Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

by direct hit, I mean poop! ughhh

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Took a direct hit from a seagull yesterday 'bout 2k into an 8k run. side of my face, into my glasses, f##king nightmare.

Its lucky though, right?
    When I was finishing run the line last November, a runner who finished before me decided to run back up the trail with his dog. As a result I received 30 kilos of golden Labrador to the gut as I descended the final stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

How much should I drink before and lsr ? and how long before ? think I overdid it last weekend and felt unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Spirogyra wrote: »
    How much should I drink before and lsr ? and how long before ? think I overdid it last weekend and felt unwell.

I'd normally go on the lash before hand. Getting a bit old now, so arounf about 10pints of stout

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Spirogyra wrote: »

are you dehydrated from the night before? do you need to drink anything? how much do you normally drink when you get up in the morning?

If you feel like drinking a glass of water before you head out, I can't see it doing any harm, but no need for more either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

by direct hit, I mean poop! ughhh
    When I was finishing run the line last November, a runner who finished before me decided to run back up the trail with his dog. As a result I received 30 kilos of golden Labrador to the gut as I descended the final stretch.

That's some pile of sh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I hate running on concrete paths and feel that they give me sore knees very quickly. So I tend to hop off the road and run on the tarmac road as much as possible. Does this make sense or is it all in my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Nope, concrete is a lot more compact than tarmac is. There is more air pockets and more give in the road.

I do the exact same where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

How far apart/close to each other should 10k Tempo pace and Half Marathon pace be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

healy1835 wrote: »
    How far apart/close to each other should 10k Tempo pace and Half Marathon pace be?

About 20 seconds per mile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I see Balbriggan AC have recruited themselves a Rio Olympian as a member, Valdas Dopolskas, who ran the marathon for Lithuania in Rio. Anybody know is a he permanent fixture or on a flying visit? He won the Tuam 8k handily enough last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lougheee

I give them 6 months before Clonliffe poach him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I did a 8.30min mile on Wed at ALSAA track. How possible would it be to aim for 8mins in the next one? (22 Feb) Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I did a 8.30min mile on Wed at ALSAA track. How possible would it be to aim for 8mins in the next one? (22 Feb) Thank you

Personally that seems like a big performance jump in less than a month. What sort of training are you doing and how long have you been training?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'd ask yourself if you had you anything left in the tank at the end of the 8:30 min mile, did you finish feeling like you could have done more? Are you in a club, do you do interval sessions (400, 600, 800 metre repeats) as part of your training, maybe these could help you identify where you're at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

How long have you been running and racing? If you're very new to it and don't have much race practice, you might be able to aim for 8 mins, because a lot of your improvement between the two runs will be because you've had the practice and increased in confidence.

My first year with Raheny, I ran a mile time trial in around 8 mins, and then the same week knocked it down to just over 7 - that wasn't any increase in fitness, it was just because at the second one (a race) I had the confidence from having tried a mile once before - I knew how long it was, how out of breath I'd feel, a bit more about how to pace it etc etc.

If that sounds like you, and the one last week was your first ever paced mile / mile race etc, then I'd say go with the 8 min pacers and see how you do.

When I started running I was always knocking huge chunks off times, just because I was learning to race and learning to push etc. It got a lot harder to improve my times as I got more familiar with the various distances (sadly).

Good luck!

I think I sort of know the answer to this, just trying to weigh up the pros and cons.

Yesterday was a 'rest' day for me (that used to mean no running, but since Xmas I've been doing a few easy miles on Mondays, so I ran 4 VERY easy miles from work to meet a friend.

I intended to run to work this morning (7-ish miles) as I'm going out tonight, but I woke up feeling wrecked - could hardly open my eyes etc, so I skipped it. On the bus I started sneezing, so obviously that wrecked feeling was the beginning of a cold.

I have the Raheny 5 on Sunday and really don't want to be sick. My instinct is to get out for 4 miles at lunchtime (that's all I can fit in time-wise), but I suspect that I won't get any benefit from 4 miles, fitness-wise, before Sunday, and maybe I'm better doing nothing and heading off my cold.

But I'm afraid of losing fitness before Sunday! Someone tell me what to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

You won't lose any fitness between now and Sunday from any of the studies I have seen. Typically your aerobic fitness will really only start to decline after 7 - 14 days so I wouldn't worry.

Yeah, better to recover properly than to half-train, half-recover for a few days

HigginsJ wrote: »
    You won't lose any fitness between now and Sunday from any of the studies I have seen. Typically your aerobic fitness will really only start to decline after 7 - 14 days so I wouldn't worry.

Thanks! I know that's true, but I think you can lose a bit of race speed / sharpness in a few days, can't you? (Or is that an old wives tale?)

So I might be better skipping the easy, aimless few miles today and being better for my speed session tomorrow, I think ...

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, better to recover properly than to half-train, half-recover for a few days

thanks! are you doing Raheny? I'm in a bit of a pre-race panic as my last two parkruns have been at a slower pace than I want to run Raheny, and I was trying pretty hard! I'm trying to convince myself it was because they were both a bit off road (Templemore & Oldbridge) and that getting back on the actual roads will speed me up.

ETA: to say Get well soon, Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I think I sort of know the answer to this, just trying to weigh up the pros and cons.

