Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Anyone using flipbelt? Can I fit Nexus 6P in it? 6P is pretty much same size as iPhone 6/7 Plus. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Lazare wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any benefits to taking dioralyte pre long runs or races?

I've used it in lots of long races and it works for me. No harm taking it beforehand if you feel you might be a bit dehydrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Really random running question, I was watching the Great Edinburgh XC today and wondering - women with long hair / long ponytails - do you think they slow you down at all or can you not feel them? I have short hair so I don't know, but some of the junior US women had lovely, long, huge ponytails and I thought they looked v heavy! Obviously they don't slow them down much as nearly all
    The elite women have ponytails, and they're super fast, but I just wondered ...

Apparently it's the style of the hair rather than weight. Tldr: hair is light and ponytails cause little if any wind resistance.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2012/08/06/sanya_richards_ross_2012_olympics_does_hair_slow_you_down_assessing_the_impact_of_an_enormous_mane_.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

kave2 wrote:
    Anyone using flipbelt? Can I fit Nexus 6P in it? 6P is pretty much same size as iPhone 6/7 Plus. Thanks.

I am sure someone else will answer your query, but I just wanted to mention that I can fit a Huawei P8 max (7 inch screen, probably the largest phone out there) into a cheap Aldi/Lidl running belt. Its a squeeze but it fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

kave2 wrote: »

I've a 5x, so obviously a bit smaller, but it fits in no problem. I just checked and it can easily stretch an extra inch or two, so I'm sure the 6p would fit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Does running longer distances kill pace over shorter distances? what's others experience here? If I decided to train for a marathon would my 5k times likely drop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Does running longer distances kill pace over shorter distances? what's others experience here? If I decided to train for a marathon would my 5k times likely drop ?

I've set all my 5k pbs during marathon training. High milage will benefit you at all distances fromt 5k up. 5k is still an endurance event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Djoucer wrote: »
    Apparently it's the style of the hair rather than weight. Tldr: hair is light and ponytails cause little if any wind resistance.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/five_ring_circus/2012/08/06/sanya_richards_ross_2012_olympics_does_hair_slow_you_down_assessing_the_impact_of_an_enormous_mane_.html

Ha! that's really interesting! Thank you!!

I think ponytails make people LOOK sportier too; maybe I will grow one, to look like more of a threat :).

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

positron wrote: »
    I am sure someone else will answer your query, but I just wanted to mention that I can fit a Huawei P8 max (7 inch screen, probably the largest phone out there) into a cheap Aldi/Lidl running belt. Its a squeeze but it fits.
    I've a 5x, so obviously a bit smaller, but it fits in no problem. I just checked and it can easily stretch an extra inch or two, so I'm sure the 6p would fit.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Spirogyra wrote: »

It depends on where you're starting from.
    If you were a short distance focused runner, well trained for 5k, doing a lot of speed sessions etc, and then start training for a marathon, you will blunt your edge.
    If you are only running a couple of years, you probably have a lot of endurance to gain, and that will make you stronger over 5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Struggling to work out my Marathon Pace (for 6 weeks time). It my first and I want to find the right sort of pace. I've set myself a target of 3h40, on the back of some stuff I've done this year. These include a 1h36 Half, sub 44 10k and 20 min 5k time.

My marathon plan is going well. Recently ltr examples include:
    21km yesterday in 1.47 (5.04 pace)- was a faster run, but felt decent throughout
    29km week before in 2h32 (5.14 pace) - felt decent enough afterward.
    27km week before in 2h34 (5.42 pace) - didnt feel good at the end (maybe turkey related)

Im up to 70km this week, with a 32km long run. Im doing the Higdon Intemediate 1 plan. Havent really missed a session in the last 11 weeks, so putting in all the midweek stuff too.

