Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm running the rock N roll half on Sunday, not racing it flat out. Any recommendations for a session over 16-17 miles that would benefit me training for a half (race is 5 weeks on from this Sunday).

I was thinking of some sort of progression run, but not sure how to structure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bought a new Garmin 2nd hand. Seems the watch doesn't sit correctly into the charger unless I'm being an idiot. This common?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Neera

Looking for some advice re food/staying full during runs. Did a half marathon a few weeks ago and used jellies as fuel about half way through but about 2 km later there was nothing left in the tank....felt shattered no energy at all. Yesterday during the Rock n Roll half I took a gel and felt so sick afterwards. Breakfast before a long run is normally a bowl of porridge with fruit and I try sip on some water as I'm going along but as I'm increasing the distance I find I'm really struggling with hunger and energy......Any words of wisdom for me??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Neera wrote: »
    Looking for some advice re food/staying full during runs. Did a half marathon a few weeks ago and used jellies as fuel about half way through but about 2 km later there was nothing left in the tank....felt shattered no energy at all. Yesterday during the Rock n Roll half I took a gel and felt so sick afterwards. Breakfast before a long run is normally a bowl of porridge with fruit and I try sip on some water as I'm going along but as I'm increasing the distance I find I'm really struggling with hunger and energy......Any words of wisdom for me??

Run most of your runs at a lower effort when training and possibly train a bit more. Unless you're taking 2hrs+ for a half you won't need to take anything when racing once you're better trained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Neera wrote: »

I think I more or less do the same. I've trained long runs but morning I think will have you more hungry than say an evening run as you've had lunch and dinner.
    I did the half yesterday and took with me a non caffeine gel and some fruit pastilles in a bag in a pocket. I left the sweets in the corner of my mouth and let them melt. Took the 1gel at 9km and didn't finish hungry and like you i had porridge and coffee at 730am

Ppl overdo it with gels I think, you see people with 6 or so at the start.
    Try your training long run in the morning to get used to what your body is telling you

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

RasTa wrote: »
    Bought a new Garmin 2nd hand. Seems the watch doesn't sit correctly into the charger unless I'm being an idiot. This common?

Mine is the same, Try using a clothes peg to hold the watch and charger together for better contact. Also the electrical contacts on the charger/watch might need a clean. If they are spring loaded give them a little push in and out with something pointy to free up the movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Neera

Thanks guys - a good half for me takes in 2:30 hrs - not the quickest! Rock n Roll was 2:49 due to the gel making me sick. I may just need to practice with some different gels/jellies - or eat a bigger brekkie!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

I'm just getting into running lately (I have primarily cycled for fitness until recently). Did a couch to 10k last Winter, and have been keeping up a bit (along with some cycling) during the year. I've kinda committed to doing a half marathon late September, and have pushed up to ten miles in distance for my longest run. Not a world beater by any means - wrong side of 50, and fastest time for 10k is about 54-55 mins.
    When starting running I did all my runs at more or less the same pace (a pace which was natural to me), but reading bits here I understand that mixing pace of runs, including long slow runs is important. Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, but I'm sure it's right. Have done some searching, but am a bit lazy in that regard.
    My question is - could somebody please provide me with a link to a basic guide or good article explaining the concept of building long slow runs (and other paced runs) into a program. I don't want to research it to death - just need the idiots guide so I can get my head around the concept, and understand it a bit better.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    My question is - could somebody please provide me with a link to a basic guide or good article explaining the concept of building long slow runs (and other paced runs) into a program. I don't want to research it to death - just need the idiots guide so I can get my head around the concept, and understand it a bit better.
    Thanks in advance.

http://www.runningforfitness.org/book/chapter-9-the-training-cookbook/long-slow-runs
    The LSD run has many benefits. First, it helps to adapt your joints and muscles to give them the endurance for long runs. Second, it improves your cardiovascular system, strengthens the heart and increases the blood supply in the muscles; it therefore enhances the body’s capacity to deliver oxygen to your muscles. Third, it enhances your body’s ability to burn fat as a source of energy. Fourth, it teaches your body to store more energy as glycogen in your muscles. And finally, long slow runs teach the body to run efficiently, minimising the energy expenditure needed to move you along. Even if you are not training for a marathon, the long slow distance run is a key element in your overall fitness programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'm currently following a half marathon training plan. Today's run is 12.1km at a buildup pace. I hurt my foot yesterday, not bad enough that I can't run, but it will be enough of a discomfort that I doubt I will be able to sustain the buildup pace for the entire run. Which is the better option for me, taking the wider scheme into account:

1. Do the 12.1km at a slower pace than buildup pace (it's not my first time doing 12.1km and it's not my longest distance - I've run 16km on the plan before. My buildup pace is 6min/km with an overall aim (according to the plan, personally I'll be just happy to finish) of finishing the half in September in 2hrs 08mins.

