Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

OOnegative wrote: »
    Cheers AM, but was looking for something that is a bit more comprehensive than that.

I'm sure if you Google it you'll find plenty of walking clubs in Holland ;)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I'm sure if you Google it you'll find plenty of walking clubs in Holland ;)

TbL

Get back to crying over your knee Fat-man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Get back to crying over your knee Fat-man!!!

Settle down Jaap Stam maybe you could take up inland skating :)

TbL

Settle down Jaap Stam maybe you could take up inland skating :)

TbL

Na more Arjen Robben than Jaap Stam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Cheers AM, but was looking for something that is a bit more comprehensive than that.

More comprehensive how? That's a full list of races in The Netherlands this year and next :D fussy git.

• Advertisement

More comprehensive how? That's a full list of races in The Netherlands this year and next :D fussy git.

Not to argue with you but I seriously doubt there isn't a race to be had in Holland between 18th of June to mid July somehow. And keep your pity thanks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Anybody know where I could get a comprehensive list of road races in Holland?

boards.nl ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Anybody know where I could get a comprehensive list of road races in Holland?

Was about to blast you for not reading your mails till I saw I never hit the sent button :o

https://uitslagen.nl/
    http://www.looptijden.nl/hardloopwedstrijden/hardloopkalender

Was about to blast you for not reading your mails till I saw I never hit the sent button :o

I thought I done something wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Sure that f*cker is probably reading all of our mails L !

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    Sure that f*cker is probably reading all of our mails L !

What's the story with you dialling all those 0800 numbers D!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Q re Max HR.

Ran the IR5 this morning and gave it everything, feels like the max I've ever ran and my Max HR from it is 182.

Ran parkrun before and maxed out at 188.

What's going on there? Incorrect reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Lazare wrote: »
    Q re Max HR.

Ran the IR5 this morning and gave it everything, feels like the max I've ever ran and my Max HR from it is 182.

Impossible to say on that limited bit of information.
    My highest HR readings have all come from (road) 5Ks, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Impossible to say on that limited bit of information.
    My highest HR readings have all come from (road) 5Ks, though.

It does seem to vary whenever I give it all, is that normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Lazare wrote: »
    Q re Max HR.

A longer race means you won't get as high a reading. For instance, you are not going to come close to either of those in a marathon. The intensity of distances is different. You can only maintain certain percentages for a given time. Even though the effort given on a 10 mile and 5k might be rated 10/10, it's a different kind of effort for each race, the 5k stresses the HR max more than the 10 mile. Remember that your heart is a muscle too and as such, is prone to fatigue as well meaning it cannot maintain the same performance level at 5k as a 5 mile or a 10 mile which is why you have to pace yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I've just entered a 75k (or 79k, not 100% clear!) trail run in September. Never been beyond marathon distance before so should be 'fun'. Basic question is, how can I train for this? Do I do two longish runs back to back at the weekend, for example? Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Itziger wrote: »
    I've just entered a 75k (or 79k, not 100% clear!) trail run in September. Never been beyond marathon distance before so should be 'fun'. Basic question is, how can I train for this? Do I do two longish runs back to back at the weekend, for example? Anything else?

Every ultra runner I know has a different answer to this.

Long back-to-back weekend runs is what I used to do, and a lot of runners still swear by that. I've changed that now to a fast-ish run of up to 10 miles on day 1 and a long run on day 2. Nothing mad, same long run distance as for a marathon.

I also tend to run about 3 marathons as part of training for each ultra, all of them 15-ish minutes slower than race pace. On those weekends I don't do the fast run the day before.

Keep a decent mileage all through training and go easy on speed work. Always have an eye on recovery and make sure you can recover fully from those long runs.

Since this is a trail run, make sure you get plenty of trail experience. I'd still do all faster running on the road, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coulagh2017

Look up a guy called Sage Canaday on YouTube. He does a lot of ultras worldwide and has a lot of training advice videos for ultras, marathons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Want time counts, net time, chip time, gun time, garmin time :confused:

The races i run tend to be smallish and if chip timed they usually only have a finish mat and i start near the back. I hit start on my garmin as i cross the start line so i feel this is most accurate but it's not official.

In the last 2 5k races for example my garmin time was 2 seconds faster than the chip time. And in both cases the garmin measured well over 5k (5.063 and 5.019).

