Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Great discussion, I've learned a lot, thank you all.

When doing a session do you guys stick to one particular mode for the entire session or is it good to mix it up?

I have a really good 5k route from my house, the first 1k is a nice hill then flat to a steep 200m hill at the halfway point.

This morning I ran a tempo run to the halfway point then did three hill sprint intervals, then ran easy zone 2 back.

Is this a good session? Should I be running tempo back, or should I only include the intervals with an easy pace either side of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Lazare wrote: »
    When doing a session do you guys stick to one particular mode for the entire session or is it good to mix it up?

I have a really good 5k route from my house, the first 1k is a nice hill then flat to a steep 200m hill at the halfway point.

This morning I ran a tempo run to the halfway point then did three hill sprint intervals, then ran easy zone 2 back.

Is this a good session? Should I be running tempo back, or should I only include the intervals with an easy pace either side of it?

You can mix up a session with different types of running, sure. I'm not sure about that session because
    - is ten minutes long enough for an effective tempo run?
    - are you getting the most out of the hill sprints if your legs aren't fresh? are you taking recoveries after each one?

RayCun wrote: »
    You can mix up a session with different types of running, sure. I'm not sure about that session because
    - is ten minutes long enough for an effective tempo run?
    - are you getting the most out of the hill sprints if your legs aren't fresh? are you taking recoveries after each one?

Ok, so I should maybe run easy when including the hill sprints then, and run a longer tempo in a different session? Makes sense.

Yep, taking a 2 min rest at the top then really light jog back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

RayCun wrote: »
    are you in Dublin city? I know a few people who run regularly at lunchtime

Based in Limerick. I know a few guys who run at lunch too but they're at another level altogether. Sub 37min 10k runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi everyone, was wondering how much time new shoes need to break in before the race? I have Nike Vomero 11 with 267km on them and was thinking to get something new for my first half marathon​ in Limerick. I would be able to put 3 runs in them before the race. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

kave2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, was wondering how much time new shoes need to break in before the race? I have Nike Vomero 11 with 267km on them and was thinking to get something new for my first half marathon​ in Limerick. I would be able to put 3 runs in them before the race. Thanks a lot.

If you're buying another pair of the same runners you should be fine just doing a few runs in them before that marathon just in case there is an issue, although ur own pair should be okay - have they lost their cushioning/support? I normally have 3 -4 pairs on the go and alternate for each run (newest pair for long runs/races and older pairs for mid week runs) as runners also need to "rest" between runs. Go ahead and get the new pair but keep the old ones for shorter unsure until they go past 700/800km or until they lose their sprinklers.

If you're buying another pair of the same runners you should be fine just doing a few runs in them before that marathon just in case there is an issue, although ur own pair should be okay - have they lost their cushioning/support? I normally have 3 -4 pairs on the go and alternate for each run (newest pair for long runs/races and older pairs for mid week runs) as runners also need to "rest" between runs. Go ahead and get the new pair but keep the old ones for shorter unsure until they go past 700/800km or until they lose their sprinklers.

I know that my current ones are still fine, just it would be nice have new pair for my first half marathon :-)

They wouldn't be exactly same, same brand though. Was thinking to get Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit 2. Current one's are Nike Vomero 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I know that my current ones are still fine, just it would be nice have new pair for my first half marathon :-)

They wouldn't be exactly same, same brand though. Was thinking to get Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit 2. Current one's are Nike Vomero 11.

Personally I wouldn't risk new runners, if you go to a reputable sports shop (like amphibian king) they will do a gait analysis and fit you with the correct shoe but keep the current ones for the race.
    Best of luck with the race and enjoy it it's ways some buzz crossing ur first long distance finish line.

Personally I wouldn't risk new runners, if you go to a reputable sports shop (like amphibian king) they will do a gait analysis and fit you with the correct shoe but keep the current ones for the race.
    Best of luck with the race and enjoy it it's ways some buzz crossing ur first long distance finish line.

I'm based in Galway, got the gait analysis done in Elverys. Neutral gait.
    You probably right, i won't risk it.
    Thanks a lot, can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I'm based in Galway, got the gait analysis done in Elverys. Neutral gait.
    You probably right, i won't risk it.
    Thanks a lot, can't wait.

Best of luck in your 1st half, you are right not to risk it with the new shoes. Go with what you have & enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

How much would the same model of shoe change between seasons? I originally had Autumn/Winter 2015 version of Asics GT 1000 and they were great, I've about 1000k in them and I would still use them for the odd short run. I recently saw the Autumn/Winter 2016 of the same shoe for cheap enough online, so I bought them. But now, I have about 200k in them and they've never felt quite right, and then during today's run the soles of my feet were a bit sore (which is new), and my calves weren't great either, and I'm convinced it's the shoe. Would there have been that much of a difference between seasonal models?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

How much would the same model of shoe change between seasons? I originally had Autumn/Winter 2015 version of Asics GT 1000 and they were great, I've about 1000k in them and I would still use them for the odd short run. I recently saw the Autumn/Winter 2016 of the same shoe for cheap enough online, so I bought them. But now, I have about 200k in them and they've never felt quite right, and then during today's run the soles of my feet were a bit sore (which is new), and my calves weren't great either, and I'm convinced it's the shoe. Would there have been that much of a difference between seasonal models?

I had a problem with a newer version of Mizuno Wave Riders a couple of years ago causing some foot niggles.

The physio was sure the shoes would be the explanation for the new niggle, and when I went to the running shop to search for a replacement, one of he assistants explained the midfoot had been made less flexible in the updated model.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Impossible to say, I always research beforehand, sometimes it's just a colour change or something very minimal, but other times it can be a complete overhaul.

