Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What's the best place to get a gait analysis done and get new runners? Is Amphibian King my best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

BDJW wrote: »
    What's the best place to get a gait analysis done and get new runners? Is Amphibian King my best bet?

If you're around Tallaght then yeah, they're good and handy

RayCun wrote: »
    If you're around Tallaght then yeah, they're good and handy

Cheers. I'm pretty much based slap bang in the centre between the shop in Ballymount and the shop in Bray!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Limestone123

Hi,
    Is this a really bad idea? It's a challenge to run/jog/walk 5 k a day for the month. I know I could run 4 days and walk 3 but I aldo know I'll want to run the 5 every day. I'm on day 4 so far and feel fine. Just wondering is it a really bad idea physically? I've an ok enough level of fitness I'd run 2 5Ks snd 1 longer run maybe 10k most weeks. Thanks for any thoughts or tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hi,
    Is this a really bad idea? It's a challenge to run/jog/walk 5 k a day for the month. I know I could run 4 days and walk 3 but I aldo know I'll want to run the 5 every day. I'm on day 4 so far and feel fine. Just wondering is it a really bad idea physically? I've an ok enough level of fitness I'd run 2 5Ks snd 1 longer run maybe 10k most weeks. Thanks for any thoughts or tips.

It's not a terrible idea, whatever gets you out is good I guess... but you need to listen to your body and keep things nice and easy. If you finish the challenge never wanting to run again then it wasn't worth bothering doing it. You want to finish feeling stronger and enjoying getting out, which means avoiding injury/niggles and keeping things easy most days. I ran every day in December in 2015 as part of a similarly arbitrary challenge and found it a good way to get into the habit of running more often.

However I did read this good blogpost about the futility and potential drawbacks of these kind of challenges, some good stuff to be take away from it: http://www.lazygirlrunning.com/2016/12/running-every-day-and-other-silly-challenges.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Singer wrote: »
    However I did read this good blogpost about the futility and potential drawbacks of these kind of challenges, some good stuff to be take away from it: http://www.lazygirlrunning.com/2016/12/running-every-day-and-other-silly-challenges.html

Speaking of challenges, I thought this was worth sharing - a bunch of alternative challenges for runners to build mental strength: https://www.saltyrunning.com/5-fun-challenges-improve-running-mind/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Speaking of challenges, I thought this was worth sharing - a bunch of alternative challenges for runners to build mental strength: https://www.saltyrunning.com/5-fun-challenges-improve-running-mind/

The one with the mismatched running tights and sports bra is forever happening to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good article, for an awful moment I thought they were going to recommend ice baths... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This might not be to everyone's taste but I used to do some very long runs midweek before work, and it was perfectly doable as long as you don't mind getting up rather early.
    Yeah, I've been doing that already (well pre-work is one of my most used windows), it was more looking ahead to the really long lsr's, that even with an early start and flexi time would be tough to fit in! Looking like an early start on a Saturday is going to be the only option for those.
    Sorry to hear that. It depends on your background but I tell people starting out/coming back from injury to forget about distance and focus on time on feet. Don't concern yourself with pace. Build up slowly and forget about tracking the splits.
    Well up to the injury, the only increase in mileage has been the long runs - first few weeks my mileage was actually down overall (shorter runs/ fairly short lsr). I'm not convinced this injury is running related, and I'm resisting temptation to run on it today or tomorrow as it is feeling better, but going pool running tomorrow instead! Anyway, I do have a few niggles so booked in for biomechanical/ run form assessment next week.

When I do go back, do I slot back in for the week I would've been in, or take up where I left off?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Limestone123

It's not a terrible idea, whatever gets you out is good I guess... but you need to listen to your body and keep things nice and easy. If you finish the challenge never wanting to run again then it wasn't worth bothering doing it. You want to finish feeling stronger and enjoying getting out, which means avoiding injury/niggles and keeping things easy most days. I ran every day in December in 2015 as part of a similarly arbitrary challenge and found it a good way to get into the habit of running more often.

Thanks I read the article. There is a fun run at the end of the month in lilliput in mullingar with everyone who has done the month. I love running but find it hard to get out as much as I want to so this may help me make the time. I think I'll end up running 5 k 5 days and walking 5 k two days. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Ladies, do any of you use a flipbelt? and if so, can you tell me what the sizing is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been doing that already (well pre-work is one of my most used windows), it was more looking ahead to the really long lsr's, that even with an early start and flexi time would be tough to fit in! Looking like an early start on a Saturday is going to be the only option for those.

Well up to the injury, the only increase in mileage has been the long runs - first few weeks my mileage was actually down overall (shorter runs/ fairly short lsr). I'm not convinced this injury is running related, and I'm resisting temptation to run on it today or tomorrow as it is feeling better, but going pool running tomorrow instead! Anyway, I do have a few niggles so booked in for biomechanical/ run form assessment next week.

