Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Ah thanks Firedance - I've followed that link you included above. The 5km and 10km race figures sound about right.
    But an easy run of 7:42-08.08 sure I'd nearly be walking it! But from looking at the link most of my runs seem to be around the threshold pace...

Running slowly can feel like you're walking but you actually get used to it really quickly and its enjoyable. I fine it easier to run by time rather than distance on easy days. ie go for a 40 minute run rather than a 3 mile run

Not every session needs to be at the slower pace, you could still do a faster session one day a week.

Easy days easy means you'll have more energy for the harder days.

Hope you get your mojo back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks Firedance - a few people had said to me before about setting up a log but I just assumed that the logs were for the really good fast runners, I've only been following a couple of them myself and most of the loggers are very good runners ....hmmm.... maybe that's how they became good runners!

Yeah it's the trying to get my head around running slow. My goals were to get my 5kms under 30 mins and my 10ks under an hour. sO I kept focusing on trying to get faster. But if I can't even keep myself running without stopping then my time goals are going to be harder to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks Firedance - a few people had said to me before about setting up a log but I just assumed that the logs were for the really good fast runners

Haha definitely not! All abilities! Get logging!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thanks Firedance - a few people had said to me before about setting up a log but I just assumed that the logs were for the really good fast runners, I've only been following a couple of them myself and most of the loggers are very good runners ....hmmm.... maybe that's how they became good runners!

Yeah it's the trying to get my head around running slow. My goals were to get my 5kms under 30 mins and my 10ks under an hour. sO I kept focusing on trying to get faster. But if I can't even keep myself running without stopping then my time goals are going to be harder to achieve.

Not at all, they're for everyone, I'm not exactly Ciara Everard :p. As The Muppet says above you don't have to run easy every day, find a good 5k improvers plan that incorporates speed work (you could use your parkrun day for the speed). My 5k race time when I started out was 33 mins, my current pb is 25:52, I only started improving when I took the excellent advice offered here to slow right down. Best of luck getting your mojo back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I have a log and I'm not a good runner! I started it more or less as soon as I started running and I would absolutely recommend it. It can give you a bit of focus, allow you to go back and see your improvements, and get really valuable input from the swathes of very knowledgeable folks that frequent this place. Do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

The Muppet wrote: »
    I'm going to be in Waterford city in a few weeks on a weekend I need to run a 19 mile lsr . Is there Anyone here from down that way who might be able to advise on a safe route . I'd prefer an out and back less chance of getting lost that way .

The new greenway is one option which starts in bilberry. Its about 10k from the start to the train station at Kilmeaden - out and back gives you 20k and then depending on where you are staying you can make up the rest in and around the city.

Like others have said the road to Tramore is popular with runners, the section from Supervalu to the ringroad (Ballinadud Roundabout) you can follow a lovely pathway off the road (entrance on the left hand side as you are heading toward Tramore) - after that roundabout you are on the hard shoulder of the road but it is pretty wide. Once you get to tramore you can do a loop around the town or head straight to the beach area. There is a Parkrun there every Saturday morning so you could throw in a loop of that route if you wanted. If you are looking for a hill - Galway's hill is tough but the view from the top is amazing!

The ring road around the city is fairly dull but I find it useful sometimes when I am home because the footpath is very wide and there is a nice rhythm of up and down without any mad hills.

If you find yourself close to the distance required but still needing a mile or so, depending on where you are it might be handy to know that a loop of the People's Park is 1km and a loop of the Park at the start of the Tramore Road (close to Supervalu and Kingfisher gym) is 2km.

You could also look up the route of the Viking Half Marathon (although I'd cut the loopy bits in city centre for a regular run) or Waterford AC's half. Hope that helps, if I think of any other suggestions I'll let you know. Because I am only there about once a month there are probably others on here who have more routes they could share - whereas I tend to stick to those few.

spaceylou wrote: »
    The new greenway is one option which starts in bilberry. Its about 10k from the start to the train station at Kilmeaden - out and back gives you 20k and then depending on where you are staying you can make up the rest in and around the city.

Like others have said the road to Tramore is popular with runners, the section from Supervalu to the ringroad (Ballinadud Roundabout) you can follow a lovely pathway off the road (entrance on the left hand side as you are heading toward Tramore) - after that roundabout you are on the hard shoulder of the road but it is pretty wide. Once you get to tramore you can do a loop around the town or head straight to the beach area. There is a Parkrun there every Saturday morning so you could throw in a loop of that route if you wanted. If you are looking for a hill - Galway's hill is tough but the view from the top is amazing!

The ring road around the city is fairly dull but I find it useful sometimes when I am home because the footpath is very wide and there is a nice rhythm of up and down without any mad hills.

