Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Louise40

Thanks a million for your replies. Very helpful.
    I do the track sessions on a Tuesday. They are ran by a local club. Could be anything like 6x6 min 1 min recovery, 10 x35 sec 1 min recovery, 6x 3 mins.

I like the idea of doing hmp at the end of the long run. I m doing 13 miles this weekend so will definitely do 15 min at pace.

What should I am to build this up to? My long runs will go to 15 miles but that's a few wks off.

Great idea to think about second part of the half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

(Not looking for medical advice!)

After an annoying few months where I had a few issues with my ankle and seemed to spend as much time doing calf raises etc as I did running, I've been running ok for the last month or so. Got within 8 secs of my 5k PB at St Anne's parkrun a week or two ago, within 7 secs of my 10k PB at the mini marathon and ran a 2-mile PB a couple of weeks ago, so I was getting back (as far as those distance go).

I really wanted to PB in the Docklands 5k next Thursday, BUT I now have bronchitis and am on a 7-day course of antibiotics (will finish them next Wed) and haven't run a step since last Sunday. If I get better and can get back to running easy maybe this Sunday, any tips on what I should do running-wise to be ready for Thursday evening?

Sigh, it really feels like one step forward two steps back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

HelenAnne wrote: »

After an annoying few months where I had a few issues with my ankle and seemed to spend as much time doing calf raises etc as I did running, I've been running ok for the last month or so. Got within 8 secs of my 5k PB at St Anne's parkrun a week or two ago, within 7 secs of my 10k PB at the mini marathon and ran a 2-mile PB a couple of weeks ago, so I was getting back (as far as those distance go).

I really wanted to PB in the Docklands 5k next Thursday, BUT I now have bronchitis and am on a 7-day course of antibiotics (will finish them next Wed) and haven't run a step since last Sunday. If I get better and can get back to running easy maybe this Sunday, any tips on what I should do running-wise to be ready for Thursday evening?

Hi Helen. Main thing is to get the spring back in your step.

Based on this piece by Steve magness on Muscle tension:
    For shorter races, such as a 5K, higher tension is needed. To accomplish this, a good plan is to have a harder workout seven days out that goes for large tension increases, a moderate to large tension-increasing workout three days out, and some slight tension-increasing strides the day before. If you arrive on race day still feeling a little low on tension, incorporate 100m strides at mile pace or faster into your warm-up and finish with four rebound jumps for height right before racing to acutely change tension.

An example of such a schedule would include:

7 days pre-race: 6 x 400m at mile race pace with equal recovery OR 8 x 10-second hill sprints with 2 to 3 minutes rest between

3 days pre-race: 8 x 200m at 5K race pace with 200m jog

1 day pre-race: 6 x 100m strides at race pace or slightly faster

You wont be able to do the workout 7 days out but perhaps something like this:

3 days pre-race:

2 x 200m at 5K race pace with 200m jog
    2 x 200m at 3K race pace with 200m jog
    2 x 200m at mile race pace with 200m jog

1 day pre-race:
    6 x 100m strides at race pace or slightly faster

If you feel you need some kind of continuous run also (even for confidence)
    Then maybe:

3 days pre-race: 5 mins hard followed by 3 x 200 @ mile pace
    1 day pre-race: 6 x 100m strides at race pace or slightly faster

Good luck.

Edit: Ultrapercy's advice might be more relevant, I'm not up on the medical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Knock it on the head. Bronchitis is serious if you don't look after it and the anti biotic will have you drained for a while after you finish your course. Plenty of races and prior to this you were back close to your best. Let your body recover and race again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, Ultrapercy and demfad. I'll see how I feel on Monday. Don't worry, health-advice-givers -- I won't run unless it's completely cleared up. I'm a bronchitis expert (well, as far as my own lungs go) (I've had it regularly enough since childhood) and I have asthma as well (not exercise-induced, just regular) so I've got to know when my chest is clear enough to run and when it's not.
    The doctor has cleared me to run easy when I'm not coughing much and my peak flow is up again, so I won't do anything stupid.
    If I'm fully well after the weekend I might try an easy run on Monday and then one of demfad's sessions on Tuesday.

Thanks all!

ETA: if I do have to mss it I'll have the Liberties 6k and the Fingal 10k the next week to solace me :-)

• Advertisement

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Plenty of races and prior to this you were back close to your best. Let your body recover and race again in a couple of weeks.

