Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

never_mind wrote: »
    Yeah I know - I am following Endomondo but it reconfigures the plan if I am not running and it's very annoying. Like, if I was busy for a week and didn't run at all it would suggest I run 2x 4k runs and a 6k run as a 'long run'... I know what it's trying to do but it feels like it actually has the opposite effect making me not bother. Anyone else use that?

It's trying to ensure you don't get injured by running too much immediately after a period where you haven't run at all, in which case TBH I'd be following it's advice :). It may be frustrating but really, the worst thing you can do is go out and run a huge amount after a lot of down time. Consistency is key and even if that means a few shorter runs some days when you're stuck for time it's better than nothing at all.

If you get injured you could be off running for months on end....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Get rid of endomondo and follow a specific running plan

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Djoucer wrote: »

Yeah I am really thinking of doing that... can ye suggest one? I have no speicific targets at the min as there is no HM coming up in Dublin area until next year. I am thinking of doing the 10k night run. Open to suggestions.

What I liked about the Endomondo is that it tells ya when to start and go.. lol. And tells ya your distance/speed etc. I have been running since 2014 would you believe and still sound very much like a noob. I'm one of those 'bad' runners who end up in phsyio.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

Djoucer wrote: »

I wouldn't get rid of Endomondo altogether but I would follow a specific plan. It will give you something to aim for, there is no thinking required as to what type of training to do or how far to go .... just follow the plan.

I really like Endomondo to track my run's so I can see my progress especially this year as I am training for DCM. I didn't use it 6 years ago when I last done DCM so I have no record of how I trained and no stats on how I paced myself in the race. I also like to export data to RunningAhead so I can create graphs and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Have had to stop running for bit following surgery...inner thigh muscles are sore (kinds tight like) since stopping running...this sound familiar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Have had to stop running for bit following surgery...inner thigh muscles are sore (kinds tight like) since stopping running...this sound familiar?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Just doing the med 1 form and throwing the physio receipts in with it (she told me I could). However the form says physio has to be on referral from a doc or other qualifying professional. I can find out if she's registered and thus a qualified professional, however she didn't refer me as such. She did it.

So have you ever claimed the tax back on your physio and if so, did you have a doc referral, or just considered it as a referral from the physio themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Just doing the med 1 form and throwing the physio receipts in with it (she told me I could). However the form says physio has to be on referral from a doc or other qualifying professional. I can find out if she's registered and thus a qualified professional, however she didn't refer me as such. She did it.

So have you ever claimed the tax back on your physio and if so, did you have a doc referral, or just considered it as a referral from the physio themselves?

I always claim for physio on med 1. Afaik once the physio is chartered you are entitled to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

I always claim for physio on med 1. Afaik once the physio is chartered you are entitled to claim.

Technically you do need to be referred by a qualified practitioner, you cannot self refer. I have never heard of Revenue ever requesting evidence of this but it could be an issue if they select you for audit testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Bobby1984 wrote: »
    Technically you do need to be referred by a qualified practitioner, you cannot self refer. I have never heard of Revenue ever requesting evidence of this but it could be an issue if they select you for audit testing.

Nothing technical about it. The revenue are v clear. To qualify for relief your health care must be carried out or advised by a registered medical practitioner. They are not shy about requesting evidence either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Howdy all.
    Want to do a 10mile race 28th October as part of training for a HM. Obviously nothing on since it clashes with SCAM.
    Any ideas for an alternative workout to push myself ?
    Thanks,
    F.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Howdy all.
    Want to do a 10mile race 28th October as part of training for a HM. Obviously nothing on since it clashes with SCAM.
    Thanks,
    F.

When's the HM? I think there are a few great HM workouts that you could pick between.

Depending on the answer to the question above...... you could do a progression run of say W/U, 3k HM pace+30, 3k HM pace+15, 3km HM pace, 1km 10k pace, C/D. (I've never actually done that!!! But I've done similar.)

There's the mixed pace stuff.... W/U, 10/12/15 mins @ Threshold (depending on level of fitness and type of workout you've been doing up to this point) + 3 or 4x1km @10k pace (about 90 sec recs) + the 10 or 12 mins of Threshold again, plus C/D.

