Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Zipppy wrote: »
    had major surgery last week..won't be running for 6 to 8 weeks...how long till I regain my fitness?

It's a tricky one to answer without knowing the specifics but patience is key imho.

I missed 10-12 weeks earlier this year due to kidney stones and it's been a long road back to be honest. I'm running regularly now again and doing ok, but learning that I have to recognise my limitations and let my body recover fully.

Listen to your body and take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi, anyone using Decathlon stuff? How is quality? And sizing? Lets say compare to Nike. They seem to be quite reasonable pricewise. Need some winter stuff. Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

kave2 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone using Decathlon stuff? How is quality? And sizing? Lets say compare to Nike. They seem to be quite reasonable pricewise. Need some winter stuff. Thanks a lot.

I don't live in Ireland, however...if it's the same decathlon store as they have in France, then I think their gear is pretty good and I usually get their stuff and never really bother with nike.

Apologies if it's something else tho like an Irish brand that I am not aware of.

I don't live in Ireland, however...if it's the same decathlon store as they have in France, then I think their gear is pretty good and I usually get their stuff and never really bother with nike.

Apologies if it's something else tho like an Irish brand that I am not aware of.

It's the same Decathlon as everywhere. How is the sizing? True to size? Or should I go smaller or larger? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

It's the same Decathlon as everywhere. How is the sizing? True to size? Or should I go smaller or larger? Thanks

To be honest, I'm based in Switzerland and usually, whenever some of my mates are going to France, I ask them to pick me up some Kalenji shorts or running jackets.

I'm a large and so far, true to size. Disclaimer, have never been in the store myself, or have never got winter gear from them.

One has opened in Switzerland but it's a bit away from me. If I get in there, I will let you know. I can tell you, they are rated highly by my Swiss colleagues. Sorry, I know it's a bit vague.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I'm based in Switzerland and usually, whenever some of my mates are going to France, I ask them to pick me up some Kalenji shorts or running jackets.

I'm a large and so far, true to size. Disclaimer, have never been in the store myself, or have never got winter gear from them.

One has opened in Switzerland but it's a bit away from me. If I get in there, I will let you know. I can tell you, they are rated highly by my Swiss colleagues. Sorry, I know it's a bit vague.
    No worries, thanks very much. I can  always return if doesn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Can I pick your brains on adapting training plans?
    I've recently changed to working two days a week which is fantastic but causing me headaches trying to follow a plan! I'm working Tues/Wed one week and then Thurs/Fri the following week. They're long days so the only chance of running on those days would be part of my commute so I could only do easy running, if at all.
    I've followed a few plans from the Faster road running book by Pfitzinger and Latter which worked well for me but I followed them as the book and I'm not used to adapting them. They have one speed session, one LT session, one long run and the rest easy runs per week. There's always two days between the speed and the LT session and one rest day between the LT session and the long run. I just can't seem to figure out how to do all the sessions over two weeks without doing a session on a working day but also allowing for enough recovery. Should I just drop one session every fortnight?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think you look at the sessions and try to get them in. If working Tu/We Try Session monday, Thursday, long run on Saturday and fit the easy runs in around that.

If working Thursday/Friday, Try session on Monday and Wednesday and long run on Saturday. Just figure out what the key runs for the week is and get these done when suits your schedule. Run easy or rest on the other days and don't worry about trying to squeeze in every run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

chickey2 wrote:
    Can I pick your brains on adapting training plans? I've recently changed to working two days a week which is fantastic but causing me headaches trying to follow a plan! I'm working Tues/Wed one week and then Thurs/Fri the following week. They're long days so the only chance of running on those days would be part of my commute so I could only do easy running, if at all. I've followed a few plans from the Faster road running book by Pfitzinger and Latter which worked well for me but I followed them as the book and I'm not used to adapting them. They have one speed session, one LT session, one long run and the rest easy runs per week. There's always two days between the speed and the LT session and one rest day between the LT session and the long run. I just can't seem to figure out how to do all the sessions over two weeks without doing a session on a working day but also allowing for enough recovery. Should I just drop one session every fortnight?

What's the issue with doing the sessions on a working day? I would regulary do sessions in the morning before work and it sets me up for the day. Although I can drive to work, park up, run down to some very very quiet roads and train away and then shower in work, so I'm lucky that way. It's also handy sometimes to have your easy/recovery days on your days off because it means you can get a proper rest

When I do adjust I would move a session a day forward or back and make sure not to do 2 hard days back to back. LT sessions or tempos could be done as a commute.
    I'm a big fan of just setting up a spreadsheet, plugging in my shifts and then sit there with the training plan and fill the sessions into the spreadsheet and just see how it fits. There's something about seeing it laid out in front of you that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What adrian said.

Don't over think the stringent gaps between sessions and before the long run. Try what adrian said and see if you're feeling fresh for your interval and tempo sessions. Most important thing is to be fresh for those sessions. Maybe one day easy or rest beforehand is enough for you. Nothing wrong with being a little tired for your long run either.

