Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

RayCun wrote: »
    there's no sweeper bus in the 10 mile
    if you were that slow (and you shouldn't be, based on your 10k), you might see them slowing the course up around you, worst case taking down the finish line

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

3 x 1 mile @5k, with 4 mins rest? :)

Have you been training for this 5k, or is it out of the blue? If you've been training for it, then your last big session should be a continuation/extension of previous sessions. If it's a spur of the moment thing, you won't gain significant advantage from a single standalone session. Steve Magness' last big session before the goal race (bearing in mind this is on the back of 18 weeks of training) is:
    4 x (800m @5k pace/400m steady). There's no recovery, so it's 4.8km continuous. Might be a good one. That one is scheduled 12 days out. There are others that involve shorter/faster work, but if you haven't been doing any training at 3k->1 mile pace, this wouldn't be the right time to start.

Thanks Krusty, just finished off an 8 week 10km cycle (39min and feeling good after recovery today), 5km race in 2 weeks. I like the Magness plan but I might chicken out and go for the 3*1m. Last 5km pb was a parkrun 2 weeks ago @ 18.30, (I was going handy for about 2.5km and got into a race!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

jamule wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty, just finished off an 8 week 10km cycle (39min and feeling good after recovery today), 5km race in 2 weeks. I like the Magness plan but I might chicken out and go for the 3*1m. Last 5km pb was a parkrun 2 weeks ago @ 18.30, (I was going handy for about 2.5km and got into a race!)
    Personally I reckon the second option would be far easier than the 3x1 mile, but I do recover pretty well over a 400m steady section. These are both pretty tough sessions though (particularly when taken out of the context of a fully executed 5k plan), so don't be afraid to lengthen recoveries if you have to, or opt for an easier session (e.g. 10x400m @5k with 200m jog).

If you've run 18:30 in a Parkrun recently, knocking off 30 seconds should be pretty achievable, particularly if the target 5k is a fast course with a competitive field. I ran 16:20 recently in a Parkrun (albeit with a bit of a hangover), having run 15:46 in a competitive race a couple of weeks earlier).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The Muppet wrote: »
    I'm going to be in Waterford city in a few weeks on a weekend I need to run a 19 mile lsr . Is there Anyone here from down that way who might be able to advise on a safe route . I'd prefer an out and back less chance of getting lost that way .

Yep, the old HM route is about 11M out and back from the track, so if you're in the city probably 14 + an extra 2Mish if you head in as far as Tramore itself., lots of options to tag on, there's a park behind the track now also so you could do loops in there.
    Good few WAC on here, so there maybe an option to hook up with a group, Gavlor might pace you on the bike ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    , Gavlor might pace you on the bike ;)

I hope it's a tricycle he has.:)

Cheers for the info .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm only new to running and I'm walking and running for the moment. Someone told me I should drink a lot of extra water the evening before going for a run/walk. Any truth in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I don't really think a load of water the day before is the right way to think about it. You should be hydrating alright, but you'd be better consistently drinking enough water throughout the week rather than downing a few pints the evening before a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

davedanon wrote: »
    1k at race pace sounds like way too much to me. Why race before you race? Maybe a few strides instead?

Ok thanks, this is a lead on question. What the hell are strides, have seen a few people mention them in their logs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Ok thanks, this is a lead on question. What the hell are strides, have seen a few people mention them in their logs.

Short, quick runs. No more than 100m, at a sort of controlled sprint. I don't think they're designed to take anything out of you. You shouldn't feel bushed after them. It's more about leg speed, good running form etc. But there are others who would know far more about them than I.

I don't really think a load of water the day before is the right way to think about it. You should be hydrating alright, but you'd be better consistently drinking enough water throughout the week rather than downing a few pints the evening before a run.

