Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Exactly, w/end long runs of 10-12 miles and a lot more speed sessions @ 1-5k paces specific to 5km training and short tempos, would try to do a good few 5k races with at least 1 10k,

That sounds like an approach I'd really like. Currently trying to decide how to structure my training next year. Spent most of this year improving 5k and 10k times. Would love to move up to half and full but fear losing some of the speed I have developed this year.

Was considering Jan to March half marathon block, April and May 5k and 10k focus and then June to Oct, my first marathon block. I'm actually not sure is there much difference between HM and 5k/10k training apart from longer long runs and longer tempos.

Decisions decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Exactly, w/end long runs of 10-12 miles and a lot more speed sessions @ 1-5k paces specific to 5km training and short tempos, would try to do a good few 5k races with at least 1 10k,

That sounds like an approach I'd really like. Currently trying to decide how to structure my training next year. Spent most of this year improving 5k and 10k times. Would love to move up to half and full but fear losing some of the speed I have developed this year.

Was considering Jan to March half marathon block, April and May 5k and 10k focus and then June to Oct,  my first marathon block. I'm actually not sure is there much difference between HM and 5k/10k training apart from longer long runs and longer tempos.

Decisions decisions!
    For me HM training is similar to marathon training - longer miles (15-18 mile LSR max) and tempos (20-40mins) but with faster interval training (200/400s instead of 400/800/1200)
    Have you done a half/full before? If not and DCM18 will be your first marathon then a sensible approach might be to spend Jan-Jun building up a solid base - you could still do 5/10k races but not worry about PBs. I found last year I spent the 2nd half of the year doing all slow slow miles (25-30mpw) I had the base to do the training for Rotterdam, one of my best training cycles ever hitting 60 mpw regularly  (before this if I went above 35mpw I would always get injured) with no injuries taking 4 minutes off my 10 mile and HM times en route. 
    Other more experienced runners here could give guidelines on what the best program for base training is but a gradual increase in miles over the months would be the way to go. This will build up stamina - you can always build back up the speed afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Was considering Jan to March half marathon block, April and May 5k and 10k focus and then June to Oct, my first marathon block. I'm actually not sure is there much difference between HM and 5k/10k training apart from longer long runs and longer tempos.

Decisions decisions!

I wouldn't personally differentiate too much in the training as you can run a very good 5k off half training (ran within 3 seconds of my PB over 5k 10 days after PB'ing over 10 miles back in Feb)

Some of the sessions I did in build up to it were;

6x5 min @ 10k effort (3 min recovery)
    20x400 (40 sec recoveries - jog 100m)
    8x3m min @ 10k effort (75 second recovery)
    3 x(3x600m @ 5k pace 75 sec recovery) 3 min between sets
    5x3 min @ 10k (75 sec rec) 3 min break, 4x30 sec @ 5k pace (60 sec)
    6km tempo (3 x 1km @ HM/1km@MP continuous)
    8x1 mile @ HM (2 min recovery)

Obviously these can be scaled to your own training volume and background but aside from these mileage was kept decently high and long runs were between 12-16 miles

Have you done a half/full before? If not and DCM18 will be your first marathon then a sensible approach might be to spend Jan-Jun building up a solid base - you could still do 5/10k races but not worry about PBs.

I have done five half's in my lifetime but never a full. I have been training since 2010 but proper running with structure since January. I run between 35-45 miles per week. With mileage like that already, would I need to do base building for a full do you think? I would hope to be close to the 50 mile per week region between Jan-March.

I wouldn't personally differentiate too much in the training as you can run a very good 5k off half training (ran within 3 seconds of my PB over 5k 10 days after PB'ing over 10 miles back in Feb)

Some of the sessions I did in build up to it were;

6x5 min @ 10k effort (3 min recovery)
    20x400 (40 sec recoveries - jog 100m)
    8x3m min @ 10k effort (75 second recovery)
    3 x(3x600m @ 5k pace 75 sec recovery) 3 min between sets
    5x3 min @ 10k (75 sec rec) 3 min break, 4x30 sec @ 5k pace (60 sec)
    6km tempo (3 x 1km @ HM/1km@MP continuous)
    8x1 mile @ HM (2 min recovery)

Obviously these can be scaled to your own training volume and background but aside from these mileage was kept decently high and long runs were between 12-16 miles

Some great sessions there. Thanks a mill. I love the mix.

That's what I was thinking with regards to next year. That the half/5k/10k training would more or less compliment eachother as I would still be doing fast intervals, longish tempo runs and some sort of LSR/Progressive LSR/Long run with "stuff".

Maybe I'm talking out of my arse. Looking forward to reading some of Pfitzinger and Daniels stuff. Might give me a bit more clarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

If a fellas mind was drifting occasionally to post DCM17 thoughts, and he was interested in finding out about medium to high volume, low intensity heart rate based ultra (50k - 70k) training, where would the best place be for him to start reading about such things? Books, boards threads, websites... Don't mind. For a friend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

JohnDozer wrote: »
    If a fellas mind was drifting occasionally to post DCM17 thoughts, and he was interested in finding out about medium to high volume, low intensity heart rate based ultra (50k - 70k) training, where would the best place be for him to start reading about such things? Books, boards threads, websites... Don't mind. For a friend...

https://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf

Despite being labelled for marathon training would work really well at ticking the box for what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Salty sweat. Is it an issue? Caked today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

RasTa wrote: »
    Salty sweat. Is it an issue? Caked today

Just make sure to rehydrate well and take in some electrolytes - Lucozade Sport, High 5 or Nuun tablets. Is it warm out today where you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just make sure to rehydrate well and take in some electrolytes - Lucozade Sport, High 5 or Nuun tablets. Is it warm out today where you are?

