Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I am planning to run the Malaga marathon this December, followed by Paris in April 2017, followed by Berlin in September 2017. Is this a reasonable target or am I taking on too much?

Hi runnerholic, what do you want to get from running all three, PBs, just get around...charity runs....sightseeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I am planning to run the Malaga marathon this December, followed by Paris in April 2017, followed by Berlin in September 2017. Is this a reasonable target or am I taking on too much?

That's 4 and 5 months between marathons. Sounds perfectly fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Darren 83 wrote: »
    My daughter (she is 7)wants to run, but due the club training times I can't go down this route. So the only option is to train her my self but ,I'm at a loss on a plan for her. Any one got any ideas.

I know the discussion has moved on, but the advice of Dubgal, demfad and RayCun are spot on. Why don't you call up your local club (or another if they don't take 7 year olds) and talk to someone who coaches that age group and find out what they do at training.

You could also sign up for an Athletics Leader course, which is ideal for that age group, then put some of the skills you learn into practice with your daughter and a group of her friends in the local park.

All athletics for that age group will focus on developing the key fundamental skills of agility, balance and co-ordination. These are mainly coached through fun games and activities. I cannot believe that any responsible athletics club would coach a 7 year old based on a 5km programme!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Hi runnerholic, what do you want to get from running all three, PBs, just get around...charity runs....sightseeing?

Yeah DG, I'd like to progress my time with each marathon leading to an all out effort for the fast course of Berlin 2017.

Yeah DG, I'd like to progress my time with each marathon leading to an all out effort for the fast course of Berlin 2017.

It's a fine enough turnaround so I imagine how you handle and manage the training would be key. What are the targets and what plans will you use?

You haven't got a log here, have you? *hint hint*

• Advertisement

It's a fine enough turnaround so I imagine how you handle and manage the training would be key. What are the targets and what plans will you use?

You haven't got a log here, have you? *hint hint*

I am a bit wary that I should take more time between marathons as I have read before that 2 in 12 months is more than enough. Targets would be running in the 3.40's, then in the 3.30's, and finally in the 3.20's. Would probably use the Hal Higdon plans. No log as yet :)

Well I am far from an expert but there are other ways to get your time from 3:40s to 3:20s in 15 months without running three marathons.

One way would be to spend five to six months working on your 5 and 10k times and entering marathon training off that.

How many marathons have you done before (just the one, isn't it?) and what sort of shape are you in right now? Weren't you having an op and how did it go?

We should really move this discussion to your log... :)

Well I am far from an expert but there are other ways to get your time from 3:40s to 3:20s in 15 months without running three marathons.

One way would be to spend five to six months working on your 5 and 10k times and entering marathon training off that.

How many marathons have you done before (just the one, isn't it?) and what sort of shape are you in right now? Weren't you having an op and how did it go?

We should really move this discussion to your log... :)

I know running the 3 marathons is not the only way to improve my times but I would like to do a few of the city marathons abroad. Yeah I am just over an operation (so far so good) and won't be back running until July which does not give me enough time to make the DCM hence the Malaga plan in December. I've already signed up for Paris next April and I like the idea of targeting the fast course of Berlin. I like to plan ahead :) Thanks for the feedback.

Ouch. From scratch to marathon in December might be asking a bit much. Does it have to be Berlin in 2017? Frankfurt is very fast too and will give you an extra month's turnaround.

Fwiw, I would scrap racing Malaga and use it as part of training/building if you have to, i.e., you have already committed to it.

Ouch. From scratch to marathon in December might be asking a bit much. Does it have to be Berlin in 2017? Frankfurt is very fast too and will give you an extra month's turnaround.

Fwiw, I would scrap racing Malaga and use it as part of training/building if you have to, i.e., you have already committed to it.

Thanks DG, I will reconsider. The idea of running Malaga was to give me a target to train for over the autumn. Berlin is a bucket list marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ouch. From scratch to marathon in December might be asking a bit much.

That is the standard advice, and probably for a good reason.

Then again, I did my first marathon 4 months after lacing up my runners for the first time ever, and while that would be very much frowned upon I never regretted doing things that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I have a question about PBs. Say I ran a PB of 35:xx in a 5 mile race. Then a few months later I recorded a 5 mile split of 34:xx during a 10k race. What would count as your PB? I count the 5 mile result because it's an official result. Do others think differently? However if during my next 5 mile race I'd have to beat 34:xx to feel like I'd got a new PB. It's probably inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, but this a random questions thread after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

...I recorded a 5 mile split...
    How was it recorded? If it was an official chip-timed split, then sure. If it's a GPS-based split, then not a PB, it's not accurate enough

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I have a question about PBs. Say I ran a PB of 35:xx in a 5 mile race. Then a few months later I recorded a 5 mile split of 34:xx during a 10k race. What would count as your PB? I count the 5 mile result because it's an official result. Do others think differently? However if during my next 5 mile race I'd have to beat 34:xx to feel like I'd got a new PB. It's probably inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, but this a random questions thread after all.

