Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    What's the eat less food - surely he needs to eat more food if he's training for a half marathon?

That depends entirely on how much he is eating now. He might have to eat better food, or less food cutting out the crap. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So running Enfield 5k tonight, problem was this:

I was on the beer for most of Sunday, relaxed yesterday, will it affect me much tonight for the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I was on the beer for most of Sunday, relaxed yesterday, will it affect me much tonight for the race?

Well I suppose you will find out tonight :P
    It probably wasn't ideal preparation, but for 5K I am sure it will be grand!

gucci wrote: »
    Well I suppose you will find out tonight :P
    It probably wasn't ideal preparation, but for 5K I am sure it will be grand!

I thought i would change things around a bit, as missed out on my pb 2 weeks ago, so trying something new:D

I thought i would change things around a bit, as missed out on my pb 2 weeks ago, so trying something new:D

Incidentally my parkrun PB came after quite a heavy evenings drinking. I was in bed before 12, but I certainly had more than enough to drink.....what I am saying is, you should have done the 5k yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Oh your fcuked, don't even bother turning up!! As long as you hydrated properly since Sunday you'll be grand I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

If I'm an overpronator, what sort of running shoes should I wearing?

Get fitted by a qualified person, ie A good running shop with gait analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

whats the difference between a PR and a PB?

are they the same thing personal best and personal ???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

whats the difference between a PR and a PB?

are they the same thing personal best and personal ???

personal record, that's what USians say instead of PB

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    personal record, that's what USians say instead of PB

ahhh i get ya , yeah i follow run selfie repeat's blog and couldnt figure it out

Thanks!

tang1 wrote: »
    Oh your fcuked, don't even bother turning up!! As long as you hydrated properly since Sunday you'll be grand I'd say.

Yeah I drink water very often, even had the beetroot juice today!

If i don't beat 19:57 , I have an excuse:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

We already have an overpronator. Ask him what shoes he wears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

RHJ wrote: »

sounds like a hi-fi problem to me, not a running one.

buy ear buds that fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Hope your enjoying your new found sport! A lot of people here will advise you to ditch the headphones (it can be done!) and enjoy the headspace running can bring, it's also really helpful to be able to hear your own breathing for the various runs you're doing (easy/tempo etc) and of course the whole safety aspect of being able to hear any possible dangers around you. Sorry that doesn't really answer your issue but if you run without headphones you don't have to worry about them falling out :)

Yeah I drink water very often, even had the beetroot juice today!

If i don't beat 19:57 , I have an excuse:eek:

Well it all went grand, a new pb of 19:40. So happy out

I've never heard of Xamomi pistons, but I assume they're expensive, and I've no idea whether you can get hooks for them. Unless they come with them I would assume not. If they're not expensive then I would say buy a pair with hooks. I have a pair of Phillips that cost about 30 Euro. I don't wear buds anymore because they tended to work their way out and I found it annoying. As to not wearing them at all, it's up to you. I would reckon there's plenty on here, like me, who wear them when on a solo training run, but not in company or, God forbid, in a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

davedanon wrote: »
    God forbid, in a race.

Speaking of that, don't know if you noticed last night some lady had forgotten her earphones and decided she'd treat us to her bad European dance tunes, meno gave her a look, now if they could kill she was a dead woman!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Speaking of that, don't know if you noticed last night some lady had forgotten her earphones and decided she'd treat us to her bad European dance tunes, meno gave her a look, now if they could kill she was a dead woman!!

we've probably all been on the receiving end of that look :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I assume you got a PB ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I assume you got a PB ? ;)

he posted above, pb'd, pre-race beers anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

a small piece of surgical tape will keep them in place. Available from any pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

IvoryTower wrote: »
    he posted above, pb'd, pre-race beers anyone?
    Didn't spot that. I'll have to change my race strategy to adopt this into my schedule :cool:

She was right beside us, I didn't think meno had noticed her as he was a bit further ahead. She said something like: "I've forgotten the headphones, so yes, I'm inflicting this on all of you". I was hoping someone would say "well ****ing don't!" I suppose we all thought of a certain hip poster and his bluetooth speakers...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just looking at the my summer plans, would't mind racing two half marathons...

How long should you leave between them? I've got the Great North Run on september 10th but would the Rock'n'roll in early august be too close?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

crisco10 wrote: »
    Just looking at the my summer plans, would't mind racing two half marathons...

How long should you leave between them? I've got the Great North Run on september 10th but would the Rock'n'roll in early august be too close?

The rule of thumb is a recovery day for each mile raced; for half marathons that basically means a fortnight.

Having two half marathons 5 weeks apart is fine!

Well it all went grand, a new pb of 19:40. So happy out

Well done, time to think about a new username?:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement