Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Have I started some awful thing on the thread where we're all using that calculator and then feeling dejected? If so, really sorry! :eek:

Will I take it down, or is it useful? I REALLY don't want to start a plague of body hatred on the thread!

Read this as well that basically says we're all different and getting too thin is bad as well!

https://www.outsideonline.com/2030116/does-distance-running-have-weight-problem

ariana` wrote: »
    Hmmm not sure if this is a weird/stupid question but i have a feeling i don't activate my glutes when i run :o Something to do with the last time i had a deep tissue massage being told that i have 0 muscle there :o So i've been religiously doing squats, bridges and other strength exercises since but how i know if they're firing when i run or how do i make them fire?

I wonder that too!! Like you, I do loads of exercises but then I don't really know how to turn on those muscles when I'm running. Maybe we should do activation drills before a run or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I wonder that too!! Like you, I do loads of exercises but then I don't really know how to turn on those muscles when I'm running. Maybe we should do activation drills before a run or something?

Phew, glad i'm not the only one :) Yes activation drills might be something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Phew, glad i'm not the only one :) Yes activation drills might be something?

I got some stepping exercises from a Physical Therapist last year but never got into the swing of doing them at all (I got them just before I picked up some injury issues and had a lot of interruptions). This PT was convinced that strengthening is not enough, that you have to train your body with the movements to get the glutes to kick.

Looking at his website I'd guess the exercises were from the school of "Dynamic Movement Skills", but I've never had a session, just got the few exercises after a massage.

These days I've been trying to pay attention when running (also trying to do the "lead with the core" thing of chi running, and the legs follow). I think that my right glute isn't firing much, and the hip flexor is tighter than the other one for sure. Haven't been too successful in getting it to kick in, and I'm suspecting structural issues (bit of scolosis in lower back) might be causing the difference between the two sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Neady83 wrote: »
    How do you guys and gals measure body fat?

I haven't had mine measured properly ever, I just once got bits of me measured with a tape at the marathon expo, and once went on a Tanita scales at the mini marathon one, and then my parents got one of those body fat scales recently. My three measurements were different, but close enough to each other. Anyway, since my parents now have that scales, even if it's not giving me the right measurement, at least I can see if it goes up or down?
    If the scales is not giving you the right measurement, any changes in the measurement are also unreliable ("Measurement 101"). I also got a BF scales recently which requires you to enter lots of data such as height, age etc and then calculates stuff like BMI, BF% etc. I found that if I used a different age, it gives me a different BF% - i.e. it is making some assumptions based on age and therefore is incorrect. At this stage I know myself if I am carrying more weight/fat than I would like. Incorrectly measuring myself will not help me change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Hmmm not sure if this is a weird/stupid question but i have a feeling i don't activate my glutes when i run :o Something to do with the last time i had a deep tissue massage being told that i have 0 muscle there :o So i've been religiously doing squats, bridges and other strength exercises since but how i know if they're firing when i run or how do i make them fire?

This !

dna_leri wrote: »
    If the scales is not giving you the right measurement, any changes in the measurement are also unreliable ("Measurement 101"). I also got a BF scales recently which requires you to enter lots of data such as height, age etc and then calculates stuff like BMI, BF% etc. I found that if I used a different age, it gives me a different BF% - i.e. it is making some assumptions based on age and therefore is incorrect. At this stage I know myself if I am carrying more weight/fat than I would like. Incorrectly measuring myself will not help me change it.

Fair enough. I'm not really tracking it anyway - it's rare enough that I'd step on that scales. Like you, I suppose I know myself when I'm a bit fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Fair enough. I'm not really tracking it anyway - it's rare enough that I'd step on that scales. Like you, I suppose I know myself when I'm a bit fat.

I guess a dexa scan would be the most accurate way of give body fat %. Operation transformation is teaching me well.

Likewise HelenAnne, we all know when the muffin is starting to spill over ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Have I started some awful thing on the thread where we're all using that calculator and then feeling dejected? If so, really sorry! :eek:

It's recommending me a weight that I haven't seen since I was a teen (might be because I put in a random enough body fat %). If I was to lose the amount of weight recommended, it's telling me I should be about 60kg, my wife will send me to see someone for an eating disorder. Even when I was at my fittest and lightest I wasn't near that, and at that I had people telling me I had lost too much weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Will I take it down, or is it useful? I REALLY don't want to start a plague of body hatred on the thread!

Read this as well that basically says we're all different and getting too thin is bad as well!

https://www.outsideonline.com/2030116/does-distance-running-have-weight-problem
    Oh no don't be worrying about it! I double checked my details entered them again and yep target racing weight should be approx 7 stone! But I'd take that as if I was going for international athletics type racing, not my couple of runs a week, few little non-competitive races during the year type racing.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Oh no don't be worrying about it! I double checked my details entered them again and yep target racing weight should be approx 7 stone! But I'd take that as if I was going for international athletics type racing, not my couple of runs a week, few little non-competitive races during the year type racing.

Maybe this one would be better (as it's really easy and just involves multiplying your height etc). I've no idea if it's accurate, but calculations are fun! And this one seems more forgiving!

http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2014/11/a-formula-to-calculate-your-ideal-running-weight/#

Neady83 wrote: »
    I guess a dexa scan would be the most accurate way of give body fat %. Operation transformation is teaching me well.

Likewise HelenAnne, we all know when the muffin is starting to spill over ;)

I think everything about Operation Transformation looks fun - loads of exciting health / fitness checks, everyone coming with you on walks and runs, dressing up as the fire brigade, loads of good advice etc. EXCEPT there's no way I'd ever want to go into a circle of truth and have Dr Eddie Murphy look at me soulfully as I cry! I'd much rather be weighed on national tv in my underwear like they have to do than have to emote! (I know it's good for the participants in the end but I hate that they basically make them cry before they'll let them be on the show).

