Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

You should do a Parkrun if there's one local , I run the parkrun flat out almost every week . Straight out of bed and drive to start line with a minute to spare or at the end of a 20 mile long run doesn't matter I toe the line and run it flat out.

I'd personally never pay to enter a 5k race when Parkrun is free , its only 20 minutes anyhow probably won't do you much harm reckon your over thinking it. I don't think 20 minutes flat out will do you much damage. I have no knowledge or scientific evidence to back this up .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ray Cun - when you say Kipchoge and Lee take time off after their races - is that no running at all or just no hard training?

Off running completely afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I'd personally never pay to enter a 5k race when Parkrun is free

If you're interested in times, a 'proper' race that you are invested in will see you running that bit quicker than any parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

@ hbs Well just remember it was your heart that got you through the last 6 miles of DCM ;) maybe your heart is more trustworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

You should do a Parkrun if there's one local , I run the parkrun flat out almost every week . Straight out of bed and drive to start line with a minute to spare or at the end of a 20 mile long run doesn't matter I toe the line and run it flat out.

I'd personally never pay to enter a 5k race when Parkrun is free , its only 20 minutes anyhow probably won't do you much harm reckon your over thinking it. I don't think 20 minutes flat out will do you much damage. I have no knowledge or scientific evidence to back this up .

I'd rather a race - rocking up and registering, pinning on the number and all that lark just gets the mind in the right place. Plus the race is a Cork BHAA race, so it's only a fiver, and there's cake afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I'd rather a race - rocking up and registering, pinning on the number and all that lark just gets the mind in the right place. Plus the race is a Cork BHAA race, so it's only a fiver, and there's cake afterwards.

Only a fiver and they have cake , think I’d pin the number on and not bother running ! Enjoy it .
    I’m a hobby jogger I prefer the parkruns to the races , you can mess around aswell go really fast and blow up or give people headstarts and try catch them ! Maybe I should take this running lark a bit more serious 🤣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

This is going to sound blunt so my apologies in advance. You just ran a big marathon PB after what can only be considered a terrible taper both mentally and physically where at times, you sounded hugely stressed and on the line of physical exhaustion and this was before you lost 7 kilos in bodyweight due to illness in the last week. You ran a fantastic race, pulled it out of the bag and hit your goal despite all of that. Now, it should be time to pay it back to your body and mind and give them what they deserve, REST!!!

The fitness isn't going anywhere and you will be in a much better position to destroy your relatively soft PB in a few weeks on any course once your body has fully come around, now is not the time to be greedy and you know Newmarket is rocket fast as well;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

El Caballo wrote: »
    This is going to sound blunt so my apologies in advance. You just ran a big marathon PB after what can only be considered a terrible taper both mentally and physically where at times, you sounded hugely stressed and on the line of physical exhaustion and this was before you lost 7 kilos in bodyweight due to illness in the last week. You ran a fantastic race, pulled it out of the bag and hit your goal despite all of that. Now, it should be time to pay it back to your body and mind and give them what they deserve, REST!!!

The fitness isn't going anywhere and you will be in a much better position to destroy your relatively soft PB in a few weeks on any course once your body has fully come around, now is not the time to be greedy and you know Newmarket is rocket fast as well;)

Your dead right of course, and I've made up my mind not to do it - everything I've posted since my previous "serious" post has just been a bit of a laugh.
    I had 3 very easy runs last week, each one more enjoyable than the last as the stiffness and tightness eased out. I'm looking forward to more of the same for a few weeks - nice easy running, with no pressure for times or paces - just an enjoyable 45 minutes to an hour or so to clear the mind and get the blood flowing. And maybe some beer afterwards. As a reward, like. ;)

I will go on about future plans etc. but I enjoy that - always looking forward to the next goal and looking at how I'm going to build on what I have, but with the full knowledge that first comes recovery.

What do you reckon for Newmarket then? Sub 19? 18:40 :eek::eek:?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all - I was looking at entry into the Dublin r&r half for next Aug and I see they have regular entry at 40eur and AI entry at 30eur. Can anyone who is a paid up member of an AI registered club opt for 30eur entry? Is that what it means?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all - I was looking at entry into the Dublin r&r half for next Aug and I see they have regular entry at 40eur and AI entry at 30eur. Can anyone who is a paid up member of an AI registered club opt for 30eur entry? Is that what it means?

Yes, that's what it means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Anyone know why the pacers in the NYC marathon don't get balloons or flags to use instead of the stick/paddle type boards they have to carry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

diego_b wrote: »
    Anyone know why the pacers in the NYC marathon don't get balloons or flags to use instead of the stick/paddle type boards they have to carry?

Because they love flaunting the fact that they have the most confusing pacing system ever!

jameshayes wrote: »
    Because they love flaunting the fact that they have the most confusing pacing system ever!

Just looks so impractical, I know the balloons have their issues at time and the flags mean people have to carry a backpack or sort but running holding a placard just looks really inconvenient to the pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Just looks so impractical, I know the balloons have their issues at time and the flags mean people have to carry a backpack or sort but running holding a placard just looks really inconvenient to the pacers.

I never understand this. I ran Chester marathon recently and the pacers all carried little signs which on closer inspection turned out be badminton rackets cleverly modified. They carried them to the finish which can't have been comfortable. The balloons in DCM look a bit cumbersome but they're no bother to run with. IIRC they switched to backpack/flag type things one year but reverted to the tried and trusted the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

snailsong wrote: »
    I never understand this. I ran Chester marathon recently and the pacers all carried little signs which on closer inspection turned out be badminton rackets cleverly modified. They carried them to the finish which can't have been comfortable. The balloons in DCM look a bit cumbersome but they're no bother to run with. IIRC they switched to backpack/flag type things one year but reverted to the tried and trusted the next year.