So what do you think that I should aim at? I think I'm probably running a little fast for the last two long runs, but i've felt comfortable enough and no major niggles to speak of.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

As you rightly say, you might be going a bit fast on the long runs. Apart from that, it all seems good. Your half time is the best indicator, so off a 1.:36 half a marathon target of 3:40 is reasonable, maybe even a little conservative.
    I'd suggest slowing down the long runs to 5:45/k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Struggling to work out my Marathon Pace (for 6 weeks time). It my first and I want to find the right sort of pace. I've set myself a target of 3h40, on the back of some stuff I've done this year. These include a 1h36 Half, sub 44 10k and 20 min 5k time.

My PBs before running 3:32 in my first marathon were 1:36 for the half and 43 for a 10k, probably a little conservative alright. Agreed with slowing down the long runs a little per snailsong. Start off at most at 3:40 pace and speed up in the second half of the race though exact pacing plan should depend on the course. Which marathon is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Seville, its pancake flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

What do you guys wear running in the rain? Do you typically wear rain coats, I feel like I'd get too warm. Is it madness going out in just normal running gear?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not mad at all. Remember that skin is waterproof.

The more layers you wear the more clothes you have to get weighed down by rain. If it's warm enough then ditch the extra layers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Story lads. Just started running (new year resolution scum). Would have an OK level of fitness so trying to get up to 5 k. I definitely can't run that now, tried this evening and failed pretty spectacularly.

So is it best to follow a couch to 5 K plan 9 (or similar), or just go out and run and try and run a bit further every night?

Couch to 5k all the way

Story lads. Just started running (new year resolution scum). Would have an OK level of fitness so trying to get up to 5 k. I definitely can't run that now, tried this evening and failed pretty spectacularly.

So is it best to follow a couch to 5 K plan 9 (or similar), or just go out and run and try and run a bit further every night?

I set out about 6 months ago (maybe a tad less) and I found that C25K worked really well for 3-4 weeks, and after that I just started doing my own thing and doing longer and longer jogs.

I'd start randomly jogging, and see if i could reach a particular spot before stopping. Be it a sign post, a house, a junction, etc. and I found that because I was running to a certain place, it got a lot easier on me.

I found that jogging along, waiting for a timer to beep, just made it seem a lot longer. Having a destination helped me a lot.

Anyone care to weigh in with a suggestion or advice for me here?

I started off about 4-6 months ago. Did some C25K and at the moment I can do a 5k in about 30mins. It kills me every time. However, last week I managed to get a 6.4km jog in without stopping (think my time was 38:28).

I have signed up for a load of events in 2017 to aim for. Stuff to keep me interested. I found doing the 6.4km was tough going. But i did do it.

So, I signed up for a 10k in Duleek (I live in Drogheda) and it's on April 23rd. Doing it with a friend. Looking forward to it, and I reckon that by 23rd April i'll be able for 10k.

However, another friend also thought it'd be great to do the Virgin Media Night Run in Dublin. So I signed up.. thing is.. they're both on the same day. One is at, I think, 1pm, the other, at 9pm.

Should I start working on my excuses now to get out of the night run, or by the time april rolls around do ye reckon two 10k's a few hours apart should be okay?

(My own thinking is that i'll be dead by the time I finish the duleek one, but because i have a chance to get 2-3 hours sleep and stretch out a bit before the next 10k, I might be okay and feel fresh again?).

Anyone done similar starting off?

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

2 10km races in one day would be mental imo. If it were me, I'd pick the one I really wanted & pull out of the other one. If you insisted on doing both I would look to take the less important one (The VM Night run from the sounds of it) as a recovery run, taking a walk/jog strategy maybe.

Also slow down on your longer runs, this is advice everyone will give you. You shouldn't be dead after your training runs, save that for race day. Going slow on the majority of your training work will help build stamina for race day.

You'll be well able for a 10k by April 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Really no need to be doing 2 races in one day, you could jog them both and probably be fine, id run Duleek and forget about the night run.

