Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Itziger wrote: »
    What's the weather forecast like? How long is the race? Through the entire night or a 20k number.

If it's through the night in the mountains I'd go with a bit more than T and shorts......

Oh no it's just a 10k. The forecast is to be dry and about 6 degrees. I got some trail runners this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kwon

adrian522 wrote: »
    For chesterfield avenue there is a decent enough trail on the inside of both the cycle lane and the footpath. It's easily the best for running along the avenue but as mentioned already there is so much space to run in the park there really is no excuse to be running on the cycle lane or footpath.

All these other places, are they as well lit up as the cycle lanes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That was my suggestion to them!! It's a park after all :)

But then how would we drive to the park to run :p
    There would be huge benefit though, IMO to finding some way to cut out people using it to just drive through it and have the roads only for people actually looking to use park facilities. There are no provisions for pedestrians to even cross the roads, Chesterfield can be a dangerous as people not only use it for the rat race but they're doing insane speeds on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

KJ wrote: »
    Oh no it's just a 10k. The forecast is to be dry and about 6 degrees. I got some trail runners this morning.

Ah, you'll be grand then!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Kwon wrote: »

No they are not. But you won't interfere with cyclists on them so there is that. There are so many places to run in this city that are lit up at night time it seems a bit silly to be running on those cycle paths though. No excuses for it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

There would be huge benefit though, IMO to finding some way to cut out people using it to just drive through it and have the roads only for people actually looking to use park facilities. There are no provisions for pedestrians to even cross the roads, Chesterfield can be a dangerous as people not only use it for the rat race but they're doing insane speeds on it too.

And in fairness it's not really the answer either, I'd suggest maybe traffic only along the North Road (cause it's horrible :p) with big parking areas. That leaves Chesterfield and the lovely S-bends/trails etc free for runners, cyclists and walkers (although they should be banished to the north road too :D) It'll never happen though, if we closed the park to through traffic the Cabra/Navan Road would grind to a halt permanently (and then I couldn't get to the pool :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

FWIW the cycle lanes are not well lit either, even with a good front light on my bike I've trouble seeing anything else on the lane in the evenings (unless they're lit up very well). Take your complaint to the OPW, they are the only ones with the power to resolve any of these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

FWIW the cycle lanes are not well lit either, even with a good front light on my bike I've trouble seeing anything else on the lane in the evenings (unless they're lit up very well). Take your complaint to the OPW, they are the only ones with the power to resolve any of these issues.
    +1
    There's very little illumination from the lamps on Chesterfield Avenue. More aesthetic than for any practical reason.

Definitely. I will add my complaints to OPW too, although I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. Every city should have a park where people can get some exercise and proper lighting should be provided- keeping people fit and healthy should be a priority. And until it's sorted maybe there should be strict speed limits for bikes as well as cars

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Definitely. I will add my complaints to OPW too, although I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. Every city should have a park where people can get some exercise and proper lighting should be provided- keeping people fit and healthy should be a priority. And until it's sorted maybe there should be strict speed limits for bikes as well as cars

It's all about providing the space - lighting is a luxury and probably hard to fully justify even when provided with the utmost environmental sensitivity. Banning cars would be a much higher priority in my book. No one wants to pay any tax anymore anyway, so providing decent extras like lighting belong to a bygone era of social responsibility and commitment to the common good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Been reading some things online about the optical HRM on running watches being considerably less accurate than similar watches paired with a chest strap (had been looking at Garmin FR 235 or 630, but not married to a brand). Never worn a chest strap but seems like it would be annoying (or worse, chafe). Any opinions on one vs the other, accuracy and comfort wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Never had trouble with a chest strap chafing. It can only chafe if it moves, and if it moves much it will end up around your waist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I have a chest strap with my Polar M400, honestly wouldn't know its there when I'm running.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Recognition Scene

Thanks folks!

You should ask them to cull the deer too. I'm assuming that they too may be an inconvenience to you.

You should ask them to cull the deer too. I'm assuming that they too may be an inconvenience to you.

They do cull the dear. Although as far as I'm aware they don't go on the paths or get in the way. Had checked out Random Running questions, answered a few, posed a few of my own & got quite a few bitchy, unhelpful comments like this. Some useful suggestions though. Checked out the park yesterday evening after dark & could not find anywhere that wasn't pitch dark, other than the cycle lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

They do cull the dear. Although as far as I'm aware they don't go on the paths or get in the way. Had checked out Random Running questions, answered a few, posed a few of my own & got quite a few bitchy, unhelpful comments like this. Some useful suggestions though. Checked out the park yesterday evening after dark & could not find anywhere that wasn't pitch dark, other than the cycle lanes

Buy a headlamp.

