Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants left due to Neighbours

Options
  • 31-05-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

We've had a family renting from ourselves for the past year who have been great tenants, but have informed us that they're leaving at the end of the month due to the neighbours above them. Complaints from our tenants regarding the neighbours have been ongoing for nearly a year now at this stage. They're extremely loud, always fighting late into the night & having parties multiple nights of the week which often go on until 7-8am in the morning with large crowds.
    We have made several complaints to the management company (As have other apartment owners in the building) but nothing seems to have been done. We wrote a letter to the landlord of the neighbour's apartment through the management company about 3 months ago which appears to have amounted to nothing.
    Does anybody know what else we can do? This is starting to hurt me financially now as I'm losing at least a month's rent while searching for new tenants. But what's the point on getting new tenants in if the same issues are still going to be happening and they'll end up leaving again in a few months due to the neighbours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The odd letter to the landlord / mgt co isn't enough. Get together with the surrounding neighbours and all of you report the offenders every single time they cause a disturbance. Become an absolute nuisance to the landlord and he won't be long getting rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

We've tried that. Every single complaint we've received from our tenants, we have called the management company. As far as I'm aware, the other apartments have done the same. The lack of response from the landlord to either the complaints or my letter seems to show he just doesn't care. He's getting his rent no bother, while it's the rest of us landlords who are losing good tenants repeatedly due to this nuisance.
    I should say that my last tenants left for the same reason and had only been there for less than a year. It's causing us a good deal of stress.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Supression of minority rights- if the Management Company refuse to take action. Report them to the CRO. A bit over-the-top- but if you've exhausted all other avenues.......

Anita Blow wrote: »
    We've tried that. Every single complaint we've received from our tenants, we have called the management company. As far as I'm aware, the other apartments have done the same. The lack of response from the landlord to either the complaints or my letter seems to show he just doesn't care. He's getting his rent no bother, while it's the rest of us landlords who are losing good tenants repeatedly due to this nuisance.
    I should say that my last tenants left for the same reason and had only been there for less than a year. It's causing us a good deal of stress.

How many times have you reported complaints in the last 12 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    How many times have you reported complaints in the last 12 months?

About 5-6 times

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

The PRTB have a procedure specifically for situations like this, you can submit a complaint about the landlord ignoring their tenants' anti-social behaviour:

http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/3rd-party-applications/guide-to-third-party-dispute-applications

Don't know how long it will take your dispute to be heard though...

Anita Blow wrote: »
    About 5-6 times

Sorry but that's not enough. If they've only caused a disturbance 5 / 6 times in a year I'd nearly let it go. I gather from your OP that this is happening a couple of times a week though. You need to get in contact with your neighbours and mail each other every time there is a disturbance. If the landlord and mgt co are getting bombarded by calls and emails a couple times a week by all of you they will be a lot quicker to act.

Also keep a paper trail.

Cheers for that, it looks like that's what I'll have to do. Going to contact the PRTB also.

Advertisement