Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

New runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Bit of an awkward q but any tips for keeping runners fresh? I've noticed that my runners are starting to smell a bit. During the summer I used to leave them outside as much as I could, weather permitting. But now I can't really do that anymore and I've noticed they're starting to smell a bit. Apart from Febreeze any suggestions on how to stop my runners from getting stinky?

you will need to rotate, they need at least 2 days off after 3 days on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I only got them during the summer and just have the one pair of running runners. I only use them for running and the odd occasion of walking into work (which won't be too often now as it's getting darker and less safe). They wouldn't be over worked, run approx 2-3 times a week and not that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Bit of an awkward q but any tips for keeping runners fresh? I've noticed that my runners are starting to smell a bit. During the summer I used to leave them outside as much as I could, weather permitting. But now I can't really do that anymore and I've noticed they're starting to smell a bit. Apart from Febreeze any suggestions on how to stop my runners from getting stinky?

Minimise the amount of time spent in the runners i.e. take them off when you've finished running and don't wear them around the house. You could try using talcum powder or odor eater spray as well.

Also, make sure that you examine your feet to make sure that your feet are perfectly healthy. Foot infections that don't feel terrible can smell terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Hope this is the right place for this question. Our club are looking at improving our facilities. One of the ideas is to put a artificial pitch inside the track to get income from hiring it out/ sharing with soccer club. Have any other clubs gone down this road and how did it work out.. Other question is could you do javelin, hammer on an artificial pitch? There would be no space to do it elsewhere. Thanks in advance

Not sure if its allowed in competition but I have seen people throw rubber tipped javelins on an AstroTurf pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Clearlier wrote: »
    Minimise the amount of time spent in the runners i.e. take them off when you've finished running and don't wear them around the house.

This seems a bit dur. Surely everyone takes them off when the run is finished, and doesn't wear them at all apart from when running?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I really can't recommend this product enough, I was very skeptical when I first got it but it really has worked. Basically you just spray it on a let it dry, you may need to do it a few times. Then you can spray it on every few days as needed. I know for a fact it's available in The Run Hub as that's where I got it, but you could probably order it online, worth a shot.

http://www.2toms.com/stink-free-spray/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Good ole baking soda does the trick very well, just sprinkle some in your runners and leave over night. I'd also take the insoles out occasionally (if not stuck down) and let them breath separate to the runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can anyone tell me whether the Garmin Connect app shows Personal Records. I went into the side menu but can't find it. I have to log in via Chrome to access it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

click activity stats, then running, you should see it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Can anyone tell me whether the Garmin Connect app shows Personal Records. I went into the side menu but can't find it. I have to log in via Chrome to access it.

Thanks

i don't believe you can

conseng wrote: »
    click activity stats, then running, you should see it then.

Cheers found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Has anyone else felt 'drunk' after running? Slightly nauseous, staggering to the bathroom during the night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Has anyone else felt 'drunk' after running? Slightly nauseous, staggering to the bathroom during the night ?

Yeah I get that sometimes.

Not quite sure if it's the run or the beer and wine after it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Glonass

Are there many race bandits in the race series? What about running with the crowd for some adrenaline kick and will NOT claim any water, juice, goodies etc? I know most of you will say its wrong, taking up space, claiming free goodies etc. But I genuinely want to run in a race WITHOUT getting/claiming anything. Its not a major expensive marathon so should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Glonass wrote: »
    Are there many race bandits in the race series? What about running with the crowd for some adrenaline kick and will NOT claim any water, juice, goodies etc? I know most of you will say its wrong, taking up space, claiming free goodies etc. But I genuinely want to run in a race WITHOUT getting/claiming anything. Its not a major expensive marathon so should be ok?

If you know we are going to say it's bad form to do this, but you really want to do it anyway, then why are you asking? You're gonna do it anyway, you don't need someone to justify it.

Why can't you just pay for the damn thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Played 5aside yesterday for the first time in a good few months and I'm quite stiff with a few aches in the legs. I'm not training for any majorly important races at the moment, so I want to keep up the 5aside for a bit. Anything I can do to keep the niggles to a minimum? I usually run on a Thursday and Saturday and the 5 a side is on a Friday.

Anything I can do to keep the niggles to a minimum?

Stop playing football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Run on Tuesday and Sundays or better still give up the footie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Get a good sports massage every couple of weeks, will keep the niggles at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

ger664 wrote: »

Well I run Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, I just mentioned Thursday and Saturday cause they're the days either side of the football.

I really don't want to give it up completely, I'm obviously not gonna play in the week or two before a race, but during general training, I'd like to give it a go, and I know the niggles will get fewer as I play more.

Im just wondering if a recovery run the same night or the next morning would be beneficial. Or if I should take the next day off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Glonass wrote: »

The race series have to jump through a thousand hoops to get permission to run in the park, safety plans, permission from OPW, traffic management plans. The costs of putting on the race go far beyond the water and juice, there are stewards, start and finish line organisation, first aid, the list goes on and on.

If you want to join a free race, there are parkruns all over the country.
    if you want to run in the race series, pay for your entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

ger664 wrote: »

Well I run Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, I just mentioned Thursday and Saturday cause they're the days either side of the football.

I really don't want to give it up completely, I'm obviously not gonna play in the week or two before a race, but during general training, I'd like to give it a go, and I know the niggles will get fewer as I play more.

