Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

eyrie wrote: »
    Passed two people run-commuting this morning on my way to work, fair play. One in shorts, one in shorts plus leggings. And then a non runner strolling around in a t shirt, the mind boggles...
    The cold wouldn't put me off running right now but the slippery conditions definitely would!

Went out with the dog (albeit in snow boots...) and jogged over to the green where he tore off like a hare and I chased around after him :D It's actually gorgeous (temperature wise) but yeah, wouldn't get far in my normal runners so fair play to them indeed. Can I count that as a run for today??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Went out with the dog (albeit in snow boots...) and jogged over to the green where he tore off like a hare and I chased around after him :D It's actually gorgeous (temperature wise) but yeah, wouldn't get far in my normal runners so fair play to them indeed. Can I count that as a run for today??!!

Most definitely :) Deserves a hot chocolate with your feet up as a reward, so it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Any advice for someone who is cracking up at not being able to run because of the snow outside??!! I'm in the East!! :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

payg gym, use a threadmill ;)

or do a core session, youtube will give you some good workouts

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

IvoryTower wrote: »
    payg gym, use a threadmill ;)

or do a core session, youtube will give you some good workouts

Haha thanks! I was thinking the same. Gym is a drive now(roads are treacherous) so treadmill not an option unfortunately so core will have to do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Any advice for someone who is cracking up at not being able to run because of the snow outside??!! I'm in the East!! :( :pac:

If you are looking to do a session. Hit a park or somewhere off road and do time based intervals (as you would for cross country)

If you are looking for sustained work as mentioned hit a gym (if there are any open, mine was closing up as I was leaving)

If you cant leave the house - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CswK7e_Bep8

If you aren't feeling up for running at the moment have a look through trainiing archive here and enjoy - https://www.flotrack.org/search?q=wow&page=1&limit=10

If all that is still making you a dull boy, don't start writing a novel on a type writer. doesn't end well in snow it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Haha thanks! I was thinking the same. Gym is a drive now(roads are treacherous) so treadmill not an option unfortunately so core will have to do!

You could do a Body Coach (Joe Wicks) HIIT workout from youtube? I’ve done some in the past and found the cardio ones good for getting the heart rate up. His warm ups and cool downs are separate videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Gonna get some grass intervals in after work, was sick last week and can't afford to miss another few days with Mullingar coming up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Working from home today. Ran Monday and yesterday to shuffle days around as I've a meeting tonight.. Lots of snow on the ground and it's sunny now, but have to keep an eye on phone and emails. Tomorrow might not be doable if it's very bad, though I do have grips. Multiple laps of a local soccer pitch and grass area would do the trick. Could always look at Friday if it's a little better. Long run on Sunday could be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Kilbogget Park and Clonkeen Park had about 2 inches of snow this morning. It slowed the pace but increased the fun factor :D It provided perfectly good grip. The only time I had to be cautious was when crossing a road, they were indeed slippery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

Hi folks,

Generally how long do you leave it to go back running after a chest infection? Wait until all the antibiotics are finished? Not looking for medical advice, mods please remove if not appropriate.

Many thanks

Graham1882 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Generally how long do you leave it to go back running after a chest infection? Wait until all the antibiotics are finished? Not looking for medical advice, mods please remove if not appropriate.

Many thanks

I don’t think you need to wait until antibiotics are finished. Most important thing is your breathing. This weather may not help as would nearly hurt to breathe anyway. I’d take the first run very gently and see how you go.

Kellygirl wrote:
    I don’t think you need to wait until antibiotics are finished. Most important thing is your breathing. This weather may not help as would nearly hurt to breathe anyway. I’d take the first run very gently and see how you go.

Thanks Kellygirl going crazy not being able to do anything.

Graham1882 wrote: »
    Thanks Kellygirl going crazy not being able to do anything.

Yep - been there before. Would you try a walk even just to see how your breathing is? They say it’s ok to exercise if the illness is all above the throat but if below you should rest - or something to that effect!!

Kellygirl wrote:
    Yep - been there before. Would you try a walk even just to see how your breathing is? They say it’s ok to exercise if the illness is all above the throat but if below you should rest - or something to that effect!!

