Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Anyone else out there obsessed with buying windproof running jackets? :-)

I have 3 or 4 already and another couple that I wear casually....and I just bought another 2 online today (in my defence, they were on sale for less than half price and one of them is badly needed hi-viz)... the missus thinks I have a problem and I'm inclined to agree with her :-)

No, but now that you mention it - link? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Quick q in relation to running shoes with spikes:
    The youngster is looking to get a pair of spikes for his first xc session in an athletics club. I've been having a nose on the sports direct website - is there any difference between those used on a track to those for xc?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    The youngster is looking to get a pair of spikes for his first xc session in an athletics club. I've been having a nose on the sports direct website - is there any difference between those used on a track to those for xc?

It is mainly the length of the spike is the difference.

Longer ones are needed for XC to get a better grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

You mean the shoes or the spikes? Obviously he'll need longer spikes for XC. I'm guessing nowadays there are differences in shoes too. Back in the late 70's I don't believe there was a difference, at least not for a working class lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Track ones usually tend to be a little lighter but at kids level you can get more versatile ones

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/spikes/running-spikes/allround.html

In terms of the spikes themselves they can be changed out

5mm - track
    7-9 mm - relatively dry cross country
    12+mm - mudbath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Recently bought the ADIDAS all round for my young lad and will replace the spikes for the xc season

Yeah it's the shoes we are looking for. Sports shops around here don't stock them. So he would put shorter spikes on them for track and longer spikes for xc? He's into adult sizes with footwear so any online website suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

yeah 5mm spikes for track and 8mm+ for XC. Be careful re sizes. My guy is size 1 in runners but 2.5 in spikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Down South wrote: »
    yeah 5mm spikes for track and 8mm+ for XC. Be careful re sizes. My guy is size 1 in runners but 2.5 in spikes

+1
    General rule of thumb is to go up a size in spikes from usual shoe size

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Anyone ever hear of potassium loss from swearing during exercise / running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Zipppy wrote: »

Yup, it's a mineral (along with magnesium and sodium and others) that is secreted with sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Is it ok if you only shout f*ck towards the end of a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Lazare wrote: »
    Is it ok if you only shout f*ck towards the end of a race?

Don't mention the word. I did it once but I think I got away with it

+1
    General rule of thumb is to go up a size in spikes from usual shoe size
    Thanks for the replies in relation to the spikes. Ordered next shoe size up (adult size 11) in the spikes from Lifestyle sports, hopefully they fit but if not we should be able to return to store. http://www.lifestylesports.com/en/restofworld/nike/mens-zoom-rival-distance-spike/invt/12118620
    Elverys seem to stock the spikes themselves but not the shoes so I'll pop in there and pick up a pack of spikes when his shoes land and I find out what length spikes are on them (product description didn't say).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Zipppy wrote: »

Brilliant. Typo of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Vomiting after long runs.

Hey. training for my 2nd marathon. Anytime I run longer than 25km I seem to spend a few hours afterwards puking & can't keep any fluid down. I do sip about 0.3L / hr while running but the problem seems to arise about 1 hour after finishing. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Vomiting after long runs.

Hey. training for my 2nd marathon. Anytime I run longer than 25km I seem to spend a few hours afterwards puking & can't keep any fluid down. I do sip about 0.3L / hr while running but the problem seems to arise about 1 hour after finishing. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    Stop running! That's not normal or healthy. Go see a medical practitioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Stop running! That's not normal or healthy. Go see a medical practitioner.

Well either that or stop drinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

No, but now that you mention it - link? :)

Only saw your follow up this morning - it was on Sweatshop...I got 2 Karrimor jackets for £12.99 each. They actually arrived yesterday morning...original price tags were £49.99 (:eek:) so I either go the deal of the century or have been duped by Mike Ashley.

What are people's opinions of Karrimor generally for running gear?

It seems that the brand was bought by SportsDirect a few years ago. I've got a pair of shorts, a long sleeved top and now 2 rather snazzy wind jackets. The quality seems fine to me so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I have a few bits of Karrimor accumulated over a few years and there has been a serious jump in quality, particularly over the last two years. In saying that, the most recent pair of shorts that I bought, the inner lining is a funny fit and squeezes things into unusual positions at times!! TMI I suppose but you did ask for feedback. :-D Otherwise all good, especially their everyday running socks. Still prefer Nike socks for the longer stuff

• Advertisement

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Only saw your follow up this morning - it was on Sweatshop...I got 2 Karrimor jackets for £12.99 each. They actually arrived yesterday morning...original price tags were £49.99 (:eek:) so I either go the deal of the century or have been duped by Mike Ashley.

What are people's opinions of Karrimor generally for running gear?

It seems that the brand was bought by SportsDirect a few years ago. I've got a pair of shorts, a long sleeved top and now 2 rather snazzy wind jackets. The quality seems fine to me so far anyway.
    I've picked up a few things from Karrimor over the years, mainly accessories though and I've a running jacket that's seen me through a few winters running so far.
    I recently bought their shorts and I haven't been much of a shorts wearer for a few years (Haven't been able to find any that didn't ride up, make my thighs look chunky, chub rub etc).
    http://ie.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-2-in-1-running-shorts-ladies-457106?colcode=45710690

I'm not a fan of the runners. Was trying them on in store (I'm size 4 in shoes, sometimes size 5 in runners). Size 4 - couldn't get my foot into it, size 5 - could just get my foot in, size 6 - foot could fit in but they were too wide.

I'm also not a big fan of the pricing structure. I'm not sure if Karrimor is sold anywhere else but I'm dubious of Sports Direct and their "50% off RRP" claims. I've never seen Karrimor sold anywhere at full price. It still hasn't stopped me shopping there though!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I find the sizing a bit odd, I prefer Decathlon for cheap tops and shorts.

I don't rate the shoes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I find the sizing a bit odd, I prefer Decathlon for cheap tops and shorts.

I don't rate the shoes at all.

Decathlon are opening in Dublin soon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

jameshayes wrote: »
    Decathlon are opening in Dublin soon! :D

Really??? REALLY????? OMG when, where, what????? AM SO EXCITED :D:D:D

Really?????

Really??? REALLY????? OMG when, where, what????? AM SO EXCITED :D:D:D

Really?????

Got an email from them yesterday saying they are hiring staff for their shop opening in Dublin soon... I really don't want it to open however, I don't want to get into huge debt..

Got an email from them yesterday saying they are hiring staff for their shop opening in Dublin soon... I really don't want it to open however, I don't want to get into huge debt..

Actually.. maybe I misread the email.. could be opening an office base here?

250thxv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

250thxv.png

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! You can't give with one hand and take away with the other :mad: sigh, maybe their opening an office with a view to expanding the stores down here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

250thxv.png

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! You can't give with one hand and take away with the other :mad: sigh, maybe their opening an office with a view to expanding the stores down here :)
    yeah looks to be an office with a store down the line at some point juding by some of their facebook responses to people asking this very question.

But it would be good to see increase in their online store for Ireland. If it becomes like their UK site it would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

How does one combine marathon training (latter stages) and XC ? do the long run on Wednesday or Thursday?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Spirogyra wrote: »
    How does one combine marathon training (latter stages) and XC ? do the long run on Wednesday or Thursday?.

You can't be in top share for both at the same time. Pick whichever is more important to you and train for that. You can still do the other one, but you won't be at your peak best.

Advertisement