Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have done plenty of running/ pub crawls. But I'd never be classing them as training runs, they are just interesting and quicker ways of getting between bars.

Skip the run, or do it earlier in the day. I'd not be in the mood for running after a couple of drinks, alcoholic or otherwise. Would be too wobbly on your feet if alcoholic and too wobbly in your stomach if non-alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

This sounds like I'm talking the piss but... I have to go for a couple of drinks after work tonight as a colleague is leaving. I also have a short, easy run planned for this evening. Are there any drawbacks to doing this after a (literal) couple of pints?

Went for 20 miles after Sunday lunch once. Starter, main,desert,2 glasses of wine and an Irish coffee.
    Got on grand.
    Not exactly a fat adaption session though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You could turn it into a beer mile session I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hah! Thanks for the input folks, there seem to be more against so I'll move it to rest day on Sunday instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I have a question about scheduling....
    I have a hill race every Wednesday for the next 10 weeks. Given this type of schedule, I am wondering is there still room in the week for a hard training session, and if so when should I do it? In my club the hard session is on Mondays, would that be considered too close to my race day? I enjoy the racing, but I still want to make progress with the training also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I have a question about scheduling....
    I have a hill race every Wednesday for the next 10 weeks. Given this type of schedule, I am wondering is there still room in the week for a hard training session, and if so when should I do it? In my club the hard session is on Mondays, would that be considered too close to my race day? I enjoy the racing, but I still want to make progress with the training also.

If it were me I'd do a mini session on Saturday or Sunday. Reduce the number of reps and don't force anything looking for fast split times. Any race is a hard training session x 2 0r 3 and recovery is important. Something like 1 minute hard 1 minute easy x 10 to 20 is a great maintainable session because you are not under pressure to hit a mark like on the track. On the track you could do 200m hard 200 float x 12 to 16 and take the time for the 3 or 4 miles as a target, the idea being the float is at easy run pace or faster so the 200 hard must be controlled. It give a good aerobic workout and some turnover. These are just my ideas though and my ideas usually only work for me. After 10 hill races in 10 weeks you will be as hard as a mountain goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

This sounds like I'm talking the piss but... I have to go for a couple of drinks after work tonight as a colleague is leaving. I also have a short, easy run planned for this evening. Are there any drawbacks to doing this after a (literal) couple of pints?

You could always just drink water, or if your colleagues are the type to make a big deal about you not drinking then just buy the 0% erdinger, pour into a pint glass at the bar, and then re-join them. They won't have a clue.

Unless it's a beer mile, pick one or the other. Beer for the night or your run. If you try to do both you will have a crappy run, and a pretty uneventful evening too (leaving after 1 or 2 while the rest stay on).

I hadn't even thought of going the 0% route, that might be just the ticket! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

ger664 wrote: »
    Move your training to 8 days then. Most 7 Day cycles have 3 weekly sessions. Do those on First and last day off and the day between days and nights. Rest easy running CT or light S&C whenever you can fit it in on the work days.

Cheers. Better get the calendar out and start planning. I'll try it out for a half marathon in September, but the main goal will be a marathon next spring. I usually race a good bit over the summer (every week or so ) and amend plans to fit these races in, but for my next marathon I'm hoping to just find a plan and stick to it and leave the racing to a minimum - just to see exactly what I'm capable of if I do a plan properly. The main is to reduce fatigue levels because I find that I get to a stage where work and training clash and I'm doing hard workouts on long work days and end up being really tired after a couple of weeks. Or doing silly stuff like doing 3 workouts in 5 or 6 days before launching into the next week with very little recovery because I'm only looking ahead to the next few days rather than over the course of the whole training plan.

Now all I have to do is find a training plan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I was in a similar circumstance a while back.
    Out on the red eye for a business trip and straight to a restaurant after work.

I ate food that wasn't too filling and skipped dessert, I had a beer and maybe 1.5 glasses of wine, but lots of water.

Got to the hotel about 10pm and went on a very easy 30min run.
    You shouldn't have any issues if you are sensible on what you consume and the pace you run at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Working in a brewery for the last while, I've had the chance to experiment a bit with this, with after work quality control and such. I find that for easy sessions, 2/3 pints of a low-ish abv beer doesn't really have much of an effect. But even a single pint of something 6%+ does.

