Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Chest infection

How do you know when you're okay to run again?

Go for a light jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Itziger wrote: »
    Go for a light jog.

Oky will try that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

My current schedule is something like:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    AM Off Off ~6k Off Off ~8k ~16k
    PM Off ~10k Off ~8k Off

I'm thinking of trying to run everyday in January (a minimum of 3k a day). If I run directly into work it's about 3/4k, so I was thinking of running into work and then back home (to avoid having to get public transport), which would mean doing 2*3/4k runs a day during the week and the usual on the weekend (maybe both weekend runs shortened a bit). Like so:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    AM 3k 3k 3k 3k 3k 8k 13k
    PM 3k 8k 8k 8k 3k

My question is, would this be counterproductive? I think it'd be good training to get used to having to squeeze runs in whenever I can, but is there too much injury risk there, or too many small runs that add nothing?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

too many small runs that add nothing?
    This is most likely. If you have specific reasoning and targets behind those runs, then fine, but you seem to have no real basis for your plan beyond convenience.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

28064212 wrote: »
    This is most likely. If you have specific reasoning and targets behind those runs, then fine, but you seem to have no real basis for your plan beyond convenience.

True. It's probably not even that convenient, it's just something I'd like to give a go (running everyday that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all

Just wondering if 'rest' days should be days of total rest or do people run a bit during those days?

Is it a case of 'even though you or your muscles don't feel tired, they are and do need the rest' or should I be in dire need of my rest day by the time it comes around?

Is the purpose of a rest day for physical recovery only or is it to give runners a mental break from running too (for balance I suppose I mean here)?

I'm currently following a training plan for a 5mile race. Today is a rest day, but I feel like I would be able to run all the same. Or, in other words, I don't feel like I need the rest.

Is my plan not challenging enough? I began the plan to train for a certain time in the 5mile race I have coming up. I would be able to run longer distances if I wished, but just not as fast. At the moment the aim of this 6 week plan is to increase my speed and after that I hope to work on upping my distance.

On the current plan I'm not feeling like I need the rest days for recovery, they are more just convenient if I need to catch up on house chores or have some overtime I need to put in at work.

Should I be dying for the rest days? Thing is - when running I am giving it my all - I am dying for the run to be over - I push myself right to the end, so I'm not taking it handy during the running itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Rest days don't have to be total rest, they could be a short recovery run or easy cross training. But your body doesn't get stronger when you are running, it gets stronger in the recovery afterwards. If you skimp on recovery you miss your chance to adapt.

And your runs should not be all out, praying for the end, only races. Easy runs should be easy, intervals should be at the prescribed pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

A few of the midweek long runs in the marathon training plan will be tough in terms of time available to me. If I have to do an 8 or 10 mile midweek run would I be able to split it in two (say before work & lunch) and reap the same benefits or do I need to do it all in one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

HigginsJ wrote: »
    A few of the midweek long runs in the marathon training plan will be tough in terms of time available to me. If I have to do an 8 or 10 mile midweek run would I be able to split it in two (say before work & lunch) and reap the same benefits or do I need to do it all in one go?

Splitting the run in 2 will not reap the same benefits, no. The idea of the long-ish midweek runs is to get you on your feet for some extended time.

8-10 miles isn't a particularly long run anyway. Skip an hour of telly one evening and you've got the time right there already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

This probably doesn't warrant a thread of its own, I'm looking to book flights for Edinburgh marathon in May. I haven't raced overseas before and intend to fly the morning of the day before (though not too early). Interested to hear when others travel for races? Reluctant to spend the two nights prior away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Splitting the run in 2 will not reap the same benefits, no. The idea of the long-ish midweek runs is to get you on your feet for some extended time.

8-10 miles isn't a particularly long run anyway. Skip an hour of telly one evening and you've got the time right there already
    I did research this a few weeks back, and did come across some articles supporting splitting the long run as an option. The suggested split was 60-40, i.e. 60% in the morning, 40% in the evening. Didn't bookmark them unfortunately. I was looking as it suits my work/ life/ training balance to do my long run midweek, so doing it that way as part of a commute would be a great option!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I did research this a few weeks back, and did come across some articles supporting splitting the long run as an option. The suggested split was 60-40, i.e. 60% in the morning, 40% in the evening. Didn't bookmark them unfortunately. I was looking as it suits my work/ life/ training balance to do my long run midweek, so doing it that way as part of a commute would be a great option!

