Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Louise40 wrote: »
    Anyone?

There are two previous threads on backpacks over in Gear&Equipment:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98124105

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056370963

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Louise40 wrote:
    Anyone?

Lidl and Aldi have ok ones sometimes. Small enough but cheap. I've worn them on long runs with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Lidl and Aldi have ok ones sometimes. Small enough but cheap. I've worn them on long runs with no problems.

There was this thread too:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057542033

I've run with that damn bag over 850 miles this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I'm starting to build mileage towards a spring marathon. Did a slow run of 16 km today. My question is how far and at what pace should I do a recovery run tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I suppose it depends on your weekly mileage, but about 5k at a slower pace than today would be standard enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Yesterday noticed my arms rising and hurting. Consciously kept them lower and hands open,the discomfort vanished thanks for adviceðŸ˜႒ I will though work to improve my coreðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm not really sure what pace to do my training runs at, tempo, easy, lsr etc? I used an online calculator which takes a recent race time to calculate these paces but the paces i get when i enter a recent 5km time are very different to the paces i get when i enter a recent race time over 10km or half marathon. Any advice as to which i should use?

For example my 5km time suggests i should run easy @ 10:08 whereas my half times suggests easy @ 11:19.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what pace to do my training runs at, tempo, easy, lsr etc? I used an online calculator which takes a recent race time to calculate these paces but the paces i get when i enter a recent 5km time are very different to the paces i get when i enter a recent race time over 10km or half marathon. Any advice as to which i should use?

For example my 5km time suggests i should run easy @ 10:08 whereas my half times suggests easy @ 11:19.

It sounds like you're lacking endurance. For example if you could run a 5km race in 25 mins you should be able to run a 10km in about 52 mins and a half in about 1:55. However, if you're lacking endurance then you might find that the 10k might come in at 57 and the half at 2:10. As you focus on building endurance you'll find that the 5k time comes down a little but the 10k and half times will improve by a relatively greater amount.

As for what pace you should run at I'd say closer to 11 mins for the moment but you should focus on how you feel. You should be well able to have a conversation and going at a pace that initially at least is one that you feel like you could run all day at. As you get fitter you'll find that your easy pace speeds up for the same effort.

It's better to err on the side of too slow than too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Clearlier wrote: »
    It sounds like you're lacking endurance. For example if you could run a 5km race in 25 mins you should be able to run a 10km in about 52 mins and a half in about 1:55. However, if you're lacking endurance then you might find that the 10k might come in at 57 and the half at 2:10. As you focus on building endurance you'll find that the 5k time comes down a little but the 10k and half times will improve by a relatively greater amount.

As for what pace you should run at I'd say closer to 11 mins for the moment but you should focus on how you feel. You should be well able to have a conversation and going at a pace that initially at least is one that you feel like you could run all day at. As you get fitter you'll find that your easy pace speeds up for the same effort.

It's better to err on the side of too slow than too fast.

Yeah i figured i lack endurance alright. The times you gave there as estimates are very close to my 5k, 10k & half times :o Plan at the moment is spend the next 3 months focusing on building endurance and then pick a couple of Spring time races and focus on them early in the new year. Thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

ariana` wrote: »
    Yeah i figured i lack endurance alright. The times you gave there as estimates are very close to my 5k, 10k & half times :o Plan at the moment is spend the next 3 months focusing on building endurance and then pick a couple of Spring time races and focus on them early in the new year. Thanks for the advice :)

There's absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. We've all been there and most of us are still there to some extent. It takes time, months and years of running to build up your endurance to the point where you run roughly equivalent times across a wide range of distances - most people never fully get there. However you will see improvements all the time. Run at a variety of paces and enjoy the process. Consistency is the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

OK this is the definition of a Random Running Question...
    An not sure if I should post elsewhere but my Garmin 220 has recently died a month before DCM and 3 months out of warranty :(
    I've done all the hard resets suggested online, inc. plugging in and reseting and still nothing
    The Garmin logo flashes then goes off
    Garmin UK will take back but I need to post and they'll charge £68 for looking
    Has anyone had any repairs done in ROI/NI ?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