I'd be the same as you. My fastest 10k split is 38:51 from the Charleville half but the official time was taken at halfway and not 10k. I ran 39:31 during the first 10k of the Ballynonty 10 Mile as well which was marked but fairly downhill, wouldn't have counted it anyway as it wasn't an official split so I'm still stuck with 39:46 although I wouldn't mind running that now:pac:

28064212 wrote: »
    How was it recorded? If it was an official chip-timed split, then sure. If it's a GPS-based split, then not a PB, it's not accurate enough

It's GPS - and I know its not accurate enough. It's just there in the back of my mind, ready to annoy me if don't beat it but beat an official recorded time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

If it is an officially recorded split by the race organisers published in the overall results, then yes, if it is a Garmin reading then no.

Then again it is your own personal best so you can count whatever you like!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That is the standard advice, and probably for a good reason.

Then again, I did my first marathon 4 months after lacing up my runners for the first time ever, and while that would be very much frowned upon I never regretted doing things that way.

I'm the same only I was 5 months. 0 to 26.2 from a relatively unfit and out of shape place (I did gym work and walked strolled home from college (3/4 miles) but no running)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I think during the London Marathon commentary that they mentioned a 30k world record at that split.
    Personally I don't count them, but it would be unusual for me to get one these days.

Another consideration would be, let's say you get a 5k pb in a 10k race, but the halfway point was the lowest point of the with a drop > 1mt per k and the wind was behind you all the way to that point, would you count it if it was an official split?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I think during the London Marathon commentary that they mentioned a 30k world record at that split.
    Personally I don't count them, but it would be unusual for me to get one these days.

Another consideration would be, let's say you get a 5k pb in a 10k race, but the halfway point was the lowest point of the with a drop > 1mt per k and the wind was behind you all the way to that point, would you count it if it was an official split?

No - I wouldn't count it or say it was my PB, but I'd set it as a target time for my next 5k race. I suppose if anything these unofficial split times are a good indicator of what you could do if it's been a while since you set your official PB e.g. my 5k PB is from last August and I haven't raced one since. I equalled that time in a 4 mile race on Wednesday with a few pulls and a bit of a headwind, so my next 5k race on the flat should be a PB if all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

A 5k could be like that anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Looking to enter the next one in Tallght (11/5). Anyone know when online registration opens (at the moment it just says 'no upcoming events') and also if you need to have your AAI number at the ready when entering ? First time attempting these. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Looking to enter the next one in Tallght (11/5). Anyone know when online registration opens (at the moment it just says 'no upcoming events') and also if you need to have your AAI number at the ready when entering ? First time attempting these. Thanks in advance.

The Tallaght 5k was today if that's what your talking about.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    The Tallaght 5k was today if that's what your talking about.

Talking about the Graded Meets. Next one is on in Tallaght on 11/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Talking about the Graded Meets. Next one is on in Tallaght on 11/5.

Oh I'm sorry got my wires crossed.

Usually the week of the race, best to have your AAI number although I can't recall ever having to verify.
    If it's your 1st time, remember you will still need to put your name on the start list of the selected grade you want to run in on the night.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Usually the week of the race, best to have your AAI number although I can't recall ever having to verify.
    If it's your 1st time, remember you will still need to put your name on the start list of the selected grade you want to run in on the night.

Great, thank you!

Great, thank you!
    Dear Athlete,
    Entries are now open for Graded Meeting Number Two on www.dublinathletics.com. This is on May 11th in Tallaght Athletic Club Stadium. The start time is 7.00PM. Please enter for your event in good time and help with administration on the night. This will ensure smooth running of the meeting. If you wish to be in the same race as another or other athletes please inform check in officials on the night or email adamj@citytrain.ie in advance. You have the option to use PayPal or pay on the night as before. Thanks for your cooperation. Click on attached for timetable of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

What to do

Just returned to running last week following a 3 week absence with chest infection. Cleared to run again. I had just finished a Pfitzinger 12 week training programme for multiple distances and was on my race taper week for a 10km at the K Club. Obviously I missed that. Managed to walk every day during week 2 and 3 of the layoff and had completed a good training block last year culminating in the DCM. I have just started my second base building week to get my mileage back up before I get going again.

Question 1: I want to tap into the training block that I had just finished but am not sure how that should be done. Should I complete the 2 week base build up and then perhaps complete a week or two from the 10 km programme to get back up to speed. I know that it will take a few weeks to get completely back on track.

Question 2: When should I start to race again? Just to be clear this is not a medical question.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I have my first 5k race in 3 weeks. I'm comfortable enough running that distance at this stage, after starting back on couch to 5k in January! What's the best way to prepare for the race in the next 3 weeks? Do a park run? Have a crack at the course itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I have my first 5k race in 3 weeks. I'm comfortable enough running that distance at this stage, after starting back on couch to 5k in January! What's the best way to prepare for the race in the next 3 weeks? Do a park run? Have a crack at the course itself?

I'd keep everything the same as you are doing now, you could however cover the course on a easy run but do not race it. Best of luck on the 5k most importantly enjoy the experience.

Advertisement