Water isn't the only fluid that will do the job, of course. Everything counts. Tea, coffee, juices, fruit. Even beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

HigginsJ wrote: »

Cockney slang for trousers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

A friend of TbL's downed 18 litres (iirc, could be pints) of water the day before the Seville Marathon a few years ago. He was fine, but that's probably not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

yaboya1 wrote: »
    A friend of TbL's downed 18 litres (iirc, could be pints) of water the day before the Seville Marathon a few years ago. He was fine, but that's probably not recommended.

I think he was in the next jax to me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Cockney slang for trousers ;)

Would you ever go back to sleep yabowsie?! :p

Strides are where you up your pace mid or end run for 100-200m. Not quite a full sprint, more a definite increase in pace towards a sprint where you concentrate on good relaxed running form (style) and cadence (rhythm and speed of your footstrike while staying light on your feet. You shouldn't stop completely after each one, rather slow til ready to go again. Start with 4-5 and work your way up to 8-10, depending on the distance of the run and what you are training for. Easy, eh?!
    They're a very useful tool for all distances.

Too much water can be as bad as too little in its own way. Too much water can dilute your micro-thingies and lead to all sorts of horrible complications. Best to drink little and oftem, preferably water and maintain a straw-colured urine. Clear wee is a sign you may be overhydrated, dark yellow means you've had too many beers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Strides are fun as well.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Too much water can be as bad as too little in its own way. Too much water can dilute your micro-thingies and lead to all sorts of horrible complications. Best to drink little and oftem, preferably water and maintain a straw-colured urine. Clear wee is a sign you may be overhydrated, dark yellow means you've had too many beers etc.

Hyponatremia. Too much water can dilute the salt concentration in your blood, and can be fatal.

davedanon wrote: »
    Hyponatremia. Too much water can dilute the salt concentration in your blood, and can be fatal.

'S wot I said innit?! ;)

Strides are fun as well.

Oh yeah....forgot the fun bit :D

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    'S wot I said innit?! ;)

Pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I've lost my mojo and I need your help to get it back!
    I've been running (jogging) for the last couple of years, progressed from C25K up to being able to run 10k's. Now I'll never be fast and I know that. My normal 5k's are about 33 mins and racing 5k's under 31 mins but only once passed the magical 30 mins. Fastest 10k was just under 1:05, other have been around the 1.07 mark. So you get a feel for my ability etc.

But this last few weeks I'm finding running really difficult, so bad that in the past week or so I've been close to tears on 3 of my runs and actually broken down and cried after 2 of them. I'm not injured (touch wood) or unwell. It's a list of I can't's and I'm not able's. I'm not able to lift my legs, I'm trying to move but getting nowhere, I feel haven't the strength to literally move myself, I keep wanting to slow down to a walk, I feel I can't breath, I feel my mouth is as dry as the Sahara, I feel I can't run without a water bottle with me incase I need it. I can't go 5k anymore without stopping multiple times. I feel like I'm letting myself down.

I was hoping to try for a half marathon next year but the way I'm running at the moment there's not a hope of that. I'm actually considering starting back on a C25K app again.

Has anyone else experienced this before and how to you come back from it? How do you get your mojo back??!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I've lost my mojo and I need your help to get it back!
    I've been running (jogging) for the last couple of years, progressed from C25K up to being able to run 10k's. Now I'll never be fast and I know that. My normal 5k's are about 33 mins and racing 5k's under 31 mins but only once passed the magical 30 mins. Fastest 10k was just under 1:05, other have been around the 1.07 mark. So you get a feel for my ability etc.

But this last few weeks I'm finding running really difficult, so bad that in the past week or so I've been close to tears on 3 of my runs and actually broken down and cried after 2 of them. I'm not injured (touch wood) or unwell. It's a list of I can't's and I'm not able's. I'm not able to lift my legs, I'm trying to move but getting nowhere, I feel haven't the strength to literally move myself, I keep wanting to slow down to a walk, I feel I can't breath, I feel my mouth is as dry as the Sahara, I feel I can't run without a water bottle with me incase I need it. I can't go 5k anymore without stopping multiple times. I feel like I'm letting myself down.

