Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

kave2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, looking for advice. Completed my first half marathon in Limerick 2 weeks ago. I plan to do half marathons only this year and maybe next year full. My question is when I do my long run, what distance should I be doing? Should I stick with half marathon distance? How often? Is it ok to do half every week as my long run? Thanks.
    First off congrats on that Limerick Half.
    As too what you should be doing...that is up to you and how you feel and you goal.
    I know people who have ran 100+ marathons in a year (actually one guy did 100 marathons in 100 days for charity)...my own was 39 in 2016....
    But if you are happy with the halfs then stick with them only ease of if you aren't enjoying them or injured.
    But if you are looking for a faster time the ease off a bit and mix the training and events up with some faster 5kms - 10km runs.
    But if you are out for fun and meeting folk, then run as often as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Hi everyone, looking for advice. Completed my first half marathon in Limerick 2 weeks ago. I plan to do half marathons only this year and maybe next year full. My question is when I do my long run, what distance should I be doing? Should I stick with half marathon distance? How often? Is it ok to do half every week as my long run? Thanks.

Not an expert but I would say it depends on what your goals are ? Are you doing other ' half's' this year ? 5 or 10k's? would you like to do them a bit faster?.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Jfrost wrote: »
    First off congrats on that Limerick Half.
    As too what you should be doing...that is up to you and how you feel and you goal.
    I know people who have ran 100+ marathons in a year (actually one guy did 100 marathons in 100 days for charity)...my own was 39 in 2016....
    But if you are happy with the halfs then stick with them only ease of if you aren't enjoying them or injured.
    But if you are looking for a faster time the ease off a bit and mix the training and events up with some faster 5kms - 10km runs.
    But if you are out for fun and meeting folk, then run as often as you can.
    Spirogyra wrote: »
    Not an expert but I would say it depends on what your goals are ? Are you doing other ' half's' this year ? 5 or 10k's? would you like to do them a bit faster?.

Thanks a lot. I have another half marathon coming on 10th of June in Portumna. I want to do as many half's as possible this year and try to do full one next year. My goal for this year is to improve my half's time.

My usual weekly schedule would be: one very fast 5k, one or 2 mid distance(10-12km) and one long run.
    I was thinking to do one interval session per week too, let's say 8km distance and do 1km flat out, 1km very slow.

So then the new weekly schedule would be:
    1. Very fast 5k
    2. Interval session 8km
    3. Mid distance 10-12km
    4. Long run 21.1km

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Billy Reid wrote: »
    Just completed another 10km race and I happy with time 50 ish

Any suggestions on a weekly training program for a busy work and family person.

Well done on the 10k.

There's no special training program for people who are busy, sure we're all busy! Most people on this forum have jobs and families to look after. It is hard committing to training and finding the time for it and there are no short-cuts. For sure, it is easier for some than it is for others (I don't have shift work and work in a sedentary office job), but for most it's usually do-able to find enough time to follow a good training program and improve.

I've had some success by squeezing runs in where I can - in the past couple of weeks I've run to/from work numerous times, run at lunchtime during work, run in between dropping a kid off to speech and drama lessons, gotten up well before everybody else in the house to get a few miles in before work, got out after 9PM when the kids are in bed and the wife has a glass of wine, letting the rest of the family head off to enjoy a fry in the grandparents while I get a run in, and I've scheduled a rest day to accommodate all of us going to a school play - all in the name of reducing the impact on family life of my running. I'm fully aware that not everybody has the same opportunities, but a lot of the time where there's a will there's a way. It's worth trying out different ways of squeezing runs in here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Reid

Singer wrote: »
    Well done on the 10k.

There's no special training program for people who are busy, sure we're all busy! Most people on this forum have jobs and families to look after. It is hard committing to training and finding the time for it and there are no short-cuts. For sure, it is easier for some than it is for others (I don't have shift work and work in a sedentary office job), but for most it's usually do-able to find enough time to follow a good training program and improve.

I've had some success by squeezing runs in where I can - in the past couple of weeks I've run to/from work numerous times, run at lunchtime during work, run in between dropping a kid off to speech and drama lessons, gotten up well before everybody else in the house to get a few miles in before work, got out after 9PM when the kids are in bed and the wife has a glass of wine, letting the rest of the family head off to enjoy a fry in the grandparents while I get a run in, and I've scheduled a rest day to accommodate all of us going to a school play - all in the name of reducing the impact on family life of my running. I'm fully aware that not everybody has the same opportunities, but a lot of the time where there's a will there's a way. It's worth trying out different ways of squeezing runs in here and there.

I hear you loud and clear! Make time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Thanks a lot. I have another half marathon coming on 10th of June in Portumna. I want to do as many half's as possible this year and try to do full one next year. My goal for this year is to improve my half's time.