Another tough session that I remember from Garmin plan is 90 mins with last 30 at HM pace. If you're in great shape you could make the 30 into 40. But like I say, a lot depends on what kind of plan you've been following and how sharp you are. None of the 3 I've mentioned is an easy session, but neither is a 10 mile race!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just realised I haven't taken in any water when training the past 2 months. Now the longest run I've done is only 13.6 miles.

I did 20miles without water before but that's because someone stole my bottle during the run but would not taking water up to half marathon distance during training be ok for recovery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Howdy all.
    Thanks,
    F.

Leinster Novice Cross Country is that weekend if you are registered with a club. Only 6km but would stand to you for your Half Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RasTa wrote: »
    Just realised I haven't taken in any water when training the past 2 months. Now the longest run I've done is only 13.6 miles.

I did 20miles without water before but that's because someone stole my bottle during the run but would not taking water up to half marathon distance during training be ok for recovery?

I haven't taken in in any water during a training run for the last 10 years, and that includes plenty of runs of 20 miles or longer.

It has no impact on recovery whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Running in the Phoenix Park:

I've never had the opportunity to train in the Phoenix Park, but obviously I've race in it a few times. I might have the opportunity to do so in a few weeks for my last long run before Dublin. I have a couple of questions:

1. What time do the gates open on Sunday - in particular the ones you go through during the marathon?
    2. Are the footpaths in good knick? I think I've only ever run on the roads in there.

If it comes to pass, I'll hopefully be going from Connolly, along the quays to join up with the marathon route, then run as far as Dolphins Barn, come off the course and run along the canal, cross the finish line and over to Pearse for the Dart.
    Is there much traffic on a Sunday morning? I'd to have that whole Start/stop thing at lights etc - Cork is fairly quiet on a Sunday morning, so its not usually a problem for me.

The above questions have been answered already, so thanks. I just have one more question. Where is the best place to park?

I haven't taken in in any water during a training run for the last 10 years, and that includes plenty of runs of 20 miles or longer.

Not taking in water on a training run of 20 miles wouldn't be for everyone. Know thyself, and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

RasTa wrote: »

I,m the same don't take water on any training run . Longest recent run would be 13 miles too. I think once you properly hydrate before and after runs its not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

The above questions have been answered already, so thanks. I just have one more question. Where is the best place to park?

Outside Garda HQ has to be the most secure... right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just to back that up... I regularly run 5+ hours two days in a row. It's only on hot summer days that I'd take any water whilst running, or even beforehand. I've got a suspicion that you can train yourself to need less water (the usual stress->adapt pattern), but there's no science to back that up that I've found.

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    Just to back that up... I regularly run 5+ hours two days in a row. It's only on hot summer days that I'd take any water whilst running, or even beforehand. I've got a suspicion that you can train yourself to need less water (the usual stress->adapt pattern), but there's no science to back that up that I've found.

Enduro, I'd say you could be right. But as you know, there are a lot of people here who haven't been doing that and wouldn't want to start implementing it on this week's Long Run!

Providing water 'stops' in 5 and 10k races, given Ireland's normal weather conditions probably doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Itziger wrote: »
    Not taking in water on a training run of 20 miles wouldn't be for everyone. Know thyself, and all that.

Of course there are a lot of runners who wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of running 20 miles without water. I get that. My point was that it doesn't have an impact on recovery, because that's what the OP was asking about specifically.

And it goes without saying that this is applicable to the typical Irish weather. I wouldn't try that in the Mediterranean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Providing water 'stops' in 5 and 10k races, given Ireland's normal weather conditions probably doesn't help.

IAAF Road races Rule 240
    8 (b)For all events, water shall be available at suitable intervals
    of approximately 5km. For events longer then 10km,
    refreshments other than water shall also be made available
    at these points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I'd have to doubt that last point. My calves for instance have pretty much bothered me since the first day I ever put on a pair of runners. Probably one of the best things I've found to help alleviate that is to be well hydrated as my muscles feel much more lubricated and subtle during a run, if I go out mildly dehydrated, I know it straight away as my calves feel like concrete and I'll wake up with dead legs or DOMS after slogging through a dehydrated run.