Im just wondering if a recovery run the same night or the next morning would be beneficial. Or if I should take the next day off completely.

I would treat 5 aside as a session, 3 hard days in a row is asking for trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

If I've 2 '5k's' in less than 3 days,with the second being a priority, how much effort should I make me in the first? The first is a road race,the later is Cross Country and I'll be hoping to 'score'. Should I just treat the first as a jog? Maybe l.s.r. pace? Thanks SðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I have a training question. I'm following the P+D up to 55 plan for Dublin. The plan has 2 tune up more races - 8k-15k with 4 weeks to go and 8k -10k with 2 weeks to go. Work commitments and a lack of Saturday races around here means these are not a goer for me. I was originally planning to do these as solo time trials, but I just don't fancy it. The first one would have to be done in between night shifts and the second one at 6:30am. I've struggled with the long tempos on this plan, but would do a lot better in a race environment. I think I've found a local 10k race on a Saturday with 3 weeks to go which suits time wise. I would plan on doing the Tuesday and Wednesday runs as per the plan. If I do it this way this also means moving my last 20 miler back a week.

So the current plan is:

4 weeks to goal
    Fri 4 recovery w/6x100m strides Sat 8-15k tune up race Sun 17m long

3 weeks to goal
    Fri 11 medium long Sat 4 recovery Sun 20 long

2 weeks to goal
    Fri 4 recovery w/6x100m strides Sat 8-10k tune up race Sun 16m long

What I'm thinking of doing is something like:

4 weeks to goal

3 weeks to goal
    Fri 4 recovery w/6x100m strides Sat 10k tune up race Sun 17m long

2 weeks to goal
    Fri 11 medium long Sat 4 recovery w/6x100m strides Sun 16m long

Even doing it this way leaves me with the prospect of doing the 17 miler after a night shift on the 3 weeks to go bit, but I'd just be doing as much of that as I can at very easy pace. Overall the miles per week would stay the same with the adjustments I've made.

I'm actually more concerned with pushing the 20 miler back a week than missing one of the tune up races/time trials. In any case I'd have to adjust the plan because there's no way I'm doing a 20 miler in between night shifts. I also think that maybe doing one race instead of 2 time trials would be more beneficial.

My goal time for Dublin would be in the region of 3:25 - 3:30.

As per usual, any feedback would be most appreciated.

Doing intervals with a Garmin 230. I had a workout set up and transferred to the watch.
    I presumed that the autolap would be automatically turned off but it was wasn't and the result is that the laps are marked for both the normal autolap plus the interval laps. Bit of a mess.

It seems it is an issue with the newer garmin models and you have to turn off the autolap before the workout which is a pain in the ass.

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks

I have a training question. I'm following the P+D up to 55 plan for Dublin. The plan has 2 tune up more races - 8k-15k with 4 weeks to go and 8k -10k with 2 weeks to go. Work commitments and a lack of Saturday races around here means these are not a goer for me. I was originally planning to do these as solo time trials, but I just don't fancy it. The first one would have to be done in between night shifts and the second one at 6:30am. I've struggled with the long tempos on this plan, but would do a lot better in a race environment. I think I've found a local 10k race on a Saturday with 3 weeks to go which suits time wise. I would plan on doing the Tuesday and Wednesday runs as per the plan. If I do it this way this also means moving my last 20 miler back a week.

So the current plan is:

4 weeks to goal
    Fri 4 recovery w/6x100m strides Sat 8-15k tune up race Sun 17m long

3 weeks to goal

2 weeks to goal
    Fri 4 recovery w/6x100m strides Sat 8-10k tune up race Sun 16m long

What I'm thinking of doing is something like:

4 weeks to goal

3 weeks to goal
    Fri 4 recovery w/6x100m strides Sat 10k tune up race Sun 17m long

2 weeks to goal
    Fri 11 medium long Sat 4 recovery w/6x100m strides Sun 16m long

Even doing it this way leaves me with the prospect of doing the 17 miler after a night shift on the 3 weeks to go bit, but I'd just be doing as much of that as I can at very easy pace. Overall the miles per week would stay the same with the adjustments I've made.

I'm actually more concerned with pushing the 20 miler back a week than missing one of the tune up races/time trials. In any case I'd have to adjust the plan because there's no way I'm doing a 20 miler in between night shifts. I also think that maybe doing one race instead of 2 time trials would be more beneficial.

My goal time for Dublin would be in the region of 3:25 - 3:30.

As per usual, any feedback would be most appreciated.

With only over a month to go to the marathon I wouldn't be overly pushing it in races unless you have a few seasons in your legs. Your legs are probably very fatigued now from long runs and injury risk may be high. Just concentrate on getting the long runs in and plenty of recovery/sleep.

Edit: from my limited experience I would push out the distance of one of your lsrs to 22/23 miles and don't be overly worried about tempo/strides stuff. I just think that plans that stop at 20 miles will leave you short on the day in the last few miles of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I'm looking for a dapper Ireland t-shirt to do an overseas marathon in, so people can obviously cheer me on because I'm Irish.

Tom Barr had a lovely one at the olympics, anywhere I could buy something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm planning to do a half on Sat week. These are my last 11 long weekend runs (in KM sorry :p), just wondering what i should do this weekend for my last lsr. Would 10/12km be about right?

10, 10, 12, 12, 8 (race), 13, 7.5, 14, 15.5, 10 (race), 18

Advertisement