Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Just impulse bought a pair of Asics DS Trainer 21 (€70 in Elverys). Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm fully aware this can vary from person to person but I'm just looking for peoples general opinion. And is it too close to Dublin to break them in?

I've a couple of pairs of the 20s on the go at the moment. Assuming they haven't changed much I've found them great. Extremely comfortable (on my feet at least) and quite light.

The one draw back is they wear out relatively quickly. One of my pairs has a mere 450km on them and it's getting to the stage where I wouldn't use them for anything beyond short recovery runs. By comparison I've a pair of GT-1000 with ~700km that are still good even for 18-20 milers.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Cramps can be caused by all kinds of things and even the scientists studying this cannot agree on the causes.

What I do know is that in my case cramps are generally caused by not being quite fit enough to run at the pace I am trying to race at. Doing enough workouts at race pace or slightly faster is generally what helps preventing cramps in a race.

However, if that's your problem and you're aiming for the Dublin marathon that's too late now. What you can do when the first spasms are hitting is slow down just a little bit and try to manage it before it develops into a full cramp.

Cheers TFBubendorfer, unfortunately this happened in my marathon this past Sunday. I think you might be right and my early pace caught up to me. Next cycle I think I need some more longer runs (20 +) and more miles at race pace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How is mountain running on the knees, I presume it varies from person-to-person?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

How closesly can you mimic going to a physio by using a foam roller? I've this niggle in my calf that I know I can go to my physio and he'll rub it out and I'll be back running the next day nearly. Is this sort of stuff doable on your own with a foam roller, or do you need a physio to go deeper and leave the foam rolling for injury prevention rather than cure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

"How is mountain running on the knees, I presume it varies from person-to-person?"
    Try and stay upright if you can, it's a lot easier.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

"How is mountain running on the knees, I presume it varies from person-to-person?"
    Try and stay upright if you can, it's a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

How is mountain running on the knees, I presume it varies from person-to-person?

As someone who would not have the strongest knees I found mountain running had no impact. Perhaps this reflects the softer ground underfoot and that with undulating surfaces you are striking the ground in a different way each time. Sore on the calves and thighs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Anyone know of any 10km races in Leinster this weekend? Most P&D plans have one scheduled for Saturday if you are doing Dublin. Will sub in a parkrun if nothing suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Anyone know of any 10km races in Leinster this weekend? Most P&D plans have one scheduled for Saturday if you are doing Dublin. Will sub in a parkrun if nothing suits.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057494334

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

One in Carlow and one in Meath HERE
    Both on Sunday though, thinking of doing one and pushing my long run to Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

sideswipe wrote: »

Think I'm going to do Meath one and a longish run on Monday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

sideswipe wrote: »

I was considering doing the same (different race though), but there's no way I'll get the long run done on Monday, so it's back to doing a solo time trial Saturday. I've paid the entry fee for the race and all. I'm half thinking of ditching the time trial tomorrow, and doing a 10 mile warm up Sunday followed by the 10k@ marathon pace. I'm working tomorrow morning and the thought of getting up that early to run that hard on my own is really not appealing. Any thoughts? (Following P+D)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Can someone point me towards tunguska's recce of DCM and has the course changed since?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'm running a 10k event on Sunday, I haven't run one for a while but I have been training for it over the last few weeks. I train without having water during my runs, I just have it before and after but there is a water stop at the 5k mark of the course. I know I can complete the run without taking on water but I'm wondering will it give me a boost for the final 5k if I do or should I just avoid it seeing as I never use it? I know the recommendations are to not change anything in an event and to only do the same as you do in training but water should be ok, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I'm running a 10k event on Sunday, I haven't run one for a while but I have been training for it over the last few weeks. I train without having water during my runs, I just have it before and after but there is a water stop at the 5k mark of the course. I know I can complete the run without taking on water but I'm wondering will it give me a boost for the final 5k if I do or should I just avoid it seeing as I never use it? I know the recommendations are to not change anything in an event and to only do the same as you do in training but water should be ok, right?