Strangely, the strength of alcohol of 1 or 2 pints didn't make much difference on harder longer mountain runs.(10+ miles at 7:30 pace)

Outside of these few drinks after work I rarely drink at weekends or otherwise, so it may be different for anyone with a higher tolerance. Basically, what I'm saying is you may as well try it out and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Hannibelle Smeeeth

My brother is massively overweight. Not John Candy style, but worryingly big. Today he mentioned he wanted to start running!!

Now Im delighted he's at that stage, but Im just a bit concerned that running whilst carrying that much weight is a massive ask of his heart and joints. I was big when I started so I am certainly not judging just worried for him.

So my suggestion to him was, walk 5k 3 times a week and aim to lose 3lbs a week for 4 weeks. I know he's an awkward fecker, so my thinking is keeping it all light and breezy wont turn him off and will keep him safe. But he's determined to run. He says he walks enough!

Anyhow the help Im after :D

1. Am I being a bit overcautious with the walking?
    2. Is the couch to 5k gentle enough for anyone no matter what the condition of the body?

Im certainly in no position to be helping anyone, but if he's going to do it, Id love him to be going out with the best information I can get for him.

Would he be prepared to go get a check-up with the doctor before he starts? I think that's always the safest option if you've any concerns to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Couch to 5k would be perfect. Also running on track and grass rather than road if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Hannibelle Smeeeth

Yes, sorry I should have said that. I have said about getting checked over. He is on the docs radar.

Thanks Ivory Tower. I'll reign in the handwringing so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'd encourage him to run but stress to him to listen to his body and be sensible . Give him the speil about slowing down and taking things very easy at the start.

Might seem like a stupid question but... can only women enter the Women's Mini Martathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Might seem like a stupid question but... can only women enter the Women's Mini Martathon?

That's the general idea I believe. There was a plonker ran it seriously last year, documented on here, screwing up the real finishing places.

Could they not change the 'mini-marathon' part of the name though? Cringey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

http://www.vhiwomensminimarathon.ie/vhi-womens-mini-marathon-race-information/vhi-womens-mini-marathon-faqs.216.html
    Are men permitted to enter this event?
    No. The Vhi Women's Mini Marathon is a FEMALE ONLY event and we ask all participants to respect this please.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Yes only women are allowed enter.
    However as someone who has taken part the last few years - I think a small number of men should be allowed enter provided they start in the walking section, are fundraising for charity (preferably a women's charity) and don't take part as a serious runner.
    When I used to be in the walkers section, I actually enjoyed seeing a few fellas dressed up in silly outfits, supporting a charity close to their hearts and they were great for giving encouragement to those around them along the route. They put a smile on your face and boosted peoples morale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

dont-go-there.jpg

dont-go-there.jpg

button.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

28064212 wrote: »

the womens mini marathon in cork allows men in drag to enter, its savage to see lads tearing around the course in dresses and handbags, always brings a good laugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

28064212 wrote: »

I thought that said 'Womens-mini-marathon-............fags' and expected a gallery of lads dressed in skirts and what not.

Yes, I clicked. Bit disappointed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

If you only have one rest day a week, whens the 'best' time to have it? Before/after a long run? After a workout? Or whenever suits best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

If you only have one rest day a week, whens the 'best' time to have it? Before/after a long run? After a workout? Or whenever suits best?

whenever it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Either is good. Personally I prefer the rest day after the longest run, and do recovery run the day after the session(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

A lad in work asked me about half marathon training plans (very much a novice). Would anyone have any suggestions - is Hal Higdon etc still the way to go!? Hoping to talk him through a plan (don't miss the long runs, eat less food etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

A lad in work asked me about half marathon training plans (very much a novice). Would anyone have any suggestions - is Hal Higdon etc still the way to go!? Hoping to talk him through a plan (don't miss the long runs, eat less food etc).

What's the eat less food - surely he needs to eat more food if he's training for a half marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    What's the eat less food - surely he needs to eat more food if he's training for a half marathon?

Woops, I intended to put a sarcastic smilie in there after that particular comment. It was intended as a (bad) joke :o

Advertisement