Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

jameshayes wrote: »
    Anyone have any success in wearing calf sleeves or compression socks to prevent calf cramps on long runs?

I've been wearing compression socks for years for long runs and marathons and I still haven't figured out if they help or not. Scientific research says they don't help with cramping but my personal rate of cramping went down when I started wearing them. However, that could have been related to other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I wore compression sleeves after Connemarathon and had no issues with pains or cramps in the subsequent days. Also wore them after the first 2 recovery runs. However it was my first marathon so I have no benchmark. Only cost me €14 so I bought them thinking they were worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just wondering how people incorporate parkrun into a longer run? Do you parkrun beginning, middle or end of your long run.
    Looking at my half marathon plan and HH Nov2 has plotted the long runs on a Sat but I'm loathe to forgo my parkrun as I enjoy the social aspect of it. Can you leave much of a gap between finishing parkrun and carrying on for the rest of the run? I usually finish parkrun in about 31-32 mins and chat afterwards while gathering up equipment or sorting tokens. I'm a 15 minute drive (motorway) from parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Just wondering how people incorporate parkrun into a longer run? Do you parkrun beginning, middle or end of your long run.
    Looking at my half marathon plan and HH Nov2 has plotted the long runs on a Sat but I'm loathe to forgo my parkrun as I enjoy the social aspect of it. Can you leave much of a gap between finishing parkrun and carrying on for the rest of the run? I usually finish parkrun in about 31-32 mins and chat afterwards while gathering up equipment or sorting tokens. I'm a 15 minute drive (motorway) from parkrun.

I have use the parkrun as the last 5k of my long runs - however, be careful and don't do what i did the first time I did it. Let me explain....

I was doing a 30k ish run and decided to do Malahide parkrun as the last 5 k. Arrived just as it was starting so joined onto the end and proceeded to make my way up the field a little. The problem was that I was wearing a full fuel belt, gels, bottles, calf compression yokes, hat, headphones etc etc. People were looking at me thinking 'He's very geared up for a 5k'! I was so embarrassed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Timing it so you arrive at the start just as it kicks off is a feat! I'd screw it up and be left waiting around, or (more likely, as i'm slow), take off ten minutes after everybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone have any success in wearing calf sleeves or compression socks to prevent calf cramps on long runs?

Wore compression socks for all my long runs and on race day for the London marathon - no calf issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

That's my life most Sat mornings, 11k jog to parkrun & then hang around for a while either beforehand or afterwards as I'm always volunteering for something, do the run & then 11k jog home. The parkrun varies quite a lot depending on whether I'm on pacing duty, taking it easy or every now and again when I decide it's time to improve my pb a little (not too much as don't want to leave myself with nowhere to go :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Has anyone stayed at Parc Sequoia campsite near Marennes in France? Wondering what it is like for running routes near the campsite - can't find anything online!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Has anyone stayed at Parc Sequoia campsite near Marennes in France? Wondering what it is like for running routes near the campsite - can't find anything online!

Thanks

I look at strava segments in the areas i'm going to and click the activities of the people that have completed them... example: https://www.strava.com/activities/695221837/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

I look at strava segments in the areas i'm going to and click the activities of the people that have completed them... example: https://www.strava.com/activities/695221837/overview

Great idea thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Can anyone advise on hill sprints? I want to give this a try but having never attempted them I am unsure as to how to do so? Do I run for a while on flat ground towards an area with a hill and then run up the hill? Or should I start running at the bottom of the hill straight away? How many should I attempt in one session?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

gypsylee wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on hill sprints? I want to give this a try but having never attempted them I am unsure as to how to do so? Do I run for a while on flat ground towards an area with a hill and then run up the hill? Or should I start running at the bottom of the hill straight away? How many should I attempt in one session?

