Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I second the recommendation for the lidl ones. I bought two pairs recently after seeing them recommended here and they're brilliant. That said, all my previous socks have been bog standard multipack trainer-liner types from h&m and I've never had any problems or blisters, but the lidl running ones are definitely comfier.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love Decathlon running socks - lovely and soft and they last ages. I have a pair in my current sock rotation that were bought in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Cheers for recommendations I'll check out the lidl socks, actually might have them in the Cork city centre one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Since starting the marathon training, ive went through 3 or 4 brands. I used the normal ankle socks that everyone would normally have pairs of, I found them too thick and decided to try something a bit better. I bought a pair of the 1000 mile socks, found them fairly slippy due to the double layer but after some advice in a running shop I was told that would wear off after one or two washes, and it did and now I find them brilliant, normally use them for LSRs. 15 quid where I got them.

I bought a pair of HILLY socks aswell, not double layer and actually the Lite version and theyre a cracking sock. My feet sweat a lot so I need something light, these are perfect and comfy. 14 euro or 12 I think?? :confused:

After recommendations from this thread and the sock thread, LIDL were getting the socks in so I bought 5 pairs, just as well I like them :pac: Very like the HILLY ones and much cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Something I've wondered for a while now. In all of the races I've ran or watched I rarely see any elite, sub elites or even advanced runners listening to music. Is there a particular reason for this? Does the music not act as a distraction or should focus be on breathing etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Focus on the race, music is a distraction. Breathing, pace, when to push on, what are rivals doing all more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Something I've wondered for a while now. In all of the races I've ran or watched I rarely see any elite, sub elites or even advanced runners listening to music. Is there a particular reason for this? Does the music not act as a distraction or should focus be on breathing etc?

I don't know about elites, but its generally considered to be bad form in races. If you're listening to music you can't hear instructions from race marshals, or people warning you about upcoming obstacles or emergency services trying to get through.

I tend to listen to podcasts or music during training runs, but I'd never in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Since starting the marathon training, ive went through 3 or 4 brands. I used the normal ankle socks that everyone would normally have pairs of, I found them too thick and decided to try something a bit better. I bought a pair of the 1000 mile socks, found them fairly slippy due to the double layer but after some advice in a running shop I was told that would wear off after one or two washes, and it did and now I find them brilliant, normally use them for LSRs. 15 quid where I got them.

I bought a pair of HILLY socks aswell, not double layer and actually the Lite version and theyre a cracking sock. My feet sweat a lot so I need something light, these are perfect and comfy. 14 euro or 12 I think?? :confused:

After recommendations from this thread and the sock thread, LIDL were getting the socks in so I bought 5 pairs, just as well I like them :pac: Very like the HILLY ones and much cheaper!

I'm glad you like them that much, i've recommended them numerous times on these forums, i just love them that much, they need to start paying me really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm glad you like them that much, i've recommended them numerous times on these forums, i just love them that much, they need to start paying me really :D

On your recommendation ariana I bought a pair a couple of weeks ago in Lidl. They are so comfy. Raging I didn't buy more than one pair. Will be watching for them to come in again. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't know about elites, but its generally considered to be bad form in races. If you're listening to music you can't hear instructions from race marshals, or people warning you about upcoming obstacles or emergency services trying to get through.

I tend to listen to podcasts or music during training runs, but I'd never in a race.

During the Rock & Roll Half the ambulance was trying to get past the runners to get to a lady who had collapsed. This one runner was completely oblivious to anything around her cos she was wearing headphones and was right in the way of the ambulance before others managed to get her attention to move out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

ariana` wrote: »

Is it time already for another headphones debate :eek::confused::eek::confused:

On the Lidl socks - do they have them in stock the whole time or just randomly?

I've tried various brands over the years - Nike are decent but expensive, 1000 Mile socks didn't work for me at all.

The ones I've settled on now for ages are Hilly Mono Skin - find them brilliant and they last for yonks too. A bit on the pricey side but worth it imho - always scouring for them on Amazon as they go on offer occasionally.

Will try out the Lidl ones though if I get a chance

Apologies, relatively new to the forum and it's always something that interested me - whether people never have music, just have it in training and not in the race or just always use it.

Didn't realise it had been debated previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Apologies, relatively new to the forum and it's always something that interested me - whether people never have music, just have it in training and not in the race or just always use it.

Oh dont be silly, you looked for information and thats what these forums are for.

If we didnt ask questions that peeked our interest, then this place will be a boring dull place.

beakerjoe wrote:
    Oh dont be silly, you looked for information and thats what these forums are for.

Ah yeah but nobody wants to be THAT guy that rehashes old debates. Haha.

My own perspective is I always listen to music but starting to notice I'm the odd one out as I've moved up towards the front of the starting pack since my times have improved. Was wondering is it counter productive. I find it distracts me from the pain of fast 5k and 10k pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Hey, no worries....didn't mean to be sarky or narky at all, possibly used to wrong emojis on previous message.

