Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

€280 for a Garmin 235 on Amazon atm. Is this a good price and would anyone recommend this watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

€280 for a Garmin 235 on Amazon atm. Is this a good price and would anyone recommend this watch?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Anyone?

Pricespy says no by 15%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Just want to feed back on some advice I sought:

jameshayes wrote: »
    Click the website: https://my.asics.com/uk/en-gb & click "get started now"
    Enter your 59 minute 10k time & the rest of the details and it will give you a plan and a predicted time.. easy as pie :)

This plan generator is fantastic - thank you so much for sharing!
    I wouldn't necessarily say it's 'normal', but at the same time it's nothing to worry too much about if it's going away after a few days with some stretching. It's probably just a bit of a weakness, so I'd definitely start working on strengthening it a bit. The Myrtle routine is the standard exercise for hips. I'd imagine if you did that once or twice a week for a few weeks you'd notice a big difference.

You were spot-on. I've been doing the routine 3 days a week since you suggested and the niggling has gone completely! I've a 12k on Saturday so that will be the big test, but thank you very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I groan,grunt a lot in some races,don't hear anyone else doing so. I'm hurting but surely everyone else is too? Why am I the loud one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I groan,grunt a lot in some races,don't hear anyone else doing so. I'm hurting but surely everyone else is too? Why am I the loud one?

You're asking us why you make so much noise?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I appear to have left my mojo/drive/impetus somewhere around Merrion Square. All my running since then has been very stop/start since DCM. I had planned on taking it easy in November and then start back proper training in December. I seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut and really tired too. I've tried a couple of sessions, but while they went ok, they seemed to take a lot out of me. I'm now just thinking that maybe I should just do some base training to see the year out, without too much intensity, just to keep things ticking over. I dunno, I think maybe DCM took more out me of than I thought - mentally as much as physically. What I mean by that is I'm finding it difficult to push myself to train, like I've lost focus. Am I making sense? Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I appear to have left my mojo/drive/impetus somewhere around Merrion Square. All my running since then has been very stop/start since DCM. I had planned on taking it easy in November and then start back proper training in December. I seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut and really tired too. I've tried a couple of sessions, but while they went ok, they seemed to take a lot out of me. I'm now just thinking that maybe I should just do some base training to see the year out, without too much intensity, just to keep things ticking over. I dunno, I think maybe DCM took more out me of than I thought - mentally as much as physically. What I mean by that is I'm finding it difficult to push myself to train, like I've lost focus. Am I making sense? Any advice?

Pick a goal race to target & focus the mind, think your based in Cork, target Ballycotton '10' in March come New Year to train for. Relax and keep ticking over this month and one to many mince pies will give you the mojo back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

tang1 wrote: »
    Pick a goal race to target & focus the mind, think your based in Cork, target Ballycotton '10' in March come New Year to train for. Relax and keep ticking over this month and one to many mince pies will give you the mojo back!!!

If there is one thing I'd be guilty of it would be stressing over not getting out, which probably isn't helping - I say that as I sit here knackered after a weekend of Xmas partying and nights shifts debating on whether or not to go out and go for a run (I'm not going out - 5 days off now!!). I'm registered for Dungarvan, but at this stage it'll just be a stepping stone to Ballycotton. After that the only thing which interests me is the the Great Railway 25k in April. So that's a start I suppose. As for a plan - well the 2015 graduate plan served me well last year, so maybe I'll do one of the 2016 pals, including the Base Phase. I think sometimes I'm in too much a hurry to get going after a big race, which leads to me not recovering properly and just feeling wiped out. Relax it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

If there is one thing I'd be guilty of it would be stressing over not getting out, which probably isn't helping - I say that as I sit here knackered after a weekend of Xmas partying and nights shifts debating on whether or not to go out and go for a run (I'm not going out - 5 days off now!!). I'm registered for Dungarvan, but at this stage it'll just be a stepping stone to Ballycotton. After that the only thing which interests me is the the Great Railway 25k in April. So that's a start I suppose. As for a plan - well the 2015 graduate plan served me well last year, so maybe I'll do one of the 2016 pals, including the Base Phase. I think sometimes I'm in too much a hurry to get going after a big race, which leads to me not recovering properly and just feeling wiped out. Relax it is then.

