Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

How do you go about getting a knee scan done - can you just make an appointment with Santry Sports Clinic or do you need a referral from a physio?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

How do you go about getting a knee scan done - can you just make an appointment with Santry Sports Clinic or do you need a referral from a physio?

Thanks

For an MRI you need a referral from a GP, a physio referral will not do (as I recollect)

Best of luck with it J

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6 achilles

Thanks
    I found regular GPs useless when it comes to running injuries so I went to the Mayo Sports Clinic first they refereed me to Santry for a MRI. I guess it depends where you live but make some calls. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Thanks

I got a knee scan recently in The Hermitage Clinic. They required a referral letter from my GP and on receipt of same they contacted me with an appointment date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Looking for a running route in Amsterdam to safely run 9 miles at the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

aquinn wrote: »

https://www.strava.com/local/nl/amsterdam/running/routes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

€59 for a half marathon sounds excessive, doesn't it?

That's what's listed for Dingle half 2018. And €60 for full. I understand that it's an exceptionally beautiful half, but €60 sounds a bit dear for a half!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

positron wrote: »
    €59 for a half marathon sounds excessive, doesn't it?

That's what's listed for Dingle half 2018. And €60 for full. I understand that it's an exceptionally beautiful half, but €60 sounds a bit dear for a half!

Bit much alright.

Now, if it was 59........................

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

aquinn wrote: »

If you are near Vondel Pk you have nice Phoenix parkish options between it and Rembrandt pk.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/30754515

A lap of Vondel is 2 miles.
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/30754512

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    If you are near Vondel Pk you have nice Phoenix parkish options between it and Rembrandt pk.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/30754515

A lap of Vondel is 2 miles.
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/30754512

That's perfect, thank you. Looks like we're staying in practically the same location.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

S & C will do you wonders the physio said. Will be the answer to all your problems she told me. I'm not sure quite what I've signed up to, but week 1 and I haven't been able to move for 48 hours, let alone run! :rolleyes: :pac:

So...muscle recovery? How is it done? I googled and it's telling me to drink protein drinks and foam roll....foam roll! There will be no pressure of any sort applied to any part of my body that is shielded by a piece of muscle :pac: I also don't have access to a bath...which I would otherwise love to sink into!

For the love of god someone must have some thing to take the pain away? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Baths,massage etc make it feel better temporarilyit doesnt make it go away. Next time you train the doms will be less and the following time less again and youll eventually stop getting them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sounds to me like you did too much. I don't think you should be that sore after a session. Like distance s and c is someting to build gradually.

Protein directly after a workout will help.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Baths,massage etc make it feel better temporarily doesnt make it go away. Next time you train the doms will be less and the following time less again and youll eventually stop getting them

Yes. I've heard that it will become less and less....which has kicked off a bit of ambition and.something to aim for lol I'll be built like a tank on no time!
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you did too much. I don't think you should be that sore after a session. Like distance s and c is someting to build gradually.

Protein directly after a workout will help.

I didn't think so either The Muppet. After the first day I was a bit sore but after the second one....oh my god. My limbs took the brunt of it. Stairs and moving from sitting to standing made me feel nauseous :pac: I will try the protein after. Though I had an egg and chicken salad after the other day. I'm not asking him to take it easier on me because I've a feeling he'll make it hell lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Trained for Dublin but didn't run it in the end. Took month off and looking to race 50km in January.

Would I be best just repeating the last 6 weeks of previous marathon plan? Or jump back to further in schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

S & C will do you wonders the physio said. Will be the answer to all your problems she told me. I'm not sure quite what I've signed up to, but week 1 and I haven't been able to move for 48 hours, let alone run! :rolleyes: :pac:

So...muscle recovery? How is it done? I googled and it's telling me to drink protein drinks and foam roll....foam roll! There will be no pressure of any sort applied to any part of my body that is shielded by a piece of muscle :pac: I also don't have access to a bath...which I would otherwise love to sink into!

