Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was agreeing with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I'm not sure if parks being lit up all night would be good idea anyway, even if it was financially viable. Wouldn't it keep the birds awake and mess with their circadian rhythms? (That's not a joke, I think they really would be up tweeting all night if it was lit up, and we (humans) are not the only ones who use the city parks!

Doorly park in Sligo has a running/walking and cycling track that is lit until 10pm each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

muddypaws wrote: »
    Those of you who normally wear glasses, do you wear them when running? I find my nose gets very sweaty and they move around a bit. I have some prescription ski goggles that I wear when cycling, and have worn them a few times running, but they do look a bit like overkill jogging around the park. So was just wondering what other spectacle wearers do.
    Try contact lenses. Most opticians will give you a trial pack after a test and fitting. Even with -1.25 SPH, I can see the difference and would not be without them except for the odd early morning jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

dna_leri wrote: »
    Try contact lenses. Most opticians will give you a trial pack after a test and fitting. Even with -1.25 SPH, I can see the difference and would not be without them except for the odd early morning jog.

I used to wear contacts, but due to my advanced age ;) I need bi-focals now (I haven't given in and gotten any yet, just take my glasses off for close up) but not sure how that would work with contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

muddypaws wrote: »
    I used to wear contacts, but due to my advanced age ;) I need bi-focals now (I haven't given in and gotten any yet, just take my glasses off for close up) but not sure how that would work with contacts.

I wear my glasses (varifocals) for short training runs. Distance contact lenses for races but as I am now classed as a "senior citizen" I find that I probably should get some varifocal contacts because with the distance lenses in I find it difficult to even see the garmin. My script is in the -5.75 to -6.00 range !!.I did try varifocal lenses a few years ago for everyday wear but just could never get the balance between reading and distance quite right. Would be fine for running though.......Specsavers is getting a visit soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

What is the best thing to wear when running in the pouring rain? Really wanted to go out after work but it was lashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Depends how lashing, lashing is.

I only have a baseball cap to keep rain out of my eyes as well as t-shirt / shorts.

Then again, the rain doesn't bother me too much.

Skin is waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

My eye sight is really bad, so I can't manage without them. I have a few pairs of glasses, so I wear the ones that sit most firmly on my nose if I'm running in glasses, or I wear my contact lenses. I HATE running in the rain in my glasses - I can never see a thing!

Know how you feel, I was out or a jog before xmas and managed to run into a metal fence :o cause it was pitch black and lashing rain. Meant a diet of ibuprofen for around two week as ribs on one side were annoyingly sore.

On an unrelated topic, think I'll need to change the runners I have at work soon as there isn't too much left of the soles :)

o9ha4l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Any idea how many miles you have on those, opus?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

opus wrote: »
    Know how you feel, I was out or a jog before xmas and managed to run into a metal fence :o cause it was pitch black and lashing rain. Meant a diet of ibuprofen for around two week as ribs on one side were annoyingly sore.

On an unrelated topic, think I'll need to change the runners I have at work soon as there isn't too much left of the soles :)

o9ha4l.jpg

I ran a hole through an old pari last year :) Noticed my toe was sore about half way into a 21 mile run...didn't realise why till I got home and noticed I was traipsing blood through the house :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

ene wrote: »
    What is the best thing to wear when running in the pouring rain? Really wanted to go out after work but it was lashing!

I wear the same gear, raining or not. I'd adjust for temperature alright. But like above poster, I quite enjoy running in the rain. Just go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I wear the same gear, raining or not. I'd adjust for temperature alright. But like above poster, I quite enjoy running in the rain. Just go for it!

Same here. I have a cheap running rain jacket but it's just not breathable and very uncomfortable. Its not pleasant at the start of the run in the rain but its fine once you get going and at the end i always feel great especially after a hot shower :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Need to stay off my ankle for a couple of weeks so I'm interested in doing a bit of training in a pool.