Yesterday was a 'rest' day for me (that used to mean no running, but since Xmas I've been doing a few easy miles on Mondays, so I ran 4 VERY easy miles from work to meet a friend.

I intended to run to work this morning (7-ish miles) as I'm going out tonight, but I woke up feeling wrecked - could hardly open my eyes etc, so I skipped it. On the bus I started sneezing, so obviously that wrecked feeling was the beginning of a cold.

I have the Raheny 5 on Sunday and really don't want to be sick. My instinct is to get out for 4 miles at lunchtime (that's all I can fit in time-wise), but I suspect that I won't get any benefit from 4 miles, fitness-wise, before Sunday, and maybe I'm better doing nothing and heading off my cold.

But I'm afraid of losing fitness before Sunday! Someone tell me what to do :)

HA you know the answer yourself miss, it's the same answer you'd give to anyone else if they posted your question :p Rest up and lots of fluids and ecchineachea/vit c/zinc, get yourself well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

oldbridge is a very hard 5k, also on grass, i can run a minute faster on the road,that would vary depending on your level

IvoryTower wrote: »
    oldbridge is a very hard 5k, also on grass, i can run a minute faster on the road,that would vary depending on your level

Yes, I was about 70 secs slower than my PB, but I was actually pretty happy with my time -- if it had been called a 5k XC race, it would have been a pretty good time for me for XC!

I LOVED Oldbridge and really want to go back -- it had just the right amount of undulation / rough surfaces etc to make it a nice challenge, and it had beautiful views etc. And a lovely café and really friendly parkrun team. Oh and I met a runner who'd been my rival at Bere Island parkrun in the summer and we had a great race of it in Oldbridge too, so that was fun too. I definitely want to go back.

thanks! are you doing Raheny? I'm in a bit of a pre-race panic as my last two parkruns have been at a slower pace than I want to run Raheny, and I was trying pretty hard! I'm trying to convince myself it was because they were both a bit off road (Templemore & Oldbridge) and that getting back on the actual roads will speed me up.

ETA: to say Get well soon, Ray!

Yeah, I'm doing it, love that race :)

I'm telling myself that there is no real comparison between a real race and a parkrun, race pace will feel easier for much longer in Raheny :o

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm doing it, love that race :)

I'm telling myself that there is no real comparison between a real race and a parkrun, race pace will feel easier for much longer in Raheny :o

That's what I am saying too! And that home support will spur me on! :D

Good luck, hope it goes really well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Thanks guys for your replies. To answer your questions:
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    Personally that seems like a big performance jump in less than a month. What sort of training are you doing and how long have you been training?
    Currently following this plan ahead of Great Ireland Run http://grimages.blob.core.windows.net/blobgrimages1/documents/2017-01-13-GIR2017_Improver_10k_12_week_Training_Plan.pdf

It probably is a huge jump I'm not really that sure of these things.

ariana` wrote: »
    I'd ask yourself if you had you anything left in the tank at the end of the 8:30 min mile, did you finish feeling like you could have done more? Are you in a club, do you do interval sessions (400, 600, 800 metre repeats) as part of your training, maybe these could help you identify where you're at?

At the end of the 8:30 mile I didn't have much left, no. But this is the thing - I pushed really hard to get it done in 8:30 on that last lap. I was in the 9min mile group and felt the first 3 laps very very comfortable. So I'm wondering if I had been going at a consistently slightly faster pace throughout instead of very comfortable for 3 laps and then hell for leather in the last one would I have finished it in 8min.
    How long have you been running and racing? If you're very new to it and don't have much race practice, you might be able to aim for 8 mins, because a lot of your improvement between the two runs will be because you've had the practice and increased in confidence.

My first year with Raheny, I ran a mile time trial in around 8 mins, and then the same week knocked it down to just over 7 - that wasn't any increase in fitness, it was just because at the second one (a race) I had the confidence from having tried a mile once before - I knew how long it was, how out of breath I'd feel, a bit more about how to pace it etc etc.

If that sounds like you, and the one last week was your first ever paced mile / mile race etc, then I'd say go with the 8 min pacers and see how you do.

When I started running I was always knocking huge chunks off times, just because I was learning to race and learning to push etc. It got a lot harder to improve my times as I got more familiar with the various distances (sadly).

Good luck!

I'm running since April of last year but have been consistent since September.

I'm doing Raheny on Sunday so I guess my best bet is to keep an eye on my splits and then I'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don't see why you have to wait until Feb 22nd to practice it. Practice on your own if you have to - but preferably practice with someone who can easily pace you. Even run 2 laps and aim to finish in just under 4 minutes and you should know if you're feeling like you still have enough in the tank to do another 2 laps at a similar pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

- I pushed really hard to get it done in 8:30 on that last lap. I was in the 9min mile group and felt the first 3 laps very very comfortable..

I would say if it was as comfortable as you say you should have the 8 min mile in you now. If you made up 30 seconds on the last lap you would of been running 7min mile pace for 400 meters.

A lot of people tend to set conservative goals with their races. No harm in giving it a lash every now and again. Especially in short races where the recovery will be quick regardless I would recommend pushing it, you might surprise yourself and if not its all part of the learning process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I have a question about breathing while running. Obviously breathing is not something you have to concentrate on as it just comes naturally. I do find however that I just breathe into the top of my lungs. Would it be wise to try and take deeper fuller breaths and would this be more advantageous?

Advertisement