Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RayCun wrote: »
    if people do a lot of running at an easy pace (which they should do when training for a distance event) there is a tendency for some things to disappear from their stride. Like, since they're taking shorter strides, they run with straight legs, or their arms don't move as far so they eventually stop moving. Or just running bent over.
    The strides are not just faster running, they are faster running with good form. Consciously running in a particular way at regular intervals will have a carry-over effect to when people aren't consciously thinking about how they are running.

Makes sense. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Strides I find are also a good mental stimulus.
    There are times I'm finishing up a 1 hour easy run and think 'ah fook, I have to do 6 strides', but by the time I'm finished the strides I feel nice and loose and full of happy endorphins and skip back to the car with a smile on my face (at least in my head) - another good reason to leave them to the end of the run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

cbmonstra wrote: »
    I know that after an update on my android phone, it began optimising some apps, turning off my C25k app after 5 minutes of what it perceived as inactivity.

Had to take it off the list of optimised apps, and that resolved it for me. Might be a similar issue?

I think that makes perfect sense, I've been having trouble with my podcast app knocking off randomly as well and stopping downloads after a certain time since the latest Android update. Have Runkeeper and my podcast app disabled on the optimisation list now so I'm pretty sure that's the problems sorted, thanks a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Which is better for tracking runs? runkeeper or strava

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Which is better for tracking runs? runkeeper or strava
    What do you mean by better? The GPS accuracy will be the same regardless of the app. In terms of features, depends on what you want out of them, just try them both out and see which you prefer

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

demfad wrote: »
    I would say the last big workout is too close to the race for your body to fully adapt to it. I'd do it in the Wednesday slot (or Thursday), and stick a lesser session on the Sunday, maybe a cut down version of the 1km reps just to maintain that. If you wanted to do that on Monday you could with even less reps. Just do your usual routine of pre-race strides whenever you do them (1-2 days before and you should be good to go)
    That way the big session will really sink in and you'll get a good taper too. The training you've done looks very good.

So, Demfad, I did (kinda) what you suggested. As it was a working day I couldn't really fit in an hour easy to start with so I did 30 minutes at a slightly faster pace, more steady than easy really. Then did 10k at 3.55 pace or so and a short c/d.

All on a track, 333mts on the inside lane. Jeez, thinking of doing 30 laps had me worried but you do get into a rhythm on it that is harder on tarmac/footpath/roads. As well as no traffic or hills! I'll do a slim downed reps session, maybe a few 800s or something. Will play it by ear, Sunday or Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Itziger wrote: »
    So, Demfad, I did (kinda) what you suggested. As it was a working day I couldn't really fit in an hour easy to start with so I did 30 minutes at a slightly faster pace, more steady than easy really. Then did 10k at 3.55 pace or so and a short c/d.

All on a track, 333mts on the inside lane. Jeez, thinking of doing 30 laps had me worried but you do get into a rhythm on it that is harder on tarmac/footpath/roads. As well as no traffic or hills! I'll do a slim downed reps session, maybe a few 800s or something. Will play it by ear, Sunday or Monday.

Well done Itziger! Good to have that last big one in the bag I'm sure.

Magness has a last freshen up session for 10k: It could be tailored for HM if it looks interesting for you.

5 mins LT, 5 mins easy, 2 x 3mins @ 10k pace wi 2 mins easy, 60-45-30 wi 2 mins easy between @ 5k down to 3k pace.

For HM: something like : 8 mins MP, 5 mins easy 2 x 5mins @ HM off 2 mins; 90-60-45 @ 10k to 5k pace all off 2 mins.

