Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Anyone ever run in the Dublin mountains? On the roads like? I was thinking of doing my LSRs somewhere with more hills and less traffic lights, but I'm a bit dubious of running on winding roads with no footpaths. Even starting easy with, say, the R117 out towards Enniskerry, there are decent stretches without footpath. Does anyone do this? Is it a bit of a dodgy / unsafe idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

Anyone ever run in the Dublin mountains? On the roads like? I was thinking of doing my LSRs somewhere with more hills and less traffic lights, but I'm a bit dubious of running on winding roads with no footpaths. Even starting easy with, say, the R117 out towards Enniskerry, there are decent stretches without footpath. Does anyone do this? Is it a bit of a dodgy / unsafe idea?

All the time. Not on the R117 though. Too busy and too flat for me. It has footpath most of the way, by the way. R116 R115, Tristar (L1011), Ballyedmonduff road etc are all quiter and hillier. I don't find them at all dodgy or unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I often run the first part of the Dublin mountains way http://www.dublinmountains.ie/dublin_mountains_way/dublin_mountains_way/
    The bit i run is mostly pedestrian only although it does change to road in places. It's signposted and there's usually plenty of runners /walkers and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I run around there all the time. The only real unsafe stretch is the bit after the pavement runs out as you pass through the valley under the Scalp (after Kilternan). The rest of the R117 to Enniskerry has a pavement, if memory serves. You could avoid that dodgy stretch by travelling up Barnaslingan Lane, but you'd want to be fond of hills! After having a w***er try to run me off the road on that stretch through the Scalp, I avoid it now. Sadly too many psychotic malicious asshats about, to recommend running on stretches of the R117 where it is not paved (it's part of the car commute rat-run).

Plenty of wonderful running around Barnaslingan and you'll only encounter occasional motorised traffic. The road up towards Foxes is pretty unsafe in stretches (asshats), but otherwise, the DMW is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Cheers for the info folks, I reckon I'll make some excursions in that direction in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I know it's a few months away yet but does anyone know of a 10k race in Leinster in December? or even early January, they seem to be non existent for those two months of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Firedance wrote: »
    I know it's a few months away yet but does anyone know of a 10k race in Leinster in December? or even early January, they seem to be non existent for those two months of the year!

Is the 20th of November too early, if not then I'd recommend this in Portarlington. I took part in it two years ago, the route from what I can recall is pretty flat.

http://www.active.com/portarlington-colaois/running/distance-running-races/the-gingerbread-run-2016

Boards thread

diego_b wrote: »
    Is the 20th of November too early, if not then I'd recommend this in Portarlington. I took part in it two years ago, the route from what I can recall is pretty flat.

http://www.active.com/portarlington-colaois/running/distance-running-races/the-gingerbread-run-2016

Boards thread

Yep its a few weeks to early, I have a back up plan of Seely Cup in Belfast on 26th Nov which is about 3 weeks too early too but might just have to cut the plan short - it's a bit mad given the number of races throughout the year that there's nothing at all in December (I'm not driving to Athenry on Stephen's day!) Thanks though D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Yep its a few weeks to early, I have a back up plan of Seely Cup in Belfast on 26th Nov which is about 3 weeks too early too but might just have to cut the plan short - it's a bit mad given the number of races throughout the year that there's nothing at all in December (I'm not driving to Athenry on Stephen's day!) Thanks though D.

No probs, yup I get it's off season really with a few things.
    If you're down this end of the country there's an annual 10K on New Years Day that's well worth a look in Beaufort. It's ran by the Star of the Laune club.

Gorun.ie is pretty good for listings of races as well.

Popupraces.ie do have plenty of events too, they are often setup on relatively short notice...small fundraisers and the likes. I ran one of their events once and it was well done for a small operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

The Belleek Woods 10k in Ballina is usually the first weekend in December. Fast course, nice event. Not in Leinster, even better it's in Mayo.:D

• Advertisement

snailsong wrote: »
    The Belleek Woods 10k in Ballina is usually the first weekend in December. Fast course, nice event. Not in Leinster, even better it's in Mayo.:D

Hmmmm, interesting, its at 12 noon on 4th December, I'm not sure if a 2hr 45 min drive is conducive to a PB though :D:D

The aware 10k seems to be on 10th December, has anyone done this before is it an awful route / congested etc? Might just have to suck it up and pick that as my goal race.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It won't be too congested but will have some uphill sections. Not a bad one to target to be honest.

https://www.strava.com/activities/167130600/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

When you are racing do you find it of benefit to have someone telling you your race position? A few races I have done recently had someone at around half way counting out where you are in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Anyone use massage sticks. Are they any good/useful for runners.?
    I see them in lidl at the moment and was tempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

The Muppet wrote: »
    Anyone use massage sticks. Are they any good/useful for runners.?
    I see them in lidl at the moment and was tempted.

