Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice for a newbie

• 31-05-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi all, thinking of buying our first sea boat and at the moment we're looking at a Seahog hunter, it comes with a galvanised trailer 60Hp Mariner and 4 hp Tohatsu
    Its for sale for just under three grand, have ye any advice for what we should look out for or what questions to ask the seller when we go to view.

We will be using it for inshore use, trips to islands, a bit of fishing, during calm summer months.

Any advice greatly appreciated

here's the link to get a better idea of what Im talking about

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/seahog-hunter/7040224

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

You after buying it so?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sorry for the slow reply the weather is just so nice for boating if I didn't own a boat already I think I would have bought one yesterday too :D She looks like a nice package and if the engine's are good it's a fair price.
    Best of look with it if you did buy her.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

You after buying it so?

Unfortunately not, we had just left to view her and the seller rang to say she had just left the yard. So still looking and still looking for advice on what kind of questions to ask or things we should be looking for. That's roughly our price range €3000 and the kind of boat that would suit our needs so if anyone has any other suggestions on types of boats then it'd be great to hear them. Kinda got the bug now after our disappointment yesterday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Don't let the bug spoil your judgment :) there are lots of good deals about so take your time and have a good look around, think about it like you want something that will get you home safe so the newer the engine the better the boat is only a vessel and can be cleaned and patched up but if the engine wasn't looked after it could cost you the price of the boat again :eek:

Ask about the service history and who did it,how many hours on the engine "if newish" if possible take her out for a spin or at least hear it run on muffs and see it go in and out of gear. Bring someone with you that knows engines to look over it and check the gear oil.

Was it used in salt water if so was it flushed after each trip.

When where the wheel bearings last done.

Why are you selling the boat.

Where was the boat kept in winter.

What do I get with the boat, things like lifejackets,ropes, anchor, safety equipment and so on can soon add to the price.

Have a good look over the lines of the boat for any signs of major repairs.

Ask anything you feel like asking no matter how silly it may seem remember it's your money.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Thanks for that advice Fergal B, good things to be thinking about, can any of ye tell me what's the difference between the different types of hull on a boat, is one better or more stable than the other for a sea boat? And also the difference between a long and short shaft engine?

Getting conflicting advice from people so thought Id ask here, also, these are the few boats we're thinking of looking at this weekend if they're still for sale if ye have any opinions on them shout away :D

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/16ft-boat-for-sale/7046230

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/sea-hog-dory/6564098

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/shetland-535-boat/6849726

And at a very big stretch on the budget

http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/orkney-long-liner/6693646

we're based in Donegal so that's why the search is kind of kept to the this side of the country, thanks again for anyone who offers advice

• Advertisement

The hull on the Dory and seahog have flatter bottoms so it might be a bumpy ride getting to your fishing grounds but once you get there you will have a comfortable day's fishing, the other ones with V hulls will cut through the waves better when moving but will be a bit more unstable when stopped. 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other :)

I like the Dory, nice clean old boat with a good size cabin a good clean engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Im only going on advice I was given myself. Long/short shaft is only about the height of the transom. The top of the gearbox should be level with the bottom of the hull. If you are going to sea, a general rule of thumb is that the (beam) width should be 1/3 of the lenght. You will also want something with a high bow and gunwales, double skin and preferably an auxiliary engine.

The important things to look for aswell as the boat are the engine and the trailer. A new trailer even for a small boat can cost well over €1500. Bearings, if not looked after, can fail resulting in the wheel falling off and the boat getting damaged.

Advertisement