Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

You can't be in top share for both at the same time. Pick whichever is more important to you and train for that. You can still do the other one, but you won't be at your peak best.

Yup. Use the xc as a strength-building session, and re-arrange your schedule to get the long run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Only saw your follow up this morning - it was on Sweatshop...I got 2 Karrimor jackets for £12.99 each. They actually arrived yesterday morning...original price tags were £49.99 (:eek:) so I either go the deal of the century or have been duped by Mike Ashley.

What are people's opinions of Karrimor generally for running gear?

It seems that the brand was bought by SportsDirect a few years ago. I've got a pair of shorts, a long sleeved top and now 2 rather snazzy wind jackets. The quality seems fine to me so far anyway.
    JohnDozer wrote: »
    I have a few bits of Karrimor accumulated over a few years and there has been a serious jump in quality, particularly over the last two years. In saying that, the most recent pair of shorts that I bought, the inner lining is a funny fit and squeezes things into unusual positions at times!! TMI I suppose but you did ask for feedback. :-D Otherwise all good, especially their everyday running socks. Still prefer Nike socks for the longer stuff

wrt to the shorts - I bought three pairs a while back, but the jocks are made of net and I've ended up with cuts on me.....well somewhere not too comfortable, so I only wear them for very short runs and only if I haven;t done the washing. Their other stuff seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RunnerGarf

Does anyone have any good stretching or yoga programs they would recommend for someone who is very inflexible?

I'm looking to increase my flexibility as I've always been very inflexible and have read that it can help to reduce running related injuries. I'm embarrassed when I try to touch my toes while keeping my legs straight, I can't get much further than past my knees. My hamstrings and lower back feel very tight. I work in a desk job and spend about 2 hours a day in the car so I guess those two things don't help.

I've tried searching but can't find something suitable for someone of my ability. I need the C25K version of stretching/yoga! Any recommendations would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

RunnerGarf wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good stretching or yoga programs they would recommend for someone who is very inflexible?

I'm looking to increase my flexibility as I've always been very inflexible and have read that it can help to reduce running related injuries. I'm embarrassed when I try to touch my toes while keeping my legs straight, I can't get much further than past my knees. My hamstrings and lower back feel very tight. I work in a desk job and spend about 2 hours a day in the car so I guess those two things don't help.

I've tried searching but can't find something suitable for someone of my ability. I need the C25K version of stretching/yoga! Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If I was you I'd start at the bottom and work your way up - so start with your lower leg and then move up the body as you progress.. 10-20 minutes a day and within a few weeks you'll see a big difference

Here is a short routine that I use: Hold each one for 30 seconds (except lower back one, hold that for 10 seconds x 5 times)

Soleus Stretch
    Calf stretch
    Quad Stretch
    Hamstring Stretch
    Glute Stretch
    Hip Flexor Stretch
    Butterfly Stretch
    Lower Back Stretch

Google them all, print them all out, set a reminder in your phone and be religious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RunnerGarf

jameshayes wrote: »
    If I was you I'd start at the bottom and work your way up - so start with your lower leg and then move up the body as you progress.. 10-20 minutes a day and within a few weeks you'll see a big difference

Here is a short routine that I use: Hold each one for 30 seconds (except lower back one, hold that for 10 seconds x 5 times)

Soleus Stretch
    Calf stretch
    Quad Stretch
    Hamstring Stretch
    Glute Stretch
    Hip Flexor Stretch
    Butterfly Stretch
    Lower Back Stretch

Google them all, print them all out, set a reminder in your phone and be religious about it.

Thanks for that list, Googled a few of them there and think this is exactly what I need. I'll get them printed out and try them tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Why is my Garmin Forerunner 230 instant pace so wrong at the beginning of every lap (mile or k)? I am not talking about when I just set off, but after every lap.

It seems pretty accurate after a minute or so in a new lap (it settles), but as soon as my mile as ended, the instant pace (and the avg lap pace for that matter) very often goes off by 20 to 30 seconds, before settling again. Why?

Any clues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

echancrure wrote: »
    Why is my Garmin Forerunner 230 instant pace so wrong at the beginning of every lap (mile or k)? I am not talking about when I just set off, but after every lap.

It seems pretty accurate after a minute or so in a new lap (it settles), but as soon as my mile as ended, the instant pace (and the avg lap pace for that matter) very often goes off by 20 to 30 seconds, before settling again. Why?

Any clues?

Garmins work on a data point basis (regular pings with satelites) the first few seconds there are not as many data points to collate information from hence rapid fluctuation early on before settling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭ooter

I recently started doing some weight training twice a week, Monday and Thursday/Friday. Nothing major, just some squats/lunges/deadlifts with dumbbells but I can certainly feel it in my legs the following day when I run but I'm also definitely seeing/feeling the benefits overall.
    I'm doing the Fingal 10k this Sunday, would it be best to leave off on the weights this Thursday/Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Garmins work on a data point basis (regular pings with satelites) the first few seconds there are not as many data points to collate information from hence rapid fluctuation early on before settling.

It seems a rather silly way to establish an instant pace. To establish the pace at lap + 10'' it would make sense to consider pace at lap - 10'' unless it is a ridiculous value like 0...

