Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Probably been asked before but.... can anyone recommend a physio that does sports massages somewhere around kilmainham/Inchicore or in town? (Has to be a physio because the insurance will give me money back for that but not a massage therapist etc!)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

keith16 wrote: »
    I am going to be near a beach soon and I would like to run on the beach.

Can I run on beach?

You can of course. But beaches are usually heavily cambered towards the sea. I've tried it and it wasn't as fun as I imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Can I run on beach?

Of course you can, its tough, a good strength workout, you will use alot of muscles that you wouldn't normally.

The sand will give you a cheap pedicure too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Can I run on beach?

Sure you can.

I ran for half an hour on a beach last Monday. Was very enjoyable. The only thing that hurt afterwards were the soles of my feet as I was running barefoot.

Make sure the sand is very compact. If it's soft it will put a lot of strain on your Achilles tendon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Can I run on beach?

Is this a serious question?? Who decides what colour socks you wear every morning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Just noticed this morning that my hands reach my shoulders or almost when striding,is that why my arms sometimes hurt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Just noticed this morning that my hands reach my shoulders or almost when striding,is that why my arms sometimes hurt ?

when you are doing strides or when you are running easy?
    If you are running fast, your hands should be going hip to lip, but not all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I completely forgot that I meant to reply to you on this!

I wonder if you're overusing your arms to drive through each stride because of a core weakness? If you're not doing much already I suspect that you'd benefit from some strength training. Bodyweight exercises should be enough (pull ups - overhand and underhand), press ups, dips, clams etc.. You don't need to get too sophisticated. You could also join a pilates and/or yoga class. These are all good for you and your running even if it doesn't address your arm problem (although I suspect it will).

Last but not least you might want to experiment with hills in your training. Doing short sharp ones 6 - 8 seconds all out with full recovery (3-4 mins) and longer ones (30s - 90s) will help with your strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Clearlier wrote: »
    I completely forgot that I meant to reply to you on this!

I wonder if you're overusing your arms to drive through each stride because of a core weakness? If you're not doing much already I suspect that you'd benefit from some strength training. Bodyweight exercises should be enough (pull ups - overhand and underhand), press ups, dips, clams etc.. You don't need to get too sophisticated. You could also join a pilates and/or yoga class. These are all good for you and your running even if it doesn't address your arm problem (although I suspect it will).

Last but not least you might want to experiment with hills in your training. Doing short sharp ones 6 - 8 seconds all out with full recovery (3-4 mins) and longer ones (30s - 90s) will help with your strength.

Thanks,yes I'd say my core probably is very weak. Will push-ups or weights help at all ? Regarding 'pull-ups' I don't have access to a 'bar'. (Don't go to a gym) I'd say it would help hugely though. Is there anything else similar that would help?.

' Previous Poster' that was just me going very gently this morning and still the arms were high.

Most of the time, your arms should be swinging very gently, just to balance the movement of your legs. You only need to drive your arms when you are going fast or uphill, and you drive your arms back to help lift your legs up and through. Your arms only go forward as a 'bounce' , you push one back and it swings forward as the other side is pushed back.
    It sounds like you might be lifting your arms forward, rather than them swinging forward on their own?

• Advertisement

Thanks,yes I'd say my core probably is very weak. Will push-ups or weights help at all ? Regarding 'pull-ups' I don't have access to a 'bar'. (Don't go to a gym) I'd say it would help hugely though. Is there anything else similar that would help?.

The Fitness forum is probably the best place to ask for this kind of information. Some simple bicep curls will give you some benefits but I much prefer pull ups because it's a whole body exercise. You don't need to have a perfect bar for this. I have used doorways, stairs, swings and whatever was to hand in the past. That said, there are lots of parks which have bars these days or if you don't mind looking a little out of place there are plenty of playgrounds with monkey bars which you could use. If you find an outdoor gym somewhere you could integrate a small circuit into your run if you wanted, run a lap, do a set of chin ups, dips and push ups, run another lap and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I'm looking for some advice about returning to a plan after illness.

I'm doing the meno marathon plan for DMC and was getting on great til this week. I felt OK on Monday but on Tuesday I couldn't get out of bed. Temperature, body aches, headache etc. Doctor says it's a virus and I just need rest and fluids which I've been doing. I haven't run since the half last Saturday and doctor said don't run til the weekend.

