Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Are you gonna use the same race strategy as Sunday :D:D. It was lovely to meet you in McGrattans - best of luck with the 50 miler!!!!!!

Probably not for this one. :D

It does mean that I have to run London properly though in April as doing the 50 kills chance for a fast Autumn marathon attempt next year. I've a lot to learn between now and then though, including how to carry enough sugar products on me for emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

robinph wrote: »
    The idea of spending double digit number of hours on my feet running through the middle of nowhere terrifies me.

The solution is simple - run faster! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Not sure if this is the thread as I haven't really used any other thread apart from 2017 DCM Novices thread. Just wondering what is the best resource for finding upcoming races? I've looked at a few but none seem comprehensive. I am specifically talking about road races open to non club members. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the thread as I haven't really used any other thread apart from 2017 DCM Novices thread. Just wondering what is the best resource for finding upcoming races? I've looked at a few but none seem comprehensive. I am specifically talking about road races open to non club members. Thanks in advance.

Run Ireland, my run results, Pop up Races & lindie naughton.blogspot.com should help you.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Run Ireland, my run results, Pop up Races & Lindie Naughton should help you.

Thanks for that. Had looked at Run Ireland and seen that Jingle Bells wasn't on the calendar so figured there must be a better site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

skyblue46 wrote:

Munster running blogspot if you're in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Had looked at Run Ireland and seen that Jingle Bells wasn't on the calendar so figured there must be a better site.

Lundie Naughton would be the most comprehensive you can get, already has a good few races listed for 2018.

Munster running blogspot if you're in the south.

Thanks, but skyblue is a reference to the mighty Dubs hahahaha

skyblue46 wrote:
    Thanks, but skyblue is a reference to the mighty Dubs hahahaha

How on earth did i miss that....

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi everyone, I'll be starting marathon training from December, aiming for Limerick City Marathon which is on 6th of May. It will be my first marathon. Was looking for training plan, lots of them online. I know the Hal Higdon plans are popular, however not sure which one to choose. I also like the asics plans. Any recommendations? Been running for a year, done 4 half marathons, PB 1:59:12. Would a sub 4 hours be achievable? I'm looking to fully commit to it, and also work on my weight. Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement

Good place to start is the DCM 2017 novices thread. There's a novice boards plan on there and plenty of good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I'm thinking of doing a 5k next Sunday, two weeks after DCM. I'll be doing very low mileage - just recovery runs really over the next week. Is it too soon for this? My legs are feeling ok, and I'm not too tired. This is usually a 4 miler, but I've just noticed that it's a 5k this year over the same course I bagged a PB on in July. I have to say I'm tempted, but my head is telling me it might not be the wisest thing to do. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking of doing a 5k next Sunday, two weeks after DCM. I'll be doing very low mileage - just recovery runs really over the next week. Is it too soon for this? My legs are feeling ok, and I'm not too tired. This is usually a 4 miler, but I've just noticed that it's a 5k this year over the same course I bagged a PB on in July. I have to say I'm tempted, but my head is telling me it might not be the wisest thing to do. Any thoughts?

You'd be mad not to. Well able. 5k is high intensity but short and pretty quick to recover from. You have serious training behind you. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

2 weeks after marathon sounds good to me. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'm going against the ^^^ lads. Is a 5k really worth risking an injury for? I have learned the hard way that the rule of "no hard running for 1 day per mile raced" holds true, at least for me.

Eliud Kipchoge took a month off running after the sub 2 attempt
    Lizzie Lee takes two weeks off after marathons
    Runners tend to hate the idea of taking time off, but sometimes its the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Question regarding setting training paces. The advice seems to be to plug a recent race into one of the many calculators available but my time from DCM for example predicts a 5k time >28 mins which is quite a way off my 5k pb which also isn't awfully old although i doubt i could run the same time today or tomorrow so i'm not sure which race time i should use or would it depend on the distance i'm training for :confused:

Dist|Date|Time
    Marathon| Oct 2017|4:37:06
    10m| Aug 2017|1:30:xx
    10k|July 2017|52:12
    5k|June 2017|24:36

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

ariana` wrote: »
    Question regarding setting training paces. The advice seems to be to plug a recent race into one of the many calculators available but my time from DCM for example predicts a 5k time >28 mins which is quite a way off my 5k pb which also isn't awfully old although i doubt i could run the same time today or tomorrow so i'm not sure which race time i should use or would it depend on the distance i'm training for :confused:

Dist|Date|Time
    Marathon| Oct 2017|4:37:06
    10m| Aug 2017|1:30:xx
    10k|July 2017|52:12
    5k|June 2017|24:36

You're times indicate that you need to work on endurance more than anything.It might be worth while running a 5K parkrun or timetrial to get an idea of current fitness and basing paces off that. Once you're fully recovered from the marathon obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

adrian522 wrote: »
    You're times indicate that you need to work on endurance more than anything.It might be worth while running a 5K parkrun or timetrial to get an idea of current fitness and basing paces off that. Once you're fully recovered from the marathon obviously!
    That sounds like a simple solution of course! Thanks.

And yes i do lack endurance, another thing to work on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

RayCun wrote: »
    Eliud Kipchoge took a month off running after the sub 2 attempt
    Lizzie Lee takes two weeks off after marathons
    Runners tend to hate the idea of taking time off, but sometimes its the right thing to do.

I'm happy to read this , my legs feel fresh after marathon although have a lingering cough.
    My plan was to do 10k a week for November and then gradually build back up to 50km a week throughout December, how much fitness do you lose with a month off running or minimal running?