Water is also hugely important in carrying nutrients like protein around the body so as you are dehydrating on the long run, you have less nutrients available to your organs and muscles which will affect recovery.

Literally everything your body does depends on water and when it comes to recovery and energy, there is nothing that is more important. Even anabolic steroids recovery effects would be hampered by dehydration as the cells need it to benefit. Dehydration also affects your body's ability to use fat as fuel during exercise;), you cannot train your body to adapt to dehydration, it is your blood, tissue, organs, cells and 65% of you. Water is the most valuable thing in your body. It controls everything from performance to recovery to your mood and you will dehydrate on a long run if you are not drinking. Will you die without during a long run? probably not although....Will it affect performance and recovery? The answer is definetely yes to what extent will depend on how dehydrated you get.

Enduro, I'd say you could be right. But as you know, there are a lot of people here who haven't been doing that and wouldn't want to start implementing it on this week's Long Run!

Unless you've got a big race imminent I wouldn't see why not to do it on this weeks's long run. No heatwave scheduled anyway!

A lot of people would question whether it's a good idea based on information they would have picked up about "needing" X amount of water. But a lot of the science that this advice has been based on has been misinterpreted (fails to account for the amount of water contained in food), and has also been undermined for various reasons (disproven in practice, original research often funded by the likes of the gatorade institute etc.).

And that's before getting into the psychological disadvantages of training in an external dependency (illustrated nicely at the Dublin HM recently).

And that's before getting into the psychological disadvantages of training in an external dependency (illustrated nicely at the Dublin HM recently).

Water is not an external dependency, it is what you are made of.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Water is not an external dependency, it is what you are made of.

Amongst many other things. We don't need a supply of all of them on hand to consume while we're running though, do we?

I presume you get the point that I'm making, which is to train in a dependency on having access to water at unnecessarily shot intervals is a dependency on having access to water at those intervals. In a race context, that is usually an external dependency, unless you want to lug the water around yourself (which some people do, but of course the weight of the water will have an effect on speed). Plenty of tales from the Dublin HM of people at minimum being negatively affected psychologically when the water stations were not available as expected.

Amongst many other things. We don't need a supply of all of them on hand to consume while we're running though, do we?

I presume you get the point that I'm making, which is to train in a dependency on having access to water at unnecessarily shot intervals is a dependency on having access to water at those intervals. In a race context, that is usually an external dependency, unless you want to lug the water around yourself (which some people do, but of course the weight of the water will have an effect on speed). Plenty of tales from the Dublin HM of people at minimum being negatively affected psychologically when the water stations were not available as expected.

Your ability to cherry pick is second to none. One scenario disregarding the thousands of races that go off without a hitch regarding water. I was inferring that I thought your post was down right irresponsible tbh. To deny how important water is and science around it is incredible. You may think that the mind needs the greatest training but without the heart, the mind ceases to exist.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Your ability to cherry pick is second to none. One scenario disregarding the thousands of races that go off without a hitch regarding water. I was inferring that I thought your post was down right irresponsible tbh. To deny how important water is and science around it is incredible.

I'm not cherry picking, I'm illustrating with an obvious recent example. In a running race situation there are plenty of other scenarios to illustrate the disadvantages of unnecessary external dependencies, such as relying on taking on water frequently at aid stations.

You're fooling yourself if you think that there is universal agreement on the science behind hydration in sports. You should read in a bit more. As ever, Tim Noakes is one of the leading renowned sport scientists turning conventional wisdom on its head.

How do you think I'm being irresponsible?

• Advertisement

I'm not cherry picking, I'm illustrating with an obvious recent example. In a running race situation there are plenty of other scenarios to illustrate the disadvantages of unnecessary external dependencies, such as relying on taking on water frequently at aid stations.

You're fooling yourself if you think that there is universal agreement on the science behind hydration in sports. You should read in a bit more. As ever, Tim Noakes is one of the leading renowned sport scientists turning conventional wisdom on its head.

How do you think I'm being irresponsible?

Interestingly enough, I have read a bit about Noakes on Hydration and if you want to use Hyponatreamia as a reason as a reason to avoid all water on a 5 hour long run out of fear overhydration, be my guest but you missed the point. just because too much is bad doesn't mean don't take any. Moderation is the key.

Advertisement