My usual weekly schedule would be: one very fast 5k, one or 2 mid distance(10-12km) and one long run.
    I was thinking to do one interval session per week too, let's say 8km distance and do 1km flat out, 1km very slow.

So then the new weekly schedule would be:
    1. Very fast 5k
    2. Interval session 8km
    3. Mid distance 10-12km
    4. Long run 21.1km

Any thoughts?

Too much 'fast' stuff if you ask me. A Half is an aerobic run all the way. One 'faster than Half goal pace' session would be enough. I like the idea of Easy w/u (D'Ohh) 10 mins @ Threshold+3x1k@10k pace w 2 mins rec +10 mins @ Thresh + c/d. I wouldn't be jumping into that straight away though. Build up to it and get a good base. When you're progressing you could up the 10 mins to 15 and max out the 10k pace stuff at 4 reps. That's a decent session right there! Another idea might be to run some Half pace stuff in your LRs, say every second one. I'd do an Easy 22/24k run one week and the following maybe an hour easy + 30 mins @ Half pace. Again, build up to both of those. Max of that type of run 1hr Easy+ 40 mins @ Half pace.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

One last thing Kave, I wouldn't be doing too many Halfs. They're not THAT easy. After the June one you might try your hand at a 10k or even 5k race to see how you've come on. Then target an Autumn Half.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sort of a running question - anyone else annoyed by Leo Varadkar and his 'entourage' hogging the front row of the Streets of Dublin race today, then going on to run a 26 min time? :rolleyes:

18580749_119386985305028_4142216053973319680_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Varadkar is a grade A prick at the best of times, I can't say I'm surprised that he pulls stupid crap like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

He may have been persuaded to lead out by the photographers. And personally I'm finding the prospect of the country being led by the gay son of an immigrant quite intoxicating. How we have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

davedanon wrote: »
    He may have been persuaded to lead out by the photographers. And personally I'm finding the prospect of the country being led by the gay son of an immigrant quite intoxicating. How we have changed.

I couldn't care less who he loves or where his dad's from, he should have started further back in a place that suited his finishing time. This is a republic, and we're all equal citizens (in theory anyway).

Oh give over, for ****s's sake.

At least he looks a bit fit, not like the Drogheda whales who usually inhabit the start lines, or the boot camp leaders who always try to get photographed on the start line with the elites to boost their sales potential.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The people who are stuck behind don't look to be that held up by him and he seems able for enough of a sprint to get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I don't know about that. On the news last night it looked more like they had asked a few people to do a mock start for the cameras, and then reset everybody for the real start. Maybe someone that was there could confirm!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Gay son of an immigrant? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Not everybody has changed at the same pace apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sort of a running question - anyone else annoyed by Leo Varadkar and his 'entourage' hogging the front row of the Streets of Dublin race today, then going on to run a 26 min time? :rolleyes:

18580749_119386985305028_4142216053973319680_n.jpg

As if his policies weren't bad enough - has he attached his number to a tribelt?!?:mad::eek::mad::eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm finding the prospect of the country being led by the gay son of an immigrant quite intoxicating.

:rolleyes:

Not sure if you're being sarky, or if you really didn't know this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

(not that I'd be on the front of the pack either) but it wasn't him that annoyed me.. it was the photographers who didn't clear the track by the time the runners caught up to them.. seen a few near collisions in the news clip

jameshayes wrote: »
    (not that I'd be on the front of the pack either) but it wasn't him that annoyed me.. it was the photographers who didn't clear the track by the time the runners caught up to them.. seen a few near collisions in the news clip

Yeah. Damn photographers. Can't stand them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

As an immigrant father to half-Irish kids, I am happy to hear that Leo Varadkar is even being considered for a prominent position in this country.

And he can do 5k in 26 minutes too? Fair play to the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

positron wrote: »
    As an immigrant father to half-Irish kids, I am happy to hear that Leo Varadkar is even being considered for a prominent position in this country.

I couldn't care less if he was pink with yellow polka dots and came from the moon, his policies are going to hurt people up and down the country.

I'd like to see a politician's race. I reckon Richard Bruton would wipe the floor with Leo, over any distance.

I couldn't care less if he was pink with yellow polka dots and came from the moon, his policies are going to hurt people up and down the country.

How's that, then? What are his specific policies that are going to do this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I don't know about that. On the news last night it looked more like they had asked a few people to do a mock start for the cameras, and then reset everybody for the real start. Maybe someone that was there could confirm!
    Knew something looked wrong about the other runners beside him. None of them looks like they are in a particular hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Oh give over, for ****s's sake.

My thoughts exactly on your posts on the matter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Like most in FG, he despises the "underclass".

Wanting people to rat out their neighbours while politicians fill their boots with disgusting pensions and unvouched expenses.

Leave people to die on hospital trolleys while fighting to get Apple back 13bn Euro.

Intoxicating indeed. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Seems like I stumbled into the politics forum.

Advertisement