I would described a little more cleverness in the algorithm than you describe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

ooter wrote: »
    I recently started doing some weight training twice a week, Monday and Thursday/Friday. Nothing major, just some squats/lunges/deadlifts with dumbbells but I can certainly feel it in my legs the following day when I run but I'm also definitely seeing/feeling the benefits overall.
    I'm doing the Fingal 10k this Sunday, would it be best to leave off on the weights this Thursday/Friday?

I don't know much, but my physio has given me squats to strengthen my muscles and told me none after today of this week until after Fingal 10K. So I reckon it'd probably be the same for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

echancrure wrote: »

Any clues?

Is it set for avg pace rather than pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ooter wrote: »

If you want to race the 10k then definitely bin the strength training this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What's good to take for your joints?

I've no pain, discomfort or issues with regards my joints when I'm running.

But I've noticed the past while that when I do my gym session (circuits, HIIT, bums n tums, that kind of thing) that when I do things like rotate my arms, legs raises etc I can hear my shoulder and hip sockets click.

Now I'm probably the only person who can hear it but I'm starting to feel conscious of it and I'm only in my early 30's.

I went to my local chemist and they suggested fish oils. I detest the sight, smell, sound of anything fish related. They suggested Krill oil capsules which they assured me were not fishy - they are vile! The smell as soon as you take them out of the blister pack! A waste of €25!

Is there anything else I can take to look after my joints? Is it something to worry about (not looking for medical advice). Or is it just part of getting older?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Hi Sunny Dayz,

I used to suffer with terrible hip and shoulder pain. I was getting steroid injections every six months for a couple of years. Someone suggested I try Glucosamine Sulphate tablets and I am so glad I did. I have no pain at all since I started them about eighteen months ago. I buy the cheap ones in Aldi and they do the job. No injections since.

They might no work for everyone but they definitely do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

gypsylee wrote: »

Hi Sunny Dayz,

I used to suffer with terrible hip and shoulder pain. I was getting steroid injections every six months for a couple of years. Someone suggested I try Glucosamine Sulphate tablets and I am so glad I did. I have no pain at all since I started them about eighteen months ago. I buy the cheap ones in Aldi and they do the job. No injections since.

They might no work for everyone but they definitely do for me.

Thanks and is there any taste off them? Are they large tablets as I have difficulty swallowing tablets (they say it's all in my head!)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

gypsylee wrote: »

Thanks and is there any taste off them? Are they large tablets as I have difficulty swallowing tablets (they say it's all in my head!)

No taste at all. They are not too big but you could cut them in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I have improved my speed a lot recently over shorter distance, I brought my 5k PB down by over a minute in the space of a year from 23.30 to recently 22.10 which I'm delighted with. I've also decent pace on the track with mile time at 6.15; however, I seem to struggle in second half of a race over longer distances; I'm not sure if it's mental or not as I definitely think I can go faster. For example my 10K PB this year is 48.06 and it probably should be faster giving my improved pace over 5k. I do a LSR every week at a good pace and so far this year have 2 HMs behind me. Anyone have any advice on becoming a stronger runner over longer distances? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I have improved my speed a lot recently over shorter distance, I brought my 5k PB down by over a minute in the space of a year from 23.30 to recently 22.10 which I'm delighted with. I've also decent pace on the track with mile time at 6.15; however, I seem to struggle in second half of a race over longer distances; I'm not sure if it's mental or not as I definitely think I can go faster. For example my 10K PB this year is 48.06 and it probably should be faster giving my improved pace over 5k. I do a LSR every week at a good pace and so far this year have 2 HMs behind me. Anyone have any advice on becoming a stronger runner over longer distances? Thanks in advance!

Run more, follow a structured training plan, target some races, repeat. Don't worry about the pace of your LSRs, time on feet is mostly what matters. If you want some more detailed feedback, start a training log here :)

Singer wrote: »
    Run more, follow a structured training plan, target some races, repeat. Don't worry about the pace of your LSRs, time on feet is mostly what matters. If you want some more detailed feedback, start a training log here :)

I have been following a detailed training plan though. It's only since I've started racing recently that the aforementioned has occurred to me once or twice/ Any good training sessions for building strength over longer distances? I was thinking of longer reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Seannew1 wrote:
    I have been following a detailed training plan though. It's only since I've started racing recently that the aforementioned has occurred to me once or twice/ Any good training sessions for building strength over longer distances? I was thinking of longer reps.

Take a look at the best 10k workout mcmillan thread on here. It's exactly what will help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Seannew1 wrote: »

What distance\pace is your LSR?
    How many times a week would you run on average?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any suggestions for tummy upset? I find when i'm really tiring during a long run or a race that my tummy feels a bit sick. Should I be eating more or less on the runs or breakfast, anything to avoid?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Who is Frank Duffy anyway?? :confused:

Duanington wrote: »
    What distance\pace is your LSR?
    How many times a week would you run on average?

I'd run 4 times a week; generally 2 hard, 1 easy and 1 inbetween. LSR is generally between 15-18k and done at a very slow pace; usually averaging 6.15 minutes a kilometer. That would be my "easy" day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Shelga wrote: »
    Who is Frank Duffy anyway?? :confused:

http://www.phoenixparkrunners.ie/club-history/

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Cool down or warm down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cool down or warm down?

Cool down. Always!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Cool down. Always!

Only exception is in the gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Have lost too much weight (and muscle mass) via running (and prob not eating enough)
    Need to build myself up a bit...increase protein and do some weight work ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

recommend me a smart watch that I can use to connect to strava and easily see my pace and distance on screen....please :)

Advertisement