No wouldn't call it warm. I thought it was to do with drinking too much water.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    No wouldn't call it warm. I thought it was to do with drinking too much water.

Some people are just salty sweaters. I get salt caked on my face, behind my ears, all over my glasses etc. It's usually worse when it's very warm. I just make sure to rehydrate properly with an electrolyte drink afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'm doing a half marathon next Saturday but woke up this morning with a sore throat. Panicking that it is the start of a cold and the OH is sniffling and sneezing all over the place!!!! :(:( What's my best hope - I've got a week to go so plenty of time to do something hopefully?

Lots of water, lots of sleep, keep warm, lots of vitamins. But should I also keep running? Was supposed to do 5k today and I didn't. 8k tomorrow, 8k Tuesday and 5k Thursday according to my plan. Is it best to rest and focus on not letting this sore throat get any worse or should I get out there and do those last few runs as well as trying to get through it.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I'm doing a half marathon next Saturday but woke up this morning with a sore throat. Panicking that it is the start of a cold and the OH is sniffling and sneezing all over the place!!!! :(:( What's my best hope - I've got a week to go so plenty of time to do something hopefully?

Lots of water, lots of sleep, keep warm, lots of vitamins. But should I also keep running? Was supposed to do 5k today and I didn't. 8k tomorrow, 8k Tuesday and 5k Thursday according to my plan. Is it best to rest and focus on not letting this sore throat get any worse or should I get out there and do those last few runs as well as trying to get through it.

Rest, you won't really lose fitness. A week is loads of time, don't give up hope! Do try and get out a day or two before to see how how things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Singer wrote: »
    Rest, you won't really lose fitness. A week is loads of time, don't give up hope! Do try and get out a day or two before to see how how things are.

Thanks for the reply. Will do just as you say. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

When racing a good source of those electrolytes is already on your face.

ger664 wrote:
    When racing a good source of those electrolytes is already on your face.

Very true!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

ive just started running and im very slow whats the best thing to do to ensure i get faster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

slingerz wrote: »
    ive just started running and im very slow whats the best thing to do to ensure i get faster

Train more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Plenty of training. The more you do it, the more you will see gains. You may not see any at first but as the weeks go by you'll see small imrovements that eventually build up.

A good diet helps. The better you eat and the more you run, the more you'll gain.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Train more.

That's genuinely the best advice. Just run more...Best route to getting faster as a beginner is to just run more miles...Then start thinking about introducing some intervals etc into the training. But initially, just run more. More miles and more days running.

• Advertisement

Keep doing what your doing, but just more of it. Don't fall into to trap of trying to beat your time every time you go for a run. Don't increase your mileage too dramatically in the beginning - the general rule of thumb is increase weekly mileage by 10% a week. Start doing some strength and conditioning exercises once or twice a week (says he who doesn't really, but it does help). Don't be in a hurry. You'll get faster by running slow in training and developing your aerobic engine. You could introduce speed work and interval training, but I'd have a few weeks of base built before trying that out. Avoid running too far too fast too soon - that'll get you injured before you even start. Just get out there and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Ed McGroarty

Do spinning classes benefit runners?
    (Or do they just make you dizzy😉)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

(Or do they just make you dizzy��)

anything that makes you fitter would benefit you, far better off going out for a run though

Do spinning classes benefit runners? (Or do they just make you dizzy😉)

They would definitely count as an effective cross training tool which you see in most running plans. But the best way to improve running is to run more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Ed McGroarty

IvoryTower wrote: »
    anything that makes you fitter would benefit you, far better off going out for a run though

I agree but the wife didnt ask me to go for a run with her unfortunately ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Lads, I don't know what's going on but I used to be good at running... I did a HM in late 2015 and then in 2016 started training for a marathon but hurt my leg. Getting back into it now but did a 16k there two days ago and it was in 1.40... I was gutted. I am due to do 18k tomorrow. Did 8k yesterday in 45m. Should I try to focus on building up speed and forget the long runs for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I agree but the wife didnt ask me to go for a run with her unfortunately ☺

tell her no, that youre a professional amateur runner and you cant be wasting your time and energy spinning. let me know how you get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

never_mind wrote: »
    Lads, I don't know what's going on but I used to be good at running... I did a HM in late 2015 and then in 2016 started training for a marathon but hurt my leg. Getting back into it now but did a 16k there two days ago and it was in 1.40... I was gutted. I am due to do 18k tomorrow. Did 8k yesterday in 45m. Should I try to focus on building up speed and forget the long runs for now?

Au Contraire, my friend. You should utterly forget about times until you're in decent shape and even then you should only worry about time on specific workouts, not every run. Most runs (approx 5/7) should be easy.

How long have you been back?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Itziger wrote: »
    Au Contraire, my friend. You should utterly forget about times until you're in decent shape and even then you should only worry about time on specific workouts, not every run. Most runs (approx 5/7) should be easy.

How long have you been back?

Hard to explain but I never stopped properly... I just kind of started only running 2x a week and for short distances. I did something to my leg and the physio just kept saying pilates this and pilates that though I have zero interest... I just want to run!

I am worried about the 18k. I feel like I am aerobically fine to do it but it's more my legs and feet get quite sore. But I am gaining weight although my diet is quiet good.. just from lack of exercise. I need to get down by a stone in a month for a wedding. Eugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

(Or do they just make you dizzy��)

Someone who is still relatively new to running will definitely get some benefits from a spinning class.

You? Not really. You can do a spinning class as long as it doesn't interfere with your running but I wouldn't expect any noticeable benefits.

Advertisement