Also HBS makes a good point. Try and fit in some running on your commute if possible. It sets you up nicely for the day.

A typical week for me would be six days running alternating easy and hard. I don't have two days off/easy before my sessions. But that works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Zipppy wrote: »
    had major surgery last week..won't be running for 6 to 8 weeks...how long till I regain my fitness?

As people say, depends what it is, and how much the surgery will affect any parts of you you use to run :)

I had major abdominal surgery in July. I'd been told six-eight weeks before I could try jogging, twelve before any racing or trying speed sessions or doing Pilates. I thought that sounded so long, and that I'd be going stir crazy. Actually, walking was enough of a challenge for weeks and weeks.

To cut a long story short, i tried jogging after about 7 weeks, but by jogging I mean run/walking a mile and then having a lie down. I went back to physio for pre-Pilates one-to-one at 5 weeks.

I'm about 13 or 14 weeks post-op now and while I'm way off where I was fitness and endurance-wise, I'm getting there. My longest runs are up to 6-7 miles (I was prob doing 12-13 pre op as my LSR as had no marathons or halfs planned this year), and I've done a few parkruns; I'm about 3 mins off my former times. I'm back to beginner's Pilates and feeling fine.

Yours mightn't take as long, but I was surprised by how much the actual surgery (both in terms of what had to heal and in terms of how the operation and GA wiped me out energy-wise) affected my body, so for me, it wasn't just, 'how much fitness will I lose in 6-8 weeks?', it was 'how will I rebuild my strength to a baseline before I try to regain fitness / speed?'

Hope yours is something simpler, but if it sounds similar, feel free to PM me for more info or recovery tips.

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Can anyone recommend a good intermediate 5 mile plan, preferably an 8 week.

Want to target Raheny and want to start it early December.

Also want to be able to run parkrun flat out, if not every week, alternate weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Lazare wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good intermediate 5 mile plan, preferably an 8 week.

Want to target Raheny and want to start it early December.

Also want to be able to run parkrun flat out, if not every week, alternate weeks.

Personally, I'd go with a good 10k plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lazare you could build a plan around these McMillan 10k work outs

Good ideas guys, thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

HelenAnne wrote:
    Hope yours is something simpler, but if it sounds similar, feel free to PM me for more info or recovery tips.

HelenAnne wrote:
    Good luck!!

Nice post...thank you..only 2 weeks post surgery now..walking is getting easier..might try swimming later in week to start building me up...
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Wise people, what's the thinking behind doubles? I keep reading that you shouldn't do them unless you're at a fairly serious level, which I most definitely am not, but I am trying to up my mileage a bit and struggling to do so time wise. If I was to run in and out of work even a couple of days it would allow me to get a few extra miles in without taking up much extra time. I'm running all easy miles at the moment, so it's not like it would be taxing on the body, I don't think. But I know it seems to be generally not recommended, so am I missing something? I'm currently running approx 30 mpw, give or take a few, and would really like to get it closer to 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

eyrie wrote: »
    Wise people, what's the thinking behind doubles? I keep reading that you shouldn't do them unless you're at a fairly serious level, which I most definitely am not, but I am trying to up my mileage a bit and struggling to do so time wise. If I was to run in and out of work even a couple of days it would allow me to get a few extra miles in without taking up much extra time. I'm running all easy miles at the moment, so it's not like it would be taxing on the body, I don't think. But I know it seems to be generally not recommended, so am I missing something? I'm currently running approx 30 mpw, give or take a few, and would really like to get it closer to 40.

Doubles are a conspiracy foisted onto runners by Big Washing-up Powder and Industrial Washing Machine Complex. They serve no purpose other than to create more stinky clothes.

Doubles are a handy way of getting in more milage in with less impact on the body. Unless you're doing a large volume of miles, all doubles should probably be easy (i.e. no sessions!). At 30 miles a week you're probably better off just making one of the commutes a bit longer (and doing some sessions!), but if it's a case of double-or-nothing then give them a go.

Singer wrote: »
    Doubles are a conspiracy foisted onto runners by Big Washing-up Powder and Industrial Washing Machine Complex. They serve no purpose other than to create more stinky clothes.

:D You know, that's probably reason enough not to do them actually...
    Singer wrote: »
    Doubles are a handy way of getting in more milage in with less impact on the body. Unless you're doing a large volume of miles, all doubles should probably be easy (i.e. no sessions!). At 30 miles a week you're probably better off just making one of the commutes a bit longer (and doing some sessions!), but if it's a case of double-or-nothing then give them a go.

Ah I already add on a fair bit to my commute (I live too near work!) to run for an hour. I'm not getting up early enough to make it longer still! I'm attempting some HADD training at the moment, hence the easy running and lack of sessions. It's testing my patience!
    Thanks for the advice - I might try it out and see what happens anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Doubles become useful at the point where adding extra miles to single days is no longer reaping rewards due to diminishing returns. Where that point lies is different for each of us but at 30 mpw you are definitely better off running singles - from a pure training point of view, that is.