2. Not do the run and give the foot a break. My next run wouldn't be until Tuesday.

I would be thinking that 1. is the best option for the sake of the plan and the 2:08 finish, but I've no experience and am a novice. Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I'm currently following a half marathon training plan. Today's run is 12.1km at a buildup pace. I hurt my foot yesterday, not bad enough that I can't run, but it will be enough of a discomfort that I doubt I will be able to sustain the buildup pace for the entire run. Which is the better option for me, taking the wider scheme into account:

1. Do the 12.1km at a slower pace than buildup pace (it's not my first time doing 12.1km and it's not my longest distance - I've run 16km on the plan before. My buildup pace is 6min/km with an overall aim (according to the plan, personally I'll be just happy to finish) of finishing the half in September in 2hrs 08mins.

2. Not do the run and give the foot a break. My next run wouldn't be until Tuesday.

I would be thinking that 1. is the best option for the sake of the plan and the 2:08 finish, but I've no experience and am a novice. Thank you in advance

When is the HM?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    When is the HM?

Its 23rd September. Thank you

So I went out and did the run. Started off slower than recommended pace, but picked it up sufficiently throughout to make it to 12.1k with the right average pace (which was 6.23 btw, not 6 as I previously said)

Didn't feel pain when out and now that I'm back I'm not feeling any more than I was prior to going out. Let's wait and see. I was thinking better to do this run and then if I need to take a day off it can be tues as that's just a 5km jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

So I went out and did the run. Started off slower than recommended pace, but picked it up sufficiently throughout to make it to 12.1k with the right average pace (which was 6.23 btw, not 6 as I previously said)

Didn't feel pain when out and now that I'm back I'm not feeling any more than I was prior to going out. Let's wait and see. I was thinking better to do this run and then if I need to take a day off it can be tues as that's just a 5km jog.

Hopefully nothing serious Banana. Best of luck with your training!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Running Tullamore Half on Saturday and was debating about giving blood tonight.....in the past i have donated and trained as usual in the days after without any issues, but wondering if it would be better to leave it during a race week?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

healy1835 wrote: »
    Running Tullamore Half on Saturday and was debating about giving blood tonight.....in the past i have donated and trained as usual in the days after without any issues, but wondering if it would be better to leave it during a race week?

It takes up to 6 weeks for your iron levels to return to normal after a blood donation, so I'd leave it to next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

RayCun wrote: »
    It takes up to 6 weeks for your iron levels to return to normal after a blood donation, so I'd leave it to next week.

Thanks Ray....

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Which is best for the Marathon, a 2 or a 3 week taper?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I'm due to Dingle half which is in 2 weeks. I did my LSR yesterday of 18k and am training about 3-4 times a week so feel in good shape. Should yesterday be my last LSR before the race?? What should I do next Sunday? Conflicting reports on tapering for the half. A coach encouraged me to keep moving as much as possible on race week, whereas another coach encouraged me to rest up completely and just do a light 5k with strides a few days before race day. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

How long is your piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

How long is your piece of string?

I'm not one to boast.

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I'm due to Dingle half which is in 2 weeks. I did my LSR yesterday of 18k and am training about 3-4 times a week so feel in good shape. Should yesterday be my last LSR before the race?? What should I do next Sunday? Conflicting reports on tapering for the half. A coach encouraged me to keep moving as much as possible on race week, whereas another coach encouraged me to rest up completely and just do a light 5k with strides a few days before race day. Any suggestions?

Am also interested in this for further down the line. My plan for the 2 weeks before my half involves my last LSR 2 weeks before race. Then an 8k at race pace the Sunday before the race (6 days before race) and 8k either race pace or 1min/km slower than race pace on the Tuesday of race week (4 days before) and then a 4.8k slow jog on the Thursday (2 days before race)

Not sure if that's good or bad, but it's my 1st half so I'm not really concerned with times so much as I am with just getting it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

There is no such thing as a perfect taper. It's different for everyone.

A runner who tends to gain and lose fitness quickly needs a shorter taper than a slow responder.

An runner who trained particularly hard needs a more pronounced taper.

Longer distances might require a longer taper, though not everyone agrees on that.

Even your own requirements change, after a few years of running your ideal taper is probably different to the one from when you were a beginner.

So ... it depends. For a marathon 3 weeks is the most common taper but if that is your ideal taper is impossible to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Anyone know of a decent pair of running socks, the ones I have are chaffing a bit. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

jamesbere wrote: »
    Anyone know of a decent pair of running socks, the ones I have are chaffing a bit. Thanks in advance

I swear by Lidl's running socks. I have many different branded socks but Lidl are my go-to socks especially for long runs. They had them in about 2 weeks ago, maybe your local store would still have some. I think what works for one won't necessarily work for all though. You will get a variety of recommendations no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I dont wear running socks, should I?

I use penneys best Wilsons at the moment. No blisters so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

jamesbere wrote: »
    I have been running in the Nike Elite no-show cushioned Socks, I find them very good as the sizing range is better suited to me. Each range is only 1.5 sizes so 7.0-8.5 or 9-10.5 which fit better than other pairs with a 3 size range like 8-11.
    As i am a size 8.5 the elites fit very well and dont slip and they have a good amount of cushioning.

Only downside is they cost about €11 a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

beakerjoe wrote: »

Don't fix it if it's not broken....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

beakerjoe wrote: »

So have I... Cant fault them.

My physio did recommend a brand called 1000 miles socks and looked them up and they have great reviews so will prob take the plunge but I just bought a fresh pack of the Penneys best so just not right now... :)

Advertisement