10 seconds of sprinting uphill
    you can have a metre or two lead-in, but start sprinting and counting on the hill

2.5-3 minutes recovery
    so stroll down and hang around for a while at the bottom of the hill. It's not just getting your breath back but a full recovery

Start with 6, after a few weeks, if the 6 are okay, try 8

It has to be a full-on sprint, not just a fast run. Stay tall, drive your elbows, lift your knees, feet fast off the ground. If you get to 8/9 seconds and are losing form, stop there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

RayCun wrote: »
    you can have a metre or two lead-in, but start sprinting and counting on the hill

2.5-3 minutes recovery
    so stroll down and hang around for a while at the bottom of the hill. It's not just getting your breath back but a full recovery

It has to be a full-on sprint, not just a fast run. Stay tall, drive your elbows, lift your knees, feet fast off the ground. If you get to 8/9 seconds and are losing form, stop there

How steep a hill are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

2.5-3 minutes recovery

Thanks RayCun. That's exactly the advice I needed. I will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

i would always have done longer hill runs myself, like 100-200m

HigginsJ wrote: »
    How steep a hill are we talking?

enough that you'd call it a hill :)

not just a drag
    IvoryTower wrote: »
    i would always have done longer hill runs myself, like 100-200m

can go on to do 20 second hills alright, but 10 seconds with good form is great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

So would you reckon fast run (4min/km pace) repeatedly up a hill (10 times) for 25s would be of little benefit? Better to try and sprint it?

So would you reckon fast run (4min/km pace) repeatedly up a hill (10 times) for 25s would be of little benefit? Better to try and sprint it?

The aim of the session is to recruit fast-twitch fibres.
    Full sprint -> maximum power required -> maximum recruitment
    Short time period because that's all they'll last for
    Long recoveries because you need the muscles to refill with ATP/CP, which takes a few minutes

If you go slower, for longer, or without the long recoveries, you'll be using the same slow-twitch fibres that you do on a normal run. The session could have other benefits, but not recruitment.

The aim of the session is to recruit fast-twitch fibres.
    Full sprint -> maximum power required -> maximum recruitment
    Short time period because that's all they'll last for
    Long recoveries because you need the muscles to refill with ATP/CP, which takes a few minutes

If you go slower, for longer, or without the long recoveries, you'll be using the same slow-twitch fibres that you do on a normal run. The session could have other benefits, but not recruitment.

Thanks for the detailed response. Interesting info. The purpose of my hill training is to give me the confidence of doing "race pace" on hills as opposed to improving my sprint speed. I wonder when you refer to "other benefits" does that count as one? Or maybe I need to adjust my hill training. In otherwords, is the purpose of hill sprints to improve base speed as opposed to getting used to running hills/recovering fast?

Thanks for the detailed response. Interesting info. The purpose of my hill training is to give me the confidence of doing "race pace" on hills as opposed to improving my sprint speed. I wonder when you refer to "other benefits" does that count as one? Or maybe I need to adjust my hill training. In otherwords, is the purpose of hill sprints to improve base speed as opposed to getting used to running hills/recovering fast?

The purpose of hill sprints is to improve base speed.

If you want to practice running at race pace on a hilly course, you should run longer intervals on a hilly course :)

I presume by "race pace" you mean for distance races that are 5k or longer? Are you running the hills at 5k pace?

One way to think about sessions is to think about where you are at the limit during the session, and that's the thing that you are going to get better at doing.

In hill sprints, the limit is how fast you can run, against the resistance of the hill. The short intervals and long recoveries mean each time you are almost reset to zero. You aren't trying to improve how you deal with lactic, limits of oxygen update, or general fatigue, because none of them should be problems. It is just about delivering power, so you should be improving recruitment, sequencing, form, things like that.

In a threshold run, you want to get better at dealing with lactic byproducts. So you have to run at a pace that is near that threshold, and sustain that pace for a decent period. Run too fast and you pass the threshold too soon, don't run long enough and you're not pushing your clearance rate.

Training at your race pace, you are trying to get better at dealing with the issues caused by that pace - general fatigue, lactic, aerobic capacity, whatever. You balance the distances run and the recoveries between intervals so you are dealing with a more manageable version of the challenges you'll face in the race.