OK this is the definition of a Random Running Question...
    An not sure if I should post elsewhere but my Garmin 220 has recently died a month before DCM and 3 months out of warranty :(
    I've done all the hard resets suggested online, inc. plugging in and reseting and still nothing
    The Garmin logo flashes then goes off
    Garmin UK will take back but I need to post and they'll charge £68 for looking
    Has anyone had any repairs done in ROI/NI ?
    Cheers
    Is it really worth £68? Garmin will take your unit, send you a working refurbished unit and give you a 3 month warranty. So is a refurbished Garmin 220 really worth $68 + your Garmin? I know it's a lot of money, but a new one is £135. It just makes more economic sense. A Garmin Forerunner 230 costs £151 new on Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I just read that study that says gentle cool downs are more effective than ice baths. By that reasoning, should I try a gentle recovery run today at lunchtime if I want to feel good for parkrun tomorrow? (My legs are so sore -- due to being away and sick and injured all in a row -- and then the terrible shock of a speed session on Wed & 8 miles last night). Would I feel better or worse after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I just read that study that says gentle cool downs are more effective than ice baths. By that reasoning, should I try a gentle recovery run today at lunchtime if I want to feel good for parkrun tomorrow? (My legs are so sore -- due to being away and sick and injured all in a row -- and then the terrible shock of a speed session on Wed & 8 miles last night). Would I feel better or worse after?

Everyone is different but I find it's very rare that 3 or 4 miles ran very easy on grass doesn't help sore legs. Having said that, if you're just coming back and put a lot of stress on the legs this week, feeling 'good' tomorrow might not be realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

+1 to the above answer.

What did the study say about doing nothing, i.e putting your feet up and getting an early night? or doing some gentle stretching or foam rolling?

The point is not to trust a study but to do your own experiment of 1. My experience tells me an recovery run, followed by some manipulation of the sore points, then feet up and an early night works best for me. That's my plan to recover from last night's workout and be ready to go again tomorrow anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

TBH, I shouldn't have said I read the study - I read the article ABOUT the study and it only compared ice v cool down jog AND I presume the cooldown jog should have been after the hard effort, not 16 hours later :).

I'd planned on 2-3 miles on grass and then foam rolling tonight, but when I got up from my desk at lunch time I was just too stiff and sore, so I walked a couple of miles instead (to Tiger, where I went mad buying Halloween things.)

Thanks, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I just read that study that says gentle cool downs are more effective than ice baths.
    Studies are so often misunderstood.

Say the study found that (made-up figures):
    1. gentle cool-downs resulted in a better outcome in 40% of cases
    2. ice-baths resulted in a better outcome in 25% of cases
    3. No difference was found in 35% of cases
    Gentle cool-downs can correctly be claimed to be statistically "more effective". But the general case means nothing to the individual. You've still got a one-in-4 chance of being in the group that finds ice-baths are better. For the individual, the only study that matters has a participant size of 1

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

The day after both my 24 and 12 hour races, the roof of my mouth felt like it was burnt and raw, and eating and drinking hurt.
    Anyone else ever experience anything like this and why might it happen?

There was a BBC programme along these lines once were they compared the effectiveness of an ice bath, a hot bath and no bath on groups of recreational runners by getting them to take an ice bath, warm bath or do nothing after a race (it could have been one of those Hell and Back type things). They then asked them how they perceived any DOMs they might have after a couple of days. The outcome was that the baths were better than nothing, but there was very little difference between the two baths. The conclusion was an ice bath was marginally better - and at the elite end of things it's all about marginal gains so the ice bath may be of benefit to them, but for the normal joe soap you'd probably be just as well off taking a nice warm bath. OK, it was a very subjective study and the outcomes were more than likely dumbed down for TV - but I found it interesting anyway.
    Personally I like a nice warm bath and foam rolling straight afterwards with some stretches leaves my legs feeling like magic for a couple of days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Ososlo wrote:
    The day after both my 24 and 12 hour races, the roof of my mouth felt like it was burnt and raw, and eating and drinking hurt. Anyone else ever experience anything like this and why might it happen?