I think most will eventually find an article supporting his/her argument if one looks hard enough :pac:.

There's many way to train. If you are marathon training (or indeed 10km/HM) the long run is one of the most important runs, if not the most important. The benefits can be huge, especially after 16 miles or 2 hours of running. In saying that, the risks of injury magnify the longer you run, particularly over 3 hours (to pluck a nice round figure). The idea is to build up the long run gradually so that the body adapts to demands placed on it. There's no shortcut.

For example, I did 20 miles easy yesterday. Nothing special, just the bread and butter type of marathon training run. In no way would splitting the run 12/8 benefit me come race day. I have built up the long easy run over a number of cycles. Sure, it's mundane but it's the type of run that will pay dividends when you hit mile 20 of the marathon with another 6.2 to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

This probably doesn't warrant a thread of its own, I'm looking to book flights for Edinburgh marathon in May. I haven't raced overseas before and intend to fly the morning of the day before (though not too early). Interested to hear when others travel for races? Reluctant to spend the two nights prior away from home.

I've traveled for a few and generally go out the Friday evening (if race is on Sunday) Saturday morning would be grand as it's such a short flight.
    Get off flight - get to expo - back to hotel and relax!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Personally I'd go on the Friday, get the expo out of the way and stay off my feet as much as possible on Saturday.

Airport->Flight-> Airport->Expo->Hotel Plus picking up supplies etc is a lot of time on your feet the day before a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think most will eventually find an article supporting his/her argument if one looks hard enough :pac:.
    I might have over egged with the research bit (by research I meant throw "can I split a long run" into google! :D )

Haven't done it yet anyway, as I picked up and injury on my last long run which was only 10 miles.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I might have over egged with the research bit (by research I meant throw "can I split a long run" into google! :D )

Haven't done it yet anyway, as I picked up and injury on my last long run which was only 10 miles.... :(

I've tried, it just doesn't work. Ive done 25km ovee 2 runs, far to easy compared to a 25k straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

There's many way to train. If you are marathon training (or indeed 10km/HM) the long run is one of the most important runs, if not the most important. The benefits can be huge, especially after 16 miles or 2 hours of running. In saying that, the risks of injury magnify the longer you run, particularly over 3 hours (to pluck a nice round figure). The idea is to build up the long run gradually so that the body adapts to demands placed on it. There's no shortcut.

For example, I did 20 miles easy yesterday. Nothing special, just the bread and butter type of marathon training run. In no way would splitting the run 12/8 benefit me come race day. I have built up the long easy run over a number of cycles. Sure, it's mundane but it's the type of run that will pay dividends when you hit mile 20 of the marathon with another 6.2 to go!

I saw one on Runners World that Macy0161 might be referencing. I would have no intention of cutting short/splitting the weekend long run as you are 100% correct that it is vital. It was more the longish midweek runs that I was looking to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Stuck with the buggy this weekend for my long run. I'm following Higdon Novice 1 for London so I'm in week 3 - the long run is only 5 miles so very short, and I'd be considering doing a 7-8 mile one instead.

Do I...

- Just do the 5 miles with the buggy, possibly ticking off another Parkrun towards side goal of 50 by the end of 2017.

Or

- Stick my husband with baby duty on Thursday night and do a 70-80 minute run then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

- Just do the 5 miles with the buggy, possibly ticking off another Parkrun towards side goal of 50 by the end of 2017.

Or

- Stick my husband with baby duty on Thursday night and do a 70-80 minute run then.

A bit of both? Do the longer run on Thursday, and the parkrun with the buggy on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I've traveled for a few and generally go out the Friday evening (if race is on Sunday) Saturday morning would be grand as it's such a short flight.
    Get off flight - get to expo - back to hotel and relax!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Personally I'd go on the Friday, get the expo out of the way and stay off my feet as much as possible on Saturday.