If you run up a hill at 5k pace, you aren't really running at 5k effort, you're running something much harder. It isn't a race-specific session, because the effort profile is /\/\/\/\/\/\ for five minutes, and that's not what a 5k race looks like. That doesn't mean its a bad session, but 8 hills like that is more like an 8 x 200 @ mile pace session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

So if I'm doing the short hill sprints as you described but I don't take the full recovery (i.e just jog back down and go again) then I'm basically making a mess of 2 sessions - recoveries aren't long enough for hill sprints and the reps aren't long enough for hill repeats?

So if I'm doing the short hill sprints as you described but I don't take the full recovery (i.e just jog back down and go again) then I'm basically making a mess of 2 sessions - recoveries aren't long enough for hill sprints and the reps aren't long enough for hill repeats?

Well, it means you are going to be dealing with increasing fatigue, steadily rising heartrate, shortness of breath etc through the session, and maybe those are the areas where you'll improve most - catching your breath again sooner, heart rate returning to normal faster - with less improvement in your top speed.

I don't think a run is ever really a waste, it's just some runs are more efficient at delivering benefits than others, and some of the ways we can improve are more important than others.

RayCun wrote:
    Well, it means you are going to be dealing with increasing fatigue, steadily rising heartrate, shortness of breath etc through the session, and maybe those are the areas where you'll improve most - catching your breath again sooner, heart rate returning to normal faster - with less improvement in your top speed.

Which in turn will bring benefits by recovering faster from hills during races? I was doing what I described in place of strides some days.
    I've been pondering this for a while actually. As in what are the differences between short hill sprints with full recoveries v hill repeats (30s - 1min) with jog back down recoveries v longer repeats (i.e 3 mins @ 5k effort) v hilly tempo/threshold runs (effort based, rolling circuit) v easy hills. What improvements does each type of session bring? Which ones are for speed and which are for strength?
    It's interesting that you describe improvements in recovery - in general I've found the fitter I get, the faster I recover from sessions and races. What are the best ways to train to improve your rate of recovery? Why do I ask? Because surely the faster you can recover, than harder you can train and the more miles you can fit in. Right? Or am I talking out me hoop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone here ever run the Brandon Bay Half Marathon? A good few from my club are doing it but I'm a little hesitant as its all on sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I am looking to introduce intervals and Hills into my training. I have a few hill around where i live. Would this be the sort of hill needed to get the benefits.

418601.JPG

The purpose of hill sprints is to improve base speed.

If you want to practice running at race pace on a hilly course, you should run longer intervals on a hilly course :)

I presume by "race pace" you mean for distance races that are 5k or longer? Are you running the hills at 5k pace?

One way to think about sessions is to think about where you are at the limit during the session, and that's the thing that you are going to get better at doing.

In hill sprints, the limit is how fast you can run, against the resistance of the hill. The short intervals and long recoveries mean each time you are almost reset to zero. You aren't trying to improve how you deal with lactic, limits of oxygen update, or general fatigue, because none of them should be problems. It is just about delivering power, so you should be improving recruitment, sequencing, form, things like that.

In a threshold run, you want to get better at dealing with lactic byproducts. So you have to run at a pace that is near that threshold, and sustain that pace for a decent period. Run too fast and you pass the threshold too soon, don't run long enough and you're not pushing your clearance rate.

Training at your race pace, you are trying to get better at dealing with the issues caused by that pace - general fatigue, lactic, aerobic capacity, whatever. You balance the distances run and the recoveries between intervals so you are dealing with a more manageable version of the challenges you'll face in the race.

If you run up a hill at 5k pace, you aren't really running at 5k effort, you're running something much harder. It isn't a race-specific session, because the effort profile is /\/\/\/\/\/\ for five minutes, and that's not what a 5k race looks like. That doesn't mean its a bad session, but 8 hills like that is more like an 8 x 200 @ mile pace session.

God there's a lot to think about with all of these different types of runs. Hard to know if you're targeting the correct things. I run the hills at close to target 10k pace with a view to improving hill stamina and recovery. I've mixed in sessions of 200m and 400m interval flat sprints to improve base speed. LT/tempo run to improve speed stamina and Lactic removal. Long slow ten mile run. Every other week the McMillan 6 mile mix at 10k race pace. So the idea is to cover speed, speed stamina, stamina,lt, recovery. Obviously not all in one week! Not sure if I'm on the right or wrong track.