They had those paddle pacer things year we ran Kinvara Half to I think P. Remember thinking how uncomfortable it had to be for the two lads pacing constantly passing it to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

OOnegative wrote: »
    They had those paddle pacer things year we ran Kinvara Half to I think P. Remember thinking how uncomfortable it had to be for the two lads pacing constantly passing it to each other.

At least it was one between two. I think last year it was flags in backpacks. Also pretty disastrous in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I paced Dublin in 2010 carrying the 3:30 sign. It was a complete pain, I even had blisters from it. I was glad they moved to balloons the following year, and backpacks for a while thereafter

The only issue I see with the balloons (for DCM anyways) is possibly they seem a bit too big, smaller balloons with a bit of a shorter lead might be better. You’d see them anyways even if they were just small balloons as is the case generally in smaller races. I have only done one pacing gig to date and a little note on the back of my t-shirt sufficed but it was only a small race with around 100-150 runners and maybe 20-25 around me at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The only issue I see with the balloons (for DCM anyways) is possibly they seem a bit too big, smaller balloons with a bit of a shorter lead might be better. You’d see them anyways even if they were just small balloons as is the case generally in smaller races. I have only done one pacing gig to date and a little note on the back of my t-shirt sufficed but it was only a small race with around 100-150 runners and maybe 20-25 around me at the start.

Smaller balloons on a shorter lead have the annoying habit of bouncing off the heads of the runners around the pacers.

I was pacing Dingle on a windy day and at mile 15 one runner muttered something along the lines of "I'll have nightmares tonight about that balloon hitting me around the head for hours"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I find it really hard to sleep if I've raced in the evening. Ran a 2-mile race last night at 8, went to bed around 11.30, found it hard to get to sleep and then woke up loads of times and just lay awake, and then woke up for good around 5.30am. I'm always like that after evening races.
    It's bothering me more now though because I'm just recovering from sick leave and running / going to work etc feel more tiring than usual, so I REALLY need my sleep.
    Any tips? (Apart from 'Don't do evening races')?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I find it really hard to sleep if I've raced in the evening. Ran a 2-mile race last night at 8, went to bed around 11.30, found it hard to get to sleep and then woke up loads of times and just lay awake, and then woke up for good around 5.30am. I'm always like that after evening races.
    It's bothering me more now though because I'm just recovering from sick leave and running / going to work etc feel more tiring than usual, so I REALLY need my sleep.

I am keen to see what others say but I am a night time runner... I tend to run after 7PM anyway so I just got used to it, I suppose, but you might not be going to be late enough. Maybe get to bed more at 12.30 once you have cooled down a bit more?

never_mind wrote: »
    I am keen to see what others say but I am a night time runner... I tend to run after 7PM anyway so I just got used to it, I suppose, but you might not be going to be late enough. Maybe get to bed more at 12.30 once you have cooled down a bit more?

Thank you! Maybe I'll try that.

Just to clarify, I've no problem sleeping if I've been running in the evening - during the week I'd do most of my runs in the evening, starting any time between 6 and 8, it's only races that do this - I think it's the adrenaline!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Thank you! Maybe I'll try that.

Just to clarify, I've no problem sleeping if I've been running in the evening - during the week I'd do most of my runs in the evening, starting any time between 6 and 8, it's only races that do this - I think it's the adrenaline!

A well-deserved glass of vino might do the trick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

It's more than likely you're going to bed with the adrenaline from the race still in your system - you might look at ways of dissipating it through a change in your pre-bed rituals (ie no electronics, yoga/meditaion, wind down gradually with lighting, etc) it will be trial and error.
    Or as never_mind said a glass of vino or 7 :)

It's more than likely you're going to bed with the adrenaline from the race still in your system - you might look at ways of dissipating it through a change in your pre-bed rituals (ie no electronics, yoga/meditaion, wind down gradually with lighting, etc) it will be trial and error.
    Or as never_mind said a glass of vino or 7 :)

Yes, I suppose I should do stretches etc instead of watching TV. Might try that! the wine could be counter productive, but maybe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yes, I suppose I should do stretches etc instead of watching TV. Might try that! the wine could be counter productive, but maybe! :)

Also, make sure you do a good few cool down miles to run off the adrenaline that's built up from the race. Plus 1 to the yoga/meditation (not just stretches) in a quiet, low lit room. I'd be surprised if that didn't make a big difference. I've had similar issues and one day I'll practice what I preach :pac:.

Also, make sure you do a good few cool down miles to run off the adrenaline that's built up from the race. Plus 1 to the yoga/meditation (not just stretches) in a quiet, low lit room. I'd be surprised if that didn't make a big difference. I've had similar issues and one day I'll practice what I preach :pac:.

I always do a couple of miles cool down, plus I walk the mile home after that. So maybe yoga or something might help. I’m always rushing around getting things ready for the next day, but I must make time for a wind down. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I always do a couple of miles cool down, plus I walk the mile home after that. So maybe yoga or something might help. I’m always rushing around getting things ready for the next day, but I must make time for a wind down. Thank you!

Do you hydrate fully after racing? Know it affects me sleep wise if I run late in the evening and don't replace the lost fluids..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Endorphins. They aren't that different to the feeling of cocaine, seriously. They both act on your dopamine receptors(happy chemicals) and this causes euphoria and hyper alertness, basically your body dumps these chemicals to deal with pain which is why running is highly addictive. One thing I really find effective in general if I really want to sleep but can't is a nice hot shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

When you're doing heel raises, does it matter if you do them with or without running shoes on?

Advertisement