Airport->Flight-> Airport->Expo->Hotel Plus picking up supplies etc is a lot of time on your feet the day before a marathon.

I understand the logic behind going over the day before, , but its not always possible. Flying over the morning before isn't too bad in fairness. (I've toured to Mancheser and Dublin the afternoon before a marathon)

As the posters above say, its a short flight and as long as you dont do the dog on it walking all over town and keep it pretty relaxed on Saturday you will be fine, eat well, get to bed early etc......you wont sleep properly anyway but lie down and try to relax and sleep ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

gucci wrote: »
    I understand the logic behind going over the day before, , but its not always possible. Flying over the morning before isn't too bad in fairness. (I've toured to Mancheser and Dublin the afternoon before a marathon)

As the posters above say, its a short flight and as long as you dont do the dog on it walking all over town and keep it pretty relaxed on Saturday you will be fine, eat well, get to bed early etc......you wont sleep properly anyway but lie down and try to relax and sleep ;)

Also, Charts, for Edinburgh you don't have to go to the expo if you don't want, they will post the number out for Europe registrants (as long as you sign up in time). There's a mention on the FAQ on their page ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Sorry to hear that. It depends on your background but I tell people starting out/coming back from injury to forget about distance and focus on time on feet. Don't concern yourself with pace. Build up slowly and forget about tracking the splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I was looking as it suits my work/ life/ training balance to do my long run midweek, so doing it that way as part of a commute would be a great option!

This might not be to everyone's taste but I used to do some very long runs midweek before work, and it was perfectly doable as long as you don't mind getting up rather early.

If you want to do this as part of your commute you can always take a longer route into work to make up the miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Hoping to do my first half marathon in June. Going to follow Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Novice 1 program. It is a twelve week plan which means I should start it in March. Is there any benefit in me starting the plan in the next couple of weeks or should I just stick with my current running plan i.e. 2 midweek runs of 5/6 kms and a lsr at weekends of 10km and begin the half marathon plan in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

gypsylee wrote: »
    Hoping to do my first half marathon in June. Going to follow Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Novice 1 program. It is a twelve week plan which means I should start it in March. Is there any benefit in me starting the plan in the next couple of weeks or should I just stick with my current running plan i.e. 2 midweek runs of 5/6 kms and a lsr at weekends of 10km and begin the half marathon plan in March?

Sounds like you're already doing more than that plan will demand of you in the first few weeks, so it should be grand to carry on as you are. It might be worth adding in a 4th day though with a short recovery run or a bit of cross training to settle into the format of the plan ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I would say, if you're comfortable with the 10k weekend run, just add a little bit to it every week or even every second week. Soon you'll be doing 12k instead of ten (the 13, 14, 15). Only do this at a nice easy pace now. A lot of novices come into races like a Half undercooked in terms of distance done. "Oh, do 16k in training and the atmosphere on the day will get you there". Hmmmm, I think I'd prefer to have done a couple of 20k runs if you don't mind.

So, why not slowly up the distance and you'll be well ready for the plan. If you feel the proposed long runs in the Higdon are shortish by the time you get to it, you could always add on a couple of kms. I know that wasn't really your question, but I think it's super important to get time on your feet in preparation for any race.

Why not build from where you are now, so you are starting in March at a higher level?
    Add a fourth run, change one run to a session, lengthen the long run... not all at once, but don't wait until March to improve.

Thanks for all the advice. I will increase my 10km lsr by a bit each week and also try to get a fourth run in. I intend to do some cycling on a Saturday as well to cover the cross training part.

To get a fourth run in, reduce the distance of the other runs a bit so you are not increasing by too much at once.
    For example, at the moment you are running 5 + 5 + 10 = 20k/week
    If you just added a 5k run, you'd be jumping from 20 to 25k, which might be too much
    But you could go 4 + 4 + 4 + 8 = 20k/week for a couple of weeks, and build on that

• Advertisement

Thanks RayCun. Will give that suggestion a go.

Advertisement