Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

jameshayes wrote: »
    3 weeks of progression followed by a week rest is always a good formula.. so if you increased your milage for the last 3 weeks you should consider doing maybe a 12k next week then bump to your 21 the following week

Sounds good. Might do the following:

8k on Tuesday
    5k on Wednesday
    12 k on Saturday

Feel like I'm getting my grove back. I am not going to be touching the scales til I have a bit more running done. I just need to focus on limiting calories. On a Low-Gi diet but ya know... I am a divil for the pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

ger664 wrote: »
    Do you enjoy/look forward to the 8 mile runs ?

Kinda? I tend to play it by ear when I go out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

'Different types of runner'? Does anyone else here feel that they simply do not enjoy long runs?while some can run 15 or 20 miles fairly routinely? I've realised while training for the D.C.M (and my 3rd marathon overall) that simply do not enjoy long runs,especially alone. Mentally i just find them very hard. I'll attend traning sessions and even 'boot-camp' 4 times a week and run 8 or 10 miles on a sunday no problem. Half-Marathons are by extension no problem. But Im hating the 14 ,18 and 20 miles of this marathon plan. I just don't enjoy them. Look it's nearly over and I'll see this one out,probably really enjoying the marathon itself. But it's my final one,ever I think.

More than anything just wanted to 'vent' and thanks for reading!
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Spirogyra wrote: »
    'Different types of runner'? Does anyone else here feel that they simply do not enjoy long runs?while some can run 15 or 20 miles fairly routinely? I've realised while training for the D.C.M (and my 3rd marathon overall) that simply do not enjoy long runs,especially alone. Mentally i just find them very hard. I'll attend traning sessions and even 'boot-camp' 4 times a week and run 8 or 10 miles on a sunday no problem. Half-Marathons are by extension no problem. But Im hating the 14 ,18 and 20 miles of this marathon plan. I just don't enjoy them. Look it's nearly over and I'll see this one out,probably really enjoying the marathon itself. But it's my final one,ever I think.

S

Gary O'Hanlon was telling us at a training talk that he hates long solo runs. If he can't find someone to run with he'll go do a race instead, anything more than an hour on his own drives him crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

S
    I'm in the same boat. I did 29km yesterday, i was ok til 18/20km but after that i started to crack up. I think it's more mental than physical although i was getting a bit sore and tired too. I wear head-phones for the LSR, the only time i do, i just put in 1 ear so i can still hear traffic. I think 10km - half marathons might be a better distance for me. But i've learned so much on this plan and gained so much by following a structured plan that i have no regrets. And hopefully i'll be a marathon runner at the end of it as well :eek: Not long to go now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Kinda? I tend to play it by ear when I go out though.

I you don't enjoy doing something I see no point in doing it.

For me the majority of my long [slow] runs are solo due to work/life, never an issue with doing them and enjoy the winddown time these runs give.

Now 10/12 miles @ MP thats a different beast altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

'Different types of runner'? Does anyone else here feel that they simply do not enjoy long runs?
    Injury put pay to my spring marathon attempt, but really wasn't enjoying the lsr's. Found them really boring - nothing to do with being alone, I'd quite happily do a solo 6 hour cycle. Deferred my entry to 2018, so might still go for it, but the thoughts of the long slow miles is already putting me off to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I find running alone on lsr tough - much easier in a group , even if you're not talking the company keeps you going. Having said that I always try to do 1 or 2 long runs on my own more for mental training than anything else - on race day even tough there are a lot of people around you its still you at your pace so I find it helps.
    If lsr is not your thing there is nothing wrong with sticking to 5k/10k/HM and trying to get faster - longer does not always equal better. Main thing is to enjoy it and you'll stick at it longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

ger664 wrote: »
    I you don't enjoy doing something I see no point in doing it.

For me the majority of my long [slow] runs are solo due to work/life, never an issue with doing them and enjoy the winddown time these runs give.

