Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Also form should be the primary focus for these, not speed.
    Body nicely in line and a slightly exaggerated push off.

Thanks! That's what I was trying today -- keeping my head up / core engaged / pumping my arms etc.

Dick Hooper from Raheny told me to do them after I was moaning about my poor performance in XC versus on the roads, so I'm hoping they'll help with both knee lift and strength.

Another question: this week and last I've had to miss our club speed session due to life commitments, so I've done the hill sprints on my own instead. In a normal week that has something fast on a Wednesday (race or session), a hill (as often as I can manage) on a Thursday, parkrun on a Saturday & LSR on a Sunday (and just runs on other days), where would be the best place to slot hill sprints in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RayCun wrote: »
    I've never run in there - it looks tiny!

I'm doing this as strength training, so the long recoveries are important. Even walking down very slowly, there's another 30-60 seconds waiting around at the bottom of the hill for the next one.

Also, I started with only 6 last week (then 8 this week, next time will be 10)

PS It IS tiny. I didn't do my whole run in there -- ran from work to there, did my drills and hills, ran back to work :).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Thanks! That's what I was trying today -- keeping my head up / core engaged / pumping my arms etc.

Dick Hooper from Raheny told me to do them after I was moaning about my poor performance in XC versus on the roads, so I'm hoping they'll help with both knee lift and strength.

Another question: this week and last I've had to miss our club speed session due to life commitments, so I've done the hill sprints on my own instead. In a normal week that has something fast on a Wednesday (race or session), a hill (as often as I can manage) on a Thursday, parkrun on a Saturday & LSR on a Sunday (and just runs on other days), where would be the best place to slot hill sprints in?

Potentially trying to cram to much into 'a week'.
    I would alternate between either the club session or parkrun, you could still do a parkrun @ MP for example, or as a pacer, followed by your hills if there's one close by.
    Or move to a 9-10 day cycle with 1-2 recovery days between sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Do people think Strava Premium is worth it? I used to have it when it was €4.99 a month but cancelled the subscription when they started double charging me (iTunes fault, not Strava) It's now getting close to double that price and I'm not sure it's worth that. Is it as much about paying for the 'free' service as paying for the couple of extra features, with pace and HR breakdown being the main two I feel I would use...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

HelenAnne wrote: »
    In a normal week that has something fast on a Wednesday (race or session), a hill (as often as I can manage) on a Thursday, parkrun on a Saturday & LSR on a Sunday (and just runs on other days), where would be the best place to slot hill sprints in?

Is the Thursday hill a session, or an easy run that incorporates hills?

I would try to do the hill sprints when reasonably fresh, not the day after a session.
    But it isn't a hard session in itself, you should be fine to do a session the day after.
    So maybe Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Anyone else here almost have a 'relationship' with a barking dog? One dog, no matter what time of day, even in the 'early hours' barks at me, even if I can't see him, barks relentlessly at me in the same spot, probably waking locals (I tend to run early morning mostly), I'd miss (presumably) him if he didn't bark at me now :) Anyone else have any experiences with dogs ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I have a few on my routes & notice when their not there.

Give them the obligatory "shut up" going by

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Anyone else here almost have a 'relationship' with a barking dog? One dog, no matter what time of day, even in the 'early hours' barks at me, even if I can't see him, barks relentlessly at me in the same spot, probably waking locals (I tend to run early morning mostly), I'd miss (presumably) him if he didn't bark at me now :) Anyone else have any experiences with dogs ? :)

There is nothing more terrifying than a dog barrelling towards you when out running. I hate it when owners don't keep their dogs on leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I had two lab mixes that would join me for a bit at a farmyard, haven't seen them in a week or two, might be because I've changed my times slightly. One would always get super excited and jump on the other lad much to the disgust of the assaultee.
    Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Give them the obligatory "shut up" going by

Nah, they always get a hiya lads from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RunnerGarf

If I leave my house and turn left the route is fairly flat but I have to go past a house with two Rottweilers who are out loose. One runs out onto the road if he sees you in time, the other just sits and barks. Can always see my pace increase a lot on Strava at that point! Lol
    If I turn right there are a lot more hills and sometimes a friendly Springer Spaniel will come along for the run, usually follows me the whole way home and I end up taking him back in the car. He lives about a mile away!
    I'd love to run the flatter route more but the dogs definitely put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I have the same thing only with sheep. Every time I run in Ravensdale forest, I run straight into a herd of sheep who mostly run away but there are a few rams with horns that always look like they might run at me at any moment. Thankfully that hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Anyone elses nose run like they wish they could? I've found myself sniffing every couple of seconds the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Does walking help much with running ? I walk at least as much as I run. Does it contribute anything to the 'weekly mileage' ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not necessarily, but I walk a good bit with my son in a baby carrier and I have noticed minor leg strength improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Does walking help much with running ? I walk at least as much as I run. Does it contribute anything to the 'weekly mileage' ? :)
    It's better than doing nothing, but no, not really. It's good for recovery. Running is goof for running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

It's better than doing nothing, but no, not really. It's good for recovery. Running is goof for running.

There's deffo something goofy about running.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I think it depends. If you can get your heart rate up then there could be some training effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I think it depends.  If you can get your heart rate up then there could be some training effect.
    The only real benefit, other than recuperation maybe, that I can see is if you're a beginner and you mix walking and running. Then say 6k of walking/running would beat just 3k of running. I'm guessing.

Walking is good for losing weight, as well as recovery. Not at all comparable to running in any way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

At what point in a training plan (in terms of miles) do people incorporate energy gels into their runs? What mileage should I be covering before I start taking them ? Or do people take them at all during training runs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    At what point in a training plan (in terms of miles) do people incorporate energy gels into their runs? What mileage should I be covering before I start taking them ? Or do people take them at all during training runs?

I've only ever taken them on or two training runs to make sure that they're tolerable enough to take during races. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with them. Though my longest training run has been 21k, so maybe when you get into 25k+ range they'll be more beneficial. I think if you eat well enough generally and then in the morning of your run, you shouldn't really need one.

Open to correction on this though, I admit to not knowing a whole lot about running & nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

Never ever. No need, and you'll be training yourself to have a dependency on them.

I took them most weeks when training for my first marathon, probably when I started running over about 12 miles/2 hours.

Second marathon I think I took them on a couple of runs as testers.

3rd and 4th... I'm not sure, maybe on one run to make sure I could still stomach them?

If you haven't used them before, you should definitely try them out before your marathon, find a variety that you can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

When I was starting out I used to take a gel on 18+ mile runs but stopped that years ago. You're much better off teaching your body to use its own fuel rather than adding some sugary junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I don't train with gels but found they work great after 20 miles or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

For those not using gels what do you use?

deisedude wrote: »
    For those not using gels what do you use?

on training runs?
    nothing

on training runs?
    nothing

The general idea being that 'running on empty' teaches the body to handle long runs better without additional carbs. That way you can run longer and harder come marathon day before you need to take gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

on training runs?
    nothing

For both training run and marathon I guess. I haven't run further than a half marathon yet so was just curious.

I've a sensitive stomach at the best of time and hear they can be tough on your stomach

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    For both training run and marathon I guess. I haven't run further than a half marathon yet so was just curious.

I've a sensitive stomach at the best of time and hear they can be tough on your stomach

I take them in a marathon. In the marathon I'm not concerned about future adaptions, and I'm running harder than in any training run, so I want that sugar/caffeine boost. It's not like I run marathons very often.

But yes, they can be hard on your stomach, so you should try a couple in training and find some that work for you before taking them in a race.

Advertisement