Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Is there a reason why positions are based on gross times rather than net in myrunresults?

Seems odd, I was walking and shuffling for over 2.5mins before crossing the start at Raheny last week, had the difference between my gross and net been say, 30 seconds I would be positioned 300 spaces up.

Obv not a huge deal, just curious as to why as it seems illogical.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Lazare wrote: »
    Is there a reason why positions are based on gross times rather than net in myrunresults?

Seems odd, I was walking and shuffling for over 2.5mins before crossing the start at Raheny last week, had the difference between my gross and net been say, 30 seconds I would be positioned 300 spaces up.

Because race results, officially, are based on gun time so that is the way they are correctly ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

It's not that your position is based on gross times, your position is based on how many have crossed the line before you. Regardless of where they started. So yes you could run the same net time as someone who starts in the front row, and finish hundreds of places behind them.

Ultimately it's a race, so all that really matters is getting to the line before the other guy. Sure there may have been 3000 people, and you got stuck behind a lot of them, but that doesn't change anything. Next time push up the field a bit more before the start, maybe ask some people around you what kind of time they're aiming for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Because if it wasn't, you might have situations where the first runner to cross the finishline might not be the winner. It was also make it unfair if the person behind you on the road was leading as you can't react to their moves giving them a tactical advantage. Racing is different to time trialing and that system is the most fair way to decide position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Next time push up the field a bit more before the start, maybe ask some people around you what kind of time they're aiming for.

Yeah, I've learnt that. Was my first race. Enjoyed it immensely regardless though.
    El Caballo wrote: »
    Because if it wasn't, you might have situations where the first runner to cross the finishline might not be the winner. It was also make it unfair if the person behind you on the road was leading as you can't react to their moves giving them a tactical advantage. Racing is different to time trialing and that system is the most fair way to decide position.

This makes tons of sense. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Limestone123

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how I can access my time from the Bay10k so that I can use it to enter as a runner in the mini marathon? Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me how I can access my time from the Bay10k so that I can use it to enter as a runner in the mini marathon? Thanks a million.

I think they were printed in a newspaper the next day. I have the newspaper in the house. If you want to shoot me a pm with your name and your finish time then I can find it for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hi,

http://www.myrunresults.com/events/dlr_bay_run_10k/318/results

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Limestone123

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Any pros/cons to replacing a tempo run with a parkrun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

ariana` wrote: »
    Any pros/cons to replacing a tempo run with a parkrun?

Cons:
    Limited distance (5k)
    Could run into traffic if a multiple lapped course
    Could suddenly find yourself racing if the competitive juices start flowing, so you need to be disciplined to not spoil your tempo session

Pros:
    Will somewhat replicate race conditions
    Should feel a little easier than on your own
    Might find someone to run at your pace

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

My calf starts off sore (I end up limping), but then after a few minutes it gets a bit better and I'm not limping. Then if I stop at lights or for any other reason, I limp when I start again, but again it gets better after a few minutes.

I've decided to take a few days off and see does it get better, but I'm interested in why the pain gets better as I get into my stride, if anyone can shed any light?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

My calf starts off sore (I end up limping), but then after a few minutes it gets a bit better and I'm not limping. Then if I stop at lights or for any other reason, I limp when I start again, but again it gets better after a few minutes.

I've decided to take a few days off and see does it get better, but I'm interested in why the pain gets better as I get into my stride, if anyone can shed any light?

Id say stretch it out before the run, heat/ice after but its a bit odd that it hurts even if you stop for a brief period.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Id say stretch it out before the run, heat/ice after but its a bit odd that it hurts even if you stop for a brief period.

Yeah that's the part that's confusing me. I was thinking that maybe I am finding a way to run without it hurting as much, but it takes me a few strides to find that method and get into a rhythm.

Anyone know of a site/app/tool that will plan out a route for me if I want to be sure of doing specific distances, especially longer runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Anyone know of a site/app/tool that will plan out a route for me if I want to be sure of doing specific distances, especially longer runs.