I was same after Rotterdam in April, was on a high for a month or so after then a big lull & lack of motivation. Still got out but it was more going through the motions than anything else, lost mojo completely in September but came back with a vengeance in October and I'm chomping at the bit lately. It will come back, and you'll know when it does!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

I strained/tweaked a chest muscle stretching yesterday. Was in bits last night trying to get to sleep. its improved today but its still sore and uncomfortable at the moment. Would I be able to run a few easy miles or am I only likely to make myself worse by running?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I'm due to run into work tomorrow (I'd usually do about 8k), but I realised there's a 5k race tomorrow night that I wouldn't mind doing. I could run direct to work and do about 3/4k, or I suppose I could walk/get the bus in and cycle home (my bike is in there already from this morning).

It'd be much easier to just run directly in, but would doing this as well as the race later on in the day be a bad idea? I've never ran twice in the same day, though thinking about it now, I have ran in the morning and played football at night. I think I'd be ok if I just take the pace easy in the morning as well as in the days following?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm due to run into work tomorrow (I'd usually do about 8k), but I realised there's a 5k race tomorrow night that I wouldn't mind doing. I could run direct to work and do about 3/4k, or I suppose I could walk/get the bus in and cycle home (my bike is in there already from this morning).

It'd be much easier to just run directly in, but would doing this as well as the race later on in the day be a bad idea? I've never ran twice in the same day, though thinking about it now, I have ran in the morning and played football at night. I think I'd be ok if I just take the pace easy in the morning as well as in the days following?

Run very slowly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

RayCun wrote: »
    Run very slowly

In the race, or on the way to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

*Daft question alert*
    Training for a marathon/race in a hot climate.
    How should you prepare?
    I’m assuming the only real way to prepare is to layer up? Jumpers galore! So you’re body will get used to running whilst youre really warm. But is this the right methodology? Isn’t there a chance you'd cause you're body more stress by doing that? Should it be, run as normal and get fit, and be aware on race day the run mightn’t be as fast as usual.

Any ideas?

*apologies if this question was asked already, couldn't find it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How hot are we talking about here? I'd be thinking more an extra layer in the form of a T-shirt or base layer rather than jumpers etc.

adrian522 wrote: »
    How hot are we talking about here? I'd be thinking more an extra layer in the form of a T-shirt or base layer rather than jumpers etc.

Early 20's. I suppose not that hot in the grand scheme of things.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, I personally wouldn't do anything specific to train for those temps, I'd just go about my normal training. But everyone is different and it depends on how you fared running in those conditions previously,

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

*Daft question alert*
    Training for a marathon/race in a hot climate.
    How should you prepare?
    I’m assuming the only real way to prepare is to layer up? Jumpers galore! So you’re body will get used to running whilst youre really warm. But is this the right methodology? Isn’t there a chance you'd cause you're body more stress by doing that? Should it be, run as normal and get fit, and be aware on race day the run mightn’t be as fast as usual.

Any ideas?

*apologies if this question was asked already, couldn't find it.
    http://www.badwater.com/blog/heat-training-tips-ulrich/?utm_content=buffera0a0e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Low 20s don't really need specific adaptation IMHO. Having said that, being heat adapted can help even in lower temperatures.

However, hot weather adaptation only lasts about 10 days, so it's totally pointless to train layered up for months on end, it will only impact your training negatively.

Instead, train as normal until about 3 weeks before the race (usually that's taper time anyway) and THEN start running in layers, about 3 times a week, but take it slowly.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Heat_Acclimation_Training is a great resource for that, and have a look at the warnings as well. I used a very similar strategy to the one described last year when training for Greece where the temperatures reached the low 30s and I felt very well adapted.

• Advertisement

Low 20s don't really need specific adaptation IMHO. Having said that, being heat adapted can help even in lower temperatures.

However, hot weather adaptation only lasts about 10 days, so it's totally pointless to train layered up for months on end, it will only impact your training negatively.

Instead, train as normal until about 3 weeks before the race (usually that's taper time anyway) and THEN start running in layers, about 3 times a week, but take it slowly.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Heat_Acclimation_Training is a great resource for that, and have a look at the warnings as well. I used a very similar strategy to the one described last year when training for Greece where the temperatures reached the low 30s and I felt very well adapted.

That's brilliant, thanks TFBubendorfer.
    Pity i didn't see that message an hour ago though ... just back for a 6 mile run with hat, base layer and jacket prepping for race in March!!
    Anyway, that's brilliant .. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

I'm going to slightly disagree with TFB here. There is more to training than just the physical aspect. There are also the psychological adaptions that can be gained. Put simply, its good for the head to be used to running hot, rather than relying on getting it right with a few weeks to go and "pushing" an adaption when you should more ideally be relaxing and tapering down.