If you find yourself close to the distance required but still needing a mile or so, depending on where you are it might be handy to know that a loop of the People's Park is 1km and a loop of the Park at the start of the Tramore Road (close to Supervalu and Kingfisher gym) is 2km.

You could also look up the route of the Viking Half Marathon (although I'd cut the loopy bits in city centre for a regular run) or Waterford AC's half. Hope that helps, if I think of any other suggestions I'll let you know. Because I am only there about once a month there are probably others on here who have more routes they could share - whereas I tend to stick to those few.
    Ah thanks a million Spaceylou that gives me loads of options the greenway looks interesting , appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Ah thanks a million Spaceylou that gives me loads of options the greenway looks interesting , appreciate it.

If you go on the greenway just note a few things:

1. The first km or so seems to be a mecca for dog owners who do not scoop after their dog has pooped, but after that first stretch it improves dramatically!

2. The surface is not paved all of the way but is fine, especially for an LSR where you won't be trying to go fast.

3. Don't worry about being close to the train tracks, there is only a train every 30 min, its a slow steam train and because they are for tourists and kids they blow the horn thingy very often so you'll hear it coming!!

4. There is a small shop at the Kilmeaden station where you can buy water (and chocolate)

5. Keep an eye out for the magic forest complete with fairy doors :)

spaceylou wrote: »
    If you go on the greenway just note a few things:

1. The first km or so seems to be a mecca for dog owners who do not scoop after their dog has pooped, but after that first stretch it improves dramatically!

2. The surface is not paved all of the way but is fine, especially for an LSR where you won't be trying to go fast.

3. Don't worry about being close to the train tracks, there is only a train every 30 min, its a slow steam train and because they are for tourists and kids they blow the horn thingy very often so you'll hear it coming!!

4. There is a small shop at the Kilmeaden station where you can buy water (and chocolate)

5. Keep an eye out for the magic forest complete with fairy doors :)

Sold. The dogs won't bother me I have 2 but i'll watch my step, and I like the idea of the out and back for 12 miles and the rest plodding around Waterford itself just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Hey sunny dayz, sorry to hear your struggling.
    You've read my log so they definitely aren't for good runners only, I'm constantly waiting to be sent to a walking forum instead with my speed! Get started on one. Composing your post in your head about how bad a run is going is a great way of taking your mind off the run itself!

I might be completely off the mark, but I found a while ago I was getting really fed up of constantly aiming to get better at 5km and feeling the gains weren't coming fast enough. Would you think about aiming for a 10mile or half marathon sooner than you were, I found concentrating on running slower for a lot longer got me looking forward to running again, running long distances feels like an achievement no matter how slow you are going.

Also, agree big time with the muppet about running for time rather than distance, I much prefer it now! It takes the pressure off having to go fast cuz you will be out for as long anyway.

Hope things turn around for ya soon, feel free to ignore all of this in favour of people who actually know what they're talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Okay, I go out for a run and my Garmin gives me 2 readings, an actual time and a moving time. The actual time is always slower than the moving time even though I am always on the move and never stop during the run. Anyone know whats going on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Okay, I go out for a run and my Garmin gives me 2 readings, an actual time and a moving time. The actual time is always slower than the moving time even though I am always on the move and never stop during the run. Anyone know whats going on here?

how much difference is between the times? Are you stopping at traffic lights, road crossings etc?

mel.b wrote: »
    how much difference is between the times? Are you stopping at traffic lights, road crossings etc?

It was 25 seconds difference today on a 7k run, laps of the local park so no stopping. There are a couple of tight turns so I wonder could it be that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Is it a bad idea to have a cold shower after an intense run?

I was running in 28 degree heat here with a strong sun on my back....I was sweating absolute buckets....

Jumped in the shower and put it on as cold as it would go....stayed in there for at least 8 minutes....came out and still sweating buckets for a good 30 mins after....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

It was 25 seconds difference today on a 7k run, laps of the local park so no stopping. There are a couple of tight turns so I wonder could it be that?

I don't have a garmin, but when you look at the data and graphs, can you see a spot where your pace suddenly drops/dips? On my polar i can see those reverse spikes (for want of a better word!) where i have paused/stopped. It might help you identify if its the turns causing it or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

keith16 wrote: »

I was running in 28 degree heat here with a strong sun on my back....I was sweating absolute buckets....

Jumped in the shower and put it on as cold as it would go....stayed in there for at least 8 minutes....came out and still sweating buckets for a good 30 mins after....

While it's important to cool down fairly quickly I think you should wait a small bit and you need to eat and drink as well. All that sweat means a good bit of salt lost obviously. Next time, try eating and drinking, let the body cool down and then after a bit, take that cold shower.

Is there much tree cover in the park? It could be the watch momentarily losing signal from the gps satellite, it assumes you've stopped running. Mine does the same , I usually go by the average moving time when review my run data.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

keith16 wrote: »

Have this problem a lot as I do must of my running at lunchtime.