I know, but this one has 20min pacers and my pb is 20.02 .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Can't help with that . Have u considered a flipbelt ?

The Muppet wrote: »
    Can't help with that . Have u considered a flipbelt ?

I had to google flipbelt but that looks like it might do the trick, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Id second that recommendation for a flipbelt. I barely notice mine when running and its not visible for others either. Its so good, probably the best running related €20 I've spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Id second that recommendation for a flipbelt. I barely notice mine when running and its not visible for others either. Its so good, probably the best running related €20 I've spent.

Can I ask where did you get it for €20?
    I've only seen it in one shop for €38 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Can I ask where did you get it for €20?
    I've only seen it in one shop for €38 :eek:

Well technically I didnt actually get a 'Flipbelt', I got one from a different brand on amazon. Does the same job though. This is the one I bought, though when I got it, it didnt have the zips.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01CD8GJSI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468427875&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Running+belt&dpPl=1&dpID=41X6V%2B-xJuL&ref=plSrch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

kittyclaws wrote: »
    Id second that recommendation for a flipbelt. I barely notice mine when running and its not visible for others either. Its so good, probably the best running related 20 I've spent.

Can I ask where did you get it for 20?
    I've only seen it in one shop for 38 :eek:
    I got mine from flipbelt .com . They are 29 dollars which works out around 26 euro.

It's my favourite piece of kit . I catry my phone a s5 . Gels . Keys . Money etc eear ut low and you wouldn't know you had it on .

The Muppet wrote: »
    I got mine from flipbelt .com . They are 29 dollars which works out around 26 euro.

It's my favourite piece of kit . I catry my phone a s5 . Gels . Keys . Money etc eear ut low and you wouldn't know you had it on .

They have them in Runzone in Rathgar, think they're about 20 something euro?

Random running-related question.

I do Pilates (for my RUNNING - hence the link to this thread :)), and we do these every week:

http://www.realsimple.com/health/fitness-exercise/workouts/stronger-abs-in-fifteen-minutes/bird-dog-0

I often feel (esp when we're doing the ones where you don't put your foot back down, you just keep it up for all the reps and bring your knee to your chest) my upper arms (esp just where they attack to my inner shoulder) getting v tired (they're sore today after doing them yesterday).

Is this just par for the course, or can anyone give me any tips about what bit of my core I should be tightening / using more to take the weight off my arms? (I could just ask the teacher but I don't want to be constantly asking things).

I don't mind it hurting, and I do have weak little woman arms, so that's probably why, just wondering if it was an indication that I wasn't using the right bits of me. (I might ask teacher next week, it's just that this week someone else had already asked loads of questions so I thought the question-quota for the day had been used up! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kittyclaws

Ordered a belt - thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Random running-related question.

I do Pilates (for my RUNNING - hence the link to this thread :)), and we do these every week:

http://www.realsimple.com/health/fitness-exercise/workouts/stronger-abs-in-fifteen-minutes/bird-dog-0

I often feel (esp when we're doing the ones where you don't put your foot back down, you just keep it up for all the reps and bring your knee to your chest) my upper arms (esp just where they attack to my inner shoulder) getting v tired (they're sore today after doing them yesterday).

Is this just par for the course, or can anyone give me any tips about what bit of my core I should be tightening / using more to take the weight off my arms? (I could just ask the teacher but I don't want to be constantly asking things).

I don't mind it hurting, and I do have weak little woman arms, so that's probably why, just wondering if it was an indication that I wasn't using the right bits of me. (I might ask teacher next week, it's just that this week someone else had already asked loads of questions so I thought the question-quota for the day had been used up! :))

Hi HelenAnne,
    I'd experiment a bit with the positioning of your arms. That move shouldn't be loading your arms so make sure that your hand/arm is directly under your shoulder and that your hips are level (very common for one hip to want to be higher than the other in this move so you have to focus on getting them aligned). Keeping the hips level will work your abs and should take the load off your arms. HTH.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Hi HelenAnne,
    I'd experiment a bit with the positioning of your arms. That move shouldn't be loading your arms so make sure that your hand/arm is directly under your shoulder and that your hips are level (very common for one hip to want to be higher than the other in this move so you have to focus on getting them aligned). Keeping the hips level will work your abs and should take the load off your arms. HTH.