Your legs might like the progressing paces there. If it doesn't appeal or youre not sure, stick to the cut down reps. And if you go for it, run it on pace (not too fast as you'll be feeling good)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I've been playing around a bit with Strava and have noticed for runs where there is a bit of stoppage (I run a lot with my dog, so we stop a lot) the avg paces etc are quite different compared to my Polar M400. For example tonights run:

Km | Polar avg pace | Strava avg pace
    1 | 7:44 | 7:25
    2 | 7:50 | 7:40
    3 | 7:50 | 7:17
    4 | 8:34 | 7:51
    5 | 7:54 | 7:36

Polar overall time: 45:44, avg pace 8:03min/km
    Strava moving time: 43:08 (elasped time: 49:35), avg pace: 7:36min/km

So my random running question is which one is the one I should be paying attention to / recording? Which one is more reflective of what I actually did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

mel.b wrote: »
    I've been playing around a bit with Strava and have noticed for runs where there is a bit of stoppage (I run a lot with my dog, so we stop a lot) the avg paces etc are quite different compared to my Polar M400. For example tonights run:

Km | Polar avg pace | Strava avg pace
    1 | 7:44 | 7:25
    2 | 7:50 | 7:40
    3 | 7:50 | 7:17
    4 | 8:34 | 7:51
    5 | 7:54 | 7:36

Polar overall time: 45:44, avg pace 8:03min/km
    Strava moving time: 43:08 (elasped time: 49:35), avg pace: 7:36min/km

So my random running question is which one is the one I should be paying attention to / recording? Which one is more reflective of what I actually did?

I use the Polar400 and always find it to be spot on for distance and time, much better than any mobile apps I used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

gramar wrote: »
    I use the Polar400 and always find it to be spot on for distance and time, much better than any mobile apps I used.

I probably should have clarified that I don't use the Strava app when I'm running. Instead it automatically syncs the data when I connect my Polar, so it is using the polar data, it's just treating the parts where I'm not moving differently. Strava seems to 'weed out' that data when compared to Polar. But is it actually more representative or not? The two are spot on when I don't stop, it's only the stop / start runs that are an issue.

• Advertisement

The other day I did 5 1km intervals with about 1 min rest...4.45 4:30 4:20 4:10 and 4:00 for the last one but I couldn't maintain that pace beyond 700 metres.

For 1km intervals..is it better to increase the speed of each progressively like I tried, start faster and go progressively slower or try and maintain a steady pace for each?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

The other day I did 5 1km intervals with about 1 min rest...4.45 4:30 4:20 4:10 and 4:00 for the last one but I couldn't maintain that pace beyond 700 metres.

For 1km intervals..is it better to increase the speed of each progressively like I tried, start faster and go progressively slower or try and maintain a steady pace for each?

Take a longer recovery between your reps, say 2mins at least. Recovery should be at least half the time it takes you to do repeat. Start slower and gradually work into it is best I find.

tang1 wrote: »
    Take a longer recovery between your reps, say 2mins at least. Recovery should be at least half the time it takes you to do repeat. Start slower and gradually work into it is best I find.

Thanks, I'll rest a bit longer and that should help. I thought alright trying to do them progressively faster was the logical choice. I'm trying to get down towards a 21min or under 5km and mixing up the training a bit to try and get some more speed/endurance.

Really depends on what the purpose of the session was and what pace you were doing the intervals at.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Really depends on what the purpose of the session was and what pace you were doing the intervals at.

The purpose is to get my 5km time down so I'm trying to run a little faster for longer.

The pace was 4:45 per km and then lowering that progressively to 4 over 5 runs which is about as fast as I can go and maintain it over a km.

The purpose is to get my 5km time down so I'm trying to run a little faster for longer.

The pace was 4:45 per km and then lowering that progressively to 4 over 5 runs which is about as fast as I can go and maintain it over a km.

You would be better off running at a consistent pace for each rep based on a recent 5k time. Starting off at a 2 min recovery is fine. The risk of increasing the pace for each repetition is that you end up racing your sessions and compromise the race itself.

As the fitness improves (the reps begin to feel easier) you could shorten the recover or lengthen the rep, but keep the pace the same.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do a longer warm-up of about 5/6mins slow jog and then try for 5 reps at a consistent pace. My fastest race pace over 5km is 4.30/km so I'm think I should go below that for each rep. Would that be right? Then 2 mins rest and off again and hopefully with improvement reduce the rest time and maintain the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

Another one from me: are tempo and pace runs the same thing?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Lo_La wrote: »
    Another one from me: are tempo and pace runs the same thing?? :confused:

Both have multiple meanings.

In my world pace runs are run at the pace of your target run so for marathons they'd be runs at marathon pace and for 5k's they'd be intervals at 5k pace.