I've read about using a flotation device and 'running', is there a particular piece of kit that I need or can I use a rubber ring?

Don't mind too much about looking a bit daft.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lazare wrote: »
    Need to stay off my ankle for a couple of weeks so I'm interested in doing a bit of training in a pool.

I've read about using a flotation device and 'running', is there a particular piece of kit that I need or can I use a rubber ring?

You can get an aqua jogging belt or you can just go up and down without one. There's a big dude in my pool who can run up and down the pool quicker than I can swim... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

You could buy an aqua belt but they're a bit pricey iirc so probably not worth the investment if you only need it for a couple of weeks.

Cycling or swimming should keep you ticking over until the injury heals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

The aqua jogging belts are quite good. Some pools have a stock of them they use for aqua aerobics and the like. You might be able to borrow one. It's terrible boring though and a bit tricky. I used to do intervals to pass the time. So do some gentle aqua jogging for 10 to 15 mins then something like one minute hard one minute easy for 20 minutes and then a bit of a cool down. There's plenty of stuff on the net about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

My eye sight is really bad, so I can't manage without them. I have a few pairs of glasses, so I wear the ones that sit most firmly on my nose if I'm running in glasses, or I wear my contact lenses. I HATE running in the rain in my glasses - I can never see a thing!

A cap can help with visibility.

I always wear my glasses - I'm clumsy enough with them as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks guys, great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I noticed something weird today. I ran a couple of kilometers with a friend, with a couple of kilometers either side of this run which was me getting to and home from the meeting spot.

My pace and heart rate in the first couple of k (when I was on my own) were normal enough. I then met up with him (didn't even break stride as he was there first), and talked with him the whole way. For this section, my pace increased by about 30 second per k, but my heart rate dropped by about 8-10 beats. Then when I left him, my pace decreased back to the original pace, and my heart rate when up a bit as well.

Is this just a coincidental watch malfunction, or is there something in the fact that I was talking the whole time with him or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Is your friend Buddha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You can get an aqua jogging belt or you can just go up and down without one. There's a big dude in my pool who can run up and down the pool quicker than I can swim... :eek:
    Unfortunately, I've a bit of experience with this, between injury and now vertigo (seem to be ok pool running, but not proper running)...

The advice I've found actually recommends doing it with a belt to avoid over extension of the leg to avoid hamstring issues - high cadence and high knees. But I think there are other techniques that are supposed to mimic running more.

The technique I follow you're supposed to be quite upright - so it is slow, kinda surprised anyone would be fast. However, I think there are other techniques - there is someone in my pool who appears to be aqua running but a technique much more like swimming. I haven't had the chance to ask, as I'm never at the wall, as I have to stay in deep water!

I'm not sure it's any better cross training than the bike to be honest. I already do bike sessions though, so this is a way of keeping in 2 sessions a day and using the pool membership, as I currently can't swim either. I'm also using a metronome so I am going with it helping the muscle memory for a higher cadence when I am back running, but that's probably a bit of straw clutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Cartman78 wrote: »
    You could buy an aqua belt but they're a bit pricey iirc so probably not worth the investment if you only need it for a couple of weeks.

Cycling or swimming should keep you ticking over until the injury heals
    The aqua jogging belts are quite good. Some pools have a stock of them they use for aqua aerobics and the like. You might be able to borrow one. It's terrible boring though and a bit tricky. I used to do intervals to pass the time. So do some gentle aqua jogging for 10 to 15 mins then something like one minute hard one minute easy for 20 minutes and then a bit of a cool down. There's plenty of stuff on the net about it.

They're not too expensive, the belts, you can get them for around E20 on the internet. I think I'd find it really difficult to keep myself afloat without it, the effort would go into staying upright and not the jogging. I bought one about 10 years ago during an ITB problem and thought that was the last I'd see of it but I've had to dig it out of the boxroom a few times over the past years.

