Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's the main road in and out of Cobh and it's fairly busy, narrow and without footpaths for most of it. There's a nice running trail in Fota Island Resort, if that's where your staying by all accounts. The roads around the other side of Great island might be better, but it's quite hilly as far as I know. If you have time, you can get the ferry into Passage West, run back towards Passage (good footpaths) and onto the old railway line as far as the City from Rochestown.

Hmmm, good to know, thanks. Sounds like the other options you suggested would be better so. Might have to skip the ferry option this time, as I'll have to sneak this in while my boyfriend is watching the rugby and won't notice I'm gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

rxchxy wrote: »
    I'm training for Ironman 70.3 and I'm struggling with the run aspect of it. It's a half marathon and the route is nearly completely flat. The 21km route that I currently do for training is from Sandyford up to Ticknock to 3 Rock over to Tibradden and back. I figured if I could do this route within the allowed time the actual race route should be a walk in the park. It's significantly tougher than the route for the IM70.3 but despite this, the time I can do it in is pretty similar to the time I run 21km on the flat in. I'm putting it down to boredom when running on the flat as I do find it difficult to up my pace when just running quite monotonously. Any suggestions as to how to get quicker on the flat?

Would you find a friend to run with? Running solo can be boring, for some, and so just plod along. Find someone to go out with and see how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

rxchxy wrote: »
    I'm training for Ironman 70.3 and I'm struggling with the run aspect of it. It's a half marathon and the route is nearly completely flat. The 21km route that I currently do for training is from Sandyford up to Ticknock to 3 Rock over to Tibradden and back. I figured if I could do this route within the allowed time the actual race route should be a walk in the park. It's significantly tougher than the route for the IM70.3 but despite this, the time I can do it in is pretty similar to the time I run 21km on the flat in. I'm putting it down to boredom when running on the flat as I do find it difficult to up my pace when just running quite monotonously. Any suggestions as to how to get quicker on the flat?

if you are training on a harder route than the IM70.3 and able to do it in the same time I would assume that on the flat you will be faster add in Race conditions and adrenaline you will run it quicker.

Would it be better to maybe work in a speed session or tempo runs once a week to work on pace and increase your long run distance that is if you are not already doing so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Planning on getting out for a run this evening while the kiddo is at trainings - what should we be wearing this week with the cold. Was out for a walk at lunchtime (warm overcoat, hat, scarf, gloves) - best description was bitter. 2c but feels like minus 2, will only be worse this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Planning on getting out for a run this evening while the kiddo is at trainings - what should we be wearing this week with the cold. Was out for a walk at lunchtime (warm overcoat, hat, scarf, gloves) - best description was bitter. 2c but feels like minus 2, will only be worse this evening.

Baselayer, hat, gloves, buff. Definitely a hi-vis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I went for a run at lunchtime, had a t-shirt, long sleeved jacket (it's a light but warm technical jacket), 3/4 length tights and a hat. By mile 2 I had to take the hat off but was glad of the warm top. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I went for a run at lunchtime, had a t-shirt, long sleeved jacket (it's a light but warm technical jacket), 3/4 length tights and a hat. By mile 2 I had to take the hat off but was glad of the warm top. Enjoy :)

Wuss!!!

Thanks. Was thinking long sleeved running top, jacket, full length bottoms, buff, gloves and either hat or headband. Hoping that's enough but was half considering putting a pair of shorts over the leggings to keep the ar$e warm and a tshirt over the long sleeve top and under the jacket and peeling the jacket off after a few km if needed.

I'm still mentally scarred after the Baltic conditions of Clontarf last Nov, I don't remember ever being so cold in a race, never mind a run, in me life!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm about to head out for 2/3 recovery miles. Long sleeved base layer, t shirt, long sleeved running top and a jacket. Double gloving and a bobble hat too! :D Then again I am a bit of a wuss :pac: Not wearing running leggings is my only pretence at toughness! :pac:

Thanks. Was thinking long sleeved running top, jacket, full length bottoms, buff, gloves and either hat or headband. Hoping that's enough but was half considering putting a pair of shorts over the leggings to keep the ar$e warm and a tshirt over the long sleeve top and under the jacket and peeling the jacket off after a few km if needed.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm about to head out for 2/3 recovery miles. Long sleeved base layer, t shirt, long sleeved running top and a jacket. Double gloving and a bobble hat too! :D Then again I am a bit of a wuss :pac: Not wearing running leggings is my only pretence at toughness! :pac:

You all have me worried now - I'm gearing up to go out for a run shortly and all I have is my usual long sleeved top and leggings. I just assumed I'd warm up but now I'm starting to think I might be found a few yards down the road having turned into an ice statue... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

eyrie wrote: »
    You all have me worried now - I'm gearing up to go out for a run shortly and all I have is my usual long sleeved top and leggings. I just assumed I'd warm up but now I'm starting to think I might be found a few yards down the road having turned into an ice statue... :eek:

I don't like being cold on a run, I knew I'd be peeling off the hat after a while but it took a bit longer than usual - it's a cold wind out there so I'd add a headband/hat to your outfit but otherwise you'll probably be fine - we all warm up at different rates :)

eyrie wrote: »

I was too warm :o It's the breeze that's cold. When it was behind me I was far too warm but when I turned back into it I was glad of the layers. Truthfully though it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm running after work and i'm feeling kind of scared now reading all these! I think i have long running tights, a t-shirt, a long-sleeve layer, a hat and gloves in my bag, at least i hope so!

