Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Has anybody here run the Chester marathon? I'm doing it in 5 weeks but know shag all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

When racing with a GPS watch, do you use auto-lap (beeps every km/mile) or manual lap (when you get to mile marker).

I use autolap - it is on for training, I leave it on for races.
    Races are often marked in miles and I use kms, and I don't always see the markers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

When racing with a GPS watch, do you use auto-lap (beeps every km/mile) or manual lap (when you get to mile marker).

I've been using auto-lap but find it becomes distracting when I inevitably 'run long' and my watch is giving me my mile split before I've reached the marker.

Maybe setting auto-lap to 1.01mi would solve this?

Garmin have an app that allows you to manually split and this resets the distance on your watch data (I've never used it).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Garmin have an app that allows you to manually split and this resets the distance on your watch data (I've never used it).

Just hit the lap button to reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I've been using auto-lap but find it becomes distracting when I inevitably 'run long' and my watch is giving me my mile split before I've reached the marker.

Maybe setting auto-lap to 1.01mi would solve this?
    Record the splits but do not beep, especially when racing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I leave the beeping for auto laps on. Wakes me up at bit if I've been loosing focus a bit and dropping the pace, also alerts me to keep an eye out for the next mile marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I'm toying with the idea of doing some races abroad, just for the experience and also to seek out a fast flat course.
    For the marathon I think I've settled on Frankfurt - right time of year, have heard great reports from multiple sources etc. Failing that I'd be looking for something fast and flat with cool temps in November/December maybe. Some random French lad recommended La Rochelle in late November to me when I was on holidays a couple of years ago (a very strained conversation in broken French and broken English started by this fella pointing to my Garmin , saying something about "courir" while making running movements with his arms. We managed to understand each other in the end), but I don't think it's that easy to get to from here in the winter.

I was also looking at the Berlin Half in April - has anyone here ever run this? Again, it's at the right time of year and I wouldn't mind visiting Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

I'm toying with the idea of doing some races abroad, just for the experience and also to seek out a fast flat course.
    For the marathon I think I've settled on Frankfurt - right time of year, have heard great reports from multiple sources etc. Failing that I'd be looking for something fast and flat with cool temps in November/December maybe. Some random French lad recommended La Rochelle in late November to me when I was on holidays a couple of years ago (a very strained conversation in broken French and broken English started by this fella pointing to my Garmin , saying something about "courir" while making running movements with his arms. We managed to understand each other in the end), but I don't think it's that easy to get to from here in the winter.

I was also looking at the Berlin Half in April - has anyone here ever run this? Again, it's at the right time of year and I wouldn't mind visiting Berlin.

I've run the Berlin half twice and am already registered for next April. Very flat and decent weather. Sean Hehir ran 65 this year.
    I'm staying in Alexanderplatz, start and finish right beside it. You won't regret it!

And to add an amazing city that's easy to get around.

Wottle wrote: »
    I've run the Berlin half twice and am already registered for next April. Very flat and decent weather. Sean Hehir ran 65 this year.
    I'm staying in Alexanderplatz, start and finish right beside it. You won't regret it!

And to add an amazing city that's easy to get around.

Cheers!! I've gone from 75% to 95% sure now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

Cheers!! I've gone from 75% to 95% sure now!

This will be my 6th time between half and full. My wife comes with and loves the city also. Big Decathlon shop in Alexanderplatz as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I was looking in the races thread but don't see too many races listed for September. Anyone aware of any races between 10k & HM in the next couple of weeks in the Munster region

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

HigginsJ wrote:
    I was looking in the races thread but don't see too many races listed for September. Anyone aware of any races between 10k & HM in the next couple of weeks in the Munster region

Killarney 10 mile and Charleville Half are two that spring immediately to mind.

Killarney 10 mile and Charleville Half are two that spring immediately to mind.

Lol, I probably should have said aside from those 2.

HigginsJ wrote:
    Lol, I probably should have said aside from those 2.

Have a look online at munsterrunning.blogspot

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

HigginsJ wrote: »

There is a 10k in Dunmore East, Waterford on the 30th. They also just announced a 10k on the same date for Causeway, Co.Kerry

Running in Munster and Run Ireland events page are probably your best bet.

I think I saw a poster somewhere for a 10k in Tournafulla, Limerick next weekend! I'll see if I can remember :-)

Anything in here that takes your fancy?

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/p/calendar.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's a site I've used before that will create a Google calendar for the Hal Higdon training plans but only for the half, marathon and 5k I think it is. Anyone know of anything similar for the 10 mile plan?

I watched the Great North Run on the BBC this morning, now could be just me but the sheer number of people would really put me off doing an event like that. How do you find space to run your own race or is it even possible in an event like that, outside of the elites of course.

Speaking of the elites Mo Farah running away from the NZ lad in the last 400 metres was hugely impressive. Putting thoughts or opinions of Mo & his trainer to one side how do people expect him to fair at the marathon distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's pretty grim if you run roughly a 2 hour half, I didn’t feel like I had space to move at all for the first 11-12 miles in 2014. Swore never again after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

I watched the Great North Run on the BBC this morning, now could be just me but the sheer number of people would really put me off doing an event like that. How do you find space to run your own race or is it even possible in an event like that, outside of the elites of course.