I'm scheduled to do a 22 mile run on Sunday. I've done 2x20 mile runs so far. The run on Sunday is just to "get time on the feet" and then there's another 22 miler the following week which includes "stuff" (a bit of MP and or steady).

So should I do the long run this Sunday or just a shorter one? If I shorten it should I leave out the "stuff" in next weeks run as I've not completed a 22 mile run yet?

chickey2 wrote: »

I'm doing the meno marathon plan for DMC and was getting on great til this week. I felt OK on Monday but on Tuesday I couldn't get out of bed. Temperature, body aches, headache etc. Doctor says it's a virus and I just need rest and fluids which I've been doing. I haven't run since the half last Saturday and doctor said don't run til the weekend.

I'm scheduled to do a 22 mile run on Sunday. I've done 2x20 mile runs so far. The run on Sunday is just to "get time on the feet" and then there's another 22 miler the following week which includes "stuff" (a bit of MP and or steady).

So should I do the long run this Sunday or just a shorter one? If I shorten it should I leave out the "stuff" in next weeks run as I've not completed a 22 mile run yet?

Sorry to hear that, it's a tough time to get sick in a training cycle.

Listen to your body, if it's ready to run again at the weekend then take it easy and certainly don't run 22 on Sunday - maybe 10 if you're feeling good - then back into it next week - maybe do 80%, then 90% of the plan and by midweek back to following it. If at any stage you start feeling the symptoms coming back then back right off. You only have one body, you have loads of marathons that you can do.

Do not under any circumstances try to make up for the missed training - you can't make it up, you can only get injured!

Look after yourself!

yeah, this weekend I'd be thinking about getting a couple of recovery runs in, no more, and building slowly back to normal.

A 22 mile run is not necessary at all, in my opinion, 20 is plenty for most people, let alone if you're going to start adding in MP or steady miles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Can I run on beach?

Yes
    You can of course. But beaches are usually heavily cambered towards the sea. I've tried it and it wasn't as fun as I imagined.

It varies.

I think due to the tidal range near on the coast near me the beaches tend to be fairly massive and flat and actually quite good for running on. Does also mean that it's very easy to get caught by the tide coming in as it moves very very fast up the beach.

If the sand is solid then it's easy to run on and only a bit more draining than running on grass. If it's up and down sand dunes or soft sand then you'll be knackered after 100 meters.
    This will be me again in a couple of months doing a 10km race up and down the beach. The fancy dress in the wind is a bigger issue than the sand on that particular beach.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154886696200290&set=t.630120289&type=3&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

chickey2 wrote: »

Menos advice on this is not to do the 2ND run if you haven't done the first so if you don't get out for 22 this week don't do the 22 with stuff the following week (so just do 22 easy) you'll see on the plan each long run is run once easy and then again with frills. Get well soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Where would a fella get a copy of this meno plan?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Gavlor wrote: »
    Is this a serious question?? Who decides what colour socks you wear every morning?

Ah get over yourself. It was a light hearted way of asking "are there any special considerations when running on the beach, since I have never done this before"

Thanks for all the helpful replies, of which, there were many.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ah get over yourself. It was a light hearted way of asking "are there any special considerations when running on the beach, since I have never done this before"

Thanks for all the helpful replies, of which, there were many.

The only thing you need to remember is to run along the water edge, not towards it.

Apart from that, it's just plain old running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Gavlor wrote: »
    The only thing you need to remember is to run along the water edge, not towards it.

Apart from that, it's just plain old running.

Instructions unclear...am drowning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Looking for some advice on lower back stretches. Did DCHM at weekend plus a 9.5mile warmup so just shy of 23 miles. 4 mile easy run on Sunday topped off a peak mileage wk for me of 55 miles. Monday am in work suddenly the lower back started tightening up badly and hasn't cleared since. Day 4 of not running and I'm going crazy here. Went to a local physio on Tues and she did some dry needling on the back and has literally given me one exercise which is lie face down and push up with hands under shoulders keeping lower body on floor so creating an arch. Lying down in bed is helping a lot but I've a desk job and back is in bits by 6pm. Have my real physio booked for Monday am but can't til then. Any pointers would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

adrian522 wrote: »

Jaysus. The Meno plan is starting to go viral. :p

An excellent plan for 2nd and subsequent marathons, three-time user myself. Might do it again yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

donnacha wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on lower back stretches. Did DCHM at weekend plus a 9.5mile warmup so just shy of 23 miles. 4 mile easy run on Sunday topped off a peak mileage wk for me of 55 miles. Monday am in work suddenly the lower back started tightening up badly and hasn't cleared since. Day 4 of not running and I'm going crazy here. Went to a local physio on Tues and she did some dry needling on the back and has literally given me one exercise which is lie face down and push up with hands under shoulders keeping lower body on floor so creating an arch. Lying down in bed is helping a lot but I've a desk job and back is in bits by 6pm. Have my real physio booked for Monday am but can't til then. Any pointers would be welcome.

