Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ariana wrote:
    Just wonder what people's thoughts are on doing interval sessions on treadmill?
    davedanon wrote: »
    Paging a Mr. Clown, Krusty...
    I can't say that I really do interval sessions on a treadmill, as the sessions that I've been doing don't really fall under that category. i.e. your typical interval would be of the form: 12 x 400m @5k pace, with 200m recovery.
    Whereas the type of session I've been doing on the treadmill would be more of the form:
    2 miles @LT / 1.5 miles @10k pace / 1 mile @5k / 4 x 300 @mile pace
    or
    5 x 2 miles @MP with 800m @steady pace

In an interval session like 12x400, the session is highly structured and the amount of recovery (whether it's 200m jog, or 60 seconds), is very well defined. It's very difficult to get that level of granularity in your accuracy on a treadmill, as you need to get it up to pace, down off pace and recover for just the right amount of time. Whereas for long sustained periods of effort, the ramp-up and down isn't as critical. So for example for a recent set of 16x200m @3k->1 Mile pace, I ran them on the cinder track, as you just can't do that kind of accuracy on a treadmill. My own experience is that marathon programs tend to lend themselves a little bit more to the treadmill, whereas highly structured faster shorter distance training (5k, 10k targets) are less suitable.

At the risk of coming across as a bit of a hypocrite (again), if you have viable alternatives to the treadmill, then they should be the priority (e.g. measured accommodating surface, with little interference (weather, traffic)). Most races are run outdoors with wind resistance, so you just can't beat doing your quality sessions outdoors for race preparation. I learned this lesson the hard way in a recent 10 mile race. I felt I was in really good PB shape and banged out the first 4 miles exactly on plan. But while my HR stayed relatively low, I struggled to get air into my lungs, which I think was a result of not doing enough quality work and not getting used to the challenge of oxygen extraction in an environment where the air is moving in different directions. The result was a stitch that slowed me to a little lower than target pace, and contributed towards not hitting my race target.

Other area of concern would be:
    • Yielding surface - the road isn't as soft as a treadmill and you need to prepare yourself for the hardships of a road race, particularly if the intervals are for race simulation.
    • Drinks nutrition - you know those little cup-holders that are permanently at arms reach? Sadly, they're not at arms reach outside.
    • Hills - treadmills don't generally have any. Even the 1%-1.5% that most of us select doesn't represent a realistic undulating surface, and I'd imagine that most people don't bother setting a hilly program when doing intervals on the treadmill.
    • The belt: the direction of travel of the treadmill belt is propelling your foot backwards, aiding the stride function. So while the belt may be travelling at 6 minute mile, not all effort is necessarily equal.
    • Mental strength and focus: I think of the treadmill as a bucking bronco. You hop on, set the pace appropriately, and then just try to ride the bull as long as you can. There's no thinking, no focus. If your mind drifts, you don't fall off the pace as you do on the road. There is hardship, but the decision process to keep going or to stop is largely taken out of your hands (which is both a blessing and a curse).
    So, in summary, if your intervals are of the longer sustained effort variety, if you can be flexible on the recovery times, and you recognize that doing your session on the treadmill is sub-optimal when compared to performing it on the road, then yes, you can derive good benefits from doing your session on a treadmill....

But it's not as good as doing it outside on the road..
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Thanks for the replies. I suppose I should have given a bit more context in my earlier post. As I mentioned I'm running since September did a 10k and a half last year, (54 mins & 2:00 respectively). I decided before Christmas (mainly from reading the logs on here) that I'd try and do a marathon this spring as it suited from a home/ work life point of view.
    I started the asics sub 4:00 plan in January (also joined a club) and have, in the main, stuck to it, covering about 240 miles so far this year.
    However I have started to struggle with the long runs in recent weeks, mentally more than physically. I was disappointed with the two recent races in that I expected to break sub 50 comfortably and missed out by 30 odd seconds and I struggled badly in Kinvara at the weekend coming in a few mins over the 2 hour mark.
    I know now that I had no basis to think based on my running history that I would be able to break 4 hours. What I'm trying to figure out is should i run the marathon to the best of my current ability and try and enjoy it or as suggested take a break and come back to it at a later date with a stronger base and target a specific time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