Now 10/12 miles @ MP thats a different beast altogether

I'd be the same. In fact I don't think I've ever done a long run with company, and I'm not sure at this stage if I'd like too. I do listen to music though, although I have done one or two without.
    I can see the benefit in doing the longer MP stuff with company to help you along, but if you can't then you have to put up with it I suppose. That being said, I really enjoy them when they go well. And when the don't - at least there's no one there to witness it!
    I tend to look forward to long runs, until maybe the day before and can be quite apprehensive sometimes, but once I get going and get a couple of miles in I'm fine most of the time.

RayCun wrote: »
    Gary O'Hanlon was telling us at a training talk that he hates long solo runs. If he can't find someone to run with he'll go do a race instead, anything more than an hour on his own drives him crazy.

Interesting. I'm hating it now. Planning to do a final 20 miler in a few days and that will be it, forever. This 'plan' has made it abundantly clear that I will not do this again. I'm 'good' 'established runner' but just cannot cope with the tedium of those very long training runs.

It'll be my 3rd marathon and although I did ok in previous one's,I struggled with the lsr as well.

The marathon day and weekend is a different story, there's a buzz and excitement,but in the lsr there's none of that to 'carry me'.

Hopefully, probably I'll see out this DCM, it would be a shame to have come this far and not to do, but never again.

Enjoy my 5 and 10K's plus the odd 'half'...

• Advertisement

Running in the Phoenix Park:

I've never had the opportunity to train in the Phoenix Park, but obviously I've race in it a few times. I might have the opportunity to do so in a few weeks for my last long run before Dublin. I have a couple of questions:

1. What time do the gates open on Sunday - in particular the ones you go through during the marathon?
    2. Are the footpaths in good knick? I think I've only ever run on the roads in there.

If it comes to pass, I'll hopefully be going from Connolly, along the quays to join up with the marathon route, then run as far as Dolphins Barn, come off the course and run along the canal, cross the finish line and over to Pearse for the Dart.
    Is there much traffic on a Sunday morning? I'd to have that whole Start/stop thing at lights etc - Cork is fairly quiet on a Sunday morning, so its not usually a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Running in the Phoenix Park:

I've never had the opportunity to train in the Phoenix Park, but obviously I've race in it a few times. I might have the opportunity to do so in a few weeks for my last long run before Dublin. I have a couple of questions:

1. What time do the gates open on Sunday - in particular the ones you go through during the marathon?
    2. Are the footpaths in good knick? I think I've only ever run on the roads in there.

If it comes to pass, I'll hopefully be going from Connolly, along the quays to join up with the marathon route, then run as far as Dolphins Barn, come off the course and run along the canal, cross the finish line and over to Pearse for the Dart.
    Is there much traffic on a Sunday morning? I'd to have that whole Start/stop thing at lights etc - Cork is fairly quiet on a Sunday morning, so its not usually a problem for me.

If I was you I'd run down the quays and in the main park entrance rather than the side gate where the marathon joins. Follow the marathon route until it is about to leave the park but don't leave - just carry on and do a lap of it. The section of the course from the park to Doplhins barn isn't the most scenic or remarkable. There is a climb you'll miss (KM17) but you could do without it to be honest.

Staying in the park will make the run nicer and more relaxing. A lap of the perimeter is 10K

I've run into the park before 7am, at the main Parkgate street entrance. As far as I know, the pedestrian gates are never shut, it's only the road gates that are locked.
    The paths aren't perfect, but they're fine

The bit I'd be concerned about (though maybe one of the locals could correct me) is the road from Castleknock to back in to the park at Knockmaroon. I'm not if there are paths there, and the road isn't great for running on, especially at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

The bit I'd be concerned about (though maybe one of the locals could correct me) is the road from Castleknock to back in to the park at Knockmaroon. I'm not if there are paths there, and the road isn't great for running on, especially at 7am.