Thanks, G! My hips are definitely level as our teacher / taskmaster walks around checking etc, and at home I check in the mirror, but it could be my arm position. Will try moving them back a bit. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Looking for a 10 mile/HM August Bank Holiday Weekend, can't seem to find anything on the usual sources. Anyone know of any low key events?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Looking for a 10 mile/HM August Bank Holiday Weekend, can't seem to find anything on the usual sources. Anyone know of any low key events?

Raw 30k

UM1 wrote: »
    Raw 30k

If I can't find a decent road run I'll be doing that, cheers.

• Advertisement

Ballynonty 10mile?

http://munsterrunning.blogspot.ie/2016/06/noticeballynonty-10-mile-road-race.html

mel.b wrote: »

Cheers Mel. Definitely an option.

I know some people on boards are coached on-line. How does it work (not looking for a coach, just asking a Random Running Question)?
    Do you have a specific aim you're working towards together, like a specific race, or is it more like club training where you just do different things on different days?
    How does your coach know what you can do / should be doing without seeing you? Do you have a real-life meet up first?
    Do you give a list of all the races etc you're signed up to and the coach works around them, or if you get a coach do you start with a blank slate and let them tell you when you're ready to race etc?

(Just interested).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I know some people on boards are coached on-line. How does it work (not looking for a coach, just asking a Random Running Question)?
    Do you have a specific aim you're working towards together, like a specific race, or is it more like club training where you just do different things on different days?
    How does your coach know what you can do / should be doing without seeing you? Do you have a real-life meet up first?
    Do you give a list of all the races etc you're signed up to and the coach works around them, or if you get a coach do you start with a blank slate and let them tell you when you're ready to race etc?

(Just interested).

I recently started working with an online coach. I used to have one over 5 years ago and back then it was all via email but technology has moved on a bit since then.

- I am aiming for one specific race. I may well keep the coach for another race after that but let's see how it goes first

- No real-life meeting as she is based in Texas. We did have a long skype call at the start, though.

- I sent the coach my training logs, which are very detailed. It should give her a good idea of my standard (and weaknesses!)

- she has a spreadsheet in google docs with the training and I fill in how the sessions went. She also has access to all my strava data

- I'm going to send the coach a list of races that we can use for preparation and she'll pick the ones I should do

- with all the data available the only thing she can't do is actually watch me run

Ideally I would have had a coach that's available in person. However, here in Kerry there was nobody available, which is why I went online. If I were living in Dublin I'm pretty sure I would have picked a different option

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Thanks Thomas, that's really interesting.

Would you feel comfortable telling us how you found her, and how much the service costs? If you would prefer not to reveal this info, I totally understand.

wrstan wrote: »
    Thanks Thomas, that's really interesting.

Would you feel comfortable telling us how you found her, and how much the service costs? If you would prefer not to reveal this info, I totally understand.

Well, I found her by reading as much about ultra running as I can for the last 10 years and had been aware of her for quite some time already. When I decided to get a coach I straight away had 2 or 3 options in mind and I settled on her.

I don't really want to say how much it costs but it's not cheap! :) After my last race I decided I don't know enough myself and get some help from someone with top notch qualifications and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

- with all the data available the only thing she can't do is actually watch me run
    Has she asked you to send video footage of any of your training sessions?

niallb wrote: »
    Has she asked you to send video footage of any of your training sessions?

No. Would be awkward to produce to be honest as I tend to run very early in the morning but I guess if she wanted a video I'd get one done.

I recently started working with an online coach. I used to have one over 5 years ago and back then it was all via email but technology has moved on a bit since then.

- I am aiming for one specific race. I may well keep the coach for another race after that but let's see how it goes first

- No real-life meeting as she is based in Texas. We did have a long skype call at the start, though.

- I sent the coach my training logs, which are very detailed. It should give her a good idea of my standard (and weaknesses!)

- she has a spreadsheet in google docs with the training and I fill in how the sessions went. She also has access to all my strava data

- I'm going to send the coach a list of races that we can use for preparation and she'll pick the ones I should do

Ideally I would have had a coach that's available in person. However, here in Kerry there was nobody available, which is why I went online. If I were living in Dublin I'm pretty sure I would have picked a different option

Thanks, that's all really interesting. Sounds like if you have enough accurate info about yourself as a runner you can get great service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Does anyone know the pros/cons of shorter interval rest periods?

eg. If I'm doing something like 10 x 2 mins, would taking rests of 30 seconds improve endurance??

And taking a longer rest (60-90 seconds) would improve speed as you're more refreshed starting the intervals?? :confused::confused:

Advertisement