I usually call anything that is run at your lactate threshold pace (roughly the pace that you can sustain for an hour) a tempo but marathon paced runs are also called tempo runs by some and I've seen others call anything faster than easy but easier than hard intervals tempo runs. The question really can only be answered within the context of a specific plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thanks, I'll rest a bit longer and that should help. I thought alright trying to do them progressively faster was the logical choice. I'm trying to get down towards a 21min or under 5km and mixing up the training a bit to try and get some more speed/endurance.

Further to what Beepbeep said you should run all of the reps at 5k effort. For me that would mean letting the pace increase but if you're in a specific period i.e. have a target race coming up then as Beepbeep said stick to the pace and increase the length of the rep or reduce the recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

2 dopey ones here but Il shout them out anyway.
    1. Why is there no 100000m for women on the National Track and Field programme?
    2. I ran a track race last night and my time was to the hundred of a second. Is the clock activated by the gun to achieve this sort of accuracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

ultrapercy wrote: »
    2. I ran a track race last night and my time was to the hundred of a second. Is the clock activated by the gun to achieve this sort of accuracy?
    1. 250 laps of the track is a bit much to ask! (in all seriousness I don't know)
    2. I was standing beside the clock last night and the gun was electronically connected to the clock and the finish line sensors/camera.
    Were you happy with your run last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ultrapercy wrote: »

Consistent lack of entries I think
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

conavitzky wrote: »
    1. 250 laps of the track is a bit much to ask! (in all seriousness I don't know)
    2. I was standing beside the clock last night and the gun was electronically connected to the clock and the finish line sensors/camera.

Thanks for that. No not too happy but happy I ran it was an electric atmosphere and so many faces from the athletics world there. You have to hand it to the Slogo crew they really try to promote athletics in a pro active way. Last night could have blown up in their face but they backed the public to support it and they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

It seems there were a lot of us standing by the clock last night (lots so boardsies too from what I gather).
    I was amazed by the scale of the crowd last night.
    I have never seen such a huge crowd at the Sligo IT track, there was no free car park space by 9pm.
    It would be great to make it an annual 5K event. There could have been many more competitors another time - there were two local 5K races in the previous few days. Maybe even get a drinks licence sorted out for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

RayCun wrote: »
    Consistent lack of entries I think
    Yes

Tiny field for the 5000m too. Think there are 6 or 7 women running. Disappointing to see

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

dna_leri wrote: »
    It seems there were a lot of us standing by the clock last night (lots so boardsies too from what I gather).
    I have never seen such a huge crowd at the Sligo IT track, there was no free car park space by 9pm.
    It would be great to make it an annual 5K event. There could have been many more competitors another time - there were two local 5K races in the previous few days. Maybe even get a drinks licence sorted out for next year.
    Was at the clock til i got ran! Ended up watching Marys race down the back straight. Totally agree DL with your thoughts. Unbelievable atmosphere. You could organise a bar licence with maybe a few bbq's to bring in the non affiliated punter. Some of the lads that ran from our club said they got a serious buzz from it, particularly going through the tent. Athletics in the area seems to be on an upward curve. Lets hope the kids can be inspired by the excitement created last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Was at the clock til i got ran! Ended up watching Marys race down the back straight. Totally agree DL with your thoughts. Unbelievable atmosphere. You could organise a bar licence with maybe a few bbq's to bring in the non affiliated punter. Some of the lads that ran from our club said they got a serious buzz from it, particularly going through the tent. Athletics in the area seems to be on an upward curve. Lets hope the kids can be inspired by the excitement created last night.
    Hats off to DmcD. Would love to run it, and would next year, if it took place on a weekend night (like the night of 10ks). Great to see someone doing something innovative (without mud, non-toxic paint, inflatable obstacles, zombies, foam or glow-sticks) in Irish Athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

dna_leri wrote: »

I believe being able to sell alcohol at these meets is an absolute must.

• Advertisement

Last Friday I did 5x1km repeats. Yesterday I did 8km at 90% of my max effort, the last 4km into a horrible wind. I'm going to go out at lunchtime, what should I do?

Advertisement