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm running after work and i'm feeling kind of scared now reading all these! I think i have long running tights, a t-shirt, a long-sleeve layer, a hat and gloves in my bag, at least i hope so!

Don't be scared. It's a bit of ado about nothing. It's not a whole lot different than it was all weekend. The next few days might be different....:D

I just don't like the cold. I wore all that gear doing a tempo Parkrun on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I jogged home in shorts and a long sleeve top. It's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Out at lunch time in my shortest shorts and a sleeveless bib. Wore gloves just in case.

Agreed. I went out and after the first few minutes it didn’t seem any different to normal. My hands were freezing for the first mile or two, but they always are so nothing new there.
    Might be a different story by the end of the week, maybe. Hoping we’re not forced in to the treadmills though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I think 4 layers for running is madness!
    One long sleeved t-shirt and tights did me just fine this morning. And gloves, obviously.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be REALLY cold so I'll wear a singlet underneath the long sleeved top. That did me just fine during the big freeze a few years ago, at -13 degrees, and I don't think this time will be any worse.

When running in the cold the rule is that if you don't feel cold during the first mile then you're overdressed. It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

One long sleeved t-shirt and tights did me just fine this morning. And gloves, obviously.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be REALLY cold so I'll wear a singlet underneath the long sleeved top. That did me just fine during the big freeze a few years ago, at -13 degrees, and I don't think this time will be any worse.

When running in the cold the rule is that if you don't feel cold during the first mile then you're overdressed. It makes perfect sense if you think about it.

I'd argue it's pure wussness rather than madness :pac:

This, I am perfectly happy to accept, perfectly describes me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tights? Wuss. Shorts today but I did wear a short sleeved top with a cold weather running jacket over it.

It's individual though isn't it, some people wear several layers even on relatively decent days, I'd be dead from heat exhaustion within a mile.

• Advertisement

I'm still mentally scarred after the Baltic conditions of Clontarf last Nov, I don't remember ever being so cold in a race, never mind a run, in me life!
    I wore all the above last night (7-8:30pm), had the tshirt over long sleeve with light running jacket, didn't bother with the shorts over leggings. Was just right, zipped down the jacket for a bit, took off the gloves for the last km. But it was a perfect evening for a run where I was, it wasn't skin the face off ya, pain in the lungs cold. It was cool and calm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'm a hard bastid me. Old Skool. Went out balls naked yesterday evening when 'twas about -8 but felt a bit too warm to be honest. Partially flayed myself this morning and sure enough it felt better. Skin, highly overrated and bloody expensive. And if you order the wrong size.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Itziger wrote: »
    I'm a hard bastid me. Old Skool. Went out balls naked yesterday evening when 'twas about -8 but felt a bit too warm to be honest. Partially flayed myself this morning and sure enough it felt better. Skin, highly overrated and bloody expensive. And if you order the wrong size.........

Don't forget the aerodynamic benefits. Skin causing wind drag worth atleast 10 sec per mile

Don't forget the aerodynamic benefits. Skin causing wind drag worth atleast 10 sec per mile

That's uncanny!! Strava has me down as 10 seconds a mile faster for this morning's run. Think I'll peel off the rest before upcoming race. Sure it grows back like, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RayCun wrote: »
    I jogged home in shorts and a long sleeve top. It's grand.

The ironic thing is that I've been trying to do a bit of warm weather acclimation , just in case, by wearing long sleeve tops and t-shirts with arm sleeves on every run, instead of t-shirts. Doesn't really work in the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

There's no need to pretend to be a hard ass. Everyone should wear however many levels they feel most comfortable with.

However, you need to take into account that running itself produces a lot of heat in the muscles and will make you feel warm even though you'd be absolutely freezing in the same outfit if you were standing still. Therefore the ideal amount of layers is less than you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not running at the moment (just over 2 weeks left on the bench!) but to head out right now I'd most likely be in a long sleeve top, leggings, hat and gloves. Each to their own though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Enduro

I do most of my training either on roads heading into the hills, or actually up on the hills. Running around at night in cold conditions in these circumstances I'd very much recommend erring on the side of being too warm. If you're miles away from home running hard with all your gear on and getting too cold, well things can only really get worse not better. There is no way of correcting to get warmer. However if you're getting too warm, you can just shed a layer. Different to training in urban areas, but should be noted that the parameters are different as a result.

Funnily enough I was running across the mountains on Monday night in the nice freezing conditions, a good cold wind blowing with no shelter of any kind across the ridges, but the biggest danger I encountered was catching fire. Some fecker(s) had set off extensive gorse fires. On my return loop the flames were flaring across the trail (which was acting as a firebreak)... had to dodge through the bushes on the far side to avoid a higher risk of incineration. About the last thing I expected to have to deal with!

7.15 i' the morning. Sun coming up...... -11 official, -19 'feels like'. Not a one-long-sleeved-top day I don't think.........

• Advertisement

Passed two people run-commuting this morning on my way to work, fair play. One in shorts, one in shorts plus leggings. And then a non runner strolling around in a t shirt, the mind boggles...
    The cold wouldn't put me off running right now but the slippery conditions definitely would!

Advertisement