Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Thats a great find, its even cheaper in blue & I'm really not precious. Hope it still there at the weekend.

Great watch, been using it the past year with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thats a great find, its even cheaper in blue & I'm really not precious. Hope it still there at the weekend.

Here's another option, Not sure of the features on the polar but the garmin connects to phone via bluetooth

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-garmin-forerunner-25-bluetooth-smart-alarm-chronograph-watch-010-01353-11-p99986436.html

£85 sterling with another 5% off with the code BOW5 and free shipping to Ireland plus they accept paypal.

Just another option to consider I have no idea which is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Just got the Polar M400 with the H7 HRM off Amazon in one of their lightning deals. €106 including post and package. Absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Anybody know what training zone should you be in when doing a tempo run?
    I read somewhere that it should be zone 4, that just seems a notch high.
    Any ideas??
    Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Just got the Polar M400 with the H7 HRM off Amazon in one of their lightning deals. €106 including post and package. Absolutely delighted.

Does this have GPS on it's own without having to be connected to WIFI like the fitbit surge?

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Does this have GPS on it's own without having to be connected to WIFI like the fitbit surge?

Yea it's own in built GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Kayano wearers - what have you moved on to? Due some new shoes soon, sick of paying big money. Will be wearing them for spring marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Kayano wearers - what have you moved on to? Due some new shoes soon, sick of paying big money. Will be wearing them for spring marathon training.

Mizono wave inspire,but due to changes moved and on to hoka clifton 3s...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Wait til the 4 hour battery pisses you off :)

Honestly, for a running watch it's ridiculous.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Wait til the 4 hour battery pisses you off :)

Honestly, for a running watch it's ridiculous.

Any of the reviews I read said 8 hours of GPS with Heartrate monitoring and it did these in the reviews.

P.S. sub 4 hour for 1st marathon.......... easy!! :D (how naive am I??!!)

• Advertisement

UM1 wrote: »
    Mizono wave inspire,but due to changes moved and on to hoka clifton 3s...
    I had those Mizunos years ago - got injured running Barcelona in them! Damn nice shoe to run in until then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Beyond the obvious start super slow and take plenty of time, does anyone have any tips for warming up for a race (or a session) in the cold weather? Out for an easy run last night and was so cold, I felt like I was only using half my lungs, with the other half closed for business to the cold cold air!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

I moved to GT-2000s, about 80-90 in Kildare village and had no after effects. Can't ever imagine paying Kayano type money again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

spaceylou wrote: »
    Beyond the obvious start super slow and take plenty of time, does anyone have any tips for warming up for a race (or a session) in the cold weather? Out for an easy run last night and was so cold, I felt like I was only using half my lungs, with the other half closed for business to the cold cold air!

If it's just your lungs, wear a scarf or some sort of material over your mouth and nose, it really helps with warming up the air you are inhaling as cold air can irritate our lungs.

For the muscles, it really is just a case of starting out slow and progressing the warmup towards faster running when doing a race or session. I'll usually start my warmup a half hour or so before the race or workout with a light jog in lots of layers, then drop layers as I start to feel warmer and the intensity of the warmup gets higher with drills and strides until I'm down to what I feel will be most comfortable for the race/session

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

El Caballo wrote: »
    If it's just your lungs, wear a scarf or some sort of material over your mouth and nose, it really helps with warming up the air you are inhaling as cold air can irritate our lungs.

For the muscles, it really is just a case of starting out slow and progressing the warmup towards faster running when doing a race or session. I'll usually start my warmup a half hour or so before the race or workout with a light jog in lots of layers, then drop layers as I start to feel warmer and the intensity of the warmup gets higher with drills and strides until I'm down to what I feel will be most comfortable for the race/session

Thanks for the tip about a scarf - my lungs were the main issue so will give it a try, gimme warm weather any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Thanks for the tip about a scarf - my lungs were the main issue so will give it a try, gimme warm weather any day!

Snoods are the ultimate winter running accessory

Even Ozil agrees :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5dzYWzZd73JKV-4o1rkVRq3n7ZEzBdiqExrMIXKcuv41td8wdhA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I bought a snood the other day :)

Can I ask about general training.

I would like to do a half marathon next year. Should be no problem once I train efficiently.

At the moment I can do 10k in 59mins.

But ... how do I improve. I know about increasing my distances by 10% each week. I'm thinking seeing as I have so much time I might even start by increasing by 5% each week.

But what kinds of training should I be doing? I'm reading a book on preparing for marathons and half marathons and what I can gather should be a mix of

long runs
    short runs
    hill runs
    speed work

If I dedicated a day to each of these would that be a good idea? At the moment I'm around the 10k mark so I'm thinking:

long run of 10k
    short run of 7k
    hill run of 5k
    speed work - I'm not too sure here ... 2 min fast pace 2 min recover for 20mins?

