Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No matter where you put it it will be an inconvenience for large swathes of people. But it's no more poorly serviced by buses than anywhere else that's not in Dublin city centre. Trying to get cross city on public transport from any side of Dublin is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

ThisRegard wrote: »
    No matter where you put it it will be an inconvenience for large swathes of people. But it's no more poorly serviced by buses than anywhere else that's not in Dublin city centre. Trying to get cross city on public transport from any side of Dublin is ridiculous.

Yeh we don't do connections well. But locate it close to existing rail and once DART Underground is built in the future (big if of course) then you open up easy access to a great facility. The equivalent facility in Melbourne is right beside 2 tram lines and was easy to get to for the non car driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Either the Luas extension, or proposed underground, was actually originally planned to service just up the road of the campus, I remember seeing the plans at the time after the NAC had opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Either the Luas extension, or proposed underground, was actually originally planned to service just up the road of the campus, I remember seeing the plans at the time after the NAC had opened.

Yeh Metro West, which has since been scrapped and was never going to be prioritised over Metro North to the airport and Swords, and even that still won't get the go ahead off the short sighted government.

http://www.ferronoticias.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/2011-08-07Metro_West_alignment_1108_large.jpg

Far easier to build beside existing infrastructure rather than beside make-believe stuff which will never be built let's be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

RRQ.

Would you take legal amounts of L-Carnitine to improve your times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Itziger wrote: »
    RRQ.

No, but as long as it is fully legal according to WADA I don't see anything wrong if someone else takes it in a legal way either.

No, but as long as it is fully legal according to WADA I don't see anything wrong if someone else takes it in a legal way either.

No, me neither. I'm not talking about elites here. Just wondering if people here would consider it. Maybe some on here are already on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

RRQ.

Yes but I couldn't be arsed buying it. It's legal, like that I often take vitamin supplements and straight magnesium and iron supplements and I don't see those as any more questionable tbh. Eat a steak and you are taking L-Carnitine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Yeah deffo if I thought it would help and felt it was worth the money/could afford it. I try to take a multivitamin but always forget so id probably do the same with this

My guess is the non elite runner would barely notice any effects if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

IvoryTower wrote: »
    My guess is the non elite runner would barely notice any effects if anything

My guess is that the same applies to elite runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

It would only make a difference if you didn't getbenough fronlm your normal diet. Other than that you'd be paying for something that you'll just piss back out.

jamule wrote: »
    It would only make a difference if you didn't getbenough fronlm your normal diet. Other than that you'd be paying for something that you'll just piss back out.
    But if that's true why was Salazar so excited about it. He even texted a well known Texan cyclist singing its praises.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In championship races where no dedicated lanes are used how is it decided (or is it even decided) who stands where at the start? Like the 1500 or 5000...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

walshb wrote: »
    In championship races where no dedicated lanes are used how is it decided (or is it even decided) who stands where at the start? Like the 1500 or 5000...

It's not because it doesn't make a difference tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 55,649 ✭✭✭✭walshb

El Caballo wrote: »
    It's not because it doesn't make a difference tbh

I was thinking the same, but the fact that there are rules and regulations for everything on sports I was wondering was there one for that. So athletes just place where they want to then...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just wonder what people's thoughts are on doing interval sessions on treadmill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

ariana` wrote: »
    Just wonder what people's thoughts are on doing interval sessions on treadmill?

Paging a Mr. Clown, Krusty...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

I'm in the middle of training for my first marathon in Limerick on the 30th April. First month was great, however last 3 weeks has been really tough. A poor 10k race and half marathon time have severely dented my confidence. My aim initially was sub 4 or very close to it. Now I'm thinking I'll be lucky to finish. Starting running last September so running base is limited. Wondering if I should keep plugging away or pull out and prepare better for an autumn marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tbukela wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of training for my first marathon in Limerick on the 30th April. First month was great, however last 3 weeks has been really tough. A poor 10k race and half marathon time have severely dented my confidence. My aim initially was sub 4 or very close to it. Now I'm thinking I'll be lucky to finish. Starting running last September so running base is limited. Wondering if I should keep plugging away or pull out and prepare better for an autumn marathon.

Have you been following a training plan?

I'll respond here as I always do, just cos it's what I know. What's the rush? You started running a few months ago. Why aim for a marathon straight off? And that really is straight off.

Build it up. Enjoy getting fitter and faster. Take it bit by bit. Try another couple of 10ks and maybe a Half this year. Then you continue running through Autumn and Winter and you'll be stronger, fitter and faster next year once you avoid injuries.

If I were near you in a club environment or whatever, I'd say forget a marathon for 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I started running in April of last year and also aiming for Limerick to be my 1st marathon. What was so poor about your 10k & half marathon?

