Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I have a question about breathing while running. Obviously breathing is not something you have to concentrate on as it just comes naturally. I do find however that I just breathe into the top of my lungs. Would it be wise to try and take deeper fuller breaths and would this be more advantageous?

Belly breathing is good if only because you can only really do it if you have good posture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Resting before a race - is total rest advisable or can I do, say, a spinning class?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Resting before a race - is total rest advisable or can I do, say, a spinning class?

What do you mean by before? As in the day before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

What do you mean by before? As in the day before?

Oh sorry I though I added that in. Two days before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Oh sorry I though I added that in. Two days before the race.

Well if the other option is total rest that would mean a three day gap, say Wednesday being the last run before a Saturday race. Sounds like a lot to me anyway.
    Depending on your strength as a cyclist and ability to recover, a spin class shouldn't do much harm and would be better, in my opinion, than two full days off. Some might feel bit sluggish after two days off..
    My own preference would be for some easy miles two days out, but everyone is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I wouldn't do a session two days before a race, so if the spinning class is like a hard running session I would skip it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks guys for your replies. To answer your questions:

At the end of the 8:30 mile I didn't have much left, no. But this is the thing - I pushed really hard to get it done in 8:30 on that last lap. I was in the 9min mile group and felt the first 3 laps very very comfortable. So I'm wondering if I had been going at a consistently slightly faster pace throughout instead of very comfortable for 3 laps and then hell for leather in the last one would I have finished it in 8min.

Sounds like you went well under 8:00 min mile for the last 400m. Which is a positive. It doesn't necessarily mean you can hold that pace for 1609m but i'd say give it a lash if conditions are favourable on the night and you're feeling good. What have you got to lose? So maybe you don't quite make 8:00 but it sounds like you have a sub 8:30 in you and a decent PB :)

I wouldn't rest but neither would i do a spinning class :eek: I'd probably do a very easy 2 miles the day before, very very easy, just to loosen out the legs and i find it gives me confidence to run easy.

But for me spinning would tire my legs, maybe if you are doing it all the time you wouldn't have the same effect :o

Good luck in Reheny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kwon

I think we should canvass all the athletic clubs who use the Phoenix Pk and start putting pressure on the council to switch the cycle lanes to the inside and let runners and pedestrians use the outside, currently, cycle lanes. It's unfair to expect people who run or walk to do so in pitch dark where the paths are often flooded or pot-holed so that cyclists can travel un-impeded.

But I'm also curious: are pedestrians and runners legally prohibited from using the cycling lanes after dark? Does anyone know? I ask as I witnessed an altercation between a cyclist and pedestrian - the large male cyclist was very aggressive towards a female runner who was well lit up and running along the edge of the lane

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I certainly wouldn't advise running in the cycle lane, no matter how lit up you are. The bikes there can be going quite fast and there was a collision recently between a cyclist and a pedestrian that ended up in a fatality.

If it's too dark maybe try running with a head torch to see where you are going. I'd say most running clubs don't use the path for running on anyway.

I'd read about a serious collision but didn't know it was a fatality. Not surprised, some of the cyclists seem to take aim at the runners for having the nerve to use their path! It's just a pity the council wouldn't consider giving the runners the same facilities, as OSOSLO pointed out, there seems to be as many, if not more. And what about my idea of switching the cyclists to the inside?

• Advertisement

Yes to the question about the high heels. But if you must wear them, take them off occasionally and stretch out your calves

Men have many advantages over women in running. Another being that during a distance race, like dogs, they can "go" against a tree!!

Kwon wrote: »
    I think we should canvass all the athletic clubs who use the Phoenix Pk and start putting pressure on the council to switch the cycle lanes to the inside and let runners and pedestrians use the outside, currently, cycle lanes. It's unfair to expect people who run or walk to do so in pitch dark where the paths are often flooded or pot-holed so that cyclists can travel un-impeded.

and then the cyclists start their own petition, saying it's unfair that they should be in the pitch-dark on flooded or potholed paths so joggers can use the cycle path (not that it ever stopped them anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone who's had a knee cut almost to the bone (multiple stitches/antibiotics etc), what's your experience of getting back to running? Not looking for medical advice - I'm not doing anything more than running for the bus until my stitches are out and we'll see the lie of the land then but just curious what others did.