You definitely have to do intervals in the pool, you get nothing out of wafting around. Common 50mins one I do is 10min w/u, then 1min, 2min, 3min, 4min, 5min @effort/tempo with 1min recovery, 10x(30sec "sprint", 30sec rec), 10mins c/d.

Also you need to keep alert in the longer "effort" sections as it's easy to lose focus with the lapping of the water :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

My pace and heart rate in the first couple of k (when I was on my own) were normal enough. I then met up with him (didn't even break stride as he was there first), and talked with him the whole way. For this section, my pace increased by about 30 second per k, but my heart rate dropped by about 8-10 beats. Then when I left him, my pace decreased back to the original pace, and my heart rate when up a bit as well.

Is this just a coincidental watch malfunction, or is there something in the fact that I was talking the whole time with him or something?

What watch are you using? And your friend? Maybe your watch connected to your friends heart rate monitor. This can happen if, for example, you have a watch with an optical heart rate monitor and someone nearby is wearing a strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

What watch are you using? And your friend? Maybe your watch connected to your friends heart rate monitor. This can happen if, for example, you have a watch with an optical heart rate monitor and someone nearby is wearing a strap.

Interesting... Thought you were on to something there cause I've a forerunner 225(optical HR), but he doesn't measure HR at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I woke up yesterday with a cold, and I'm registered for Trim on Sunday.

Has anybody raced with a full-on cold and had it work out? My sensible side is telling me to not go all-out on Sunday and lower expectations significantly. I think that when I blew up spectacularly at last year's DCM it was down to having a cold, so I think I have form of it affecting me.

My non-sensible side is of course telling me to go out at target pace and see what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Singer wrote: »
    I woke up yesterday with a cold, and I'm registered for Trim on Sunday.

Has anybody raced with a full-on cold and had it work out? My sensible side is telling me to not go all-out on Sunday and lower expectations significantly. I think that when I blow up spectacularly at last year's DCM it was down to having a cold, so I think I have form of it affecting me.

My non-sensible side is of course telling me to go out at target pace and see what happens :)

Snap! Except I'm only racing 2 miles on Sunday :p see how you feel on Sunday morning, dose up on every cold remedy known to man & sleep as much as you can. Hope you're feeling better - if not maybe run it at HMP instead? I wouldn't try flat out race pace for 10 miles with a full blown cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've raced with a cold exactly once and that was one of the few lessons that actually stuck - there is no point to it. You just cannot push yourself anywhere near as hard and you will be completely wiped out at the end for a very disappointing result.

If you just treat it as a training run, on the other hand, that's fine. As long as the chest is clear you can always do a training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

snailsong wrote: »
    Any idea how many miles you have on those, opus?

Don't keep track of miles on shoes so no idea, few thousand at least I'd guess as those are DS Trainer 17's so probably 4-5 years old.
    I ran a hole through an old pari last year :) Noticed my toe was sore about half way into a 21 mile run...didn't realise why till I got home and noticed I was traipsing blood through the house :D

And there was me thinking of changing them cause I've exposed some hard bit of plastic, will harden up and keep going ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I've raced with a cold exactly once and that was one of the few lessons that actually stuck - there is no point to it. You just cannot push yourself anywhere near as hard and you will be completely wiped out at the end for a very disappointing result.

If you just treat it as a training run, on the other hand, that's fine. As long as the chest is clear you can always do a training run.

Ok, gonna run it steady, maybe increasing to MP in the last few miles if things are good. My 10 mile PB will remain soft until this year's Frank Duffy so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I've a 10 km target race in 9 weeks time which i'm following a plan for.

Dare i hope that my 5 km time will also come down as a result of following a 10 km training plan?

I have some interval sessions scheduled with 200/400/600s @ 5k pace but the emphasis is on longer reps at 10 k pace.

10 km is the goal but i have a 5 k race during the 10 week plan so was wondering am i mad to think maybe i could go for 2 pbs (greedy guts :D)

My 10 k pb is very soft, my 5 k feels a lot less so :rolleyes:

Advertisement