Of course we're splitting hairs really as it's of so little relevance but i wonder what the general trend is :cool:

ariana` wrote: »
    Want time counts, net time, chip time, gun time, garmin time :confused:

The races i run tend to be smallish and if chip timed they usually only have a finish mat and i start near the back. I hit start on my garmin as i cross the start line so i feel this is most accurate but it's not official.

In the last 2 5k races for example my garmin time was 2 seconds faster than the chip time. And in both cases the garmin measured well over 5k (5.063 and 5.019).

Of course we're splitting hairs really as it's of so little relevance but i wonder what the general trend is :cool:

Gun time is the only time that counts if you're racing (to win, to be part of a winning team, age category wins etc etc) so you'll see the fast club runners up the very front as every second really does count here. For the rest of us chip time is what we want when trying to get a PB, it's the time measured from when you cross the start mat and then the finish mat V start time of the race. Ignore your gramin where there's a start mat in a race, it's not official. Unless there is a significant error (happened to me in Kinvara, they gave me the wrong race number so my chip time was nearly 40 mins over my actual time, luckily there was photographic evidence ;)).

PS if there's no starting mat you have no choice but accept the gun time given as official.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Look up a guy called Sage Canaday on YouTube. He does a lot of ultras worldwide and has a lot of training advice videos for ultras, marathons etc

A few active logs for ultra runners might give you a feel for their approaches

Sage Canaday
    Steve Way
    Robbie Britton
    Max King
    Jason Cherriman

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well they all count up to a point but I'd take my PB from the chip time. if available, gun time if not chip timed. I wouldn't get too hungup on 2 seconds. Unless its a difference from 19:59 to 20:01. Ahem.

Gun time is the only time that counts if you're racing (to win, to be part of a winning team, age category wins etc etc) so you'll see the fast club runners up the very front as every second really does count here. For the rest of us chip time is what we want when trying to get a PB, it's the time measured from when you cross the start mat and then the finish mat V start time of the race. Ignore your gramin where there's a start mat in a race, it's not official. Unless there is a significant error (happened to me in Kinvara, they gave me the wrong race number so my chip time was nearly 40 mins over my actual time, luckily there was photographic evidence ;)).

PS if there's no starting mat you have no choice but accept the gun time given as official.

Thanks, this is what i was thinking.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Well they all count up to a point but I'd take my PB from the chip time. if available, gun time if not chip timed. I wouldn't get too hungup on 2 seconds. Unless its a difference from 19:59 to 20:01. Ahem.

Or the difference between getting a 2 second PB or running your PB again :rolleyes:

Thanks folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Itziger wrote: »

75km isn't a huge step up from marathon. Similar enough training.

Back to back weekend runs are great but you don't have to ramp up the mileage. A few top guys wouldn't run beyond 22 miles if training for 50 mile race.

I'd aim for a 50km trail run a few weeks before the race. Hit the trails though. Some fast road runners struggle on trail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Can anyone recommend any deep meditation exercises to train the mental side of athletic performance? TIA

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any deep meditation exercises to train the mental side of athletic performance? TIA

I have a friend who swears by the HeadSpace App. He uses it daily for just a very short few minutes, i think maybe 5-10 mins. I've been meaning to try it but like lots of other things i haven't got around to it yet :rolleyes:

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I have a friend who swears by the HeadSpace App. He uses it daily for just a very short few minutes, i think maybe 5-10 mins. I've been meaning to try it but like lots of other things i haven't got around to it yet :rolleyes:

I'm not sure she needs it any more #legend #NATIONALGOLD :pac:

Maybe she could make an app to help the rest of us mere mortals instead :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi ariana, will give that a go, thanks. I'm reading William Chandon's Awakening on my Kindle. It has me very intrigued. It gets you to dig quite deeply and introspectively. Thanks again!
    Ha. Have to work at next year's defence now ;) Might be a fresh-legged 44 year old with her beady eyes on it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone else out there obsessed with buying windproof running jackets? :-)

I have 3 or 4 already and another couple that I wear casually....and I just bought another 2 online today (in my defence, they were on sale for less than half price and one of them is badly needed hi-viz)... the missus thinks I have a problem and I'm inclined to agree with her :-)

Advertisement