RayCun wrote: »
    and then the cyclists start their own petition, saying it's unfair that they should be in the pitch-dark on flooded or potholed paths so joggers can use the cycle path (not that it ever stopped them anyway)

Yes but the original question asked why do cyclists get priority- there must be some way to keep everybody safe. The government claim to encourage keeping fit and healthy but they don't do much to facilitate it. Anyway, curious to know if anyone knows the legal position

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

But I'm also curious: are pedestrians and runners legally prohibited from using the cycling lanes after dark? Does anyone know? I ask as I witnessed an altercation between a cyclist and pedestrian - the large male cyclist was very aggressive towards a female runner who was well lit up and running along the edge of the lane
    I'd read about a serious collision but didn't know it was a fatality. Not surprised, some of the cyclists seem to take aim at the runners for having the nerve to use their path! It's just a pity the council wouldn't consider giving the runners the same facilities, as OSOSLO pointed out, there seems to be as many, if not more. And what about my idea of switching the cyclists to the inside?

There are big signs the whole way up the cycle lanes which indicate that walkers are not permitted. I'd imagine if you tried to put a claim in against the OPW if hit by a bike along this stretch, you would have no case.

The council have nothing to do with it, it is the OPW.

There are facilities provided for pedestrians, there is a path on the inside.

I have never, ever seen a cyclist 'take aim' at any runner or walker that uses the cycle lanes in the Phoenix Park.

Why on earth would switching cyclists to the inside even constitute as a good idea? Cyclists actually belong on the road, they are vehicles, giving them a separate lane is a safety precaution for both the cyclist and other users of the park. The only people who make it dangerous are the pedestrians/runners who walk/run in the cycle lane. Not the cyclists.

The cycle lanes are extremely dangerous as it is as people need to cross them to cross the road or get in and out of their car without people making them more dangerous by walking/running in them.

I have major issues with the segregation as it is. When they were redoing Chesterfield Avenue they should have put the parking spots where the cycle lanes are now and put the cycle lane on the road.

People decide to walk / run in the cycle lanes, yet would go apoplectic if a bike dared use the pedestrian footpath.

There is plenty of grass alongside the cycle lanes that you can use to run on and the pedestrian footpaths on Chesterfield avenue are in fine condition. You get the odd puddle, so what, just run through it... :confused:

Where are the potholes on chesterfield avenue footpaths? Why not contact the OPW and petition for potholes to be filled in? Or request lighting on the inner path?
    Or just don't run in the park in the dark...

There seems to be frustration on both sides. Yes would've been a good idea to put cycle lanes on edge of road and leave path to pedestrians. I think the big issue is lighting. And yes, I've actually experienced cyclists taking aim, perhaps just as a scare. But it's a bit like road rage, people need to live and let live to some extent and stop getting so worked up. As long as people take due care and don't walk 2 or 3 abreast in dark clothing then what's the problem? A person running doesn't take up any more room than a person on a bike!!

As long as people take due care and don't walk 2 or 3 abreast in dark clothing then what's the problem? A person running doesn't take up any more room than a person on a bike!!

the problem would be that walkers and runners are slower than cyclists, and often don't seem to be aware that cyclists are approaching from behind so could veer around the path. So if you're on a bike, you catch up on pedestrians quickly, and each encounter is more exciting than you'd like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

There are big signs the whole way up the cycle lanes which indicate that walkers are not permitted. I'd imagine if you tried to put a claim in against the OPW if hit by a bike along this stretch, you would have no case.

The council have nothing to do with it, it is the OPW.

There are facilities provided for pedestrians, there is a path on the inside.

I have never, ever seen a cyclist 'take aim' at any runner or walker that uses the cycle lanes in the Phoenix Park.

Why on earth would switching cyclists to the inside even constitute as a good idea? Cyclists actually belong on the road, they are vehicles, giving them a separate lane is a safety precaution for both the cyclist and other users of the park. The only people who make it dangerous are the pedestrians/runners who walk/run in the cycle lane. Not the cyclists.

The cycle lanes are extremely dangerous as it is as people need to cross them to cross the road or get in and out of their car without people making them more dangerous by walking/running in them.

I have major issues with the segregation as it is. When they were redoing Chesterfield Avenue they should have put the parking spots where the cycle lanes are now and put the cycle lane on the road.

People decide to walk / run in the cycle lanes, yet would go apoplectic if a bike dared use the pedestrian footpath.