• Advertisement

how much fitness do you lose with a month off running or minimal running?

Hard to quantify!
    But running a hard marathon digs you fairly deep into a hole. You have to give yourself some time to climb out, instead of starting training again immediately and digging yourself deeper.

RayCun wrote: »
    Hard to quantify!
    But running a hard marathon digs you fairly deep into a hole. You have to give yourself some time to climb out, instead of starting training again immediately and digging yourself deeper.

It certainly does , ran the parkrun flat out couldn't even break 21 the weekend , about 2 minutes slower than I should be on that course just goes to show.

If the pro's take a month off then that's good enough for me , moderation in everything is good and anyway it will be good fun if I have to work hard to go sub 20 again .

ariana` wrote:
    Question regarding setting training paces. The advice seems to be to plug a recent race into one of the many calculators available but my time from DCM for example predicts a 5k time >28 mins which is quite a way off my 5k pb which also isn't awfully old although i doubt i could run the same time today or tomorrow so i'm not sure which race time i should use or would it depend on the distance i'm training for

First thing I would do is run a time trial and base it off of that but.........

I'm one of those people that likes to have prescribed paces written down and I try to follow to the letter. What Im learning as i go on is that there's constant tweaking and adapting needed. Some days your legs might be tired and the prescribed easy pace feels impossible and you have to slow down. Same with intervals. It's really down to effort and not pace. Some days my 1k intervals might be at 5.30m/mile. Other days 6m/mile pace seems hard.

So all I'll say is definitely use the calculators to guide your pace but feel free to adapt to the effort level. Prescribed paces can be the ruiner of many a good runner!

It certainly does , ran the parkrun flat out couldn't even break 21 the weekend , about 2 minutes slower than I should be on that course just goes to show.

If the pro's take a month off then that's good enough for me , moderation in everything is good and anyway it will be good fun if I have to work hard to go sub 20 again .

Fair enough but HBS said he's feeling fine and the legs are in decent shape. If he'd said he was feeling really stiff, sore, sluggish then that changes everything. If he's feeling fine I don't see the harm in going for a 5k time.

And I normally err on the side of caution.

Itziger wrote: »
    Fair enough but HBS said he's feeling fine and the legs are in decent shape. If he'd said he was feeling really stiff, sore, sluggish then that changes everything. If he's feeling fine I don't see the harm in going for a 5k time.

And I normally err on the side of caution.

?? Sorry I didn't even read HBS post (until now ) I was replying to RayCun advice about how long a break to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

adrian522 wrote: »

Just in relation to this

Most people will see endurance and the natural tendencies will be miles and tempos but people tend to forget that 5k is an endurance event.

There is also another element which gets overlooked. While training for 5k etc you can work on form to he point where you can build endurance while also getting structurally stronger and more durable, 90 min runs on a weekly basis and 5k/10k work in this case can work as well if not better for endurance than just miles and more marathon focused training which can leave a lot of running with poor form due to fatigue you want to get used to running at race paces with good form while also building endurance through consistent training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Would have to agree with TFB and Raycun. You wouldn't believe some of the effects a hard marathon has on your body. it damages the heart, muscles and cells and your body needs time to recover. For instance, it usually takes 3 weeks for damage to mitochondrial cells(Your engine) to recover and although you may feel fine, there is Definetely damage still in there. High intensity efforts like a 5k are the last thing you should be doing after a marathon as you are only prolonging the recovery time for the sake of a race you won't be 100% for anyway.

Right so - as ever I'm indecisive. The heart says Swashbuckler and Itziger are spot on. The head agrees with TFB, Ray Cun and El Caballo. And I can't disagree with science.
    I'm seem to thrive in training when I'm right on the edge - but recovery is a different matter and when I took some time after Cork to recover properly it worked really well for me - although the fact that I was sunning myself in Italy at the time helped!
    The deciding factors - I seem to be developing a sore throat. I'm also taking the opportunity to catch up on a bit of overtime at work. And I'm feeling a bit wussy a the moment - so the thoughts of running around in what is basically underwear on a cold Cork November morning is becoming less appealing. Plus there's a couple of nice beers in the fridge that really want to be drunk on Saturday night - I might have chips too, but no cake. And there's a few 5ks on the Calendar over the next few weeks anyway.
    So its double bubble, beer and easy jogs for me then.

Ray Cun - when you say Kipchoge and Lee take time off after their races - is that no running at all or just no hard training?

Right so - as ever I'm indecisive. The heart says Swashbuckler and Itziger are spot on. The head agrees with TFB, Ray Cun and El Caballo. And I can't disagree with science.
    I'm seem to thrive in training when I'm right on the edge - but recovery is a different matter and when I took some time after Cork to recover properly it worked really well for me - although the fact that I was sunning myself in Italy at the time helped!
    The deciding factors - I seem to be developing a sore throat. I'm also taking the opportunity to catch up on a bit of overtime at work. And I'm feeling a bit wussy a the moment - so the thoughts of running around in what is basically underwear on a cold Cork November morning is becoming less appealing. Plus there's a couple of nice beers in the fridge that really want to be drunk on Saturday night - I might have chips too, but no cake. And there's a few 5ks on the Calendar over the next few weeks anyway.
    So its double bubble, beer and easy jogs for me then.

Ray Cun - when you say Kipchoge and Lee take time off after their races - is that no running at all or just no hard training?

Your call m8!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Your call m8!!!!!!!

It's a bit of this:

https://youtu.be/lmTahAali90

And a a bit that:

https://youtu.be/dUBO8qRgwMo

Advertisement