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Or maybe it's because you said 'LOADS of room for improvement'? (Did you?) I tried it again, this time pretending I was at peak fitness and a perfect eater and it gave me a different figure than before, so I think it takes us at our word about how good or bad we are currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Or maybe it's because you said 'LOADS of room for improvement'? (Did you?) I tried it again, this time pretending I was at peak fitness and a perfect eater and it gave me a different figure than before, so I think it takes us at our word about how good or bad we are currently.
    Yeah I was being hard enough on myself, far from peak fitness, lots of room from improvement. So when I changed that it brought me up to 7.5 stone which is still quite low (I'm 5ft2 and a small build anyway but I was naturally underweight as a teen). However I moved the slider for my current body fat from a guesstimate of 35% to a guesstimate of 30% and ideal weight went up to 8 stone which IMO would be my ideal min weight (I stress IMO).

I should really find out what my body fat actually is! I am carrying a bit around the middle alright and could probably be described as "skinny fat"

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

Hey guys any tips for running at night on country roads?? I have a hi-vis vest and a chest light thats good and bright just a bit weary especially a theres no lights on the route and with the amount of people killed on the roads recently!

Any help/tips would be much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Be safe - be seen Ed. Hi viz's all the way.

Keep an eye out for potholes, can easily twist your ankle. Look at your feet when cars are coming, can get blinded.

& always stay right.,

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Be safe - be seen Ed. Hi viz's all the way.

Keep an eye out for potholes, can easily twist your ankle. Look at your feet when cars are coming, can get blinded.

& always stay right.,

Cheers Ted! The road is pretty straight so should be fairly visible from a distance, I have the high vis and the light so I should be seen will keep an eye on the potholes never crossed my mind but they could mess you up!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

It's grand now, but if they were full of water, you wouldn't see them as easy.

Keep a watch out for branches & briars hanging out too.

I have got the odd slap of one of them.

And don't forget to enjoy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Mr.Ed wrote: »
    Hey guys any tips for running at night on country roads?? I have a hi-vis vest and a chest light thats good and bright just a bit weary especially a theres no lights on the route and with the amount of people killed on the roads recently!

Any help/tips would be much appreciated!!

As long as you have your hi-viz gear and a light you are probably safer than during the day because you can be seen from miles away - literally.

I have been running through the last 13 winters on dark, unlit country roads and have yet to have a close encounter.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    It's grand now, but if they were full of water, you wouldn't see them as easy.

Keep a watch out for branches & briars hanging out too.

I have got the odd slap of one of them.

And don't forget to enjoy it :D

Ha I'm hoping the light will help me avoid those!!
    As long as you have your hi-viz gear and a light you are probably safer than during the day because you can be seen from miles away - literally.

I have been running through the last 13 winters on dark, unlit country roads and have yet to have a close encounter.

That's good to hear! I did have a close call during the day last year and it's not a great experience to be honest!!
    Thanks for the advice again guys really appreciate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Like others said keep an eye on potholes.
    And enjoy. Love running in dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Make sure your gear is reflective, not just high-viz (the difference). It's also good to have something reflective or light-generating around your wrist(s) and/or ankle(s). There are studies which suggest that visibility range is much improved when the visible parts are at the extremities, not the torso.

Also, regardless of what you are wearing, you should always assume that other road-users have not seen you. Far too many pedestrians assume that other road-users must see them because of their clothes or position, when the reality is the road-user can very easily be momentarily distracted for a second, and if it's the wrong second, it can have dire consequences.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Wear reflective gear. Use your ears. If there is a car coming you will see the lights from way off. Use your ears to judge size and speed. Always think they have not seen you and move as tight as you can to the ditch. If your on a straight run in the middle of the road to get them to dim, if they don't dim, get in the ditch and be prepared for an idiot. In general run on the right but not when its safer on the left (larger hard shoulder or running around a right hand bend). Get to know the roads during the day, you will eventually know where the holes are.

Most of all be careful of the feet running behind you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thanks for all the advice it all seems to be common sense once you know it! Be as visible as you can but presume that you are invisible!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Looking like this is going to be third week in a row, and probably 5th week (overall) disrupted, of 16 week marathon plan between injury and illness. It's my first marathon. I feel I'm at the point of bailing and going for a deferral of my entry, with too much Long Run ground to make up if I don't get this weeks long run in (22km). Longest so far has been 18km, before injury. This weeks was due to be 22, which I doubt I'll be able to do, so I'll be another week behind.

So do I bail on Manchester and enter Dublin? Or try and get back on track for a few more weeks?

Edit - missed the deferral date anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Looking like this is going to be third week in a row, and probably 5th week (overall) disrupted, of 16 week marathon plan between injury and illness. It's my first marathon. I feel I'm at the point of bailing and going for a deferral of my entry, with too much Long Run ground to make up if I don't get this weeks long run in (22km). Longest so far has been 18km, before injury. This weeks was due to be 22, which I doubt I'll be able to do, so I'll be another week behind.

So do I bail on Manchester and enter Dublin? Or try and get back on track for a few more weeks?

Edit - missed the deferral date anyway.

I wouldn't bail just yet. If you get a bit of consistency you could be okay. Just work day to day and try and complete each session and see where it takes you. You should enter Dublin anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Took a direct hit from a seagull yesterday 'bout 2k into an 8k run. side of my face, into my glasses, f##king nightmare.

Its lucky though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Took a direct hit from a seagull yesterday 'bout 2k into an 8k run. side of my face, into my glasses, f##king nightmare.

Its lucky though, right?

OMG!!! Are you ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

kave2 wrote: »
    OMG!!! Are you ok?

by direct hit, I mean poop! ughhh

Advertisement