If you mean the thing like a rolling pin with spikey rotating balls, then yes I use it regularly, and find it great, especially to get to hard to reach areas like tfl and very specific smaller areas. Do be careful with it though, as I bruised myself black and blue with it the first time, due to my over zealous efforts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That's the one yep. I'll pick one up so, sure the foam roller isn't nearly painful enough.

The Muppet wrote: »
    That's the one yep. I'll pick one up so, sure the foam roller isn't nearly painful enough.

hah, have fun! I actually use it more now than I do the grid foam roller. Got mine in TK Max. Was about a tenner I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hmmmm, interesting, its at 12 noon on 4th December, I'm not sure if a 2hr 45 min drive is conducive to a PB though :D:D

The aware 10k seems to be on 10th December, has anyone done this before is it an awful route / congested etc? Might just have to suck it up and pick that as my goal race.

It was my first ever 10k, I remember it fondly... I was hungover after a Christmas party and was delighted to finish in about an hour (I wasn't as precise in those days)... If the course is still the same, it's two laps and goes into the Furry Glen twice, so uphill towards upper Glen Road. Don't remember too much congestion. Nice course but probably not a PB one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I've got 8 weeks until my next half marathon. I've been running consistently 5 days a week, averaging mid-high 40kms a week. I'd like to increase this a bit, but wondering is a tempo run, long run and three easy runs ok, or should i do intervals one day instead of an easy run?

mel.b wrote: »
    I've got 8 weeks until my next half marathon. I've been running consistently 5 days a week, averaging mid-high 40kms a week. I'd like to increase this a bit, but wondering is a tempo run, long run and three easy runs ok, or should i do intervals one day instead of an easy run?

Hey Mel. If you're comfortably running 5 days a week and want to add another day (great idea imo), I'd definitely keep the extra day as an easy run day, and do no more than 35 mins. See how you get on with that for a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Perfect, yes would like to add a recovery run on the Mondays so can do that. What about the intervals - should i look at doing some on another day or is one tempo run a week enough in terms of 'speed' work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I can't help with the question, but well done. I guess you're going for the National championship with Cooper this year then? :)

Perfect, yes would like to add a recovery run on the Mondays so can do that. What about the intervals - should i look at doing some on another day or is one tempo run a week enough in terms of 'speed' work?

I'd err on the side of caution really and think the tempo is enough for the moment. Maybe a bit of fartlek (very unstructured bursts of speed for a few seconds or a few minutes, depending on how you're feeling) on one of the easy runs each week. It's a bit of fun just speeding up to the next lamppost, recovering completely and going again in the middle of your easy run. I'd wait until after the half to start adding in any structured speedwork. You're doing great and making good progression, so you don't wanna end up injured! I think the extra very easy run will serve you better at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I'll be doing a half marathon in November most likely. It'll be my second one so I'm not overly worried about the distance itself.

What I'm wondering about is how I should do my long runs. Id normally do 16-18k once a week with about 35-45k for the week. Would I be better off building the long run up, adding a mile a week with the odd down week, or would it be better to keep the long run at about 16k and start adding 'planned' half marathon pace miles at the end?

And as I type this, I realised that I could do both. So every second week add a mile to the long run and then do a 16k run with half marathon pace miles included in the intervening weeks.

Other than that I'll have a tempo run during the week and then easy miles to make up the rest.

Ososlo wrote: »
    I'd err on the side of caution really and think the tempo is enough for the moment. Maybe a bit of fartlek (very unstructured bursts of speed for a few seconds or a few minutes, depending on how you're feeling) on one of the easy runs each week. It's a bit of fun just speeding up to the next lamppost, recovering completely and going again in the middle of your easy run. I'd wait until after the half to start adding in any structured speedwork. You're doing great and making good progression, so you don't wanna end up injured! I think the extra very easy run will serve you better at this point.