Geo distance or map my run

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RunnerGarf

I use a website called onthegomap.com to plan out my routes when I'm looking to do a certain distance. You just plot the route and it tells you how far it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Bing maps lets you draw out a route (with a touch screen anyway) and tells you the distance

Thanks all, onthegomaps.com looks ideal. Have a route planned for later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Running years, but never experienced this.

So ran Raheny 5 miler, ran it 1:30 faster than last year. Got a cold on the Tuesday after it and was out of work till Friday and didnt run till last Monday. Pace in the speed work sessions gone backwards, just these ones.

But usually after I run a race i seem to move on to the next level, but this time I have gone backwards, anyone experience this?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Running years, but never experienced this.

So ran Raheny 5 miler, ran it 1:30 faster than last year. Got a cold on the Tuesday after it and was out of work till Friday and didnt run till last Monday. Pace in the speed work sessions gone backwards, just these ones.

But usually after I run a race i seem to move on to the next level, but this time I have gone backwards, anyone experience this?

Thanks

If I got sick my training times the following week would suffer without a doubt

IvoryTower wrote: »
    If I got sick my training times the following week would suffer without a doubt

Probably take 2 weeks for it to get back to normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Probably take 2 weeks for it to get back to normal?

Yeah deffo. Depends on how sick you were,eg. a cold could be a week, chest infection a few weeks etc.

I got the dreaded manful followed by a chest infection and was prescribed antibiotics for a week on NYE.
    It took a further 10 days after finishing the prescription before my running felt anywhere near normal and maybe another few weeks to feel like I'm back to where I was before Christmas.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I got the dreaded manful followed by a chest infection and was prescribed antibiotics for a week on NYE.
    It took a further 10 days after finishing the prescription before my running felt anywhere near normal and maybe another few weeks to feel like I'm back to where I was before Christmas.

Seems to be where I am, raced really well, got the cold, no chest infection. Back last week and my speed sessions were an effort and even today my 4x1k were off.

Just need to wait:rolleyes:

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Hill sprints: I'm supposed to be doing them, mainly for form I think (I have very low knee lift and hill sprints should improve that).

I'm not really sure how long or steep the hill should be. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Hill sprints: I'm supposed to be doing them, mainly for form I think (I have very low knee lift and hill sprints should improve that).

I'm not really sure how long or steep the hill should be. Any ideas?

I'm doing 10 seconds, on a steep hill, with 2-3 minutes recovery.

I'm using Bushy Park - the hill from the bandstand to the tennis courts etc. Starting from just below the fork in the path, so the sprint is up the steep part of the hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm doing 10 seconds, on a steep hill, with 2-3 minutes recovery.

I'm using Bushy Park - the hill from the bandstand to the tennis courts etc. Starting from just below the fork in the path, so the sprint is up the steep part of the hill.

Oh that sounds good -- v steep!! The ones I did today were about 15-20 secs, but the hill wasn't as steep. You know the little park on the right hand side of Braemor Road, before you get to all the Landscape roads? There's a hill up out of that, so I went from the river / stream up to the road 8 times, with walk back recoveries. I'll try Bushy Park next time - that hill's a killer! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Oh that sounds good -- v steep!! The ones I did today were about 15-20 secs, but the hill wasn't as steep. You know the little park on the right hand side of Braemor Road, before you get to all the Landscape roads? There's a hill up out of that, so I went from the river / stream up to the road 8 times, with walk back recoveries. I'll try Bushy Park next time - that hill's a killer! Thanks!

I've never run in there - it looks tiny!

I'm doing this as strength training, so the long recoveries are important. Even walking down very slowly, there's another 30-60 seconds waiting around at the bottom of the hill for the next one.

Also, I started with only 6 last week (then 8 this week, next time will be 10)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I've never run in there - it looks tiny!

I'm doing this as strength training, so the long recoveries are important. Even walking down very slowly, there's another 30-60 seconds waiting around at the bottom of the hill for the next one.

Also, I started with only 6 last week (then 8 this week, next time will be 10)

Also form should be the primary focus for these, not speed.
    Body nicely in line and a slightly exaggerated push off.

Advertisement