Speaking of the elites Mo Farah running away from the NZ lad in the last 400 metres was hugely impressive. Putting thoughts or opinions of Mo & his trainer to one side how do people expect him to fair at the marathon distance?

I'd be surprised if he won a major or broke WR. His pb's at 5k and 10k are nothing special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

I'd be surprised if he won a major or broke WR. His pb's at 5k and 10k are nothing special.

Despite this his HM is probably up there with his 1500m best to be honest. He has lost a second on his closing speed but he seems to be in around his best 10k shape.

I could well see him going to 2.04/2.05 range though wouldn't put him in the running against the likes of the lads running Berlin this month but definitely able to compete in majors with a good agent pulling the strings to avoid the big three.

Just hoping London marathon never adopt the approach the the likes of the track races have and line him up against a sub par field

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Just hoping London marathon never adopt the approach the the likes of the track races have and line him up against a sub par field

London are notorious for going to great lengths in trying to get the best field possible, so that's thankfully unlikely. It would be a major blow to London's prestige. I really hope they will never be stupid enough for trying to set up the race purely for Mo.

Interestingly, the Chicago marathon this year has been accused of doing exactly that to set up up a potential win for Mo's training partner, Galen Rupp.

Was just curious, how do people on this forum normally structure their year when it comes to running? How do you approach the blocks of training e.g. do people spend the first few months of the year base building, then going into a specific training block with target race in mind and then do a down period? Or do people target multiple distances/improvements within the year? Would be interested to hear different philosophies to the year as a whole. (applies to all runners from 100m to ultra-marathon runners)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Was just curious, how do people on this forum normally structure their year when it comes to running? How do you approach the blocks of training e.g. do people spend the first few months of the year base building, then going into a specific training block with target race in mind and then do a down period? Or do people target multiple distances/improvements within the year? Would be interested to hear different philosophies to the year as a whole. (applies to all runners from 100m to ultra-marathon runners)
    I really just structure around whatever race I'm targeting and don't worry about hat's after that, this year was spring marathon and autumn marathon so 2 blocks of 14 weeks for specific marathon stuff, in between (May-Jul) was speed stuff aiming at improving 5k/10k times. Last year I tried middle distance for the 1st half of the year and then just logged miles in the 2nd half (threw in 2x HM as well) while training with Mrs S_R to run DCM with her.  
    It will be different for everyone depending on their distance/experience/competitive level, I know the track guys (sprints/middle distance) will structure their training to peak during the summer

I really just structure around whatever race I'm targeting and don't worry about hat's after that, this year was spring marathon and autumn marathon so 2 blocks of 14 weeks for specific marathon stuff, in between (May-Jul) was speed stuff aiming at improving 5k/10k times. Last year I tried middle distance for the 1st half of the year and then just logged miles in the 2nd half (threw in 2x HM as well) while training with Mrs S_R to run DCM with her.  
    It will be different for everyone depending on their distance/experience/competitive level, I know the track guys (sprints/middle distance) will structure their training to peak during the summer

Thats interesting. And for the May-Jul period did you focus mostly on intervals & speed sessions and reduce the length of the LSR and tempo sessions?

Tend to be a fan of keeping mileage high and racing frequent (19 in the last 11 months) if you tweak training weeks you can race a good bit without compromising training around it and I think there is a mental strength from racing you won't get from training. Racing is like anything you jcan ed plenty of practice to get good at it.

I think most of us probably tend to try to be too clever with our training that we overlook some of the benefits that don't fit in to nice neat boxes regarding training or physiological stimulus part of the reason I think XC should be mandatory for runners to get down to hard work without overthinking it too much

Not a fan of base phase in the traditional sense (lots of easy paced miles) I think you need to prepare the yourself for demands going forward (high speed running does not have to be intense if you manage recoveries right)

Tend to be a fan of keeping mileage high and racing frequent (19 in the last 11 months) if you tweak training weeks you can race a good bit without compromising training around it and I think there is a mental strength from racing you won't get from training. Racing is like anything you jcan ed plenty of practice to get good at it.
    )

I presume those are mostly HM and lower and not Marathons? Do you take any extended "down time"?

I presume those are mostly HM and lower and not Marathons? Do you take any extended "down time"?

Majority were 5k to 10 mile, was supposed to be doing marathon but pulled out for non running related reasons

Didn't actively take break from racing but with holidays and etc tends to take breaks of a week or two (not off just easy) 3 two or three times a week

Coach has advocated this approach he himself usually back racing 4-5 weeks post marathon and regularly racing in between marathon cycles to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Thats interesting. And for the May-Jul period did you focus mostly on intervals & speed sessions and reduce the length of the LSR and tempo sessions?

Exactly, w/end long runs of 10-12 miles and a lot more speed sessions @ 1-5k paces specific to 5km training and short tempos, would try to do a good few 5k races with at least 1 10k,

Advertisement