Perfect, thanks, yes want to make sure i'm not overdoing things, even though the temptation is to do everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'll be doing a half marathon in November most likely. It'll be my second one so I'm not overly worried about the distance itself.

What I'm wondering about is how I should do my long runs. Id normally do 16-18k once a week with about 35-45k for the week. Would I be better off building the long run up, adding a mile a week with the odd down week, or would it be better to keep the long run at about 16k and start adding 'planned' half marathon pace miles at the end?

And as I type this, I realised that I could do both. So every second week add a mile to the long run and then do a 16k run with half marathon pace miles included in the intervening weeks.

Other than that I'll have a tempo run during the week and then easy miles to make up the rest.

Adding tempo (HM pace) to a long run would generally only be for very seasoned runners, I would suggest you would get more benefit with less risk from adding to a mid-week shorter run.

Let's say a 1hr run and start with 2 x 10mins @ HM pace, building up to a continuous 30mins over several weeks (2 x 10, 3 x 10, 2 x 15, 1 x 30).

You will probably get the most benefit though from increasing your long run to greater than race distance 15-16 miles, nothing too crazy HM pace + 75/90 seconds per/mile.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Adding tempo (HM pace) to a long run would generally only be for very seasoned runners, I would suggest you would get more benefit with less risk from adding to a mid-week shorter run.

Let's say a 1hr run and start with 2 x 10mins @ HM pace, building up to a continuous 30mins over several weeks (2 x 10, 3 x 10, 2 x 15, 1 x 30).

You will probably get the most benefit though from increasing your long run to greater than race distance 15-16 miles, nothing too crazy HM pace + 75/90 seconds per/mile.
    Cheers, I'll leave the long runs as they are so.

What about the pace for the tempo? Would it be beneficial to do a few slightly shorter and at maybe 10k pace? Or should I just do them all as close to HM pace as possible so as to really tune into that pace? For example, I've already done a few 20-25 minute tempos at half marathon pace, so I feel I'd be ready to add a bit more something to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What about the pace for the tempo? Would it be beneficial to do a few slightly shorter and at maybe 10k pace? Or should I just do them all as close to HM pace as possible so as to really tune into that pace? For example, I've already done a few 20-25 minute tempos at half marathon pace, so I feel I'd be ready to add a bit more something to them.

Then that's a different type of session, I would prioritize the long run and tempo for a HM and if you feel capable of doing 5 sessions every 2 weeks, then add a 10k paced interval session, or chuck in a parkrun.

You could start of at 4 x 5mins at 10k pace and build up to 6 x 6mins (4x5, 5x5, 6x5, 4x6, 5x6, 6x6).

Throwing a few strides in once or twice per week would do no harm either, 6 x 30secs with good form towards the end of a medium run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Take a look at this plan.

A quick look at your log indicates that almost any training you do at this stage is going to have a beneficial effect. You need a bit more variety in what you're doing and you will do better if you slowly increase your mileage. The time numbers in the plan don't need to be adhered to so adjust them to suit your current fitness level but if you follow the progression and respect the proportionality (e.g. Long run is double the length of time of the easy run). To make it more specific to your target you could do all of the Tuesday 5k paced sessions over the first 7 weeks (leave the fartlek in as that represents an easy week) and then switch to alternating between marathon paced and tempo efforts.

• Advertisement

Cheers to both of you. I may just leave it at 2 sessions a week BeepBeep (assuming you're counting long run as a session) since the more I think about it, I feel I need more endurance rather than more speed. I enjoy tempo runs though so will keep them weekly and then strides once a week too. Should be enough to keep me going along with the odd parkrun as you say.

That plan looks good for me Clearlier. I generally find it hard to start plans, never mind stick to them, as I often can't find a plan that suits me and the days I like to do certain runs (though I do like the look of this, which seems to be very similar to the DCM graduates one). However, the fact that your plan is given in relative terms is handy. I may drop the Friday run though as I'm only running 5 days a week now (and even then not consistently for one reason or another), so another day isn't a good idea just yet, especially an extra session.

Advertisement