Does that sound decent to start with anyway?

Up until now I've just been doing about 2 x 5k, 1x3k and then 1 x10k

Thanks for reading

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Dynamic stretching indoors, high kicks, lunge twists etc before you leave the warm house. A great warmup for your training sessions anyway, cuts out the need for a super slow start in baltic temps if adequately done.

Some good examples here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I had those Mizunos years ago - got injured running Barcelona in them! Damn nice shoe to run in until then though.

When I switched I tried those and Brooks Adrenaline, find the Adrenaline better and they're still my shoe of choice years later.

The Asics mentioned above I refused to consider because of my burning grudge against Asics and their holey toe box problem, and their refusal to acknowledge it's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I would like to do a half marathon next year. Should be no problem once I train efficiently.

But ... how do I improve. I know about increasing my distances by 10% each week. I'm thinking seeing as I have so much time I might even start by increasing by 5% each

Join a club if you can, and they will look after all the sessions for you. There's no standard you have to be, and you don't have to attend all sessions , but if you can get to a few sessions a month they'll really help.

If you can't join a club, there are a few books with training plans, but group sessions are best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Any ideas??
    Cheers...

Not Sure what "Zone 4" is. I try to run them at 89-91% Max Heart Rate if thats any help. Its pretty close to 10K race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Any ideas??
    Cheers...

Can alternate between 3 and 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

On 27th Nov Aldi had fleece lined headbands, which double as a neck warmer. Great vaule at 3.49. My local branch still had some last night.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    When I switched I tried those and Brooks Adrenaline, find the Adrenaline better and they're still my shoe of choice years later.

The Asics mentioned above I refused to consider because of my burning grudge against Asics and their holey toe box problem, and their refusal to acknowledge it's a problem.

Funnily enough in 8 years and countless pairs of Asics I've never had a hole in the toe box! :pac:

2 year old Adrenalines for £55 on Start Fitness, bung in a couple of pairs of socks to bring me to £60 for free UK delivery - sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

But ... how do I improve. I know about increasing my distances by 10% each week. I'm thinking seeing as I have so much time I might even start by increasing by 5% each week.

But what kinds of training should I be doing? I'm reading a book on preparing for marathons and half marathons and what I can gather should be a mix of

long runs
    short runs
    hill runs
    speed work

If I dedicated a day to each of these would that be a good idea? At the moment I'm around the 10k mark so I'm thinking:

long run of 10k
    short run of 7k
    hill run of 5k
    speed work - I'm not too sure here ... 2 min fast pace 2 min recover for 20mins?

Does that sound decent to start with anyway?

Up until now I've just been doing about 2 x 5k, 1x3k and then 1 x10k

Thanks for reading

Click the website: https://my.asics.com/uk/en-gb & click "get started now"
    Enter your 59 minute 10k time & the rest of the details and it will give you a plan and a predicted time.. easy as pie :)

2 year old Adrenalines for £55 on Start Fitness, bung in a couple of pairs of socks to bring me to £60 for free UK delivery - sorted :)

Cool. Might be worth on occasion checking TK Maxx if there's one near you, at the end of the summer I picked up last years model for cheap enough.
    Funnily enough in 8 years and countless pairs of Asics I've never had a hole in the toe box! :pac:

Do you have a big toe? :D I used to think it was due to the way I ran but google tells me I'm far from alone. I've years old runners used for messing about in that are completely hole free, whereas Asics lasted no time before they fell apart.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Do you have a big toe? :D I used to think it was due to the way I ran but google tells me I'm far from alone. I've years old runners used for messing about in that are completely hole free, whereas Asics lasted no time before they fell apart.

I have Morton's toe on both feet (second toe longer than big toe) - don't know if that's a factor! :pac:

The other half has been running in the 2000 series forever and no toe box holes there either.

I know the issue exists - it's just in the small immediate sample size of two it's not an issue we've ever experienced.

Every day is an education, I too have Mortons toe, just never realised it had a name!

I like this bit,
    considering it an atavism recalling prehuman grasping toes
    as I use my feet all the time for grasping and picking things up, others wonder how I can manage it so easily. My son is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jameshayes wrote: »
    Click the website: https://my.asics.com/uk/en-gb & click "get started now"
    Are those plans generally well regarded? Threw in my details based on best 10km, and the Manchester Marathon date, and I'm liking the cut of the myasics plans jib...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Are those plans generally well regarded? Threw in my details based on best 10km, and the Manchester Marathon date, and I'm liking the cut of the myasics plans jib...

I used it for dublin marathon last month, my predicted time was 4 minutes off but I put that down to poor race management rather than an issue with the plan..

But don't put in an out of date 10k time, put in a time that you could run tomorrow if someone sprung a race on you

Advertisement