A cold shower is grand, but in my experience, it doesn't matter how long you stand under it unless you've actually cooled down properly after your run.

If you're not at work, then I'd say take as long as you can taking it easy after a run and wait til you've stopped sweating before having a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Personally I reckon the second option would be far easier than the 3x1 mile, but I do recover pretty well over a 400m steady section. These are both pretty tough sessions though (particularly when taken out of the context of a fully executed 5k plan), so don't be afraid to lengthen recoveries if you have to, or opt for an easier session (e.g. 10x400m @5k with 200m jog).

If you've run 18:30 in a Parkrun recently, knocking off 30 seconds should be pretty achievable, particularly if the target 5k is a fast course with a competitive field. I ran 16:20 recently in a Parkrun (albeit with a bit of a hangover), having run 15:46 in a competitive race a couple of weeks earlier).

good man krusty. Just done 3*1m at lunch time (5.33,5.38,5.34) .
    I'm scared now, my slightly educated running mind tells me a sub 18 is now v realistic, just have to go and do it now!

Is there much tree cover in the park? It could be the watch momentarily losing signal from the gps satellite, it assumes you've stopped running. Mine does the same , I usually go by the average moving time when review my run data.

There are a few trees so it could be that I guess. Going by the moving time makes me a quicker runner so that's a bonus :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

mel.b wrote: »
    I don't have a garmin, but when you look at the data and graphs, can you see a spot where your pace suddenly drops/dips? On my polar i can see those reverse spikes (for want of a better word!) where i have paused/stopped. It might help you identify if its the turns causing it or something else.

Usually I would drink a quick pint of water and then jump into the shower. I can't eat straight after a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

jamule wrote: »
    good man krusty. Just done 3*1m at lunch time (5.33,5.38,5.34) .
    I'm scared now, my slightly educated running mind tells me a sub 18 is now v realistic, just have to go and do it now!

Those times are 17:20 pace; loosen the reins and go for 17:40

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

Question regarding improving 5k times:

I've been running very inconsistently for maybe 4 years. My fastest 5k is (as expected) not amazing at 25 mins 28 secs, but I've realised that I've only improved it by maybe 30 seconds over a few years. I'd like to improve, but I have limited time.

Now, more recently I've been doing Parkrun every Saturday. I reckon I have time for 1 other midweek run. So, what kind of session should that be?
    Hills?
    Intervals?
    A flat out 5k?
    Longer run?
    Something else?

Also just out of curiosity, very roughly what kind of time improvements would you think I could make by maybe Christmas, and by this time next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd have thought a long run would be pretty vital for improving over 5k, but really like, would you not be able to fit a 30 minute interval or hill session in somewhere and do 3 days? Note: I'm not an expert.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You'll probably improve your times simply by running more. Don't over complicate things.

Get out running more, at least 3 times per week, at an easy conversational pace. You need to a good running base before adding in fancy sessions IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Usually I would drink a quick pint of water and then jump into the shower. I can't eat straight after a run!

Above should be moved to the random answer thread or the 2-Ronnies Mastermind thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

CameraBag wrote: »
    Question regarding improving 5k times:

I've been running very inconsistently for maybe 4 years. My fastest 5k is (as expected) not amazing at 25 mins 28 secs, but I've realised that I've only improved it by maybe 30 seconds over a few years. I'd like to improve, but I have limited time.

Now, more recently I've been doing Parkrun every Saturday. I reckon I have time for 1 other midweek run. So, what kind of session should that be?
    Hills?
    Intervals?
    A flat out 5k?
    Longer run?
    Something else?

Also just out of curiosity, very roughly what kind of time improvements would you think I could make by maybe Christmas, and by this time next year?

Bit of personal background would help define how good or otherwise 25:28 is for 5k. Are you doing other training aside from the park run and 1 midweek run?

Personally I would agree with Maximus Alexander that a longer run would be a good way to improve your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Question that occurred to me when watching some of the track & field at Rio.

When the sprint athletes are lining up in their lanes, do they have to stand up while they're being introduced to the crowd? Are they allowed for example to sit on the bollard with the lane number on it until they're called into the blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Bit of personal background would help define how good or otherwise 25:28 is for 5k. Are you doing other training aside from the park run and 1 midweek run?

Personally I would agree with Maximus Alexander that a longer run would be a good way to improve your time.

Thanks guys. A long run sounds good, and maybe I can forget about the fancy sessions for the moment, as adrian522 said.

Background: Male, in my 20s. BMI is like 24ish. Parkrun age grade tends to be something like 51%, if that's useful. The reason I think I can manage just one run is that I also cycle maybe 4 times per week.

Will try doing a midweek 10k for the next while so and see what happens. Thanks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, you'll get **** all improvement on two runs a week. if you want to get better, put some more time into it

Advertisement