Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

On the subject of falls, earlier year (Spring marathon training I think) I got up on a Sat morn at 6am for a long run. It was dark so I tip-toed out the bedroom so I wouldn't wake my wife, got changed in the bathroom and decided to walk down the stairs without the light on (a combination of laziness and still being half asleep) Missed a step and slid down the rest on my ass and cracked into the wall at the bottom......Which obviously woke my wife to much shock with the noise and swearing.

Anyway with the heart racing and only a few grazes and carpet burn, I decided I would soldier on with the run and went out. About 10 miles into the run I slipped on a bit of mud on the footpath and went head over heels again....quality cut to the knee and elbow and covered in muck.

Still managed to finish out the run for a good 18 or 19 miles but looked like something from Shaun of the Dead by the time I got home and the day after I was a bit tender!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

On the subject of falling a lot would it be worth getting a physio assessment. One of my kids is very clumsy, falls a lot and he was assessed by a physio turns out he's hypermobile (or double jointed to you and me). It effects his coordination and balance so now he has to do balance exercises and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I took a tumble during the summer. We were away in Portugal and I felt fairly smug getting up early a couple of mornings to get a short run in before the heat. The paths there are cobbled and slippy from wear and tear so I was taking it easy enough anyway. But I did trip myself up on them, but for some reason I didn't put out my left hand at all to stop me and so I landed down on my left arm and shoulder. I did put out my right hand to stop me but just ended up taking most of the force of my weight. Plus, and it seems to be the case for most falls, it happens in slow motion! Thankfully there was no one else around to witness as there had been people along my run returning home from the nightclub. I spent the rest of the day on a sun lounger by the pool feeling sorry for myself.

The young lad took a tumble in school last year. They were playing 40/40 or whatever it is the kids play nowadays. He didn't want to be "it" so he pegged it down the yard and down along the tarmac path. He tripped over his big fast feet and skidded down along the tarmac. He ripped open his chin, cut the skin on his hip and his hands. The poor teachers were as white as sheets when I collected him to bring him to A&E - himself was just happy that he was "so much faster than everyone one else"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I've had a few spills - nothing nasty mind you and always on footpaths. One time it was just a wet day and a fairly unused path was covered in some sort of green lichen/moss - might as well have been oil. I took a tumble during the Cork half last year during the first mile, but luckily I landed on the grass verge by the Atlantic pond - I just clipped my toe on a raised bit of the path - it might have been a crack caused by a tree root. I've had a couple more falls and a lot of stumbles - usually towards the end of a longish run when I'm tired and not picking my feet up and it tends to be on my weaker side.
    I also notice that sometimes I clip my left ankle with my right foot too - so all is not right with my gait I think.
    As I've gotten stronger it's less of an issue though. I was almost scuffing the ground with my right foot at times, so I worked on just not doing that - basically tried to pick my feet up a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

RayCun wrote: »
    the Speaker Connolly? You should be joining those club runners!

To be fair, I've fallen down outside The Speaker a few times, but that's a whole other story...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Would anyone on here maybe have picked up some spare pace bands at the DCM expo last year? I'm looking for a 3hr & 3:05 bands. My homemade bands have been hit and miss previously and I wouldn't like to rely on/queue for ages for the Asics Pace Your Race bands at the Berlin Expo. Unless of course the set up in Berlin is a lot smoother than DCM a couple years ago and there's not generally a long wait??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Are there any tales/stories of people taking up the sport at 40 or thereabouts and going on to achieve great things in terms of pbs?

I'm 41 now, attempting my first marathon at DCM and on track for a sub 4. Can I realistically dream of a sub 3 in the next decade or has that ship sailed?

Really wish I'd taken this game up 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Lazare wrote: »
    Are there any tales/stories of people taking up the sport at 40 or thereabouts and going on to achieve great things in terms of pbs?

I'm 41 now, attempting my first marathon at DCM and on track for a sub 4. Can I realistically dream of a sub 3 in the next decade or has that ship sailed?

Ya joking us? I started running 10 years ago at the age of 42 and got the sub 3 in Cork this year. Hopefully more to come. You have every chance of hitting that target. With smart training and plenty of miles - and a positive attitude! - there is no reason you can't do it. Don't set limits, set goals. Sorry for the last cheesy bit.

Itziger wrote: »
    Ya joking us? I started running 10 years ago at the age of 42 and got the sub 3 in Cork this year. Hopefully more to come. You have every chance of hitting that target. With smart training and plenty of miles - and a positive attitude! - there is no reason you can't do it. Don't set limits, set goals. Sorry for the last cheesy bit.

Brilliant stuff!!!

Actually had you in mind when I read how old you were upthread. Delighted to hear you started later than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

If you really want to see what can be done: read Krusty's training log.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Brilliant stuff!!!

Actually had you in mind when I read how old you were upthread. Delighted to hear you started later than me.

U wot m8?

U wot m8?
    Why the sad face? (I'm 52 btw) When in serious training I get out 6 or 7 days a week and do up to 110kms or so. Otherwise it would be 5 times a week and maybe 50 or 60k. My job isn't the worst for training. I do have 4 kids and a wife though :)

Probably should have phrased it 'when I read your age'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

healy1835 wrote: »
    Would anyone on here maybe have picked up some spare pace bands at the DCM expo last year? I'm looking for a 3hr & 3:05 bands. My homemade bands have been hit and miss previously and I wouldn't like to rely on/queue for ages for the Asics Pace Your Race bands at the Berlin Expo. Unless of course the set up in Berlin is a lot smoother than DCM a couple years ago and there's not generally a long wait??