This is what I use for calculating times and for working out how fast my intervals should be ('fast' pace, HM pace etc...)

http://www.capitalarearunners.com/training/interval.html

Does it seem decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

HelenAnne wrote: »
    You know how the Macmillan calc isn't really accurate for predicted marathon pace / finish time bsed on 10k / 5k times etc (unless you've done really focused, high-mileage marathon training). How good do you think it would be for a 10-mile guide pace based on 5k / 5 mile race times? (Provided the person in question, i.e. me :) had done a certain amount of 10-mile training.)

They're useful as an aid, but races differ so much that you shouldn't be stuck to the predictions. For example, I ran Raheny then Trim on consecutive weeks last month, and my Raheny time predicted a time 74 seconds faster than what I ended up running Trim in. However, in between I got a cold so ran Trim relatively conservatively and I generally am weaker on prediction times as distances increase (I guess my endurance is poor :( ), so I was never intending to run Trim that fast. The nature of the course, standard of folks around you, support and general enthusiasm for the race may all influence your real time too. Unless you have a history of doing better at longer races, I'd go with a little bit slower than what your Raheny time predicts, and run a negative split if you feel like running faster than that on the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RayCun wrote: »
    That is 16 seconds for all miles, not just the extra five. So if your five mile was 35 minutes, your ten would be 72:40

Oh, I know, I still think it's too fast for me though - my 5-mile pace in Raheny was 6.38. There's no way I could run 10 miles at under 7 minute pace. I'm always pleasantly surprised if I ever run a sub-7 mile! I was thinking of aiming for 7.15 pace and seeing how things went.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Singer wrote: »
    They're useful as an aid, but races differ so much that you shouldn't be stuck to the predictions. For example, I ran Raheny then Trim on consecutive weeks last month, and my Raheny time predicted a time 74 seconds faster than what I ended up running Trim in. However, in between I got a cold so ran Trim relatively conservatively and I generally am weaker on prediction times as distances increase (I guess my endurance is poor :( ), so I was never intending to run Trim that fast. The nature of the course, standard of folks around you, support and general enthusiasm for the race may all influence your real time too. Unless you have a history of doing better at longer races, I'd go with a little bit slower than what your Raheny time predicts, and run a negative split if you feel like running faster than that on the day :)

See post above. Am DEFINITELY planning on going slower than predicted time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I can't say that I really do interval sessions on a treadmill, as the sessions that I've been doing don't really fall under that category. i.e. your typical interval would be of the form: 12 x 400m @5k pace, with 200m recovery.
    Whereas the type of session I've been doing on the treadmill would be more of the form:
    2 miles @LT / 1.5 miles @10k pace / 1 mile @5k / 4 x 300 @mile pace
    or
    5 x 2 miles @MP with 800m @steady pace

In an interval session like 12x400, the session is highly structured and the amount of recovery (whether it's 200m jog, or 60 seconds), is very well defined. It's very difficult to get that level of granularity in your accuracy on a treadmill, as you need to get it up to pace, down off pace and recover for just the right amount of time. Whereas for long sustained periods of effort, the ramp-up and down isn't as critical. So for example for a recent set of 16x200m @3k->1 Mile pace, I ran them on the cinder track, as you just can't do that kind of accuracy on a treadmill. My own experience is that marathon programs tend to lend themselves a little bit more to the treadmill, whereas highly structured faster shorter distance training (5k, 10k targets) are less suitable.