I live in the countryside where we don't have footpaths on most roads. Headlamp, hi viz and off I go in the pitch black running on the road. Never nearly got hit by anyone and my only incident in 4 years is spraining my ankle once in a puddle which was more down to my dodgy ankles than anything else. Cycle lanes are not for runners, runners have the footpaths. Have some thought and consideration for your fellow commuters. Cycle lanes were built for a reason, to seperate pedestrians and traffic from cyclists, it's simply just good manners and be happy that you even have footpaths, us boggers have to face cars on the road.

In each of your posts you have come back to consistently rubbish suggestions from others, each of which has disagreed with you. The sense of entitlement from your posts is shocking and it continued in this one.
    No need for the bitchy, unhelpful comment. People have been very civil despite backlashes and lack of acknowledgment in each of your responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Those of you who normally wear glasses, do you wear them when running? I find my nose gets very sweaty and they move around a bit. I have some prescription ski goggles that I wear when cycling, and have worn them a few times running, but they do look a bit like overkill jogging around the park. So was just wondering what other spectacle wearers do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I wear them unless its raining. I take them off when doing my warm up but other than that fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

It would probably depend how well you can see without them. I normally wear glasses, but I can see well enough without them (enough not to be bumping in to things anyway), so leave them off when running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

quickbeam wrote: »
    It would probably depend how well you can see without them. I normally wear glasses, but I can see well enough without them (enough not to be bumping in to things anyway), so leave them off when running.

I do run without them sometimes, and can see reasonably well, or thought I could, except at a race a few months ago, running with a friend, saw something white ahead, and asked her if it was a runner in the same race, she gave me a very strange look and told me it was the organiser's van - whoops. But yeah, I can see well enough not to bump into things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

muddypaws wrote: »
    So was just wondering what other spectacle wearers do.
    My wife uses daily disposable contact lens purely for running/ exercise.

I was going to go that route myself, but was basically told by the optician that my script wasn't enough to warrant it - I'm recommended to wear glasses driving, but still above the legal requirements so don't need to wear them. I also looked at prescription sunglasses/ shades for running and the bike - you can get them with prescription lenses rather than inserts (so less issues with fogging between insert and the glass).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

So was just wondering what other spectacle wearers do.

I rarely wear them when running despite being very short sighted. They're a pain when it's raining and they tend to fog up whenever I run more than jogging pace.

The only time I would wear them is when I'm in a long race with plenty of aid stations where I prefer to see what's on offer without squinting, or when running a trail when I have to see the surface ahead of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Murph_D wrote: »
    It's all about providing the space - lighting is a luxury and probably hard to fully justify even when provided with the utmost environmental sensitivity. Banning cars would be a much higher priority in my book. No one wants to pay any tax anymore anyway, so providing decent extras like lighting belong to a bygone era of social responsibility and commitment to the common good.

I'm not sure if parks being lit up all night would be good idea anyway, even if it was financially viable. Wouldn't it keep the birds awake and mess with their circadian rhythms? (That's not a joke, I think they really would be up tweeting all night if it was lit up, and we (humans) are not the only ones who use the city parks!

Those of you who normally wear glasses, do you wear them when running? I find my nose gets very sweaty and they move around a bit. I have some prescription ski goggles that I wear when cycling, and have worn them a few times running, but they do look a bit like overkill jogging around the park. So was just wondering what other spectacle wearers do.

My eye sight is really bad, so I can't manage without them. I have a few pairs of glasses, so I wear the ones that sit most firmly on my nose if I'm running in glasses, or I wear my contact lenses. I HATE running in the rain in my glasses - I can never see a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm not sure if parks being lit up all night would be good idea anyway, even if it was financially viable. Wouldn't it keep the birds awake and mess with their circadian rhythms? (That's not a joke, I think they really would be up tweeting all night if it was lit up, and we (humans) are not the only ones who use the city parks!

Chesterfield is only lit up because it is a main road, most parks are not lit

RayCun wrote: »

Yeah, I can't think of any other park that is lit - hence why they close as they are too dark for people to be stumbling around in.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

Yes, I know. Sorry, was responding to Kwon up-thread's suggestion (that I think MurphD was responding to too (hence my confusing quoting)) that 'every city should have a park that's lit at night for people to exercise in'.

I know Chesterfield needs streetlights, but I don't think parks in general should be floodlit night and day on the off chance that Kwon (and any other night runners) decide to go for a run :).

Advertisement