I've run it several times the last few weeks. not ideal but there are (narrow) paths

jameshayes wrote: »
    If I was you I'd run down the quays and in the main park entrance rather than the side gate where the marathon joins. Follow the marathon route until it is about to leave the park but don't leave - just carry on and do a lap of it. The section of the course from the park to Doplhins barn isn't the most scenic or remarkable. There is a climb you'll miss (KM17) but you could do without it to be honest.

Staying in the park will make the run nicer and more relaxing. A lap of the perimeter is 10K
    I've run into the park before 7am, at the main Parkgate street entrance. As far as I know, the pedestrian gates are never shut, it's only the road gates that are locked.
    The paths aren't perfect, but they're fine

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    I've run it several times the last few weeks. not ideal but there are (narrow) paths

Thanks all - plenty of info there for me. I'm not sure what's happening yet, but the plan is to do the Donadea 10k on Saturday and I might stay in Dublin that night, so I thought I might just refresh my memory on the early parts of the course.

If the rain is very heavy in the morning ? should I wear a rain coat ? cap ?. Leggings ? Planning to do the final 20 mile training run of my life tomorrow morning. Would hate to have to postpone it :) I know runners are 'hard' but thoughts ? :)

If the rain is very heavy in the morning ? should I wear a rain coat ? cap ?. Leggings ? Planning to do the final 20 mile training run of my life tomorrow morning. Would hate to have to postpone it :) I know runners are 'hard' but thoughts ? :)

If the rain is very heavy on marathon day, what will you do?

(put on extra bodyglide, and have a full set of dry clothes in a waterproof bag waiting for you)

I have a bit of a sore throat,and the rain was very severe. Will do it midweek next week.... If it's very severe in Dublin I'll obviously just do my best anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

(put on extra bodyglide, and have a full set of dry clothes in a waterproof bag waiting for you)

I'm hitting the treadmill tonight - feck that

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

You just don't want to get your shoes dirty :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Skin is waterproof, so nothing.

Wickla snowflake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

davedanon wrote: »
    Wickla snowflake

We'll say nothing about the last time you ran in Wickla ;)

We'll say nothing about the last time you ran in Wickla ;)

cough.....training run....cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Not sure if this is the right place but is anyone else experiencing the Forerunner 235 changing the time on watch every time you charge it recently? Very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Jay D wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place but is anyone else experiencing the Forerunner 235 changing the time on watch every time you charge it recently? Very annoying!

There is a specific Garmin thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055987516

It's amazing how almost inevitably when the body feels worn out, when it's done too much over a period, I get 'sick' and the body ensures it get's a break. Not injured just the 'common cold'.

Guys, been a bit downhill (lol) since I did the 18k around 2 weeks ago. Did a 10k the following week and haven't ran this week at all... just been busy with a friend in hospital. Was thinking of doing 10k a day for 5 days. Is that a silly idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

never_mind wrote: »
    Guys, been a bit downhill (lol) since I did the 18k around 2 weeks ago. Did a 10k the following week and haven't ran this week at all... just been busy with a friend in hospital. Was thinking of doing 10k a day for 5 days. Is that a silly idea?

It sounds like a lot for someone who hasn't run much in the previous 2 weeks. Why don't you get a plan of some sort and try to follow it. Pick a target such as a park run (5k), a 10k race or even a Half marathon and follow a 10-12 week plan running 3-4 times a week. A bit of structure would bring you on in leaps & bounds.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    It sounds like a lot for someone who hasn't run much in the previous 2 weeks. Why don't you get a plan of some sort and try to follow it. Pick a target such as a park run (5k), a 10k race or even a Half marathon and follow a 10-12 week plan running 3-4 times a week. A bit of structure would bring you on in leaps & bounds.

Yeah I know - I am following Endomondo but it reconfigures the plan if I am not running and it's very annoying. Like, if I was busy for a week and didn't run at all it would suggest I run 2x 4k runs and a 6k run as a 'long run'... I know what it's trying to do but it feels like it actually has the opposite effect making me not bother. Anyone else use that?

Advertisement