At the risk of coming across as a bit of a hypocrite (again), if you have viable alternatives to the treadmill, then they should be the priority (e.g. measured accommodating surface, with little interference (weather, traffic)). Most races are run outdoors with wind resistance, so you just can't beat doing your quality sessions outdoors for race preparation. I learned this lesson the hard way in a recent 10 mile race. I felt I was in really good PB shape and banged out the first 4 miles exactly on plan. But while my HR stayed relatively low, I struggled to get air into my lungs, which I think was a result of not doing enough quality work and not getting used to the challenge of oxygen extraction in an environment where the air is moving in different directions. The result was a stitch that slowed me to a little lower than target pace, and contributed towards not hitting my race target.

Other area of concern would be:
    • Yielding surface - the road isn't as soft as a treadmill and you need to prepare yourself for the hardships of a road race, particularly if the intervals are for race simulation.
    • Drinks nutrition - you know those little cup-holders that are permanently at arms reach? Sadly, they're not at arms reach outside.
    • Hills - treadmills don't generally have any. Even the 1%-1.5% that most of us select doesn't represent a realistic undulating surface, and I'd imagine that most people don't bother setting a hilly program when doing intervals on the treadmill.
    • The belt: the direction of travel of the treadmill belt is propelling your foot backwards, aiding the stride function. So while the belt may be travelling at 6 minute mile, not all effort is necessarily equal.
    • Mental strength and focus: I think of the treadmill as a bucking bronco. You hop on, set the pace appropriately, and then just try to ride the bull as long as you can. There's no thinking, no focus. If your mind drifts, you don't fall off the pace as you do on the road. There is hardship, but the decision process to keep going or to stop is largely taken out of your hands (which is both a blessing and a curse).
    So, in summary, if your intervals are of the longer sustained effort variety, if you can be flexible on the recovery times, and you recognize that doing your session on the treadmill is sub-optimal when compared to performing it on the road, then yes, you can derive good benefits from doing your session on a treadmill....

But it's not as good as doing it outside on the road..
    :)

Thanks. Exactly the type of reply i was looking for. And yes i'm talking about the 10 x 400m @ 5k pace type sessions so taking all your considered opinions on board i'll be making every effort to reorganise my life and do them outdoors, on a track preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ariana` wrote: »
    i'll be making every effort to reorganise my life and do them outdoors, on a track preferably.
    Yeah, that's the hard part. Life gets in the way. And that's why I find myself hitting the treadmill for sessions that I know I should be doing outside. The bottom line is getting it done on a treadmill is much better than not doing it at all, or compromising in some other way. Even if you don't tick off all the benefit from doing it on the road, you're still getting significant training stimulus. For most of us, it's not all about that one race - it's about all of the races, and some improvement is still improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

How does one cope with the physical strain? the intense physical strain of trying to run fast? I've a (mild) hiatus hernia, tummy etc all becomes 'unsettled, not sure how much this contributes'. It's not easy, facing 'discomfort'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Spirogyra wrote: »
    How does one cope with the physical strain? the intense physical strain of trying to run fast? I've a (mild) hiatus hernia, tummy etc all becomes 'unsettled, not sure how much this contributes'. It's not easy, facing 'discomfort'.

There's no magic to it.

You can only run as hard as your mind and body can tolerate, but with regular consistent training you do build up some considerable resistance to discomfort over time (disclaimer: fast running isn't my thing).

A hernia won't help, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Do you eat to run, or run to eat? I mean I try to be healthy a lot of the time, but also use my weekly mileage to justify that takeaway pizza. Or 3 in one. Or half a packet of biscuits. And my super snack - koka noodles - but after 2 minutes in the microwave, I crack an egg on top and give it two more minutes. Protein and carbs - what can go wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm trying to eat healthy to run better. It's the hardest part of my training!

