Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Gay son of an immigrant? Really?

Better than being called a grade A prick.
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Like most in FG, he despises the "underclass".

Wanting people to rat out their neighbours while politicians fill their boots with disgusting pensions and unvouched expenses.
    :rolleyes:
    Seems like I stumbled into the politics forum.

The nonsense posted here wouldn't be allowed in the politics forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Another great thread getting swamped with sh*te

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

davedanon wrote: »
    Not sure if you're being sarky, or if you really didn't know this...

I was well aware that he was gay and the son of an immigrant, yes.

I think it's time to move the political chat out of the random running questions thread now please folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I was well aware that he was gay and the son of an immigrant, yes.

I think it's time to move the political chat out of the random running questions thread now please folks.

Well, seeing as this entire place is dull as stale dogsh*t these days, who gives a gibbering crap about the rules? This place will be comatose in months given current levels of activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

I'd like bring this forum back to the opening post.

Question.

As an Amatuer runner, what should I be aiming to do better?

Speed or Distance?

Should I be trying to beat my PB 10k or should I be trying to run 15k next run?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'd like bring this forum back to the opening post.

Question.

As an Amatuer runner, what should I be aiming to do better?

Speed or Distance?

Should I be trying to beat my PB 10k or should I be trying to run 15k next run?

Thanks.

From one amateur to another - distance brings with it speed.. if you do long slow runs once a week then your short distance times will improve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

faster faster faster

But its a personal choice really, some people think the further they run the better, from an athletics point of view...FASTER!

jameshayes wrote:
    From one amateur to another - distance brings with it speed.. if you do long slow runs once a week then your short distance times will improve

How long are your long runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

is the question with regards racing or training?

HigginsJ wrote:
    I think we all want to get "faster" but actual speed work is not really important until you are probably a bit near the sharper end of things. Doing a 26 minute 5k means speed is not a huge issue.

IvoryTower wrote:
    is the question with regards racing or training?

Just training, I actually have only ran 1 race.

It was the 5k colour run and It was a couple of years ago so it's irrelevant now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What gives you most pleasure - going long or going fast? Once you can run 10k without stopping, the choice is yours - that's enough robustness to parlay up to marathon distance with sensible training over time. Or you could decide to target sprint and/or middle distances, training specifically to get faster. It's completely up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Murph_D wrote: »
    What gives you most pleasure - going long or going fast?

ooh-matron-with-text.gif

Murph_D wrote:
    What gives you most pleasure - going long or going fast? Once you can run 10k without stopping, the choice is yours - that's enough robustness to parlay up to marathon distance with sensible training over time. Or you could decide to target sprint and/or middle distances, training specifically to get faster. It's completely up to you.

Definitely longer distances makes me happy, I mean if I break my Speed PB I'll be happy for a few mins, but if I break my distance as I have done before I'll never forget it.

Still talking to myself about that 12.5k I ran.

Still talking to myself about that 12.5k I ran.

I suppose I just answered my question.

Eureka

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Just training, I actually have only ran 1 race.

It was the 5k colour run and It was a couple of years ago so it's irrelevant now.

Was your 26 min 5k PB from a couple of years ago or are you doing that in training now? If the latter, then you're likely to be faster in a race setting. Are there any parkruns near you? Great way to test your 5k speed every Saturday morning.

Adding intervals even once a week to your training will make a big difference and they're great fun :D

annapr wrote:
    Was your 26 min 5k PB from a couple of years ago or are you doing that in training now? If the latter, then you're likely to be faster in a race setting. Are there any parkruns near you? Great way to test your 5k speed every Saturday morning.

My PB is within the last year.
    I'd love to do Parkruns, but if also love to not work every Saturday when they are on FML

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well, seeing as this entire place is dull as stale dogsh*t these days, who gives a gibbering crap about the rules? This place will be comatose in months given current levels of activity.

Why don't ya post something interesting and we can all discuss it then? :)

Why don't ya post something interesting and we can all discuss it then? :)

I thought I did...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

With ya on that one.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

#bringbackstazza

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    #bringbackstazza

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Anyone have any success in wearing calf sleeves or compression socks to prevent calf cramps on long runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

jameshayes wrote: »
    Anyone have any success in wearing calf sleeves or compression socks to prevent calf cramps on long runs?

No, but I usually wear them after races and find they help. I've found the best thing for cramping is to get electrolytes into you when running - either by putting High 5 zero tabs into my water or (and this my preferred option) taking SaltStick chews at regular intervals. I don't have as much of an issue as I used to with this - perhaps because I usually take High 5 zero during the week too and keep those electrolyte levels topped up. I will take Salt Stick chews during a race though. As ever, try these out in training first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any tips on how to stop getting a stitch or tips how to get through one? Its after happening me around the 5-6 mile mark in a few 10 mile races at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Who?

Who knows

Gavlor wrote: »
    Who knows

Indeed.

Indeed.

A mystery, init...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

deisedude wrote: »
    Any tips on how to stop getting a stitch or tips how to get through one? Its after happening me around the 5-6 mile mark in a few 10 mile races at this stage

Any time I have got a stitch when running it's usually when I'm struggling a bit for air and my breathing has become faster and shallower. Deeper and much slower breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth helps me. Basically stretching out the diaphragm muscle slowly and gently.

deisedude wrote:

I stick my fingers in and massage it, the stitch that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any time I have got a stitch when running it's usually when I'm struggling a bit for air and my breathing has become faster and shallower. Deeper and much slower breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth helps me. Basically stretching out the diaphragm muscle slowly and gently.

That makes sense. The last 2 times have been as I was going up steep hills

Advertisement