Edit: Thanks for the inputs by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Which in turn will bring benefits by recovering faster from hills during races? I was doing what I described in place of strides some days.
    I've been pondering this for a while actually. As in what are the differences between short hill sprints with full recoveries v hill repeats (30s - 1min) with jog back down recoveries v longer repeats (i.e 3 mins @ 5k effort) v hilly tempo/threshold runs (effort based, rolling circuit) v easy hills. What improvements does each type of session bring? Which ones are for speed and which are for strength?
    It's interesting that you describe improvements in recovery - in general I've found the fitter I get, the faster I recover from sessions and races. What are the best ways to train to improve your rate of recovery? Why do I ask? Because surely the faster you can recover, than harder you can train and the more miles you can fit in. Right? Or am I talking out me hoop?

Phew, where to start:D This really is a huge amount of info as things don't fall together so neatly or simply as 1, 2, 3. You could probably write a book on the range of hill runs mentioned above, someone probably already has:D. I'll just try and keep this as simple as possible because it has huge potential to get messy and littered with jargon. In simple terms, any hill you run up is resistence training, it builds power and strength. It's important to remember that just because you are doing intervals on hills, doesn't make them any different to intervals on the flat when talking about energy systems (aerobic, anearobic or whatever you want to call them) when done correctly. 6x3minutes @5k pace on a hill is one of of the same as it would be on the flat. The difference is that hills target the muscles more than flat running does for obvious reasons. The hills really challenge the muscles we use to drive forward when running so hills recruit more of our muscle fibres to break through the resistence of our bodyweight/gravity . The stronger they get, the better it is for performance and form.

It really is no different to normal intervals otherwise though. Generally, The shorter and faster the hill interval, the more it designed towards muscular power, the longer it is and the more it is inclined towards muscular endurance. Short 8-12 second hill sprints w/full recovery will target ATP energy systems like Raycun said above and they will also help neuromuscularly (speed up how quick the message to contract gets from our nervous system to the muscle).

I really can't explain the effects of each different type of hill run you have mentioned above as it massively depends on 4 factors for each one (how long the rep is? How long is the recovery? What is the total number of reps? What is the intensity? When you change one aspect, you change the whole workout which was what Raycun was hinting at in the post you quoted. That is opening up pandoras box and something that would need a book to write about. If you really want to learn about something like that, here's a good starter article to get you on the road.

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/02/interval-training-why-its-misunderstood.html

^^^^^^

Cheers. I'm currently working my way through that book, but some chapters will need reading more than once I'd say.

there's a difference between short-term recovery and long-term recovery. 'Short-term' - how long it takes your heart rate and breathing to recover after a hard effort
    'Long-term' - how quickly you recover from a hard session

Both of them will improve as you get fitter. 'Long-term' recovery will tend to decline as you get older, you are slower to repair the damage after a session. But it also relates to training load. If you're an experienced 5k runner, run a lot every week, run a lot of sessions, then 12x400@5k pace will be hard, but not harder than your body is used to. If you are a less-experienced, lower mileage runner and you do that session, it would be more of a shock to the system and harder to recover from.

I don't think either type of recovery is something you actually target in a session. When you're planning a session, the type and duration of your rest intervals is determined by how much you want to recover (full recovery like discussed above, or cruise recovery in between MP intervals, for example). When planning a training week or longer block, you balance the intensity of the sessions with the need to recover in between them. But having your heart rate return quickly to rest levels isn't an advantage in racing.
    boydkev wrote: »
    I am looking to introduce intervals and Hills into my training. I have a few hill around where i live. Would this be the sort of hill needed to get the benefits.

418601.JPG

feet and miles :confused::confused:
    I'm terrible at judging gradients anyway. If you can sit on a bike and freewheel down at a decent clip, it's a hill :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

feet and miles :confused::confused:
    I'm terrible at judging gradients anyway. If you can sit on a bike and freewheel down at a decent clip, it's a hill :)

The hill is approx 1km and has a 82m Rise and i think it is about 7% as average.
    I suppose the steeper the hill the harder the workout.

Advertisement