How has training being going? Honestly I'm finding it tough, there are definitely days and runs where I feel like I am hopeless. How are you feeling physically with the training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

You know how the Macmillan calc isn't really accurate for predicted marathon pace / finish time bsed on 10k / 5k times etc (unless you've done really focused, high-mileage marathon training). How good do you think it would be for a 10-mile guide pace based on 5k / 5 mile race times? (Provided the person in question, i.e. me :) had done a certain amount of 10-mile training.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'll respond here as I always do, just cos it's what I know. What's the rush? You started running a few months ago. Why aim for a marathon straight off? And that really is straight off.

Build it up. Enjoy getting fitter and faster. Take it bit by bit. Try another couple of 10ks and maybe a Half this year. Then you continue running through Autumn and Winter and you'll be stronger, fitter and faster next year once you avoid injuries.

If I were near you in a club environment or whatever, I'd say forget a marathon for 2017.

somehow i doubt this is the reply they want to hear :D

HelenAnne wrote: »
    You know how the Macmillan calc isn't really accurate for predicted marathon pace / finish time bsed on 10k / 5k times etc (unless you've done really focused, high-mileage marathon training). How good do you think it would be for a 10-mile guide pace based on 5k / 5 mile race times? (Provided the person in question, i.e. me :) had done a certain amount of 10-mile training.)

I think the 5 mile to 10 mile prediction is more often in the right ballpark.

You could add 16 seconds to your time for each mile?

Could someone chuck up a fancy table whereby we can work out the difference percentage wise between say 5k and 10k pb times. Or Half to marathon conversion. That could be helpful or useful or just a bit of fun.

I'll give ye the base numbers to start crunching in!!

My 10k time is 2,208 seconds (36.48)
    My Half time is 4924 secs (1.22.04)
    My woeful Marathon time is 11,000 secs (3.03.20) Ok, it's actually 11,008 I think.

Now I know myself the fall off from Half to Full is poor and that the 10k to Half isn't bad but I'd be interested in seeing others' figures. % I stress, so that it's kinda a level playing field. Kinda.

Could someone chuck up a fancy table whereby we can work out the difference percentage wise between say 5k and 10k pb times. Or Half to marathon conversion. That could be helpful or useful or just a bit of fun.

I'll give ye the base numbers to start crunching in!!

My 10k time is 2,208 seconds (36.48)
    My Half time is 4924 secs (1.22.04)
    My woeful Marathon time is 11,000 secs (3.03.20) Ok, it's actually 11,008 I think.

Now I know myself the fall off from Half to Full is poor and that the 10k to Half isn't bad but I'd be interested in seeing others' figures. % I stress, so that it's kinda a level playing field. Kinda.

People once did a hm time / predicted marathon time / actual time table - it's on one of the old marathon threads

RayCun wrote: »
    I think the 5 mile to 10 mile prediction is more often in the right ballpark.

You could add 16 seconds to your time for each mile?

I think that might be a bit ambitious for me. (The 16 secs) I was going to say endurance isn't my forte, but neither is speed so I don't know what is! Macmillan predicts a super speedy 10 mile time for me, so I think instead of aiming for that time and collapsing halfway, I will use it as a confidence-giver and aim to run at my current pb pace. I'll see how that goes!

Thanks!

That is 16 seconds for all miles, not just the extra five. So if your five mile was 35 minutes, your ten would be 72:40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

If we're talking PB's:

Distance Time Time (s) McMillan(5k) McMillan (Half)

5k 19:58 = 1198s
    19:51
    6k 24:54 = 1494s 24:10 24:00
    4 mile 26:07 = 1567s 25:57 25:47
    5 mile 34:29 = 2069s 33:06 32:54
    10k 42:01 = 2521s 41:28 41:12
    10 mile 01:08:53 = 4133s 1:09:18 1:08:52
    Half 01:31:52 = 5512s 1:32:27
    25k 01:50:32 = 6632s 1:51:03 1:50:22
    Marathon 03:21:45 = 12105s 3:14:33 3:13:20

My 5 mile time is old at this stage but everything else is from last year. The 6k is from early on in the year. My 10k could be a good bit faster, and I have a bit of work to do to get my marathon time down. If I put in my half time my marathon time goes down even more. Mind you, most of my training has been marathon based, with a few months following the graduate thread last year. So really my best performances have been in the 10 mile to Half/25k distances with a fall off in times in both the shorter races and the marathon.

• Advertisement

My 5k best is 17:2? And 10k is 36:2?
    Within a month of each other. Neither race I was really happy with (track!) But maybe equally unhappy with each...

Advertisement