It's been debated a fair few times alright and never seems to go anywhere other than around in circles (a bit like the other classic debate....should men be allowed dress up in drag for the Mini Marathon :D)

FWIW, I very occasionally listen to a podcast on a long run but wouldn't do it on a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Cartman78 wrote: »

The ones I've settled on now for ages are Hilly Mono Skin - find them brilliant and they last for yonks too. A bit on the pricey side but worth it imho - always scouring for them on Amazon as they go on offer occasionally.

The Hilly socks are often in Elverys for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Is it time already for another headphones debate :eek::confused::eek::confused:

On the Lidl socks - do they have them in stock the whole time or just randomly?

I've tried various brands over the years - Nike are decent but expensive, 1000 Mile socks didn't work for me at all.

Will try out the Lidl ones though if I get a chance

No, they just get them in when they have a running event on but there was one about 2 weeks ago so maybe they have some left over? They've some running stuff in again today but i don't see socks

I got their cycling ones too and they nice as well, similar but a bit more cushioned. They've cycling ones in next week but they look different to what i have so i'm not sure. They're higher, more like an ankle sock than what i'm used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Same, I listen to podcasts and very occasionally music in training, but for races I only use earphones for interval updates on pace and heartrate from MapMyRun app.

Some people will make playlists of music that's 90 or 180 bpm as a reference to match their running cadence to. I've done it with a metronome for a couple of practice runs but found I didn't really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

conti wrote: »
    Same, I listen to podcasts and very occasionally music in training, but for races I only use earphones for interval updates on pace and heartrate from MapMyRun app.

Some people will make playlists of music that's 90 or 180 bpm as a reference to match their running cadence to. I've done it with a metronome for a couple of practice runs but found I didn't really need it.

I listen to music when its not raining. I wore an ipod during my first marathon but you're missing out on the experience if you choose to wear during a race. I don't anymore.

It's a personal thing - I enjoy listening to podcasts and its a great opportunity to do so. When I have to concentrate on a high intensity session I will stick on a workout playlist most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

conti wrote: »
    I believe Spotify has a running feature that builds a playlist to match your cadence. I guess it uses your phone's accelerometer to figure that out.

Has anyone used it, any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I believe Spotify has a running feature that builds a playlist to match your cadence. I guess it uses your phone's accelerometer to figure that out.

+1 for this - I've been told spotify does this but I don't know how to set it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    +1 for this - I've been told spotify does this but I don't know how to set it up

Yes, I've used it! Just open Spotify and go to Browse, then one of the squares under 'Genres and Moods' is running. Within that it'll give you a bunch of options of different types of music, or suggest a playlist based on the other music you listen to. You just pick one and start running and it'll detect your tempo and start playing music accordingly. You can also adjust the tempo up or down and it will change to different music that matches whatever you select.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

eyrie wrote: »
    Yes, I've used it! Just open Spotify and go to Browse, then one of the squares under 'Genres and Moods' is running. Within that it'll give you a bunch of options of different types of music, or suggest a playlist based on the other music you listen to. You just pick one and start running and it'll detect your tempo and start playing music accordingly. You can also adjust the tempo up or down and it will change to different music that matches whatever you select.
    Ah brilliant, I must try it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm training for DCM. When it's done I'm thinking of starting a plan for the Raheny 5 in January which is obv a different animal in terms of the workouts.
    This is my first ever training plan.

In general , I'm thinking of spending from November to May/June working on faster shorter stuff then spending July to October working on marathon training each year.

Is this a sound idea? Does anyone else do this?

Will I still be able to max my potential at DCM doing this or would I need to focus on distance all year round to achieve that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

OK one for the 'older' runners...I'm 51 btw :(
    How often/ far do you run every week?
    I usually head out maybe 4 or 5 times a week..maybe 20-30k a week..depending on how busy I am...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I usually head out maybe 4 or 5 times a week..maybe 20-30k a week..depending on how busy I am...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Lazare wrote: »
    I'm training for DCM. When it's done I'm thinking of starting a plan for the Raheny 5 in January which is obv a different animal in terms of the workouts.
    This is my first ever training plan.

In general , I'm thinking of spending from November to May/June working on faster shorter stuff then spending July to October working on marathon training each year.

Is this a sound idea? Does anyone else do this?

Will I still be able to max my potential at DCM doing this or would I need to focus on distance all year round to achieve that?

It's probably the best way to do it really. I tried something similar last year and it worked a treat. If you have read through the logs you'll see it's a pattern followed by a lot of people. Just allow yourself plenty of time to recover from DCM this year - there's no rush to get back. Plenty of easy running until your fully recovered - 4 weeks maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ah great stuff! Cheers, that's what I was hoping to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Zipppy wrote: »
    Why the sad face? (I'm 52 btw) When in serious training I get out 6 or 7 days a week and do up to 110kms or so. Otherwise it would be 5 times a week and maybe 50 or 60k. My job isn't the worst for training. I do have 4 kids and a wife though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Zipppy wrote: »
    Why the sad face? (I'm 52 btw) When in serious training I get out 6 or 7 days a week and do up to 110kms or so. Otherwise it would be 5 times a week and maybe 50 or 60k. My job isn't the worst for training. I do have 4 kids and a wife though :)

Advertisement