I love the 'hunger' I feel after a run, food is so much more enjoyable :) so I run to eat :) (although my diet in the past wasn't good and I was still overweight, have had to improve 'the quality' of what I eat, cook more myself now)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I had a pretty bad hiatus hernia and ran with it without issue and I've had an operation to fix it and still no issue.. I know everyone is different but my hernia never bothered me running, are you sure thats the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I love the 'hunger' I feel after a run, food is so much more enjoyable :) so I run to eat :) (although my diet in the past wasn't good and I was still overweight, have had to improve 'the quality' of what I eat, cook more myself now)

I call it runger. If I don't feed the runger I end up hangry.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

10 miles = Donkey Fordes square of cod and chips and a sneaky batter sausage....

Replace Donkey Fordes with the name of your local greasehouse equivalent of the grocers in the pub and you know what I'm on about... Thankfully I don't hit double figures too often!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I have been diagnosed this week with double inguinal hernias and one of my main symptoms was the bad strain/ache on faster runs.
    Much less discomfort on slower stuff but still there and radiating pain down to the tops of the thighs. Doc says keep running alright unless pain gets too intense but keep it slow and stop if too much pain as could be hernia strangulating. searching online it seems everyone is different with these ranging from unable to do anything to running marathons.
    One thing for sure is that after surgery won't be able to run for a few weeks at best apparently.

How would I best decide on a target time for a half-marathon ? Last time out, last year I was 1'53'20,but feel I'm stronger now than then. I did 22 minutes for a 5K and 45'40 for a 10 K in the past few weeks. So what would be a challenging but realistic target? 1'45 ? would 1'40 be possible ?. Danger is pushing too hard too early and being 'spent' later, has happened in shorter runs quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

How would I best decide on a target time for a half-marathon ? Last time out, last year I was 1'53'20,but feel I'm stronger now than then. I did 22 minutes for a 5K and 45'40 for a 10 K in the past few weeks. So what would be a challenging but realistic target? 1'45 ? would 1'40 be possible ?. Danger is pushing too hard too early and being 'spent' later, has happened in shorter runs quite a bit.

Both the 5k and the 10k time would indicate a half marathon time of just under 1:42.

I'm running a lot less than I did last year - approx 25k per week at the moment and over the last month or so I've developed fairly uncomfortable foot pain, kinda like muscle ache.. Same shoes, same routes.. Any ideas?

I'm massaging them on a golf ball daily at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Might be time to replace your shoes?

tailgunner wrote: »
    Might be time to replace your shoes?

sorry - should have said - I've 3 pairs of the same shoes and I rotate.. 400km on 1 pair and about 200 on the other two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

jameshayes wrote: »
    I'm running a lot less than I did last year - approx 25k per week at the moment and over the last month or so I've developed fairly uncomfortable foot pain, kinda like muscle ache.. Same shoes, same routes.. Any ideas?

I'm massaging them on a golf ball daily at the moment

Oh your fcuked, will have to give the running up completely I'd say!!! Go see a good physio who will sort your issue for you.

tang1 wrote: »
    Oh your fcuked, will have to give the running up completely I'd say!!! Go see a good physio who will sort your issue for you.

Tried it.. he said roll on the golf ball and it should go away

Tried it.. he said roll on the golf ball and it should go away

It's sounds like you have PF, which is no quick fix having suffered with it myself. Persevere with the golf ball & there should be improvement if it is PF.

tang1 wrote: »
    It's sounds like you have PF, which is no quick fix having suffered with it myself. Persevere with the golf ball & there should be improvement if it is PF.

He ruled it out quite quickly, the pain isn't near my heel its more the arch of my foot to my toes, like an over worked muscle type pain

He ruled it out quite quickly, the pain isn't near my heel its more the arch of my foot to my toes, like an over worked muscle type pain

I'm no physio but PF can affect the whole of your foot from the heel to your toes. When I had it it centred around the arches of my feet towards my toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Why do boxers always run with their hoods up:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Ososlo wrote: »
    Why do boxers always run with their hoods up:confused:

Cutting weight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

juke wrote: »
    Cutting weight?

Ah! Interesting! That makes sense alright. Even in summer on a warm day, I see them in my local park in baggy jogging pants with hoodies.

Advertisement