Soul Review is a good site <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I had a problem with a newer version of Mizuno Wave Riders a couple of years ago causing some foot niggles.

The physio was sure the shoes would be the explanation for the new niggle, and when I went to the running shop to search for a replacement, one of he assistants explained the midfoot had been made less flexible in the updated model.
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Impossible to say, I always research beforehand, sometimes it's just a colour change or something very minimal, but other times it can be a complete overhaul.

Soul Review is a good site: https://www.solereview.com/asics-gt-2000-5-review/

Cheers. Just having a quick look at that website and it seems there were a few slight changes to the shoe in 2016. I should've had a look at some more reviews first, but I presumed the shoes would be very similar. At least I'll know to use that website next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Hi all,

Best preparation breakfast food before early parkrun?

Sometimes I suffer from a burning sensation at the back of my mouth/heaving to get sick when I really push myself in the last 500m or so.

I'm putting it down to bread/coffee before parkrun but any advice welcome.

Would appreciate any tips. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

I run Parkruns on empty. Just a glass of water before hand (or tea if you need that to get things moving.. if you know what I mean).

I have been following up Parkrun with a protien shake - completely unnecessary but it tastes sooo good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

positron wrote: »
    I run Parkruns on empty. Just a glass of water before hand (or tea if you need that to get things moving.. if you know what I mean).

I have been following up Parkrun with a protien shake - completely unnecessary but it tastes sooo good! :D

Do you have the recipe? I am trying to increase my protein intake after a run. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Sorry nothing exotic here, just a scoop of MyProtien whey protien (choc mint is great, vanilla is nice too - both fairly sweet) with milk. I always blend it well in a proper blender, not so nice otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Sorry nothing exotic here, just a scoop of MyProtien whey protien (choc mint is great, vanilla is nice too - both fairly sweet) with milk. I always blend it well in a proper blender, not so nice otherwise.

Sounds lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

yeah i drink the same one, it's like a mint aero, definitely the nicest one ive had to date that didnt involve mixing my own ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sometimes I suffer from a burning sensation at the back of my mouth/heaving to get sick when I really push myself in the last 500m or so.

I run it empty unless I'm up at 6am....If I'm up early i'd have a couple of weetabix and a few glasses of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'd just have a small banana and some water before heading out the door. You could do it on empty and see how you get on. If you feel lightheaded then next week try something small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I'm looking for a bit of reality check regarding a planned workout.

The session is off the "meno" plan - 10 miles alternating between MP+3% and MP-3% (with 2 warm up and cool down)

I have half a notion to change it about a bit. This Strava Segment is one of the new climbs in the Cork City Marathon and the 21 mile marker comes right in the middle of it. Strava has it as 0.7 mile long, with 77ft elevation gain.

Farranlea Road climb

I'm half thinking of just doing 10 miles worth of up and down this at marathon pace (or a close as possible to it) - the up bit being a subsititute for MP-3%, and the down bit being a substitute for MP+3%. 10 miles worth is about 7 reps.

Is this a bad idea? Am I totally missing the point of the session?

My thinking is that I'm unfamiliar with this stretch of road an I could do with the practice, and doing it this way approximates the scheduled session and also get in some good course practice.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I'm looking for a bit of reality check regarding a planned workout.

The session is off the "meno" plan - 10 miles alternating between MP+3% and MP-3% (with 2 warm up and cool down)

I have half a notion to change it about a bit. This Strava Segment is one of the new climbs in the Cork City Marathon and the 21 mile marker comes right in the middle of it. Strava has it as 0.7 mile long, with 77ft elevation gain.

Farranlea Road climb

I'm half thinking of just doing 10 miles worth of up and down this at marathon pace (or a close as possible to it) - the up bit being a subsititute for MP-3%, and the down bit being a substitute for MP+3%. 10 miles worth is about 7 reps.

Is this a bad idea? Am I totally missing the point of the session?

My thinking is that I'm unfamiliar with this stretch of road an I could do with the practice, and doing it this way approximates the scheduled session and also get in some good course practice.

Thanks in advance.

...don't know if you're missing the point but it sounds like you're planning a different session... aka not following the plan :)

I remember this being a good session on the meno plan, but not sure what the original rationale for it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

annapr wrote: »
    ...don't know if you're missing the point but it sounds like you're planning a different session... aka not following the plan :)

I remember this being a good session on the meno plan, but not sure what the original rationale for it was.

Rule 1 -Stick to the plan!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone on here know anything about (or anyone in) Marathon Club Ireland?

Was out walking around UL yesterday along with loads of other people, kids on bikes, prams, dogs etc and noticed a steady trickle of wrecked looking runners with numbers on doing laps of the campus

Eventually copped on that they were part of Marathon Club Ireland and that there was an actual marathon on.

It looked pretty grim as a spectacle tbh....zero support, drinks stations etc.

Is it just basically a fast-track to racking up a load of marathons? Deffo would not appeal to me at all but each to their own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is it just basically a fast-track to racking up a load of marathons? Deffo would not appeal to me at all but each to their own I guess.

Pretty much. Do 50 marathons a year, all at 5.5 to 7.5 hours. Call yourself an elite athlete, bask in the likes and kudos on strava and social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

davedanon wrote: »
    Pretty much. Do 50 marathons a year, all at 5.5 to 7.5 hours. Call yourself an elite athlete, bask in the likes and kudos on strava and social media.

I would say 90% of the participants I saw were walking

Also, seemed to be mainly blokes aged 45+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I would say 90% of the participants I saw were walking

Also, seemed to be mainly blokes aged 45+

It's harmless in fairness.

Each to their own.

Advertisement