Id also consider joining one of the local clubs, you have DDAC, Boyne, Duleek, Dunleer. All of which will bring you on massively. I'm in DDAC myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Anyone care to weigh in with a suggestion or advice for me here?

I started off about 4-6 months ago. Did some C25K and at the moment I can do a 5k in about 30mins. It kills me every time. However, last week I managed to get a 6.4km jog in without stopping (think my time was 38:28).

I have signed up for a load of events in 2017 to aim for. Stuff to keep me interested. I found doing the 6.4km was tough going. But i did do it.

So, I signed up for a 10k in Duleek (I live in Drogheda) and it's on April 23rd. Doing it with a friend. Looking forward to it, and I reckon that by 23rd April i'll be able for 10k.

However, another friend also thought it'd be great to do the Virgin Media Night Run in Dublin. So I signed up.. thing is.. they're both on the same day. One is at, I think, 1pm, the other, at 9pm.

Should I start working on my excuses now to get out of the night run, or by the time april rolls around do ye reckon two 10k's a few hours apart should be okay?

(My own thinking is that i'll be dead by the time I finish the duleek one, but because i have a chance to get 2-3 hours sleep and stretch out a bit before the next 10k, I might be okay and feel fresh again?).

Anyone done similar starting off?

Cheers :)

This is my area of expertise:D

I've done my fair share of doubles and even 3 and 4 races in a weekend at times when I started out. Could you run the 2 races? Probably but speaking from experience a couple of years down the road from that, if I could go back, I wouldn't do it again as starting off is not the time for your head to bite off more than your legs can chew, it's a time when the main focus should be on setting yourself for the longterm and keeping as many bad habits as possible from entering your training as possible and setting the tone as being consistent and gradually increasing the load. I say this as someone who still hasn't done this because of all the bad habits I've picked up when I started.

A lot of running is common sense and your instinct will tell you what's right and wrong, I think your instinct is already telling you the right choice otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Really random running question, I was watching the Great Edinburgh XC today and wondering - women with long hair / long ponytails - do you think they slow you down at all or can you not feel them? I have short hair so I don't know, but some of the junior US women had lovely, long, huge ponytails and I thought they looked v heavy! Obviously they don't slow them down much as nearly all
    The elite women have ponytails, and they're super fast, but I just wondered ...

how did Gerry Kiernan ever manage. jaysus he had some big hair, he looked like he was going tip over he was that top heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

RayCun wrote: »
    Couch to 5k all the way

What Ray said, with the addition of 'slow down'! How far did you get on your 5k attempt? Were you running flat out or jogging? (believe it or not you should be jogging, not racing). If you're already able to run say 1K without stopping you could jump in on week 3 or 4 of the couch to 5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

Question regarding XC.
    Are spikes a must when running XC? Obviously the ground surface will vary from course to course and the weather in the build up to the race will have a say, but is it a big disadvantage in not wearing them?
    Thinking of doing the BHAA 4 mile in the Phoenix Park at beginning of Feb. Have never run a XC race before.

Question regarding XC.
    Are spikes a must when running XC? Obviously the ground surface will vary from course to course and the weather in the build up to the race will have a say, but is it a big disadvantage in not wearing them?
    Thinking of doing the BHAA 4 mile in the Phoenix Park at beginning of Feb. Have never run a XC race before.

Really depends on the course and the weather. Sometimes you'd get away with trail shoes. Sometimes you'd get away with normal runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

right now you wouldn't get away with runner id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is there a standard max speed on all threadmills? Or does it vary from model to model?

Was slightly disappointed to find out that the one's in my work gym only go up to 18kmph - was in full on sprinting for a PB mode when I found this out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

I have used a large number over the years and have found that the majority max out at 20km p/h. Some are quite good at dealing with the faster speeds and others are pretty dangerous with the belt sporadically pausing and even some over heating if up at higher speeds for longer periods. Have stank out a gym before with the smell of burning rubber.

I would recommend gradually building up to a max speed if using a machine you are unfamiliar with.

Advertisement