For the love of god someone must have some thing to take the pain away? :pac:

I signed up for the same form of torture 3 weeks ago. Week 1 i did Wed & Fri s&c, no running but i was ok, i could manage basic tasks.

The following week i did s&c Mon & Wed, easy run on Tues, session on Thurs and i spent Fri/Sat/Sun in some extreme form of agony where going to the toilet became more of a challenge than it was in the days after DCM. No chance of making the planned Fri s&c session or the Saturday/Sunday runs :(

Last week (week 3), same sh*t again i did Mon & Wed s&c, short easy run on Tues, session on Thurs and once again by Fri i was walking around with wooden blocks where my legs used to be :mad:

This is week 4 and I'm really hoping i can finally get to do 3 sessions s&c which was the original plan! Or at least get running again on Fri/Sat/Sun. Watch this space...

But you are definitely not alone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Djoucer wrote: »
    Trained for Dublin but didn't run it in the end. Took month off and looking to race 50km in January.

Would I be best just repeating the last 6 weeks of previous marathon plan? Or jump back to further in schedule?
    What is your current training pattern like? Can you transition straight into week -6, without having to 'up' your mileage, or complete sessions that represent a sizable jump in effort levels? What's the goal for the 50k? Complete it or compete in it (time goal?). Why didn't you run Dublin?

Cheers KC.

Had to pull up in Dublin after slight tear in calf. Recovery went great, rest/rehab. Now doing 50/60km without any trouble with some mile reps/tempos in.

Starting at 6 weeks to go plan would involve 40mins track session on Tues (fartlek/pyramid)

Easy 60 mins Wed, Thursday MP session of 80 mins incl slightly faster than MP second half.

Fri and Sat easy then LSR.

Would want to race is as hard as possible. Mara training was going really well so would like to make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Djoucer wrote: »
    Cheers KC.

Had to pull up in Dublin after slight tear in calf. Recovery went great, rest/rehab. Now doing 50/60km without any trouble with some mile reps/tempos in.

Starting at 6 weeks to go plan would involve 40mins track session on Tues (fartlek/pyramid)

Easy 60 mins Wed, Thursday MP session of 80 mins incl slightly faster than MP second half.

Fri and Sat easy then LSR.

Would want to race is as hard as possible. Mara training was going really well so would like to make the most of it.
    Sounds like you're ready to go into full training again. The only concern would be those (very necessary) four weeks off and the subsequent gradual ramp-up to full training, which will have resulted in a fairly sizable impact on the specific stuff (marathon pace, tempo/LT etc). In my opinion, you'd be expecting too much of yourself to start knocking out the hard-specific sessions that likely feature over the last 6 weeks of your marathon program, without dropping the pace back to something that is more achievable. So dial back the paces completely (and if your body is coping well, gradually increase the pace for the specific stuff, over subsequent weeks). While 50k training isn't hugely different to marathon training, there's no harm emphasizing the endurance side of the training plan, so dial back the pace, lengthen the runs, and use the 6 weeks as a template.

ariana` wrote: »
    I signed up for the same form of torture 3 weeks ago. Week 1 i did Wed & Fri s&c, no running but i was ok, i could manage basic tasks.

The following week i did s&c Mon & Wed, easy run on Tues, session on Thurs and i spent Fri/Sat/Sun in some extreme form of agony where going to the toilet became more of a challenge than it was in the days after DCM. No chance of making the planned Fri s&c session or the Saturday/Sunday runs :(

Last week (week 3), same sh*t again i did Mon & Wed s&c, short easy run on Tues, session on Thurs and once again by Fri i was walking around with wooden blocks where my legs used to be :mad:

This is week 4 and I'm really hoping i can finally get to do 3 sessions s&c which was the original plan! Or at least get running again on Fri/Sat/Sun. Watch this space...

But you are definitely not alone :rolleyes:

Ah No! Don't say that! I'm hoping to be bouncing round like a lamb this week! I managed a 4 mile gentle jog yest. If I can get out this eve I will, before the torture destroys me again tomorrow.