Open to correction of course but I've discussed this with my brother before and we believe its a combination of flavour fatigue leading to primary burning mouth syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

There was a BBC programme along these lines once were they compared the effectiveness of an ice bath, a hot bath and no bath on groups of recreational runners by getting them to take an ice bath, warm bath or do nothing after a race (it could have been one of those Hell and Back type things). They then asked them how they perceived any DOMs they might have after a couple of days. The outcome was that the baths were better than nothing, but there was very little difference between the two baths. The conclusion was an ice bath was marginally better - and at the elite end of things it's all about marginal gains so the ice bath may be of benefit to them, but for the normal joe soap you'd probably be just as well off taking a nice warm bath. OK, it was a very subjective study and the outcomes were more than likely dumbed down for TV - but I found it interesting anyway.
    Personally I like a nice warm bath and foam rolling straight afterwards with some stretches leaves my legs feeling like magic for a couple of days afterwards.

They also found the ones who had no bath are still single

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭The Bin Man

"The day after both my 24 and 12 hour races, the roof of my mouth felt like it was burnt and raw, and eating and drinking hurt.
    Anyone else ever experience anything like this and why might it happen?"

This is a sign of overtraining. In your case, the ultra races have overstressed your system - understandably. Adequate rest and good nutrition should help. Just a word of advice: if you feel like this during training, back-off. Also, taking 1000mg of Vit C, 3 times a day for a couple days, should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Can some tell me the exact heights of the following please;
    A) the hurdles for the 110 hurdles
    B) the hurdles for 400m hurdles
    C) the barriers in the steeplechase.

Odd question I know but I'm going to make my own for the crack.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Agree with the Vit C advice but is 3000mg not a bit overkill? Probably end up pissing it away?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Finally heading into DCM taper time after the 3/4 in Longwood yesterday. Even though this is my 3rd marathon I've never had a sports massage and and hoping some of you good folks might be able to recommend one around the Deansgrange/Cabinteely/Killiney area or thereabouts.

Secondly I'm a bit wary of said massage as since Dec last year I pretty much gave up on the foam roller and any pre/post run stretching routine and apart from my back issue 2 weeks ago I've ran 2016 pretty much injury free. Could a sports massage do more good than bad at this stage? All opinions welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

"The day after both my 24 and 12 hour races, the roof of my mouth felt like it was burnt and raw, and eating and drinking hurt.
    Anyone else ever experience anything like this and why might it happen?"

This is a sign of overtraining. In your case, the ultra races have overstressed your system - understandably. Adequate rest and good nutrition should help. Just a word of advice: if you feel like this during training, back-off. Also, taking 1000mg of Vit C, 3 times a day for a couple days, should help.

The only thing it will do is overuse your kidneys as the fook it back out if your system

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Anyone know how to prevent cramp in a marathon? I was going well for 23m and then just on a very small incline I felt a twinge in my groin and I had to really shorten my stride for last 5K and anytime I tried to quicken my groin cramped.

Is this a matter of strength training? I really only run with the odd bit of swimming and a little bit of core prior to club sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Anyone know how to prevent cramp in a marathon? I was going well for 23m and then just on a very small incline I felt a twinge in my groin and I had to really shorten my stride for last 5K and anytime I tried to quicken my groin cramped.

Is this a matter of strength training? I really only run with the odd bit of swimming and a little bit of core prior to club sessions.

Cramps can be caused by all kinds of things and even the scientists studying this cannot agree on the causes.

What I do know is that in my case cramps are generally caused by not being quite fit enough to run at the pace I am trying to race at. Doing enough workouts at race pace or slightly faster is generally what helps preventing cramps in a race.

However, if that's your problem and you're aiming for the Dublin marathon that's too late now. What you can do when the first spasms are hitting is slow down just a little bit and try to manage it before it develops into a full cramp.

Just impulse bought a pair of Asics DS Trainer 21 (€70 in Elverys). Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm fully aware this can vary from person to person but I'm just looking for peoples general opinion. And is it too close to Dublin to break them in?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Just impulse bought a pair of Asics DS Trainer 21 (€70 in Elverys). Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm fully aware this can vary from person to person but I'm just looking for peoples general opinion. And is it too close to Dublin to break them in?

great shoe nice and light and hard to come by out in the sticks. Not too late at all.

Advertisement