Is it possible to get up and walk round the office from time to time? Or better, to do some of the work while you're standing up?

There are lots of back exercise routines, but you would get different ones depending on the cause of the back pain. This one looks good and has some of the stuff I do regularly:
    http://darebee.com/workouts/lower-back-workout.html

Some of the exercises would be contra-indicated for certain causes (if the injury is disk-related and recent the hip rolls will probably be sore) so be very very careful and don't do anything that hurts. I'd be inclined to do as little as poss till you see the physio. You can put your back in "rest" by lying on the ground with your legs at 90degrees and the lower legs propped up on a chair....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Is it possible to get up and walk round the office from time to time? Or better, to do some of the work while you're standing up?

There are lots of back exercise routines, but you would get different ones depending on the cause of the back pain. This one looks good and has some of the stuff I do regularly:
    http://darebee.com/workouts/lower-back-workout.html

Some of the exercises would be contra-indicated for certain causes (if the injury is disk-related and recent the hip rolls will probably be sore) so be very very careful and don't do anything that hurts. I'd be inclined to do as little as poss till you see the physio. You can put your back in "rest" by lying on the ground with your legs at 90degrees and the lower legs propped up on a chair....

Physio on Tues said definitely not disc related. She reckoned it was more due to a bad seated posture. I had no issues prior to Monday and didn't do anything to tweak the back if that makes sense. My gut tells me the increase in the peak mileage for the week topped off with a 23 miler with 13 just shy of MP was asking for trouble :(

Thanks for the link though, will try that out. Edit the back extension one is the one I'm doing.

donnacha wrote: »
    Physio on Tues said definitely not disc related. She reckoned it was more due to a bad seated posture. I had no issues prior to Monday and didn't do anything to tweak the back if that makes sense. My gut tells me the increase in the peak mileage for the week topped off with a 23 miler with 13 just shy of MP was asking for trouble :(

Thanks for the link though, will try that out. Edit the back extension one is the one I'm doing.

My gut says that your gut is probably right!

Everything that I've read says that the key thing with back pain is to keep moving. Set a reminder on your phone or your email to get up every 20 mins - go get a glass of water, talk to someone, anything so long as you get up and move around for a minute. Hope you get sorted quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

Another sickness related Dublin marathon question. I'm feeling fairly crap all this week, nothing too bad but a heavy headcold and feel weak enough as a result. Haven't run since Monday and am away this weekend. Going to miss a long run as a result but will hopefully get a last (third) 20 miles in next weekend.

Not much I can do about the missed runs at this stage, but is it likely that missing nearly a full week of training so close to the marathon will have an effect on the day? I've been following an 18 week program and this is the first hiccup.

Cheers.

Baxtardo wrote: »
    Another sickness related Dublin marathon question. I'm feeling fairly crap all this week, nothing too bad but a heavy headcold and feel weak enough as a result. Haven't run since Monday and am away this weekend. Going to miss a long run as a result but will hopefully get a last (third) 20 miles in next weekend.

Not much I can do about the missed runs at this stage, but is it likely that missing nearly a full week of training so close to the marathon will have an effect on the day? I've been following an 18 week program and this is the first hiccup.

Cheers.

Think of it as an easy week. You'll be surprised at how well you go when you start feeling better. Will it have an impact, yes but not a really noticeable one. If you get in 17 of 18 weeks training perfectly then you'll have done better than most of the rest of the field. 17 weeks is a lot of training and it'll stand to you when you run your race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

@adrian 522. Cheers for that. Might try that for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Louise40

Louise40 wrote: »
    Traffic is nuts since schools are back. Thinking of running to work, 2 miles door to door. Any recommendations on running backpacks?

Anyone?

Advertisement