Just get it at the Berlin expo. Last year you could enter your details at the below site and print it at the expo. Didn't take long at all.

https://paceyourrace.asics.com/

They are not really reusable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

adrian522 wrote: »
    Just get it at the Berlin expo. Last year you could enter your details at the below site and print it at the expo. Didn't take long at all.

https://paceyourrace.asics.com/

They are not really reusable though.

Thanks, that's all i needed to know :) yeah used the Asics band at DCM a couple of years ago, they're a better option than my homemade attempts for sure!. Getting close now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

healy1835 wrote: »
    Thanks, that's all i needed to know :) yeah used the Asics band at DCM a couple of years ago, they're a better option than my homemade attempts for sure!. Getting close now :)

Try this, you dont actually have to buy the band, you can copy&paste and make your own. you can have a band that takes the elevation of the course into account. I used one for Dublin last year and found it spot on.

http://www.findmymarathon.com/paceband.php

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Has anyone run in Pula, Croatia? Have 3 runs to do, including a LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Has anyone run in Pula, Croatia? Have 3 runs to do, including a LSR.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/hr/pula-istarska/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Hi what's the most popular amount of carbohydrates to eat before a long run, I usually do my long run in the afternoon or evening, so didn't usually worry about having a big carb meal, but this morning I had a few hours to spare so I set out for my 3 HR long run, I'd only had a cup of coffee and couple of rice cakes for breakfast, I brought a drink and a bag of jelly's and thought I'd be fine, but at 2.45 hrs my legs were like the jelly's 😠and I had nothing left, the only time I felt like that was the last few miles of my first marathon, any advice appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

avfc1874 wrote: »
    Hi what's the most popular amount of carbohydrates to eat before a long run, I usually do my long run in the afternoon or evening, so didn't usually worry about having a big carb meal, but this morning I had a few hours to spare so I set out for my 3 HR long run, I'd only had a cup of coffee and couple of rice cakes for breakfast, I brought a drink and a bag of jelly's and thought I'd be fine, but at 2.45 hrs my legs were like the jelly's 😠and I had nothing left, the only time I felt like that was the last few miles of my first marathon, any advice appreciated thanks

It differs from person to person, but a bowl of porridge does me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

For anyone targeting 5k and 10k racing is there an optimum distance for the weekly LSR? Is there any benefit to going beyond 2 hours? Or is it the same as marathon training where up to 3 hours on the feet has benefits?

Also is it best to keep as LSR or should there be pace stuff or progressive pacing mixed in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

For anyone targeting 5k and 10k racing is there an optimum distance for the weekly LSR? Is there any benefit to going beyond 2 hours? Or is it the same as marathon training where up to 3 hours on the feet has benefits?

Also is it best to keep as LSR or should there be pace stuff or progressive pacing mixed in?

The Faster Road Racing 5k and 10k plans max out at 15 miles, and that's the 60-76 miles per week 10k plan. Most folks doing that kind of milage should be doing the 15 miles in close to or less than two hours. The long runs in the plans are supposed to be started at the easier end of easy and work their way to fast easy / steady. Spending 3 hours on your feet will benefit your endurance, but will take a bit more time to recover from and probably compromise the faster stuff you need to be doing in 5k/10k plans.

Singer wrote:
    The Faster Road Racing 5k and 10k plans max out at 15 miles, and that's the 60-76 miles per week 10k plan. Most folks doing that kind of milage should be doing the 15 miles in close to or less than two hours. The long runs in the plans are supposed to be started at the easier end of easy and work their way to fast easy / steady. Spending 3 hours on your feet will benefit your endurance, but will take a bit more time to recover from and probably compromise the faster stuff you need to be doing in 5k/10k plans.

Thanks for the feedback. It's one of the runs that has confused me the most. Been reading a lot on here and other places online but it's hard to differentiate between marathon runners and 5k/10k runners.

I had been doing a mix of lsr runs (10 mile to 15mile at easy pace) and every now and then mixing in a 10 mile progressive run.

Seems like I'm not a million miles off.

i don't see much point running for more than 90 minutes if you're training for 10k

RayCun wrote:
    i don't see much point running for more than 90 minutes if you're training for 10k

What do you lose by running the extra 30mins? Recovery?

I guess in the back of my mind I'm thinking of moving up to half and full towards the second half of next year so was wondering would the longer lsr benefit both.

What do you lose by running the extra 30mins? Recovery?

It's extra effort that you could be using in some other part of your training.

If you run 90 minutes regularly, you'll be well set up for when you start to run longer for half/marathon training.

Thanks a mill. I really should just set up a training log. I tend to come into this thread any time I have questions, and there are many many questions!

Also, that 90 mins. ..lsr or mixed stuff?

Also, that 90 mins. ..lsr or mixed stuff?

depends on what else you are doing during the week, but I'd go for 90 minutes at an easy pace and have the sessions separate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

When racing with a GPS watch, do you use auto-lap (beeps every km/mile) or manual lap (when you get to mile marker).

I've been using auto-lap but find it becomes distracting when I inevitably 'run long' and my watch is giving me my mile split before I've reached the marker.

Maybe setting auto-lap to 1.01mi would solve this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do you know what's more distracting than your own watch counting down the k's? The person's that you're running along side. Feckers, gives you an incentive to push away from them though.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

What happened to Run the Kingdom? Did yer man sell the name or something?

Advertisement