There is plenty of grass alongside the cycle lanes that you can use to run on and the pedestrian footpaths on Chesterfield avenue are in fine condition. You get the odd puddle, so what, just run through it... :confused:

Where are the potholes on chesterfield avenue footpaths? Why not contact the OPW and petition for potholes to be filled in? Or request lighting on the inner path?
    Or just don't run in the park in the dark...

Well said RQ. I've emailed the OPW several times to find out if and when they are doing to improve the structure on Chesterfield Ave, the first reply I got said they were 'having a meeting'. Following that meeting the only 'improvements' (depending on your perspective) was to repaint the bikes on the cycle paths and put in a few STOP lines on the same paths and junctions. I never got a reply to my follow up email. I walk, run and cycle in the park. As a runner, the inside paths are often flooded and lighting aside they need to do something about that if they want to keep people walking or running in there. The cycle lanes are good apart from their location, it's not possible to get from your car to a path without crossing one and of course people dawdle, put buggies together, gather the troops etc etc so it's quite dangerous. You can't cycle on the road either as motorists will blast you out of it or someone will open their car door on top of you. Facilities for all users are not as good as they should be and it needs to be redesigned properly.

Either way, if you're running or walking stay off the cycle lane for everyone's safety, and canvas the OPW for improvements.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Either way, if you're running or walking stay off the cycle lane for everyone's safety, and canvas the OPW for improvements.

Yep...no different to running on the road. People wouldn't do that but deem it acceptable to run on cycle lanes. Another sign of how people, no matter what other activity they are doing (driving/walking/running) deem cyclists an inconvenience. Bizarre attitude to cyclists.

I always stay on the road on the bike in park btw as cycle lanes are too dangerous. Most of chesterfield, at the times I'd be cycling there anyway, you can cycle in the parking spots out of the way...the only time it gets narrow and you need to be in the lane is down by the zoo when traffic slows anyway and usually it is the cars slowing down me there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ban cars. Cyclists on roads. Runners/walkers everywhere else. Simple!

They need dedicated lanes for runners, same as cyclists. If you run on the inside path you constantly come up behind walkers, buggy pushers, dogs on leads stretched across the width of the path and they don't move even if they see you coming. During the good weather runners can go into the trails but guess what, the walkers go off the footpaths and block the trails also!!! Nowhere for runners to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

They need dedicated lanes for runners, same as cyclists. If you run on the inside path you constantly come up behind walkers, buggy pushers, dogs on leads stretched across the width of the path and they don't move even if they see you coming. During the good weather runners can go into the trails but guess what, the walkers go off the footpaths and block the trails also!!! Nowhere for runners to go

There's over 1,700 acres in the Phoenix Park, all of it is runnable. If you can't find a quiet place to run your not looking hard enough.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Ban cars. Cyclists on roads. Runners/walkers everywhere else. Simple!

That was my suggestion to them!! It's a park after all :)

That's really only an issue on Chesterfield Ave, as tang said, run elsewhere in the park, have never once had an issue with pedestrians on the s-bends, the kyber or magazine fort :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It probably doesn't fit in with your agenda, but it was actually the cyclist that was the fatality, not the pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Tomorrow night I'm running my first ever night time trail race in the Mourne Mountains. The info says that trail shoes are a must and also says to wear base layers, gloves, hat, torch, backup torch and basically lots of warm clothing. I bought a headlamp and am going to look for trail shoes tomorrow morning. I was planning on wearing a base layer, t-shirt, shorts and gloves. Is that enough? or is it a purely personal thing?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It probably doesn't fit in with your agenda, but it was actually the cyclist that was the fatality, not the pedestrian.

What agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

KJ wrote: »
    Tomorrow night I'm running my first ever night time trail race in the Mourne Mountains. The info says that trail shoes are a must and also says to wear base layers, gloves, hat, torch, backup torch and basically lots of warm clothing. I bought a headlamp and am going to look for trail shoes tomorrow morning. I was planning on wearing a base layer, t-shirt, shorts and gloves. Is that enough? or is it a purely personal thing?

What's the weather forecast like? How long is the race? Through the entire night or a 20k number.

If it's through the night in the mountains I'd go with a bit more than T and shorts......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

For chesterfield avenue there is a decent enough trail on the inside of both the cycle lane and the footpath. It's easily the best for running along the avenue but as mentioned already there is so much space to run in the park there really is no excuse to be running on the cycle lane or footpath.

Advertisement