On the other hand, running doubles by commuting in and out of work can make the rest of your life easier because it's just so much easier to organise everything and fitting running into your daily life.

So, if you think running twice a day will make life easier for you then sure, go ahead, but keep in mind that you would get better training returns for the same mileage if you ran singles.

• Advertisement

Doubles become useful at the point where adding extra miles to single days is no longer reaping rewards due to diminishing returns. Where that point lies is different for each of us but at 30 mpw you are definitely better off running singles - from a pure training point of view, that is.

On the other hand, running doubles by commuting in and out of work can make the rest of your life easier because it's just so much easier to organise everything and fitting running into your daily life.

So, if you think running twice a day will make life easier for you then sure, go ahead, but keep in mind that you would get better training returns for the same mileage if you ran singles.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I'll certainly be sticking to singles for the most part but might work in a double or two for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Hi all

had a 2 week break as was stranded... do I start from scratch on my HM plan? Did an 18k a few weeks ago but have done very little since.. a few tens and a few fives.

Thanks
    R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I'll certainly be sticking to singles for the most part but might work in a double or two for convenience.

+1 to this if we are talking from a pure training point I wouldn't be advising people to be doubling unless they were getting to point where there easy runs were exceeding 70 min as 70 min straight would be better than 2x35 min but if the alternative was not doing them I would advise to double up (I know I double a lot to and from work to ensure that I am making best of time and also fitting in training.

If the commutes freed up a bit of time to put into form work and strides even better as most of us worry too much about the extra 1-2 mile here or there when 10-15 min work here could be worth so much more given our terrible form and running economy (like focusing on improving a Ferrari engine but leaving it in square wheels)

Would be highly efficient at driving down steps tbf.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/dublin-marathon-why-we-are-running-out-of-irish-winners-1.3271566
    As runners, I would say the gym should constitute no more than one per cent of your time. Nowadays, you hear the Gaelic boys in particular go on about strength and conditioning, and I don’t consider that a training session at all. They say they train six times a week, including four times in the gym, when to me that’s only training two times a week. I never went near a gym, and never felt I was missing out either.”

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

You ask the thoughts of gerry thats what you get.

While he is a little over the top (as you wpuld expect) on the gaa and rugger buggers, he is not far wrong, most of them can barely run but those games have evolved and are much more about strength and power.

The last paragraph is fantastic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jamule wrote: »
    most of them can barely run

Did you ever see Sean Cronin run, and he plays in a position in which you wouldn't be expecting to do a whole lot of it. Plenty of GAA and rugby players are relatively decent runners and sprinters considering that's not their sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

adrian522 wrote: »

The way he phrased it might be blown out of proportion but I can understand what he is saying. Strength and conditioning can be a great tool to supplement training but shouldn't replace it as you won't become your very best in the gym (alone).
    This might seem a little contradictory to some of my previous beliefs on S and C that I have advocated in the past with people but I think most of us live such sedentary lives that we don't have the physical attributes of older generations to support the training loads so we need to use S and C to supplement and compensate for this.

Remember Usain Bolts S and C coach making a comment along the lines of this a few years back at a talk when he was asked the difference between sprinters in Jamaica and the likes of sprinters in Ireland and the UK and his response was that despite all out gym training we don't spend enough time practicing sprinting.

I know a few GAA coaches have also made similar comments (Mick O Dwyer being one recently) with many of the smaller counties trying to play catch up you see players getting bigger more so than fitter in comparison to say the likes of the Kerry's, Mayo and Dublin's.

Also remember his comments are from a runner (and coach) who has a background with high mileage, also cross country and hills as core parts of their training as well the primary focus is on the specificity of running.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Sports Watch VS Smart Watch

I'm after a new gadget. I have my bandy aul Garmin Forerunner 10. It does exactly what I need, and other things I still don't understand :pac: but it's grand. Only thing is no Bluetooth and with not a pc nor laptop in the house that works, I can't take a proper look at things when I get back. Not that I'm doing anything great to be looking at :pac: Other than that I have no reason to change it. In fact it brings back good memories of 2015 when I was flying through Raheny at break neck speed :D

Anyhow if I'm going to invest in something with Bluetooth, I'm wondering would a smart watch tick all the boxes. Something to record my efforts, Bluetooth to link it to strava...actually if it's a mirror of your phone, Strava will be doing the recording? And i can send sneaky texts in work! The only thing I don't get is a lap button...but I'm Not sure I'm using that correctly anyhow :pac:

So can a smart watch now be used as a sports watch? Does anybody know anything about what I'm talking about? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Sports Watch VS Smart Watch

I haven't used a smart watch, but from what I've read a GPS running watch is the way to go. I have a forerunner 235 - has bluetooth, syncs to the phone, can read texts from the phone etc if required. I never take my phone with me when running though so I don't use the smart features. I think the running watches have a better battery life too.

Advertisement