Cheers Kellygirl I'll have to give it a try.

Kellygirl wrote:

Cheers Kellygirl I'll have to give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Went out today in trackpants, skins jox, under armour long sleeve base layer, long sleeve top, jacket, hat, buff and 2 pairs of gloves. Waaaayyy too much gear- was fairly sweaty after a mile or so. Long sleeve and shorts would have done. Although the sun was shining at that point to be fair and felt a bit warm when I had the wind at my back. The unspoilt dry powdery snow was very easy to run on - not at all slippy. I'm going to chanve going out tomorrow early before the worst of it starts, but stick to the park. I'll give the Lidl yak traks I bought after 2010 and never used a bash I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Anyone know what the story is re donating blood and running? I see there’s quite a blood shortage atm and want to donate for the first time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No problem with it, unless you've a big race coming up or just done.

(I'd a mobile clinic come about two weeks before the marathon and they advised me not to donate in that circumstance. Got my chance instead when they came back a few weeks ago.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is re donating blood and running? I see there’s quite a blood shortage atm and want to donate for the first time.

It shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't do a session later that day though and maybe just easy running for a day or two after. Make sure to drink loads of water too.
    They're very short at the moment due to cancelled clinics and people not making it in so anyone who can should try and donate. You can find a local clinic here https://www.giveblood.ie/Find-a-Clinic/Clinic-Finder/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Rossi7

As long as your hydrated and have drunk plenty of water on the day there's no issue with you given blood either before or after your run. As was mentioned above, unless you've got a big race coming up  then they'd recommend you to come in a week or two afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Only saw this earlier during the week, a graphic which helps you visualise how different blood types can be distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

chickey2 wrote: »
    It shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't do a session later that day though and maybe just easy running for a day or two after. Make sure to drink loads of water too.
    They're very short at the moment due to cancelled clinics and people not making it in so anyone who can should try and donate. You can find a local clinic here https://www.giveblood.ie/Find-a-Clinic/Clinic-Finder/

Yep, that's why I'm looking to donate. There'll be one nearby on Sunday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

My random question - is there any reason why hills would not be incorporated into every run? (Tempos, intervals, long slow, shorter slow etc)

Any disadvantage to doing so? If hillwork is so important I’m wondering why not?

Goose76 wrote: »
    My random question - is there any reason why hills would not be incorporated into every run? (Tempos, intervals, long slow, shorter slow etc)

Any disadvantage to doing so? If hillwork is so important I’m wondering why not?

I suppose for the same reason you wouldn’t do speed work every day? But then if you live in a hilly area and it’s something you are used to or have to do then as long as they aren’t too steep as surely it would be stopping you maintaining a certain pace consistently?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Goose76 wrote:

Goose76 wrote:

I'm gonna be brave here and not wait for the more knowledgeable people to come in...... Here's my two cents....
    Nothing wrong with having hills in a long slow run or shorter slow as long as the effort level is what it should be throughout ie. effort needs to ease off going up the hill.

By tempo I assume you mean Lactate threshold run? If so then there's nothing wrong including hills here too as long as the effort is right. If you're meant to be running a LT run and you blast up a hill at the same pace as the rest then you're no longer doing an LT run.

As for intervals it all depends on effort here too. If you're meant to be doing 5 x 1k intervals at 10k race effort then you need to account for that on the hills. Most people don't and push on up the hill and probably push into 3k or 5k effort territory.

So basically, in my opinion, having hills is fine as long as the effort level adjusts accordingly. Personally I prefer to run my intervals on relatively flat routes. Tempo I'll take out onto the roads. Long and easy runs I'd always have some undulations and drags but effort needs to fall back on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I usually do shorter, harder intervals on the flat, because it's harder to judge the appropriate effort going up or down a hill.

At the moment, a lot of my runs are fairly flat because that's what's available on my commute/near work. When I have more time/a longer run to do, I look for a bit of variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Is popupraces.ie volunteer ran or is it a for profit does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Pop-up are a chip timing company.
    Race organisers pay them to do results.

Sizeable operation & for profit.

Can manage 2/3 events at same time in different locations.

Advertisement