I was hoping to try for a half marathon next year but the way I'm running at the moment there's not a hope of that. I'm actually considering starting back on a C25K app again.

Has anyone else experienced this before and how to you come back from it? How do you get your mojo back??!!

It can happy SD so don't stress, we'll find a solution :). What paces do you run your easy runs at?

Firedance wrote: »
    It can happy SD so don't stress, we'll find a solution :). What paces do you run your easy runs at?
    An easy enjoyable 5k for me would be about 34/35 mins. A workout run would be about 6.30mins per km.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

An easy enjoyable 5k for me would be about 34/35 mins. A workout run would be about 6.30mins per km.

Are you in a club or are you running on your own?

Are you in a club or are you running on your own?
    Not in a club. I run with parkrun most Saturdays and with a group maybe twice a week, it's not a club, just a few women meet at the local gaa club, do a bit of a warm up, each does their own run at whatever pace suits them and then all meet back for cool down stretches. I try to go out myself one other evening if I can.

Ok, in my opinion that's far too fast, if your 5k pb is 31 mins your easy runs should take considerably longer than 34/35 mins. If you put your 31 min 5k time in this calculator

https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/

It says your easy pace should be 7:42-8:08 km. I'd suggest taking a day or two's rest, go for a few enjoyable walks, or swims or something instead of running and then go back to it in a couple of days but at your new slower easy pace.

Edit: to say aim for the slower end of that range too so closer to 8:00Km than 7:42, you'll notice the difference in no time.

Ah thanks Firedance - I've followed that link you included above. The 5km and 10km race figures sound about right.
    But an easy run of 7:42-08.08 sure I'd nearly be walking it! But from looking at the link most of my runs seem to be around the threshold pace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great advice from FD above, but I would also say that if things that previously felt easy enough are now feeling very hard, and have been for a while, and you just don't have the energy you used to have, it wouldn't be any harm to get a blood test. Your iron might be a bit low. A small adjustment to diet or course of tablets might fix it easily.
    It is also very warm lately, and personally I find my paces drop substantially in warmer weather compared to running in winter temps and things just feel a bit harder in general.
    Hope you find a solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not in a club. I run with parkrun most Saturdays and with a group maybe twice a week, it's not a club, just a few women meet at the local gaa club, do a bit of a warm up, each does their own run at whatever pace suits them and then all meet back for cool down stretches. I try to go out myself one other evening if I can.

Maybe slow down and run with one of the group, have some craic and fun. You will find the love again.

Ah thanks Firedance - I've followed that link you included above. The 5km and 10km race figures sound about right.
    But an easy run of 7:42-08.08 sure I'd nearly be walking it! But from looking at the link most of my runs seem to be around the threshold pace...

nearly walking it is fine though SD, I'd imagine like many of us you've been running your easy runs too fast for too long and it's catching up now. They're meant to be slooowww and conversational, I promise you if you follow your prescribed paces (for all types of runs) you'll see a difference :)
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Great advice from FD above, but I would also say that if things that previously felt easy enough are now feeling very hard, and have been for a while, and you just don't have the energy you used to have, it wouldn't be any harm to get a blood test. Your iron might be a bit low. A small adjustment to diet or course of tablets might fix it easily.
    It is also very warm lately, and personally I find my paces drop substantially in warmer weather compared to running in winter temps and things just feel a bit harder in general.

Yep that's a good point too Oso, never any harm to get these things checked. It has indeed been very hot lately but that's just another (very good!) reason to sloooow right down.

Would you consider setting up a log here SD? It's so beneficial to get feedback from other runners and to learn different ways of doing things.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    It is also very warm lately, and personally I find my paces drop substantially in warmer weather compared to running in winter temps.
    Thanks Ososlo - I've actually started back taking Floradix iron supplement a couple of days ago. So I'll see how that goes. Plus I had spinach with my dinner yesterday *imitates pop-eye*

Advertisement