Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I was/still am hoping to do a half marathon in early Sept, however i've just had 2 weeks of sickness where i've barely run at all. My last long run was 8 miles and done on the 3rd July. I've done a few easy 3-5 milers since then but i had a full 8 consecutive non-running days as well. Should i give up the ghost of doing a half in early Sept (I'd like to be reasonably comfortable doing it) or is it still achievable? I have about 5.5 weeks to train and 2 weeks taper. Or would 1 week taper be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

What's the general consensus on taking antiinflamatories for muscle injuries. Was at the physio the other day and he told me the problem, did his thing and said it should be grand in a couple of days. He mentioned that I could take an anti-inflammatory if it's not completely gone by end of week.

The pain has gone down a lot, and I could only slightly notice the pain this morning. I decided to take an anti-inflammatory there a couple of hours ago and the pain is gone now. I rarely take tablets for pain so I'm unsure how this all works. Will it be back tomorrow, or do anti-inflammatories help with healing as well? And if it's back, should I take another?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd have thought anti-inflammatories would hinder, rather than help healing because the inflammation is part of the healing process. But I'm certainly no doctor or biologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I'd have thought anti-inflammatories would hinder, rather than help healing because the inflammation is part of the healing process. But I'm certainly no doctor or biologist.
    Dunno. Your guess is as good as mine. Better probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I was told previously that an anti-inflamatory would be beneficial (for me at the time anyway) to prevent the pain/inflamation causing me to overuse /use awkwardly surrounding muscles as I was in danger of injuring them too, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't be popping meds for everything either but sometimes needs must. Sure see how you get on, but if the pain persists and only goes away with meds you ought to revisit the physio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I had an injury last year and for the first 4 (or so) weeks the physio treated it mainly with rest from running and some strengthening exercises. Only then did he tell me to take some anti-inflammatories for a week or two to clear it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Like TFB I had a similar situation last year. Rested/Dry needling etc over 3 weeks. Still flaring up so Physio sent me to the doctor where a course of anti-inflammatories did the trick over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,664 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Olympic selection for track events sees 3 from each country eligible. Can a country select any three once they have the qualification time? So, say 6 have the time, can the selectors choose any three regardless of the times or their national championships/trials results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

walshb wrote: »
    Olympic selection for track events sees 3 from each country eligible. Can a country select any three once they have the qualification time? So, say 6 have the time, can the selectors choose any three regardless of the times or their national championships/trials results?

Yea. Bolt being a prime example this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,664 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yea. Bolt being a prime example this year.

Exactly why I asked. The U.S seem to do the first three past the post in their trials-championships. Gatlin was criticising Bolt's inclusion after Bolt missed the Jamaican trials. Bit silly of Gatlin. If he wants to be the best then he should be prepared to beat D man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He did try to be the best, by doping. The irony of him complaining about who gets selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

There are pacers at an upcoming race I am taking part in. One of the pacers will be running to pretty much my goal time. How effective is it to follow these guys or are you better off running your own race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

If you plan to run even splits and so is the pacer, then its usually beneficial to run with company.

It can be great to have someone to work with or in the case of a pacer, someone who'll run even splits and keep an eye on the watch.

The kms will fly by and the camaraderie is great.

Of course, there are umpteen tales of pacers going out too fast and ruining races for people.

Some pacers may decide to run easy sections of the race ahead of your goal pace to take into account hills etc.

Best to ask pacer what the plan is and keep an eye on the watch for first few kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Djoucer wrote: »
    If you plan to run even splits and so is the pacer, then its usually beneficial to run with company.

It can be great to have someone to work with or in the case of a pacer, someone who'll run even splits and keep an eye on the watch.

Of course, there are umpteen tales of pacers going out too fast and ruining races for people.

Some pacers may decide to run easy sections of the race ahead of your goal pace to take into account hills etc.

Best to ask pacer what the plan is and keep an eye on the watch for first few kms.

Nicely put.

When it comes to pacers I think that the best advice is to find out what their plan is but to run your own race and use them as a guide to know how you're doing.

Most pacers will come in at the scheduled time but their actual pacing can sometimes leave a lot to be desired which is why you have to take on the responsibility of running your own race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Djoucer wrote: »

Clearlier wrote: »
    Nicely put.

When it comes to pacers I think that the best advice is to find out what their plan is but to run your own race and use them as a guide to know how you're doing.

Most pacers will come in at the scheduled time but their actual pacing can sometimes leave a lot to be desired which is why you have to take on the responsibility of running your own race.

Sound advise, thanks guys. Will def have a chat to them before the race but will probably just work away and run my own race. Now I would guess they will know the route and have a plan for a couple of tough sections but will prob just use them as a reference point

I have a black toe nail for a couple of months almost so I googled potential treatments. The first hit has me thinking I either have cancer or an exposed bone.

I'm lucky that it's my first, but thought it would have grown out by now. Do people usually just let it grow out or go down the sterile needle route?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I have a black toe nail for a couple of months almost so I googled potential treatments. The first hit has me thinking I either have cancer or an exposed bone.

I'm lucky that it's my first, but thought it would have grown out by now. Do people usually just let it grow out or go down the sterile needle route?

I had one for ages after my last marathon, like six months. it didn't hurt and didn't get worse so I left it

Yeah, no pain or anything either, the fecker is taking its time, and in sandal season too!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, no pain or anything either, the fecker is taking its time, and in sandal season too!

I've heard that black nail varnish is all the rage these days!

Edit: I'm another for letting it grow out but I've only got one from inadvertantly kicking my bed. I haven't had one from running yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Can anyone recommend somewhere to do 400m repeats in the Tallaght/Firhouse area? It's hard to find somewhere flat with no junctions.

• Advertisement

All you need is a 400 bit of path or field, why not Dodder Park or the park across from the scouts and Carmel soccer club? Even the path along the green area by the soccer and scout club.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

chickey2 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend somewhere to do 400m repeats in the Tallaght/Firhouse area? It's hard to find somewhere flat with no junctions.

Tymon?

chickey2 wrote: »

There's a new path running from firhouse shopping centre to old Bawn, flat, no junctions, not too much foot traffic. start at car park opposite the speaker Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

Does anyone here know what's the story with the track in lees rd in Ennis, do you have to pay to use it or can you just "rock up" and run away? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Does anyone here know what's the story with the track in lees rd in Ennis, do you have to pay to use it or can you just "rock up" and run away? Thanks

I think they charge the clubs but not individuals. Well I have never been asked in the past. Best time is morning or lunchtime. Nearly always booked up I the evenings. There is an old track in the fairgreen as well

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Highway patrolman

Thanks Ger, is it a grass track in the fairgreen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Who decides, and how is it decided, who runs in what lane in a 100, 200m track race? Why are the best athletes usually in the middle lanes? I presume the middle lanes are deemed the best lanes to be in, so is it a case of ranking prior to the event? Which is the worst lane to be in?

Ososlo wrote: »
    Who decides, and how is it decided, who runs in what lane in a 100, 200m track race? Why are the best athletes usually in the middle lanes? I presume the middle lanes are deemed the best lanes to be in, so is it a case of ranking prior to the event? Which is the worst lane to be in?

In the heats there is usually a lane draw, and then for semis and finals the fastest qualifiers get the middle lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks Ger, is it a grass track in the fairgreen?

It's a compacted gravel type track. I think that's the best way to describe it - ger might know a more technical term!

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »

Lane 1 is the worst lane to be in for the 200/400 as the turns are tighter. It's a much bigger concern on indoor tracks than outdoor tracks and apparently the bigger the athlete the bigger the issue.

Nobody likes lane 8 as there's no one to chase.

Advertisement