Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady Macbeth notes?

• 31-05-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Can anyone give me some notes on L MAcbeth? I feel like I don't have much to say about her. Even just key adjectives would be useful! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

lizzmurph wrote: »
    Can anyone give me some notes on L MAcbeth? I feel like I don't have much to say about her. Even just key adjectives would be useful! Thanks

I think the most important thing about her is her transformation as the play progresses, from a ruthless/ambitious/unfeeling/manipulative/calculated character, to a marginalised/guilty/regretful/world-weary woman

Other things important to note:
    The argument as to whether she is flawed or fundamentally evil, i.e is she evil herself, or does the fact she had to call upon evil spirits to 'unsex' her mean that she wasnt.
    Did she cause Macbeth to murder Duncan, or did she simply encourage the ambition that lay within him - i.e whodunnit :pac:
    Her role in the Banquet scene is significant as we see her being an authoritative character for the last time - she distracts from Macbeths psychotic break by pretending to faint and urges the guests to leave - after this she starts to go downhill.
    As the play progresses Macbeth begins to become more and more independent of her, she becomes a marginalized character and he doesn't involve her in his murderous decisions any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Questions usually ask whether she is a complex or just an ordinary villain. There are arguments to both sides, I would usually lean to the side of complex, due to her dramatic transformation as the play progresses, aswell as her summoning of evil spirits and her determination to have Duncan killed, yet couldn't kill him herself.

Advertisement