It wouldn't do you any particular good, and you shouldn't 'need' it anyway. Who gets thirsty in a race as short as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Can someone point me towards tunguska's recce of DCM and has the course changed since?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92595815&postcount=754

It's still the same course as far as I can tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92595815&postcount=754

It's still the same course as far as I can tell

There's some changes from 2014 - the first 3 or 4 miles and the last 4 are on a slightly different course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

davedanon wrote: »
    It wouldn't do you any particular good, and you shouldn't 'need' it anyway. Who gets thirsty in a race as short as that?

I already said I don't need it but my question was more about the bio-mechanics of whether my body would respond positively, negatively or neutrally to it when I usually don't have it. It's a run that is open to all fitness levels so some participants may want it and for many, like me, it may be their first 10k in a while (or ever) so to some, it isn't a "short" one but hey, thanks for injecting a fine air of superiority into your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I was considering doing the same (different race though), but there's no way I'll get the long run done on Monday, so it's back to doing a solo time trial Saturday. I've paid the entry fee for the race and all. I'm half thinking of ditching the time trial tomorrow, and doing a 10 mile warm up Sunday followed by the 10k@ marathon pace. I'm working tomorrow morning and the thought of getting up that early to run that hard on my own is really not appealing. Any thoughts? (Following P+D)

I'd do the time trial or maybe even a park run. The purpose of the tune up race is to bring a bit of speed and sharpness to the proceedings after all the endurance stuff. Running a good hard 5/6 mile tempo followed by the long(ish) run the next day will yield better stimulus than the race with extra miles tagged on IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I already said I don't need it but my question was more about the bio-mechanics of whether my body would respond positively, negatively or neutrally to it when I usually don't have it. It's a run that is open to all fitness levels so some participants may want it and for many, like me, it may be their first 10k in a while (or ever) so to some, it isn't a "short" one but hey, thanks for injecting a fine air of superiority into your comment.

Everybody is different so no-one can state for sure how you will react to water in a 10k. It is abundantly clear, though, that a properly hydrated body won't require water in a race of that length. It might feel nice, help psychologically maybe; but you don't need it.

• Advertisement

FFS. There's too many people around here too easily offended. I was trying to help. Stick it in your ear next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

Drink at least 2 litres the day before so you are well hydrated on the day. I know some people don't drink at all on a 10k but I tend to just have a mouthful of water on a race of that distance. Once you are well hydrated in advance it shouldn't effect your performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Can you drink too much water? I'm usually on about 5L a day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

RasTa wrote: »
    Can you drink too much water? I'm usually on about 5L a day

Yes, it can cause hyponatremia which, in rare cases can be fatal.

Someone like Tim Noakes would argue that the dangers of dehydration have been exaggerated owning to an increase in overhydration related causalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

It's very simple.
    If thirsty, drink.
    Else, do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yes, it can cause hyponatremia which, in rare cases can be fatal.

Someone like Tim Noakes would argue that the dangers of dehydration have been exaggerated owning to an increase in overhydration related causalities.

I'm usually caked in white salty sweat after a hard race, I wonder if drinking too much water is doing it.

I do take gels now but it's usually the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

dna_leri wrote: »
    It's very simple.
    If thirsty, drink.
    Else, do nothing.

Most folks would, I believe, run 10k without needing a drink. I'd only stop, disrupt my rhythm, etc. at the 5k mark, if I was really gumming for a drink. Drink a bit before, have a pee, run, drink after.

I'm usually caked in white salty sweat after a hard race, I wonder if drinking too much water is doing it.

It's the complete opposite. If you've got salty deposits on your face you're too far down the dehydration spectrum. I'd say rather than plain water you should be taking something to replace all the salts you're losing in the sweat. Zeros contain magnesium, salts etc; just drop a tab into your water bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

All that means is that you have a salty sweat. This CAN be a sign of dehydration but not necessarily so - some people just tend to be salty sweaters.

Heat training would decrease the amount of salt in you sweat but it's not really an issue you should be too worried about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

When doing a session with a mix of hard/easy ks, does it matter how 'easy' the easy ks are? ? So i did a session at the weekend (1k easy, 1k @ 5k pace) x 3 and i wonder if my easy Ks should have been a little bit harder than they were iykwim :confused:

KM1: 5:43
    KM2: 4:50
    KM3: 6:16
    KM4: 4:54
    KM5: 6:27
    KM6: 4:55

Advertisement