When I do go back, do I slot back in for the week I would've been in, or take up where I left off?

I guess patience is the key word.

From a recovery/injury viewpoint try the elliptical trainer. It's a non-impact cross trainer. Perfect for runners if you have one in the gym (or access to a gym).

Regarding the long run: what are you training for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Ladies, do any of you use a flipbelt? and if so, can you tell me what the sizing is like?

Yes, they're great! I'm a size 10-12 and a medium flip belt fits well. I bought it in a shop so I could try the sizes. A small is tiny! They are designed to be well fitted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

chickey2 wrote: »
    Yes, they're great! I'm a size 10-12 and a medium flip belt fits well. I bought it in a shop so I could try the sizes. A small is tiny! They are designed to be well fitted though.

Where did you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Where did you buy?

I got it in Base to race in ballymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

chickey2 wrote: »
    I got it in Base to race in ballymount.

Cheers - had never heard of these until mentioned here. I will wait a month or two to see if I really do need it.

RunLogic in temple bar seem to sell the belts too but not the water bottles.Wheelworx in Fonthill Retail Park are listed stockist but don't seem to have them on website. €32 quid or so for a belt.

Thanks chickey, I need something to hold my GIANT PHONE on longer runs as it doesn't fit in the pockets of my leggings like my old one did and I definitely would be driven demented by an armband :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Cheers - had never heard of these until mentioned here. I will wait a month or two to see if I really do need it.

RunLogic in temple bar seem to sell the belts too but not the water bottles.Wheelworx in Fonthill Retail Park are listed stockist but don't seem to have them on website. €32 quid or so for a belt.

Mrs Beeps uses this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017XJ1BN0/ref=pe_385721_147808161_TE_dp_2?th=1
    £8.99

Thanks chickey, I need something to hold my GIANT PHONE on longer runs as it doesn't fit in the pockets of my leggings like my old one did and I definitely would be driven demented by an armband :)

I thought that too, but I actually find the armband is fine and nowhere near as uncomfortable as expected. I'd say a running belt would drive me mad though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

How would I approach a half marathon race I've already entered in and I have an 18 mile LSR on my marathon training program which falls on the same day?

• Advertisement

How would I approach a half marathon race I've already entered in and I have an 18 mile LSR on my marathon training program which falls on the same day?

do it instead of the LSR

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

RayCun wrote: »
    do it instead of the LSR

Would I do 2.5 mile warm up and 2.5 mile cool down to make up the 18 miles?

Would I do 2.5 mile warm up and 2.5 mile cool down to make up the 18 miles?

Do a warm-up and cool-down sure, but the half marathon is going to be a harder session than an 18 mile run, so I wouldn't worry about making up miles.

If anything, I'd be looking at taking miles out of the following week to allow for recovery.

BDJW wrote: »
    I thought that too, but I actually find the armband is fine and nowhere near as uncomfortable as expected. I'd say a running belt would drive me mad though :pac:

I don't mind a running belt at all, I thought I would, but I had to get used to it to carry gels/water and found it absolutely grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Thanks I read the article. There is a fun run at the end of the month in lilliput in mullingar with everyone who has done the month. I love running but find it hard to get out as much as I want to so this may help me make the time. I think I'll end up running 5 k 5 days and walking 5 k two days. Thanks for the advice.
    I did that challenge last year, I really does help to motivate you to get out more, I found myself getting out most of the days. There were some where I felt I was going out cos I had to rather than wanting to but you can do it. I would recommend having to walk days and taking your runs easy. The group run at the end of the month last year was great, such a fantastic atmosphere. And join the Facebook group also, the posts by people of all abilities are inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ps: the challenge does give you momentum to keep going. Knowing that I could do that much mileage in a week, I ran 3 or 4 times a week for most of last year (til nov/Dec where busy work schedule and sickness took over).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Does anyone know if there are any benefits to taking dioralyte pre long runs or races?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Lazare wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any benefits to taking dioralyte pre long runs or races?

You should wait until you have the runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Really random running question, I was watching the Great Edinburgh XC today and wondering - women with long hair / long ponytails - do you think they slow you down at all or can you not feel them? I have short hair so I don't know, but some of the junior US women had lovely, long, huge ponytails and I thought they looked v heavy! Obviously they don't slow them down much as nearly all
    The elite women have ponytails, and they're super fast, but I just wondered ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Really random running question, I was watching the Great Edinburgh XC today and wondering - women with long hair / long ponytails - do you think they slow you down at all or can you not feel them? I have short hair so I don't know, but some of the junior US women had lovely, long, huge ponytails and I thought they looked v heavy! Obviously they don't slow them down much as nearly all
    The elite women have ponytails, and they're super fast, but I just wondered ...

It's simple science. Additional weight will slow you down.

Advertisement