I train erring on being too warm all the way through winter, and I personally don't think it negatively affects my training intensity. (But I do prefer heat to cold)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I was looking at it from the physiological side only, that's true. And the fact that leaving heat adaptation to the last few weeks has worked very well for me.

The psychological factor is different and is important as well but if the expected temperatures are in the low 20s then I definitely would not run layered up all winter. If I were training for Badwater it might be different.

Maybe it simply comes down to the fact that Enduro likes being warm and I prefer being cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Random question - why might I be doing so poorly at xc this year? I'm improving on the roads, but going backwards at xc. I have a horrible feeling it's some kind of mental problem and I just need to htfu, but it's also possible that I'm improving at the shorter distances on the roads as I'm found less mileage and am less tired, but need more endurance for xc. I also have suspicions that I need to warm up better for xc and am wondering if the groin pull I had in autumn has left me with less power or stability in xc?any tips? Suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Random question - why might I be doing so poorly at xc this year? I'm improving on the roads, but going backwards at xc. I have a horrible feeling it's some kind of mental problem and I just need to htfu, but it's also possible that I'm improving at the shorter distances on the roads as I'm found less mileage and am less tired, but need more endurance for xc. I also have suspicions that I need to warm up better for xc and am wondering if the groin pull I had in autumn has left me with less power or stability in xc?any tips? Suggestions?

Sounds more like this to me than anything else. Strength is crucial to good XC running and generally less mileage means less strength, good speed can carry you on the road over 5k but you need to be strong when it comes to XC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi

I'm using myasics online free plan to train for an upcoming race.

Wondering how important it is to stick to the pace of the preconditioning runs? They are a lot slower than I can run. Is the preconditioning stage aimed at beginners or am I supposed to go slower than I can before going into the 'Getting Faster' stage (which is the pace I currently run at)

Thanks and hopefully that's clear
    Bananaleaf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi

Wondering how important it is to stick to the pace of the preconditioning runs? They are a lot slower than I can run. Is the preconditioning stage aimed at beginners or am I supposed to go slower than I can before going into the 'Getting Faster' stage (which is the pace I currently run at)

Bananaleaf

Well, the paces vary as you go through the plan I guess and certainly from run to run. Yes, a lot of runners feel impatient with the first couple of weeks of a plan 'cos they think the runs are too slow. There is no rush though. I'd be more worried if I looked at week 8 or 10 and saw a 'session' down that I knew I could already do in week 1. Does that make sense? How long is the plan, normally the longer the plan (18 weeks), the slower a the start. Whereas the relatively famous 8-week plan of the McMillan Ultimate 10k which a number of us have used on here, is tough from the first major session (6x1mile at 10k pace). Chuck up the plan, race and your target and we'd have a better chance of helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm following a myasics plan for Manchester (my first marathon). The "build up" phase was generally slower than my usual place for the distances, but now in "getting faster" they're pretty much spot on for the "fast" runs when I read the aims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm following a myasics plan for Manchester (my first marathon). The "build up" phase was generally slower than my usual place for the distances, but now in "getting faster" they're pretty much spot on for the "fast" runs when I read the aims.
    Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi

Bananaleaf

I'd be careful of using that plan, had never heard of it before until lately as it seems to be coming up a lot on here in the last few weeks so just had a look there to see what kind of plan it would recommend me based on my PB's and what it gave me was underwhelming in one sense and absolutely insanely tough in another.

Midweek mileage was very low for what I would expect and some of the runs were exceptionally difficult. For instance, put in my half PB which is 6:34 per mile pace and it wanted me to do my last 2 long runs of 11.5 miles at 6.34 pace, basically racing just short of a half marathon for my last 2 long runs at half marathon pace before my target race.

Then I typed in my marathon time to see if that was any different, same thing with long runs of 18.5 and 22 miles at marathon pace as the two long runs before the taper with loads of tempo runs that were 8+ miles long. My 2 cents but I would avoid those plans like the plague as the workouts are insane and don't make any sense in my opinion and will more than likely do more harm than good in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Im in the middle of a marathon training plan (week 9).

Half Marathon due for Sunday. Anybody fancy joining me for a 1.40-1.45 half in Dublin?

Theres nothing timed on (from what I can see), so will have to do it myself!

Advertisement