Are you following a running plan too? Are you planning on doing a running session during your week at all, or will the workouts tick that box?

• Advertisement

Cheers KC. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ah No! Don't say that! I'm hoping to be bouncing round like a lamb this week! I managed a 4 mile gentle jog yest. If I can get out this eve I will, before the torture destroys me again tomorrow.

Are you following a running plan too? Are you planning on doing a running session during your week at all, or will the workouts tick that box?

I'm not following a plan at the moment but I'm hoping to start the base plan from the DCM Graduates thread, followed by the 10k-HM plan. Planning to keep 1 track session going but i haven't hit the magic 3 s&C sessions in a week yet.

The plan may have to be tweaked to accommodate the s&c to some degree, maybe i'll drop 1 of the easy runs. I'll prob look for advice on the DCM grads thread once i get started with it.

Basically I hurt my knee 3 weeks before DCM, Physio put it down to weak glutes & core. I got through DCM (by the grace of god) but physio suggested i prioritise s&c at least for the Winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

not been running for last 12 weeks..had kidney surgery 9 weeks ago..told I can run ago at 12 weeks but gonna sneak in at 11 so Christmas running beckons..
    Question is how unfit am I gonna be after 14 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Zipppy wrote: »
    Question is how unfit am I gonna be after 14 weeks?

Not going to kid you, the first couple of weeks are just going to suck. You lose a lot of fitness over 14 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

My GPS watch has measured the two 5k races I've done recently at over 5km in distance. First one was 130m over and the second 60m.

My PB at 5k came in a training run where I was able to stop the watch when it hit 5km.

I was looking for a measurement at where I was over 5k in a race situation but I'm not sure what to think now. I remember the official time of the first race matching my watch's time exactly and having a slightly faster average pace than that training run time, leading me to believe that I would have beaten my PB by a few seconds if it was measured 5km rather than 5.13km.

Are the course measurements a bit off in these cases or is it the Garmin that's off with its tracking of the distance?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

It depends on the race, but any reputable race will be measured exactly, whereas Garmin, or any similar devices will tend to be off depending on various factors. Watches are more for guidance, so I'd always trust a race distance more. Also, be aware that distance of a race as measured by a watch could take in to account any weaving in and out you might do.

My GPS watch has measured the two 5k races I've done recently at over 5km in distance. First one was 130m over and the second 60m.

My PB at 5k came in a training run where I was able to stop the watch when it hit 5km.

I was looking for a measurement at where I was over 5k in a race situation but I'm not sure what to think now. I remember the official time of the first race matching my watch's time exactly and having a slightly faster average pace than that training run time, leading me to believe that I would have beaten my PB by a few seconds if it was measured 5km rather than 5.13km.

Are the course measurements a bit off in these cases or is it the Garmin that's off with its tracking of the distance?

Garmin is almost always off and usually on the generous to the athlete side of things. A training run where you press stop at 5.0k is not a (serious) pb. Sorry.

What I've been doing for years now, as default setting, is put the lap at 1.01 km or mile. It works a treat. I keep it at that for training, races, the works. Much closer to reality I find. I'll check the two marathons I did this year to give yo uan idea of measurement.

Cork came in at 42.54kms and Valencia at 42.58. Both very close to Marathon + 0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Itziger wrote: »
    Garmin is almost always off and usually on the generous to the athlete side of things. A training run where you press stop at 5.0k is not a (serious) pb. Sorry.

What I've been doing for years now, as default setting, is put the lap at 1.01 km or mile. It works a treat. I keep it at that for training, races, the works. Much closer to reality I find. I'll check the two marathons I did this year to give yo uan idea of measurement.

I do this for races - set the race distance longer than the race and work out my target pace from that.

For marathons, i work on 26.5 miles and work the pace accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I took this week off running and said I wouldn't worry too much about eating the wrong things in Christmas season etc; however, I've probably over did it a bit. Looking forward to getting back on the running trail again. Anyone else in the same boat??!!

Advertisement